In light of the new Alpha 17 POI creator

kidmo31

Maybe release the creator to your community and add Steam workshop integration to load different size plots for houses, arenas , shops, Utilities and such since they are already programmed sizes in Random Gen. You have a avid group of builders who would do wonders in this game.... Or maybe do a path like Rust does where they can be voted on or reviewed to be included in the game. Might be fast path to get tons of new POIs

That is the plan. It just isn't quite time yet. Things still get messed up royally at major updates and while it isn't a huge deal here in the modding forum where dedicated modders understand that things will need to get fixed, for workshop it doesn't fly when every single prefab is broken with no telling whether someone will take the time to fix it. People who use workshop expect to be able to select a prefab and have it working in their game and not be derpy because some of the block ids changed from the last version.

tldr; Alpha

That is the plan. It just isn't quite time yet. Things still get messed up royally at major updates and while it isn't a huge deal here in the modding forum where dedicated modders understand that things will need to get fixed, for workshop it doesn't fly when every single prefab is broken with no telling whether someone will take the time to fix it. People who use workshop expect to be able to select a prefab and have it working in their game and not be derpy because some of the block ids changed from the last version.

tldr; Alpha

So what's the solution to that then?

Anything not updated gets removed from the workshop?

Well regardless of when, it would be really great to have a full fledged in-game editor for prefabs.

Better yet, when they solve the Texture room problem, would also be nice to be able to add our own textures.

I'd love to have a wall with ponies and rainbows. ^_^"

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Roland for the response. And yeah I understand with every major update there have been major issues in the transition of world models. Just was playing some War of the Walkers mod and amazed at what the community is coming up with. Like Boxing Gyms, all sorts of houses, even malls. Would love to see these in vanilla someday.

Roland has there actually been some talk about a Prefab Workshop or is it just chatter?

That is seriously a great idea. Look at the Roller Coaster games, Sims, Spore... for example.

The longevity of those games is definitely extended with player creations that are easy to share and download.

When it’s not quite time for something to happen the only solution is to wait.

Those who wait for something good does not wait in vain.

And those who are waiting in vain, are not waiting for anything good.

However, there is another solution.. And that is to do something else, rather then wait. :)

Roland has there actually been some talk about a Prefab Workshop or is it just chatter?

That is seriously a great idea. Look at the Roller Coaster games, Sims, Spore... for example.

The longevity of those games is definitely expended with player creations that are easy to share and download.

Yes. It is definitely more than idle chatter. Workshop support for prefabs and whole designed maps (alternatives to Navezgane) are planned. I believe the Pimps themselves already have an alternate map that they started on back before random gen was created. It got tabled because between Navezgane and random gen that was all the time they had. But I could see them completing that new map later and making it available on workshop as an example for others.

However, there is another solution.. And that is to do something else, rather then wait. :)

AKA: "Strategic Waiting With Style"

Yes. It is definitely more than idle chatter. Workshop support for prefabs and whole designed maps (alternatives to Navezgane) are planned. I believe the Pimps themselves already have an alternate map that they started on back before random gen was created. It got tabled because between Navezgane and random gen that was all the time they had. But I could see them completing that new map later and making it available on workshop as an example for others.

Oh Maps too huh? =o

Never thought about that. That's fantastic.

I can see that being a fun thing for PvP down the road.

I'd love to create "Facing Worlds" in 7DTD.

=)

• 3 weeks later...

AKA: "Strategic Waiting With Style"

Will we be able to create new plots for the maps that we will post to Steam Workshop?

• 4 months later...
Maybe release the creator to your community and add Steam workshop integration to load different size plots for houses, arenas , shops, Utilities and such since they are already programmed sizes in Random Gen. You have a avid group of builders who would do wonders in this game.... Or maybe do a path like Rust does where they can be voted on or reviewed to be included in the game. Might be fast path to get tons of new POIs

The XML files are still a mess unfortunately, adding POIs and mods through workshop isn't really possible yet I don't think. As far as I can tell, the only way to add a mod, poi or other, to the game is to edit the main files and replace them entirely so youll be stuck with a single mod at a time.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh the lag....

file-photo-rikers-island-prison-complex-airplane-queens-borough-new-york-city-new-york.

But oh so sweet !!!

I would lower my graphics settings for that :p

Well - my suggestion was to have TFP - grab some stuff like Magolis' Compo Pack, one of the "Bigger Back Pack Mods" and BAMB!!! Tonne's of Prefabs! Magoli Compo Pack is great collection in itself!

Also - instead of ID numbers having a 'reference label' instead could be a work around for the changing ID numbers... Just saying.

Well - my suggestion was to have TFP - grab some stuff like Magolis' Compo Pack, one of the "Bigger Back Pack Mods" and BAMB!!! Tonne's of Prefabs! Magoli Compo Pack is great collection in itself!

Also - instead of ID numbers having a 'reference label' instead could be a work around for the changing ID numbers... Just saying.

id numbers are gone in a17.

Archived