Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

There's a way to do it. I don't know exactly how, because i've never messed with it.

But basically you need to position the POI's, then find the chunk (there's online tools for this IIRC), then you can just delete the chunk from your save and that SHOULD force the game to regenerate it when you next visit.

Obviously back up saves beforehand.

On 12/4/2020 at 6:50 AM, KhaineGB said:

And I know people keep saying "Oh, you can do a 9x9 or a 7x7." and I keep telling them "Don't do that, do a 5x5 with the rain catcher in the middle."

fwiw i've always done a 9x9 with the rain catcher in the middle BUT i make it myself and build up the dirt two high (i suppose I could dig down two also).  I also leave the very middle channels open and the outer 10th row perimeter open so the water flows around the perimeter and the middle channels.  I think that allows the water to keep accumulating and might make a difference with the ticks having water available.

22 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

Not sure on this one but I remember someone else having the same issue... and then it just... worked. No idea how/why. I haven't messed with the power stuff AT ALL because the last time I tried I really broke something.

OK. I tried to fix it but unfortunately that didn't work. The interesting thing is that it works in single but not in multi on a server.

8 hours ago, belowzeros said:

fwiw i've always done a 9x9 with the rain catcher in the middle BUT i make it myself and build up the dirt two high (i suppose I could dig down two also).  I also leave the very middle channels open and the outer 10th row perimeter open so the water flows around the perimeter and the middle channels. 

I did another test with a 9x9 and it seemed to work, however i can't tell if it also works reliable all the time.

I supported the dirt layer with as few wood frames (or wooden bars) as possible, both don't block the water. Don't know if it counts as water block too, but at least the water flows through it and also fills blocks behind.

Another finding was, you should really build that on flattened terrain, because the smoothed natural terrain seems to close gaps between the self built dirt layer and the original ground and water won't get through them anymore, depending how much the smoothed terrain is raised from its original block structure. However if the terrain is lowered (wood frames seem to hover), doesn't seem to be a problem.

2 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

Yes that's intended since I can only give you 1 item back from a recipe.

So it'd be the bandage OR the bowl.

Hmm. That kinda sucks because it makes them too annoying to craft. Wouldn't there be an option to make the tree sap be added as a harvested item instead of filling up the bowl?

Also does anyone know where to get a beaker?
I am running around with M4A1s and M60s have mechanical traps and 260 skill pages but no bloody chemistry station because no beaker.

Update on my farming experiments:

Using farming plots with irrigation pump and pipes under daylight seems to work without modified seeds and without farming lights. Pipes seem to work as water source, because stuff grew also with 3 blocks distance. But they don't deplete (or are immediately refilled), so it works very reliable.

Haven't tested pump & pipes with tilled soil yet.

7 hours ago, Bons4i said:

OK. I tried to fix it but unfortunately that didn't work. The interesting thing is that it works in single but not in multi on a server.

Ok, so I have good news and bad news.

APPARENTLY it's also happening on Ravenhearst and Undead Legacy, but ONLY on servers. I'm not sure if it still happens on vanilla, but it's not just a DF thing.

5 hours ago, michimatsch said:

Hmm. That kinda sucks because it makes them too annoying to craft. Wouldn't there be an option to make the tree sap be added as a harvested item instead of filling up the bowl?

Also does anyone know where to get a beaker?
I am running around with M4A1s and M60s have mechanical traps and 260 skill pages but no bloody chemistry station because no beaker.

It does suck. I honestly wish I could give multiple items back on recipe completion. I may have to look into that as a potential harmony patch.

Beakers can be found in the lab boxes, medical piles, the medical cabinets and I think the supply crates.

1 hour ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Update on my farming experiments:

Using farming plots with irrigation pump and pipes under daylight seems to work without modified seeds and without farming lights. Pipes seem to work as water source, because stuff grew also with 3 blocks distance. But they don't deplete (or are immediately refilled), so it works very reliable.

Haven't tested pump & pipes with tilled soil yet.

Yep, normal plants will work with the pipes. The underground ones need the growing light (they don't work with sun), but they also grow faster.

Further testing:

Irrigation with pipes also work with tilled soil. Make sure to have the water source from the irrigation pump at least 5 blocks away from the nearest plant. Otherwise it may use the water source to grow. Happend twice in my testing now. So obviously they don't use the nearest water source necessarily.

Placing a farm next to a natural water source (rivers, lakes) seems not to deplete them.

Edit: Plants next to a natural source even grew with being up to 6 blocks away from the next water block. I planted them intentionally expecting them not to grow, just for verificitation. I didn't plant anything even further away because i didn't even expect them to grow. I'm finally totally confused. :D

Fruit trees seem to grow slower on sand and snow (from grown state to harvestable). At least i harvested that one on dirt now twice, and the other two on snow and sand didn't grow to final state once. Or there is a really large number of random added.

Water depletion seems to be... random. A 9x9 field with only one rain catcher worked nice for yucca, but sucks with different kinds of seeds (potato, corn, wheat, tomatoes, pumpkin, ...).

Also my water-block-only test grew a 4x4 of potatoes fine, but sucked with corn, only grewing 1-3 plants (one stage, not to final stage) with one water source.

Don't know if that is intended. Seems to me more like a "synchronization" problem with growing states and what water source is used. If some of the plants "share" the same growing-event, one water source seems to be enough for all of them, however if they grow in different ticks, the water source is used up already.

How much area a rain catcher spills seems also to be random. From my testing it isn't even sure it spilles a 5x5 area completely. In worst case it seems only to be 3x3 for sure, but maybe up to 7 blocks on one side.

Edit: Apple tree on dirt now grew the third time to final stage. That one on snow and dirt not just once.

Seems to me like growing is more or less random. For sure it works if you plant "enough", because most of them will grow, but finally nobody seems to understand what grows and what not... and why.

Edited by Liesel Weppen (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

I did another test with a 9x9 and it seemed to work, however i can't tell if it also works reliable all the time.

I supported the dirt layer with as few wood frames (or wooden bars) as possible, both don't block the water. Don't know if it counts as water block too, but at least the water flows through it and also fills blocks behind.

Another finding was, you should really build that on flattened terrain, because the smoothed natural terrain seems to close gaps between the self built dirt layer and the original ground and water won't get through them anymore, depending how much the smoothed terrain is raised from its original block structure. However if the terrain is lowered (wood frames seem to hover), doesn't seem to be a problem.

oh I wanted to add I also use more than one rain catcher.  I usually put them at the outer corners until there is plenty of water most or all of the time.  Usually I do it on the roof of my home base.  I've never had a problem growing with this setup or needing water for drinking.  It's easy to add another 9x9 grid next to it too.  good luck

16 minutes ago, belowzeros said:

oh I wanted to add I also use more than one rain catcher.  I usually put them at the outer corners until there is plenty of water most or all of the time.

Being water there once doesn't seem to help. I don't watch all of that 4 hours straight just to watch what i does. But from my understanding a water block (or more) are depleted and require to respawn first, what doesn't happen necessarily immediately. Also how many water depletes seem to dependent on either the plant an/or in what order the ticks happen and how many of them happen in the same tick.

A 5x5 grid even 4 of them next to each other works better. I assume because then you have 4 sources of water to respawn at any time.

16 minutes ago, belowzeros said:

I've never had a problem growing with this setup or needing water for drinking.  It's easy to add another 9x9 grid next to it too.  good luck

Since i now have some.... understanding... how it works i don't have a problem either. But i'd like to understand how it really works. As a i said: Using huge enough farms works, because "enough" stuff will grow, however i'm interested in why some plants don't grow.

I'm the farmer in a 7-8 player group and my task is to feed them. And in this case it is not sufficient to make a 30x30 field and just hope enough of that will grow in time. :D

13 minutes ago, Aldebaran12345 said:

@KhaineGB How is there any other way to get the Master level skill books (Red ones) besides spending 10 points or looting it? Do the traders teach them? I know there are specific specialties on the traders.

AFAIK, you need to have 100k dukes in your inventory before the traders will offer them for sale. But they DO sell them.

49 minutes ago, michimatsch said:

I know that this isn't specifically about this mod but can you use farming lights to grow plants outside during the night?

Plants grow by a timer, it doesn't matter if it is day or night. The will grow to their final stage after a certain time (in DF it is ~4 hours, in Vanilla iirc its ~3 hours) and that is not even dependent on your day length but realtime.

Even if you play with "night all day", normal plants will still grow without any grow light needed.

8 hours ago, Aldebaran12345 said:

@KhaineGB How is there any other way to get the Master level skill books (Red ones) besides spending 10 points or looting it? Do the traders teach them? I know there are specific specialties on the traders.

Caitlin or the wandering trader sell them in secret stash. Otherwise you have to grind specific trader rep and have 100k dukes in your inventory.

They're getting a craftable recipe for V3.3. It won't be cheap.

13 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Further testing:

Irrigation with pipes also work with tilled soil. Make sure to have the water source from the irrigation pump at least 5 blocks away from the nearest plant. Otherwise it may use the water source to grow. Happend twice in my testing now. So obviously they don't use the nearest water source necessarily.

Placing a farm next to a natural water source (rivers, lakes) seems not to deplete them.

Edit: Plants next to a natural source even grew with being up to 6 blocks away from the next water block. I planted them intentionally expecting them not to grow, just for verificitation. I didn't plant anything even further away because i didn't even expect them to grow. I'm finally totally confused. :D

Fruit trees seem to grow slower on sand and snow (from grown state to harvestable). At least i harvested that one on dirt now twice, and the other two on snow and sand didn't grow to final state once. Or there is a really large number of random added.

Water depletion seems to be... random. A 9x9 field with only one rain catcher worked nice for yucca, but sucks with different kinds of seeds (potato, corn, wheat, tomatoes, pumpkin, ...).

Also my water-block-only test grew a 4x4 of potatoes fine, but sucked with corn, only grewing 1-3 plants (one stage, not to final stage) with one water source.

Don't know if that is intended. Seems to me more like a "synchronization" problem with growing states and what water source is used. If some of the plants "share" the same growing-event, one water source seems to be enough for all of them, however if they grow in different ticks, the water source is used up already.

How much area a rain catcher spills seems also to be random. From my testing it isn't even sure it spilles a 5x5 area completely. In worst case it seems only to be 3x3 for sure, but maybe up to 7 blocks on one side.

Edit: Apple tree on dirt now grew the third time to final stage. That one on snow and dirt not just once.

Seems to me like growing is more or less random. For sure it works if you plant "enough", because most of them will grow, but finally nobody seems to understand what grows and what not... and why.

To add to your edit at the bottom.

I set a specific time in blocks.xml. However, the ACTUAL time is semi-random. Why? I have no idea. But it does it in vanilla too. The grow stages are 63 minutes but it can be anywhere from like 60 to 75.

3 hours ago, michimatsch said:

I know that this isn't specifically about this mod but can you use farming lights to grow plants outside during the night?

Nope.

6 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

I set a specific time in blocks.xml. However, the ACTUAL time is semi-random. Why? I have no idea. But it does it in vanilla too. The grow stages are 63 minutes but it can be anywhere from like 60 to 75.

I know. But in vanilla my stuff grows far more simultaneous, with only few minutes difference.

In my testings it's not about +-30min, it's hours difference! And the issue is not the theoretic time, but that it seems some plants omit grow stages/ticks. After 4 hours, where in theory even in the worst case everything should be fully grown, one third of the field is still "seed" and didn't even evolve to "growing". And that's where i'm trying to figure out why.

Edited by Liesel Weppen (see edit history)