A16 - Tin'sMod: The Dying Lands.

Tin

Reducing strength to 0.001 results in ~10% heat generated per chunk, per <frequency>. So at 0.001 and a frequency of 2, with a long MapTime results in a screamer every 20 minutes or so.

That said, I -don't- know how cpu intensive keeping track of that many 'heat particles' is, as I don't know how that is handled under the hood. If each source creates it's own object with it's own time check every tick tracking it's decay for each heat pulse, that could end up being a big drain. If it's handled in a more generalized way, it will be negligible. More testing for performance would be needed. If I had tools to see what segments of code were using what resources, i'd be able to give a clearer assessment of the performance impacts.

Reducing strength to 0.001 results in ~10% heat generated per chunk, per <frequency>. So at 0.001 and a frequency of 2, with a long MapTime results in a screamer every 20 minutes or so.

That said, I -don't- know how cpu intensive keeping track of that many 'heat particles' is, as I don't know how that is handled under the hood. If each source creates it's own object with it's own time check every tick tracking it's decay for each heat pulse, that could end up being a big drain. If it's handled in a more generalized way, it will be negligible. More testing for performance would be needed. If I had tools to see what segments of code were using what resources, i'd be able to give a clearer assessment of the performance impacts.

I think it will just calculate the chunk you are in so it shouldn't be all that bad on the calculations.. i would think!

download the file in the OP and save.

It will come in a zipped format, so you'll need to unzip or extract it.

To extract:

Make a new folder on your desktop and place the zipped you got from the download in it.

<rightclick> on the file. It will give you a few options.Pick the extract here.

This will unpackage the file and give you the folders you need to replace in the vanilla game. a [config] [prefab] and [uma texture] folder

With the mouse click the left button and drag a box to highlight the 3 folders you need.

Then use the right mouse button and select copy.

Go back to were the game path is on you computer. usually in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data

then when you get to data open that up, you'll see the 3 folders you need to replace.

<RightClick> in an empty pace (probably just off to the right of the file and select paste.

Once that's done exit out of everything and start a new game. :)

If you need additional help I can try to word things differently and be a bit more precise. GL and enjoy.

-or-

And highly recommended! Use the 7d2d mod launcher:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?48537-The-7D2D-Mod-Launcher-A-Mod-Launcher-for-7-Days-to-Die

A little bit more to get it set up but really easy to experience the other mods as well.

If you have an issue getting that set up post in it's thread and the creator or some other helpful person can walk you through it :)

Thanks the help just. I'll skip on the mod launcher. Depending on if this gets me into 7dtd again i might get it at a later date.

I think it will just calculate the chunk you are in so it shouldn't be all that bad on the calculations.. i would think!

No, it appears to track multiple nearby chunks, as when i had the levels turned up higher, it was spawning them all over, not just where i was at.

And.... Yeah, doing it this way starts racking up some severe performance hits, as each separate piece of asphalt creates it's own 'heat unit' which operates it's own separate time-check every tick, and decays over time, so giving them short delays and really long decays ends up with a truly -massive- number of 'heat units' being tracked, with the number building over time until everything just grinds.

Probably best to leave it at 0.01 and have a very short decay. Still has the issue of a lot of heat sources being tracked, but at least it'll only track the heat events very briefly, and i think that heat sources are only checked every minute on the minute(hence the frequency being stated in minutes as an Int), so that should not produce any performance hit. With this, the result will be that each city chunk(as well as wilderness chunks near asphalt roads) will spawn 1, maybe 2 screamers every x period of time, kind of like clockwork. Best to make x not a number that 30 is divisible by, nor that is divisible by 30, to prevent the screamers from always showing up at the same time every day.

For 60 minute days, if you want them to show up every day, a number like 50 or 70 would be good, to keep the time of day they arrive somewhat in flux.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks the help just. I'll skip on the mod launcher. Depending on if this gets me into 7dtd again i might get it at a later date.

The mod launcher is definitely the easiest way to install mods. No file copying, just push a button. :p

THEN Why even play the mod .. just play Vanilla

Have you actually played the mod? You should try it. The change to zombies and attack patterns don't really appeal to me or my players, but the work Tin did on the biomes and POIs and rwgmixer in general is drop dead gorgeous. The stock rwgmixer has always been a source of annoyance, and most of the worlds it produces we considered to be barely playable. TIN has revamped it such that we now get beautiful playable worlds. Lots more flatland, limited bodies of water, gorgeous forests. The difference is night and day. *That* is why we don't play Vanilla.

@Neelix:

Here are those files patched together with the working sinks and ovens.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TdH3sZvL6kAxuEb9dUwiNrryBCoezY6a

And this is the SDX package, not that you need it at all.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VvPBrCBhLYWmiAKRdtXJcJPt8NgM5SBN

I would love to use this but can't seem to figure out where to put these files. I use the mod launcher and am playing TDL with bigger backpack. I have put the individual files, as well as the SDX file in at least 2 seperate folders(Data/Config folder as well as the TempMods/Data/Config folder) within the folder that the mod launcher created and am using a seperate shortcut to launch since the mod launcher like to overwrite files, but still haven't gotten this to work.

Some help would be appreciated.

BTW tom ga,eedged managed to get the bigger backpack and storage working with ur mod so maybe u can ask him how and add it to ur mod :)

It's an option with the launcher now, along with Gup's wasteland UI(made by Dust) and some others. Don't forget to thank Sphereii/Guppy/Doom and others for allowing me to use them. ;)

Now i'm watching the LetsPlay from Skippy0330 :)

I like the hardness of Your Mod.

Water biome (about the depth and coastline) - it look exactly how i wanted to do this for myself, but i put it off...

The mountainous landscape looks very natural. This is the best mountains in 7dtd. That however, is not surprising :)

And...zombies, waving their hands when they are on the ground - it's just AMAZING!!! :D

anyway to add it to forum download? as i couldnt get launcher working :)

Give sphereii a shout since he did the work on making it compatible and I have as of yet done any type of work concerning the UI. Maybe he can hook you up with a link for a direct d/l that you can add to the mod outside of the launcher (You know you could always ask him directly via guppy's discord since you are a member :)

I'm just not ready to go through the UI stuff yet.

Now i'm watching the LetsPlay from Skippy0330 :)

I like the hardness of Your Mod.

Water biome (about the depth and coastline) - it look exactly how i wanted to do this for myself, but i put it off...

The mountainous landscape looks very natural. This is the best mountains in 7dtd. That however, is not surprising :)

And...zombies, waving their hands when they are on the ground - it's just AMAZING!!! :D

Thanks! Means a lot! Yeah, the water shore line is a really easy add:

<biome_spawn_rule name="water">           		<!-- the "water" biome referring to biome decorations not the "water" block -->
<terrain_generator range="[color="#FFFF00"]-31, 0[/color]"/>   		<!-- the "water" biome can spawn anywhere if you want wiithout even being near liquid water -->
</biome_spawn_rule>

in the biomes list in the rwgmixer.xml

Just adjust those 2 values and you're good to go. :)

Hehe yeah the zeds are my walking wrecking crew ;) I had to cut their damage down from vanilla since they are really really effective at destroying things and also getting pot shots in on the players as well.

I would love to use this but can't seem to figure out where to put these files. I use the mod launcher and am playing TDL with bigger backpack. I have put the individual files, as well as the SDX file in at least 2 seperate folders(Data/Config folder as well as the TempMods/Data/Config folder) within the folder that the mod launcher created and am using a seperate shortcut to launch since the mod launcher like to overwrite files, but still haven't gotten this to work.

Some help would be appreciated.

Ok, so, you don't need both, you can use either the config files or the SDX, they are 2 methods of achieving the same thing. The files are easier, the SDX is just there for those who want to use that method. Learning to use that method opens up a ton of possibilities, but it's more involved. To do that, you have to download the SDX tool and follow the instructions given here:

https://7d2dsdx.github.io/Tutorials/

However, using the config files is much easier. Using this method, do not touch the SDX version at all. Make sure you have a fully working copy of Tin's game, test it, open it, play it, make sure everything is functional. Then just take the files, copy them directly into Data/config and -overwrite- the files there. -Do not- overwrite any files in TempMods/Data/Config. Launch the game from the exe or separate shortcut, because as you say the launcher will try to overwrite.

If this doesn't work, then I have done something wrong, and need to fix it, and I would appreciate you telling me what errors you get.

Oh.... Wait. I think the BBP mod uses a different xui.xml file than the regular Dying Lands. And the sinks mod requires an overwrite of that file. So copying in the one on top of the other will break the BBP version of Dying Lands. This is where SDX comes in handy. Give me a bit, I'll do a build of the BBP version of

Ok, so I was unaware of a certain function of the SDX Tool and the result was that those files were broken. It did a weird thing of overwriting Tin's xmls with vanilla using backups and ... anyway, problem solved.

These files should now work fine. For normal Dying lands, take the 4 files and drop them into Data/Config and overwrite. Then launch from the exe, not the launcher, as the launcher likes to overwrite things. Hoping someone eventually merges the launcher and SDX so the launcher allows you to plug'n'play any sdx packages you like, but for now just use the exe.

For the BiggerBackPack version of Dying lands, do the same, and then also copy the xui.xml from the BBP subfolder into Data/Config(overwriting xui.xml again). Because normal Dying Lands and BBP Dying Lands use different xui files, so I had to prepare different ones for each.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TdH3sZvL6kAxuEb9dUwiNrryBCoezY6a

As an aside, these are really the simplest sinks and ovens possible. They aren't the complex systems one might find more fully integrated into other mods with skills and recipe books and electricity requirements. They are really just a fancy-looking campfire and an easy to make infinite water source.

...These files should now work fine...

Works now, thank you for doing this, and as for this being a fancy version of a campfire, I am fine with it. I just like to have the look of the stove and not a campfire sitting in a corner for cooking on especially once I find where I want to settle down and actually have a decent built place to call home. The sink giving dirty water just means I don't have to run down to the "watering hole" every time I need water(I actually prefer that it gives dirty water).

Tin, great mod so far, having fun running for my life more times than not.

Works now, thank you for doing this, and as for this being a fancy version of a campfire, I am fine with it. I just like to have the look of the stove and not a campfire sitting in a corner for cooking on especially once I find where I want to settle down and actually have a decent built place to call home. The sink giving dirty water just means I don't have to run down to the "watering hole" every time I need water(I actually prefer that it gives dirty water).

Tin, great mod so far, having fun running for my life more times than not.

Thanks!

Archived