Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

I think I found a bug:
My selected start class was mechanic. So I skilled wepons, tool crafting ...etc all what was needed to get forged steel without laborer (?) class. That worked. BUT after I crafted other class books from scrapped reciepts ( I read them all but only spend 3 times 10 points to mastery on some of them), I cant craft steel anymore, The pearks for hammer & forge and some other stuff I already spent skill points where somehow reset. My guess is that it has to do with reading laborer class book.

1 hour ago, Liesel Weppen said:

When and how many water is consumed?

So the different grow stages might be explained by one growing crop uses up a block of water and shortly after the next crop grows but hasn't any water anymore, because it was used by the other crop before? Even when using a rain catcher? (Shouldn't happen if i look at how many blocks the rain catcher spawns and they are all in range of 4 blocks, but i still don't know how much water is needed and how much these partly water blocks are). And that also delays their total grow time because they skipped one growth check? What in the end makes the practical growth time longer then their theoretical 3 hours?

The apple trees are still not fully grown, after ~6 hours (From murphys law they will grow soon when i continue my test, but that's almost a whole ingame week! That's very very long). I also wondered, because the regular trees we planted nearby grew much faster.

As I said, water is typically consumed on the plants update tick, which is approximately 3 hours.

Now, how much? That's harder. It's SUPPOSED to be just 1 block per plant but it's often more than that. That's why people use the rain catcher because it spawns water more often. I'm not gonna go break down the exact math on when/where/how much each plant needs.

Just make a damn rain catcher and go "Ok, i'm good." 😛

And fruit trees,

Seed stage - 3 hours.
Small stage - 4 hours.

Total time to go from seed to fully grown with fruit - 7 hours.

And remember, that's an ESTIMATE. I put 180 in the file for how long I want it to take, the game adds some randomness to that, so it can be slightly earlier, or slightly later... PER STAGE.

And that ONLY applies to fruit trees. Normal trees were not changed.

9 minutes ago, WhiteLion said:

I think I found a bug:
My selected start class was mechanic. So I skilled wepons, tool crafting ...etc all what was needed to get forged steel without laborer (?) class. That worked. BUT after I crafted other class books from scrapped reciepts ( I read them all but only spend 3 times 10 points to mastery on some of them), I cant craft steel anymore, The pearks for hammer & forge and some other stuff I already spent skill points where somehow reset. My guess is that it has to do with reading laborer class book.

If you read the laborer class book and take the laborer class, then yes, that will happen. That is INTENDED.

If, for some reason, you decided to read the laborer book despite already having the class...

1) I probably can't do much about that.
2) WHY?

33 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

As I said, water is typically consumed on the plants update tick, which is approximately 3 hours.

Now, how much? That's harder. It's SUPPOSED to be just 1 block per plant but it's often more than that. That's why people use the rain catcher because it spawns water more often. I'm not gonna go break down the exact math on when/where/how much each plant needs.

And fruit trees,

Seed stage - 3 hours.
Small stage - 4 hours.

Total time to go from seed to fully grown with fruit - 7 hours.

And remember, that's an ESTIMATE. I put 180 in the file for how long I want it to take, the game adds some randomness to that, so it can be slightly earlier, or slightly later... PER STAGE.

And that ONLY applies to fruit trees. Normal trees were not changed.

If you read the laborer class book and take the laborer class, then yes, that will happen. That is INTENDED.

If, for some reason, you decided to read the laborer book despite already having the class...

1) I probably can't do much about that.
2) WHY?

Well I did read other class books because:
- I never thougth that it could be a disadvantage and it could lock things up that I skilled before.

- As I get the class stuff there are skillpoints that could be spend into class pearks without putting them to mastery. Therefore I read more than one class book. - Isn´t that intended !?
- To get it right: I didnt read any class book twice (inclueds laborer), all different. I just discriped that I went an alternated way to craft forged steel. Again:
I followed the description of "forged steel" .... It says: tool crafting 3, weapon crafting 3 ...or so and then "NO LABORER CLASS NEEDED" ... that worked -> I could craft steel, ~30 level later I read for first and only one time the "laborer class book". The point I spend before into "hammer and forge" where gone and I could not craft "forged steel" anymore.

Edited by WhiteLion (see edit history)

You can read more than one class book.

Some classes reset perks that they would not normally be able to buy, like Forge Ahead and Steel Crafting if you take Laborer. You get those points back so you can spend them into the appropriate perks.

This is for 2 reasons.

1) When I didn't lock off those perks, people bought them, and then complained about loss of skill points.
2) When I DID lock off those perks, but did not refund skill ponts, people complained about loss of skill points.

Check your skills. If it says "No X Class" that means you will lose access to that perk when you take that class, because the class has access to it's recipes already built into one of it's classes. You will also often get a refund of the skill points for that perk.

EDIT: To clarify, Forged Steel does NOT say "NO LABORER CLASS NEEDED".

It says "No Laborer Class."

I.E: You can only purchase this perk IF YOU ARE NOT a Laborer.

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

ok, I get the points back... that seems to be fair, I didn´t notice that. Thank you for your detailed reply :)

PS: Would be interessting to know which skills are resetted before reading a class book. I my case I ve the spent 10 point into laborer mastery
to get steel crafting back (I guess).

47 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

Does absolutely not fit to what i observed. So my test with a water block grew 3 plants to full stage and several other plants at least to growing state before the single water block vanished.

So to be clear, there are several update ticks, at least one for each state. So the water seems to be consumed only when the plant is switching to it's final state.

I USED a @%$#ing rain catcher!! I posted several screenshots of what i built! It's STILL NOT growing as expected. It's much slower as you said (>4 hours, not just ~3) and still not all plants grew, even if there was water from the @%$#ing RAIN CATCHER! You can see it on the screenshots, there is water directly under almost every dirt block.

And if i don't build an elevated dirt area, so the water can not spill underneath, there are fewer waterblocks from the rain catcher in range that can be consumed if plants grow (or one growing plant removes a block and the next one then misses their grow step, because just in this second there is no water anymore). So i guess, the results would be even worse. That's like what i saw in the real game i'm trying to play, after several days (>8!) only few (3-4) of them reached final state, the rest is still just "growing" or even still "seed".

So as many tutorials say, a rain catcher just 2 blocks deep (with some space around it) should be enough to water a 9x9 area, only performs really poorly. It seems to work but it will only grow few crops a time, so it will take literally ages to grow all plants on the field. It's not even reliable for just a 7x7 area.

That's what i want to understand!

Edited by Liesel Weppen (see edit history)

I checked and I was slightly wrong. It's 2 hours PER STAGE. So 2 hours from Seed to young plant, 2 more from young plant to harvestable plant. I don't, off the top of my head, remember how often the update tick is but it checks for water every tick.

And yes, the best way to do it is to either build a raised area, or dig about 2 blocks down and create some deep channels with a rain catcher somewhere near the middle so it can spawn on top and then flow along all sides.

And I know people keep saying "Oh, you can do a 9x9 or a 7x7." and I keep telling them "Don't do that, do a 5x5 with the rain catcher in the middle."

Because that's what I test with and use when I play, and it works great.

I am absolutely, 100%, not going DLL diving to find out exact specifics on when update ticks fire to get any kind of estimate on how long it takes plants to grow. They're supposed to take a while. Folks in the discord have it working great. That's good enough for me.

4 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

I checked and I was slightly wrong. It's 2 hours PER STAGE. So 2 hours from Seed to young plant, 2 more from young plant to harvestable plant.

Ok, so that also confirms my observations. It's ~4 hours to grow them to final stage (if there is sufficient water at every growth tick all the time).

1 minute ago, KhaineGB said:

And I know people keep saying "Oh, you can do a 9x9 or a 7x7." and I keep telling them "Don't do that, do a 5x5 with the rain catcher in the middle."

Because that's what I test with and use when I play, and it works great.

I never read that. You could have said that when i asked first why i doesn't grow. ;)

But ok, so in the end you confirm my observations and theories on how it works. 

Since i know the times now and how the water consumption works, i can deal with it.

1 minute ago, KhaineGB said:

I am absolutely, 100%, not going DLL diving to find out exact specifics on when update ticks fire to get any kind of estimate on how long it takes plants to grow. They're supposed to take a while.

Didn't expect you to do code dives and hand out detailed numbers, but i expect you to know how it works in general, and obviously you do. ;)

Yeah, I find the 5x5 works the best. I do it like this.

X X X X X
X X X X X
X X W X X
X X X X X
X X X X X

X is either hoe'd ground or farm plot. W is where I have the rain catcher.

With a raised area, I find the rain catcher in that spot spawns enough water to fill ALL space underneath the farm plots/dirt on a regular basis so plants grow more consistently. :)

2 hours ago, morph said:

The xbox controller has it working fine now. How do you tell the time on the game however? Nothing on the map screen.

How do you activate Big Screen mode too on the launcher? It says I need to activate it in Steam before loading, but as my 7d2d launcher version of the game can't be loaded from Steam I don't know what to do.... 

11 hours ago, morph said:

The xbox controller has it working fine now. How do you tell the time on the game however? Nothing on the map screen.

You go to a trader, use a vending machine or find/make a watch. No time is intended. As for big picture, no idea. I don't use it.

8 hours ago, goughy0908 said:

love darkness falls but have updated to newest version and when the airdrop comes in the game crashes what can be the problem please help

No idea what's going on there. I did have a patch for air drops, but it was buggy so I removed it.

Well, I do not know what is going on. I have just installed 7DTD server, verified 19.2 Stable. I then downloaded and extracted Darkness Falls 19.2 Server. And copied over the files and overwrote where asked. 

I then did the same on gaming pc with Client and verified 19.2.
I then Launch using the 7dLauncher with EAC disabled.

So the issue. I cannot get into the server. It goes through all the steps. It Downloads the world, then crashes at creating character. I get the ***err simpledeserializer (ch=0)*** and ***EndOfStreamException: Failed to read past end of stream*** Errors. 

Both Client and Server are on Alpha 19.2 Stable build. And I used the Alpha 19.2 Downloads from Page1 here. A google search Vaguely says it could be Client and server are on different versions, but they aren't. So some help would be most appreciated!

Edited by Mrtechit (see edit history)

On 12/4/2020 at 3:46 PM, ALT_Pain said:

how does the elevator work like i have a ground and 1 floor but how do it to go up an down without going to the floor i need an calling it or is tht all it does

EDIT: nvrmind

Did you solve this? I ve the same issue. I cant call the elevator.

Another question I have: In the technology tree I could spend skillpoints to 1/3 of the perks (laser weapons / power armor). 2/3 of the skilltree is locked. It says "NA" when I hover the mouse over the icon / shopping card to buy. (I am level 158) - Any idea on that ?

Played two short getting-acquainted plays of 10-15 days, currently well into my third playthrough and on day 43, level 91.  I have two questions.  I searched through the screens for an answer to the second one, in particular, but couldn't find it.

First, I started as farmer and mechanic, spent perk points within those areas, and eventually got most of the other classes, where I spent almost no points.  But I've noticed that some of the other classes now have the first or second skill checked on some of those class sub-skills, even though I didn't buy them.  What's happened that some of these skills have been checked, even though I didn't spend any perk points?  I'm wondering how to make this happen on purpose, rather than apparently by accident.

Second, I'm playing in PREGEN03 world.   I have started looking around, spent several days mapping the edges of the wasteland and making several loops into it, looking for buildings and the Caitlin trader.  Was startled to find it looked very different than some of the "let's play" videos I'd seen - I've found no roads, and only a couple small prefabs right on the border.  Otherwise it's only got the occasional remnant or telephone pole.  I finally checked how to look in the prefabs.xml to ensure that the traders and bunkers were there - I'd avoided doing this because I wanted to explore and find them myself.  But they're not there.  I checked a couple of the other worlds xml files for comparison - the medium and large worlds, and PREGEN01, all showed the Dfalls_settlement_trader, bunker, and research lab locations - but PREGEN02 and PREGEN03, don't have these locations at all.  I'd read this was sometimes a problem in randomly generated worlds, which is one reason I'd played on one of the default worlds.  So as far as I can tell, I'm stuck.

I'm reluctant to throw away my progress to date, but not having these locations seems to lose a lot of the end game.  Is there a way to insert these in the xml file, without making them appear somewhere in the ground, the sky , or an inaccessible location?   How would I do that?  Please help - thanks. 

21 hours ago, WhiteLion said:

Did you solve this? I ve the same issue. I cant call the elevator.

Another question I have: In the technology tree I could spend skillpoints to 1/3 of the perks (laser weapons / power armor). 2/3 of the skilltree is locked. It says "NA" when I hover the mouse over the icon / shopping card to buy. (I am level 158) - Any idea on that ?

Heads up... currently dealing with the after effects of a migraine. So if something is worded wrong, or sounds annoyed, not intended. Just didn't wanna leave you folks without answers. :)

You use the numpad to control the elevator.

20 hours ago, Bons4i said:

Hey have a problem

If I go to a generator or solar panel with a cable tool and attach a cable, the server crashes and I don't know why. can someone help me?

Not sure on this one but I remember someone else having the same issue... and then it just... worked. No idea how/why. I haven't messed with the power stuff AT ALL because the last time I tried I really broke something.

20 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

How do the animal snare and the chicken thing work?

They spawned once after i placed them. Hammer says i need animal food to repair them, however even if i have this in my inventory, it doesn't repair them.

20 hours ago, Paskers2 said:

put the animal food in your hotbar and right click to up grade on it

^ that.  You have to "re arm" them. DF for 19.3 will have a journal entry explaining this when you first make one.

10 hours ago, ryan8438 said:

Played two short getting-acquainted plays of 10-15 days, currently well into my third playthrough and on day 43, level 91.  I have two questions.  I searched through the screens for an answer to the second one, in particular, but couldn't find it.

First, I started as farmer and mechanic, spent perk points within those areas, and eventually got most of the other classes, where I spent almost no points.  But I've noticed that some of the other classes now have the first or second skill checked on some of those class sub-skills, even though I didn't buy them.  What's happened that some of these skills have been checked, even though I didn't spend any perk points?  I'm wondering how to make this happen on purpose, rather than apparently by accident.

Second, I'm playing in PREGEN03 world.   I have started looking around, spent several days mapping the edges of the wasteland and making several loops into it, looking for buildings and the Caitlin trader.  Was startled to find it looked very different than some of the "let's play" videos I'd seen - I've found no roads, and only a couple small prefabs right on the border.  Otherwise it's only got the occasional remnant or telephone pole.  I finally checked how to look in the prefabs.xml to ensure that the traders and bunkers were there - I'd avoided doing this because I wanted to explore and find them myself.  But they're not there.  I checked a couple of the other worlds xml files for comparison - the medium and large worlds, and PREGEN01, all showed the Dfalls_settlement_trader, bunker, and research lab locations - but PREGEN02 and PREGEN03, don't have these locations at all.  I'd read this was sometimes a problem in randomly generated worlds, which is one reason I'd played on one of the default worlds.  So as far as I can tell, I'm stuck.

I'm reluctant to throw away my progress to date, but not having these locations seems to lose a lot of the end game.  Is there a way to insert these in the xml file, without making them appear somewhere in the ground, the sky , or an inaccessible location?   How would I do that?  Please help - thanks. 

1) I think one of the classes may have given you points when it shouldn't have.
2) PREGEN01-03 are not edited for DF compatibility, so the POI's you need aren't there. You can't just add them unless you also regenerate the chunks they're in. Navezgane IS edited with the DF prefabs.

9 hours ago, jksthe2nd said:

So, I just downloaded this server via the Mod Launcher and, every time I even try to open it, it takes me to a blank 7D2D main menu with literally nothing but the Main logo and music playing...

Any help?

Turn off EAC.

5 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

1) I think one of the classes may have given you points when it shouldn't have.
2) PREGEN01-03 are not edited for DF compatibility, so the POI's you need aren't there. You can't just add them unless you also regenerate the chunks they're in. Navezgane IS edited with the DF prefabs.

Is there any practical way to "regenerate the chunks they're in," and add those POI's?  Or some other alternate ways of getting access to the laser weapons, laser workbench, fusion forge, etc., that will allow me to cope with end-game demon zombies?  Or have I reached the end when the demons start showing up and I can't kill them, so time to start a new game?  

BTW, appreciate your willingness to offer answers and serve those who take advantage of this cool mod you've created, even when you've got a migraine.  That's quite a gift to people you don't know.  Thanks. Me and I'm sure many of the rest of DF players, appreciate it.