Tips for someone switching from PS4 to PC

I have been playing 7 days since it came out on PS4 and I love it. My buddy is getting a new computer and he is giving me his old one and the first game I'll be playing is this one!

Any one else who made the switch have any tips for me? I can't wait to get going on a new seed for PC.

Spam crafting does not exist on PC. When you have 0 skill in tool crafting, you make tools at QL25. After that it's QL50xskill rank.

Workbench combining is different. You get more increase per item but you can only combine to QL100 above what you can craft.

New zombie types can drop specific loots: Skater is your source for Mechanical Parts before you get a wrench. Skaters, cheerleaders, and business zombies can drop cloth and leather goods. Bikers can drop minibike parts. Western zombies can drop hunting rifles...

And if you have never seen the sky-scrapers, you're going to have a great time.

Spam crafting does not exist on PC. When you have 0 skill in tool crafting, you make tools at QL25. After that it's QL50xskill rank.

Workbench combining is different. You get more increase per item but you can only combine to QL100 above what you can craft.

New zombie types can drop specific loots: Skater is your source for Mechanical Parts before you get a wrench. Skaters, cheerleaders, and business zombies can drop cloth and leather goods. Bikers can drop minibike parts. Western zombies can drop hunting rifles...

And if you have never seen the sky-scrapers, you're going to have a great time.

So no more spending nights just crafting stone axes and wooden clubs? That'll be different lol

I've watched a few youtube video's, but I mostly want to be suprised.

As someone who was in your position a few months ago, heres some tips. Yes, spam crafting is gone in A16, but with the ability to go back to previous alphas, thanks to steam, you could go back one alpha and play with spam crafting. I would advise against this tho, as A15 had no shortcut keys. That alone has revented me from playing in A15.

Also, there is a small mod, called Progression Lite Mod, or Lite progression mod. It actualy has the BEST type of progression, one makes senese. Your tool/weapon/armour crafting is tied to the skill level. So using stone axes will allow you to make better claw hammers/wrenches, using stone shovels will improve your minning tools, etc etc. one interesting thing here tho, in order to power level science, make gun powder.

Be quiet when you enter buildings, make noise and the sleepers will wake up. So be prepared, you use a gun, you will wake the whole town, then you will have lots and lots of zombies after you.

The biggest, baddest, most dangerous zombies are the irradiated zombies. They drop no loot or it is crap loot.

Stay out of the wasteland and burnt biome until you have some experience, there are bombs in the wasteland, also dogs, vultures and snakes. Desert has snakes and vultures, sometimes wolves, plains and forest has all of them, snow biome I don't think it has snakes, but it has the rest.

Expect to die a lot at the beginning, see it as boot camp, learning experience.

Another great mod for new players is War of the Walkers, make sure you chose the one with the bigger backpack, I can only remember it has something like BB something of the two choices.

The most important thing. Remember it is just a game and have fun.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I've wanted to switch for a long time but as a full time nursing student with a baby on the way, funds for a new PC that can run this game aren't a top priority lol. I'm super pumped that my buddy is giving me his old one so I can start playing on PC. I've heard about the new zeds and I can't wait to go toe to toe with them.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I've wanted to switch for a long time but as a full time nursing student with a baby on the way, funds for a new PC that can run this game aren't a top priority lol. I'm super pumped that my buddy is giving me his old one so I can start playing on PC. I've heard about the new zeds and I can't wait to go toe to toe with them.

You also get access to all the mods and work that the modders do in the game which is pretty damn impressive.

Good show!

You will also want to download this tool as it is your key to the Cave of Wonders for all things 7 Days to Die and truthfully the most dynamic and amazing difference between PC and PS4 versions of the game...

Sphereii's Mod Launcher

Apocalyptic General Surgeon's Warning!

Use of Sphereii's Mod Launcher is known to cause addiction to 7 Days to Die and all the mods within it. This is your final warning!

From day one you should learn to sneak - mostly when necessary. When entering buildings, entering POI's in general, when exploring a building, approaching a corner... I also run up towards an animal I've killed and then sneak up to it and slice it up for dinner. It'll make everything a lot easier when it becomes second nature!

Since you are migrating from PS4 to PC, I'd recommend you first try out everything that's new in a single-player game, or if you feel the need to jump into multiplayer, on a vanilla (unmodded) multiplayer server. You COULD jump immediately into modded servers, but that just adds to what you may need to learn on top of what's different in the vanilla PC version already. Right now, many server populations are lower than usual because we're so far into A16.4, waiting on A17, so you may not have a lot of people to work with on some servers right now. On the plus side, those servers that have been running the same maps since the last required wipe are full of abandoned bases, some of which might still have workstations or loot in them.

If you need a server to learn on, hit up All Night Gamers servers in the vanilla server list. I'm already set up nicely there, and the people there can be very helpful. The admin runs a script about once a week to "repaint" areas of the map that have no LCB in the region, to reset the areas back to their original state if damaged or otherwise changed. Also, a good source of info about the game is a site called the 7 Days Database.

https://www.7daysdb.com/

and here's the site for All Night Gamers servers. Rules and other important info can be found here, along with a way to contact an admin in case of emergencies (serious bugs, cheaters, etc.)

http://www.allnightgamers.com/

I've migrated from PS4 to PC about a month ago when I got my new laptop, and while I have thoroughly enjoyed and logged many hours on the PS4, I have not looked back. Since the change, these are some of the things off the top of my head that I have experienced:

• As previously mentioned, no more spam crafting. This was a staple of passing the night hours for me.
  • Cobblestone! On console, you would make frames and fill them in. On PC, you make flagstone blocks and then upgrade those to cobblestone.
  • Also mentioned; Sleepers. They certainly make early game building looting potentially dangerous and demanding of a degree of caution.
  • Pigs have been replaced by wild boars. They become aggressive only if you attack first. Don't underestimate them early game if you're aiming to get some meat from them.
  • In addition to zombie dogs, there are wolves roaming the wild. If you're within decent range of them, you can hear their howling as a warning, but they can sneak up on you. Unlike the dogs, they drop raw meat.
  • Your mini-bike is no longer your own personal mobile slaughterhouse. Running into animals or zeds only collides with them instead of doing damage.
  • You can no longer wrench workstations you find in POI's and take them with you. It's also likely that about half the ones you find are "broken" versions, and act more as lootable containers.
  • Forging steel requires you craft a crucible as an add-on tool for the Forge (replacing the caliper spot, if I remember correctly).
  • There are two "fluffy" zombie types that appear early game: Hungry Zombie (a.k.a. Big Bertha) and Disturbed Tourist (belches like a cop zombie). While you can still whack-a-mole zombie heads with your club with effectiveness, I prefer to head shot these guys with the bow & arrow early on as their bulk can make it difficult to safely club these guys on the head, even more so than the bloated "Edgar" zombie. Berthas can potentially drop garden hoes, food, and beer early on.
  • Try not to go overboard with adorning your base with torches. From what I can tell, they have more intense heat generation than on console, and could draw screamers.
  • This style of base on console was my bread & butter:
    , but is not even nearly as effective on PC. Instead, I've been using this design to much enjoyment: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?83218-Best-Horde-Night-Defense.

That's all I can think of for now. Sorry if I went off the rails a bit. I'm having such a blast playing in vanilla, I don't even know when I'll start venturing into Mod territory. :smile-new:

Boars don't even notice you until you attack them, meaning you can sprint up to them, crouch, and shoot them with a point blank arrow to the face for a sneak attack. Even when I replaced the Zombie dog packs with Boars, no aggro. Also, today I looted a wrench from a Hungry Zombie. That was a first.

Honestly, the minibike issue was my main beef when I switched to PC, but now I had forgotten about it. Wow.

I've migrated from PS4 to PC about a month ago when I got my new laptop, and while I have thoroughly enjoyed and logged many hours on the PS4, I have not looked back. Since the change, these are some of the things off the top of my head that I have experienced:

• As previously mentioned, no more spam crafting. This was a staple of passing the night hours for me.
  • Cobblestone! On console, you would make frames and fill them in. On PC, you make flagstone blocks and then upgrade those to cobblestone.
  • Also mentioned; Sleepers. They certainly make early game building looting potentially dangerous and demanding of a degree of caution.
  • Pigs have been replaced by wild boars. They become aggressive only if you attack first. Don't underestimate them early game if you're aiming to get some meat from them.
  • In addition to zombie dogs, there are wolves roaming the wild. If you're within decent range of them, you can hear their howling as a warning, but they can sneak up on you. Unlike the dogs, they drop raw meat.
  • Your mini-bike is no longer your own personal mobile slaughterhouse. Running into animals or zeds only collides with them instead of doing damage.
  • You can no longer wrench workstations you find in POI's and take them with you. It's also likely that about half the ones you find are "broken" versions, and act more as lootable containers.
  • Forging steel requires you craft a crucible as an add-on tool for the Forge (replacing the caliper spot, if I remember correctly).
  • There are two "fluffy" zombie types that appear early game: Hungry Zombie (a.k.a. Big Bertha) and Disturbed Tourist (belches like a cop zombie). While you can still whack-a-mole zombie heads with your club with effectiveness, I prefer to head shot these guys with the bow & arrow early on as their bulk can make it difficult to safely club these guys on the head, even more so than the bloated "Edgar" zombie. Berthas can potentially drop garden hoes, food, and beer early on.
  • Try not to go overboard with adorning your base with torches. From what I can tell, they have more intense heat generation than on console, and could draw screamers.
  • This style of base on console was my bread & butter:
    , but is not even nearly as effective on PC. Instead, I've been using this design to much enjoyment: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?83218-Best-Horde-Night-Defense.

That's all I can think of for now. Sorry if I went off the rails a bit. I'm having such a blast playing in vanilla, I don't even know when I'll start venturing into Mod territory. :smile-new:

Awesome list thank you!

Get an ice pack. Your going to be kicking yourself for not switching sooner.

I agree with this person. The game on Pc is so much better than console its the most updated plus it has mods and its easy to mod things yourself if you want to. For an easy start I reccomend the desert biome if you can go there on day one. During day 1, the weather/temp survival system doesn't take effect till day 2 in the morning. So use this time to gather as much Yucca and Aloe Vera as you can get. Yucca for food+stam restore+can be turned into water, Aloe vera for first aid bandages. If you somehow get 20 leather, you can make the poncho and then a grass hat the one that lowers temp by -10. Then you can stay in the desert, also getting the shorts+t-shirt off zombies will also let you stay there with that grass hat. Desert thing ain't a rule but, its what I tend to do if I start near a desert biome.

Not sure if A15 had wolves, but if it doesn't a16 DOES have them so watch out for them, they are lethal. Usually you'll hear one howling before you'll see it. Vultures though annoying to kill at times, are a great source of feathers.

Also stealth is a thing now in a16, at night you can move around crouched and most zombies won't see you unless you get REALLY close. Darkness is your friend, using the light on a mining helm will also alert zombies to you in a16 as well, so night vision is the way to go when exploring a poi.. as much as I hate it. I modded the light intensity of the mining helm so low that zombies don't detect it now, its still just as bright in game, but it doesn't draw any zombie it shines on after me anymore after I changed it.

Lastly. Welcome to the pc version of 7 days to die, have fun. We have alpha 17 on the way which from if you check the dev diary, is going to feel like largely a new game, so you got that to look forward to.

Id did the switch a mont or so back its a much better game on the pc than ps4.

Say goodbye to "sensed" though, your bow crosshairs are gone =( but the new compound bow is awesome.

If you been playing a lot on p4 then id advise going into a random gen world as I played on nave after I did the switch nad got bored of it too quickly and wished id just started in rwg which I wish id done from the start.

Also I tried kb and mouse and didn't get on with it even though I play other games with kb it just seemed too weird so I prefer the controller over the kb any day. Controller support is working and works well as long as you turn off the stream overlay first

Archived