A16 - Tin'sMod: The Dying Lands.

Tin

I played the v04. I still like the lighting for the biomes. The generic forest with mixed trees big yup, Im going to save that xml for future alphas.

Interesting and nice incorporation, when i go inside if i stop firing they calm down, If i fire once through a window they stop milling around and converge. Really well done.

Ive learned finally how to down the puking cops more often considering how many respawn at police precinct. At beginning of puke animation shoot once, wait, will begin again, repeat, then reload, when it starts charge unload at head he drops and no more instaspawn go loot it.

I upped all the biome generators to 2, and set the respawn delay to .01. It kind of makes it seem like a lot of zombies but stays close to the FPS that you set. I liked the buzzard attack squad that you did so much I changed the avatarcontroller, so the vulture horde divebombs me now; goodtimes.

I like the semi feral speed, It actually makes it more fun for me. Your manipulations allow me to play at 1366 and be playing my vlc at same time keeping above 30 fps.

I want to combine your mod with Badco, and my rwg. Either way thanks for the great mod.

Ps ill be trying v05 soon

So I discovered an interesting side effect. If you copy your files to the client, and then startup a new Navesgane single player game, your world will have HUGE holes in it. Unplayably huge holes :D. I think it's the biomes.xml that is the culprit, because the holes seem to follow biome transitions. I ended restoring the entire prefab directory (not sure if that was necessary) as well. I'm not complaining, mind you, just thought I'd mention that if anyone wants to visit Navezgane County, you should probably restore the original prefabs and config files just to be safe :tickled_pink:

heh, yeah I did everything for rwg as it's the mode I play with the most. When A17 drops and probably some time after, I'll see about getting everything (if needed) to work on both modes.

I played the v04. I still like the lighting for the biomes. The generic forest with mixed trees big yup, Im going to save that xml for future alphas.

Interesting and nice incorporation, when i go inside if i stop firing they calm down, If i fire once through a window they stop milling around and converge. Really well done.

Ive learned finally how to down the puking cops more often considering how many respawn at police precinct. At beginning of puke animation shoot once, wait, will begin again, repeat, then reload, when it starts charge unload at head he drops and no more instaspawn go loot it.

I upped all the biome generators to 2, and set the respawn delay to .01. It kind of makes it seem like a lot of zombies but stays close to the FPS that you set. I liked the buzzard attack squad that you did so much I changed the avatarcontroller, so the vulture horde divebombs me now; goodtimes.

I like the semi feral speed, It actually makes it more fun for me. Your manipulations allow me to play at 1366 and be playing my vlc at same time keeping above 30 fps.

I want to combine your mod with Badco, and my rwg. Either way thanks for the great mod.

Ps ill be trying v05 soon

Thanks!

What UI mod would work with this?

Probably most of them? I just removed the last of the beginning quests to find the trader since traders are in just about every city/town now. It had a function to search for the closest trader outpost but that function doesn't work if the traders are in a hub and would lock up trying to continually search for them.

Thanks for a wonderful mod!

A friend and I installed it on our server yesterday, and had a blast playing the quite difficult early game. It almost felt like being a new player again, miserable in zombie-land!

First impressions:

- The forests are gorgeous - their higher tree density works great.

- The landscape seem much more natural - your rwgmixer should replace the vanilla one.

- Cities are very difficult early game - feels realistic.

We had great succes with one of us luring a mass of zombies out of a ruined building to allow the other one to run in a steal a pot. We did not starve that day, amazing!

Thanks again!

Thanks for a wonderful mod!

A friend and I installed it on our server yesterday, and had a blast playing the quite difficult early game. It almost felt like being a new player again, miserable in zombie-land!

First impressions:

- The forests are gorgeous - their higher tree density works great.

- The landscape seem much more natural - your rwgmixer should replace the vanilla one.

- Cities are very difficult early game - feels realistic.

We had great succes with one of us luring a mass of zombies out of a ruined building to allow the other one to run in a steal a pot. We did not starve that day, amazing!

Thanks again!

That means a lot to me! Thank you for the kind words :tickled_pink:

Great work man!

My first impression was really tough, wandering around to quickly find a town (i usually go for towns from the start) and going to my usual exploration mode proved aggravating as i lured quite a lot of zombies to me. It bothered the hell out of me that i had to fight all the time and didn't have a breather for gathering supplies...

Gave it another try from a different standpoint - THIS IS A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. Regular 7DTD has a broken mechanic concerning the zombies (they will hopefully repair it so that lights would attract zombies, as well as smell and close proximity). This is WAAAAAY different, but strangely satisfying.

This time after almost a full day of wandering to find a forest biome (spawned in burned forest) i found a nearby city and settled there. I am still wrapping my head around everything but here are my impressions on things so far:

1. Biomes are extremely huge. Outrunning all the zombies, vultures

2. You basically can find any type of zombie everywhere. I found zombie cops in a big log cabin (1st try), but it's natural that you would find any type of zombie when exploring. It's not like they suddenly appear after 21 days :p I sometimes meet zombie cops (even radiated) wandering around, but oh well. BTW, my current base (half fallen apart building with debris at the bottom and missing walls) had a cop sleeping and i successfully one-shot him with a bow... That was a good sign to pick the place.

3. It is hard to find some things, especially clay or big rocks for iron (went deep into the city trololo), but you have to get used to it being more realistic. That and all the rocks laying around practically everywhere, overgrowth of cities and more burnt down/ruined buildings than regular. Even so, i have a neighboring school, construction site, adult movie theater and hair saloon. IT IS HARD to find good things, but it's the ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE, it should be hard.

4. Zombies see you and they walk/run after you. On the other hand, even at night you can explore freely, because their behavior doesn't change during night. It can be frustrating when you wander with the number of zombies after you increasing fast. Raise your fighting skills quickly and fight as much as you can to GIT GUD. Also, vultures and snakes are very bothersome...

5. Finished my first 7 day horde... Most of the zombies were walking, some ferals running, even got one cop. Still, i was killing them with my 200 shiv and bow even after sunrise. Not for fun, they didn't walk into the spikes so easily and standing on a raised platform i built didn't work (as in vanilla). Zombies got smarter and at the same time it was easier to kill them.

6. I still haven't found many gun schematics, nor the one for the hunting knife (although i did find a knife), but i'm doing pretty good so far. Got a forge, a workbench, quite a few guns (without books i can't disassemble or repair them), working cement mixer on the construction site, minibike book, quite a few wrenches and tools. Finished the horde, time to find the first trader...

MY SUGGESTIONS:

1. I also found ComSenMod and think that with The Dying Lands it would make a wonderful mix of realism and challenge. Not so good with changing files, so i didn't change the files manually to get both mods running yet.

2. I started using 7DTD Launcher and it seems the harvesting zombies doesn't work as intended (i still have to open their inventory, not just use the shiv/knife) and their bodies stay as long as in vanilla. It worked properly when i downloaded the mod and put in my 7DTD folder. Latest version changes not in the 7DTD Launcher download perhaps?

IN SUMMARY:

Wonderful Mod and i hope you'll keep working on it! This is what i was looking for in 7DTD!

Great work man!

My first impression was really tough, wandering around to quickly find a town (i usually go for towns from the start) and going to my usual exploration mode proved aggravating as i lured quite a lot of zombies to me. It bothered the hell out of me that i had to fight all the time and didn't have a breather for gathering supplies...

Gave it another try from a different standpoint - THIS IS A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. Regular 7DTD has a broken mechanic concerning the zombies (they will hopefully repair it so that lights would attract zombies, as well as smell and close proximity). This is WAAAAAY different, but strangely satisfying.

This time after almost a full day of wandering to find a forest biome (spawned in burned forest) i found a nearby city and settled there. I am still wrapping my head around everything but here are my impressions on things so far:

1. Biomes are extremely huge. Outrunning all the zombies, vultures

2. You basically can find any type of zombie everywhere. I found zombie cops in a big log cabin (1st try), but it's natural that you would find any type of zombie when exploring. It's not like they suddenly appear after 21 days :p I sometimes meet zombie cops (even radiated) wandering around, but oh well. BTW, my current base (half fallen apart building with debris at the bottom and missing walls) had a cop sleeping and i successfully one-shot him with a bow... That was a good sign to pick the place.

3. It is hard to find some things, especially clay or big rocks for iron (went deep into the city trololo), but you have to get used to it being more realistic. That and all the rocks laying around practically everywhere, overgrowth of cities and more burnt down/ruined buildings than regular. Even so, i have a neighboring school, construction site, adult movie theater and hair saloon. IT IS HARD to find good things, but it's the ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE, it should be hard.

4. Zombies see you and they walk/run after you. On the other hand, even at night you can explore freely, because their behavior doesn't change during night. It can be frustrating when you wander with the number of zombies after you increasing fast. Raise your fighting skills quickly and fight as much as you can to GIT GUD. Also, vultures and snakes are very bothersome...

5. Finished my first 7 day horde... Most of the zombies were walking, some ferals running, even got one cop. Still, i was killing them with my 200 shiv and bow even after sunrise. Not for fun, they didn't walk into the spikes so easily and standing on a raised platform i built didn't work (as in vanilla). Zombies got smarter and at the same time it was easier to kill them.

6. I still haven't found many gun schematics, nor the one for the hunting knife (although i did find a knife), but i'm doing pretty good so far. Got a forge, a workbench, quite a few guns (without books i can't disassemble or repair them), working cement mixer on the construction site, minibike book, quite a few wrenches and tools. Finished the horde, time to find the first trader...

MY SUGGESTIONS:

1. I also found ComSenMod and think that with The Dying Lands it would make a wonderful mix of realism and challenge. Not so good with changing files, so i didn't change the files manually to get both mods running yet.

2. I started using 7DTD Launcher and it seems the harvesting zombies doesn't work as intended (i still have to open their inventory, not just use the shiv/knife) and their bodies stay as long as in vanilla. It worked properly when i downloaded the mod and put in my 7DTD folder. Latest version changes not in the 7DTD Launcher download perhaps?

IN SUMMARY:

Wonderful Mod and i hope you'll keep working on it! This is what i was looking for in 7DTD!

Heh I still need to put the new version into the launcher so that's probably why the harvesting of the bodies isn't working for you. So if you want the new version you'll need to dl from the link atm. I'll make an effort to get with spherii soon to put it in the launcher.

Anyhow TYM for giving it a go and the feed back. Oh and the newer version that you need to dl will run better just to let you know :)

I'm def doing a lets play of this mod. sounds like you appreciate balance and immersion. much like, very play.

Thanks! appreciate it very much.

Just an FYI for everyone:

I will have the newest version for the launcher sometime in the near future (a day or two) But until then the link in the OP has the latest build.

edit: Oh! Pls let me know IF/When you do. Will be sweet to see how others are playing it.

Hey Tin, a great mod you have there. I was kind of disappointed of the vanilla terrain generation and you did a wonderful job with the biomes and cities. I had a lot of fun in The Dying Land for last 20 hours or so.

Yesterday I found my first quest, to kill some male zombies (Maneater Challenge) and I have to tell you, that I was not able to complete it.

Killed dozens and dozens of Zombies and made zero progress.

After digging through the XML files I noticed, that the quests.xml still refers to the vanilla zombies "zombieBoe,zombieJoe,.." without your "FOD,LDR,SLPR" ending.

I went through your entityclasses.xml to find the corresponding zombies and edited them in, killed some zeds and finally made some progress on the quest.

Solely the quest text in the upper right corner was messed up.

Instead of "Kill Infected Survivor, Kill Festering Cadaver.." it showed "Kill zombieBoeFOD, Kill zombieJoeFOD,.."

I wasn't in the mood of tampering with the Localization.txt so I just left the vanilla naming scheme as the first quest trigger active, reopened the game, quest text was restored, killed some more zeds and finished the quest.

This is what the code for the Maneater Challenge looks like now:

<quest id="challenge_maneater" name_key="challenge_maneater" subtitle_key="challenge_maneater_subtitle" description_key="challenge_maneater_offer" icon="ui_game_symbol_zombie"
	repeatable="true" category_key="challenge" offer_key="challenge_maneater_offer" difficulty="medium">
	<objective type="Time" value="900" optional="true" />
	<objective type="ZombieKill" id="zombieBoe,zombieBoeFOD,zombieBoeLDR,zombieBoeSLPR,zombieBoeFeralLDR,zombieBoeFeralSLPR" value="1" />
	<objective type="ZombieKill" id="zombieJoe,zombieJoeFOD,zombieJoeLDR,zombieJoeSLPR,zombieJoeFeralLDR,zombieJoeFeralSLPR" value="1" />
	<objective type="ZombieKill" id="zombieMoe,zombieMoeFOD,zombieMoeLDR,zombieMoeSLPR,zombieMoeFeralLDR,zombieMoeFeralSLPR" value="1" />
	<objective type="ZombieKill" id="zombieYo,zombieYoFOD,zombieYoLDR,zombieYoSLPR,zombieYoFeralLDR,zombieYoFeralSLPR" value="1" />
	<objective type="ZombieKill" id="zombieSteve,zombieSteveFOD,zombieSteveLDR,zombieSteveSLPR,zombieSteveFeralLDR,zombieSteveFeralSLPR" value="1" />

<reward type="SkillPoints" value="2" />
	<reward type="SkillPoints" value="1" optional="true" />
</quest>

I hope this report is of some use for you.

I went ahead and fixed the other quests as well. I leave the file here in case someone else wants to finish some killquests, before you fix this bug. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7qwui8dm44z4kd/quests.xml?dl=0

Keep up the good work ;)

btw, is it necessary to harvest the zombies with a knife or machete to gain more loot? I really like the oneshot potential of the fireaxe to get my precious sham sandwiches, but I'm not sure if I miss out on some more loot without the use of the knife with the knife guy perk.

Hey Tin, a great mod you have there. I was kind of disappointed of the vanilla terrain generation and you did a wonderful job with the biomes and cities. I had a lot of fun in The Dying Land for last 20 hours or so.

Yesterday I found my first quest, to kill some male zombies (Maneater Challenge) and I have to tell you, that I was not able to complete it.

Killed dozens and dozens of Zombies and made zero progress.

After digging through the XML files I noticed, that the quests.xml still refers to the vanilla zombies "zombieBoe,zombieJoe,.." without your "FOD,LDR,SLPR" ending.

I went through your entityclasses.xml to find the corresponding zombies and edited them in, killed some zeds and finally made some progress on the quest.

Solely the quest text in the upper right corner was messed up.

Instead of "Kill Infected Survivor, Kill Festering Cadaver.." it showed "Kill zombieBoeFOD, Kill zombieJoeFOD,.."

I wasn't in the mood of tampering with the Localization.txt so I just left the vanilla naming scheme as the first quest trigger active, reopened the game, quest text was restored, killed some more zeds and finished the quest.

This is what the code for the Maneater Challenge looks like now:

<quest id="challenge_maneater" name_key="challenge_maneater" subtitle_key="challenge_maneater_subtitle" description_key="challenge_maneater_offer" icon="ui_game_symbol_zombie"
	repeatable="true" category_key="challenge" offer_key="challenge_maneater_offer" difficulty="medium">
	<objective type="Time" value="900" optional="true" />
	<objective type="ZombieKill" id="zombieBoe,zombieBoeFOD,zombieBoeLDR,zombieBoeSLPR,zombieBoeFeralLDR,zombieBoeFeralSLPR" value="1" />
	<objective type="ZombieKill" id="zombieJoe,zombieJoeFOD,zombieJoeLDR,zombieJoeSLPR,zombieJoeFeralLDR,zombieJoeFeralSLPR" value="1" />
	<objective type="ZombieKill" id="zombieMoe,zombieMoeFOD,zombieMoeLDR,zombieMoeSLPR,zombieMoeFeralLDR,zombieMoeFeralSLPR" value="1" />
	<objective type="ZombieKill" id="zombieYo,zombieYoFOD,zombieYoLDR,zombieYoSLPR,zombieYoFeralLDR,zombieYoFeralSLPR" value="1" />
	<objective type="ZombieKill" id="zombieSteve,zombieSteveFOD,zombieSteveLDR,zombieSteveSLPR,zombieSteveFeralLDR,zombieSteveFeralSLPR" value="1" />

<reward type="SkillPoints" value="2" />
	<reward type="SkillPoints" value="1" optional="true" />
</quest>

I hope this report is of some use for you.

I went ahead and fixed the other quests as well. I leave the file here in case someone else wants to finish some killquests, before you fix this bug. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7qwui8dm44z4kd/quests.xml?dl=0

Keep up the good work ;)

btw, is it necessary to harvest the zombies with a knife or machete to gain more loot? I really like the oneshot potential of the fireaxe to get my precious sham sandwiches, but I'm not sure if I miss out on some more loot without the use of the knife with the knife guy perk.

Oh cool.. ha totally forgot about switching the zeds over to the new ones :apologetic: I'll take a look at the file and make the corrections again sorry about that.

Any tool that increases the harvest potential can increase the chance to get more possible loot. The shiv/knife/machete are just the best tools for the job is all and is why I listed them.

And thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Tin! Just had a few minutes for the game and i see the update is there :) Thanks a lot!

Also, i found my trader... :D

Awesome!

mv tinRockform01SLPR.tts tinRockForm01SLPR.tts :smile-new:

Ha did that get switched back again lol.

edit: being corrected now <sigh> sorry about the trouble for the linux ppl :(

edit2: New Update to v0.0.7 *only really needed for Linux users*

Window users can still use v0.0.6 with no issues.

Will try to get the update to the launcher soon.

Ha did that get switched back again lol.

edit: being corrected now <sigh> sorry about the trouble for the linux ppl :(

edit2: New Update to v0.0.7 *only really needed for Linux users*

Window users can still use v0.0.6 with no issues.

Will try to get the update to the launcher soon.

Tyvm sir :D. It was just the one file. I'm running through it now, haven't really progressed far enough to have any input other than the biomes are gorgeous :D

Tyvm sir :D. It was just the one file. I'm running through it now, haven't really progressed far enough to have any input other than the biomes are gorgeous :D

heh its all good. I need to get a program or plugin for notepad++ that can scan my files so they are up to snuff for Linux. and all the capitalization are in order. :)

broken?

i am unable to loot dead zombies when i kill them they turn into the broken generic zombies in less than 3 seconds and are unlootable my friends downloaded the same mod and were unable to loot them either and we have not changed any files. we are also using the launcher so idk if thats the problem please let me know please and thank you

i am unable to loot dead zombies when i kill them they turn into the broken generic zombies in less than 3 seconds and are unlootable my friends downloaded the same mod and were unable to loot them either and we have not changed any files. we are also using the launcher so idk if thats the problem please let me know please and thank you

Nope not broken :)

In the beginning you can use your fist to harvest the gore to possibly get something from them just like harvesting from a tree basically. Later you'll want to get a shiv/knife machete or any tool that can harvest so you can possibly get more loot from them. The better you get at harvesting the more likely you can get better loot from them. It's in the OP but I should probably make it more pronounced.

It was done this way to prevent the dup bug and also it really lowers the resources your computer needs to run the game... plus allows for more zeds and promotes looting to be done a pois more.

Don't expect a lot of loot to drop from the zeds either especially in the early levels.

Hope you enjoy it and thanks for trying it. :)

Archived