A16 - STARVATION Mod for A16

Mortelentus

I tried this on an existing savegame, not a fresh one. Ferals can appear early and I've been run over by a dog horde lead by a zombie bear on day 3 or 4 before. There are only very few ferals compared to later game stages though.

So you're listing 9-10 runners in a five ingame days period of time. Alright, that number doesn't sound much different from what I'd expect, maybe a little bit unlucky, considering you died.

The zombies might also be a little bit faster than vanilla, as you stated. I won't argue with that, because I think that's possible and I don't think 10% is a very notable difference that will make or break your gameplay.

I'm pretty sure the detection range of zombies is increased in starvation as well, I didn't even notice a difference to Ravenhearst. Again something that I probably didn't pay attention to, because it wasn't giving me any issues and I was occupied with a lot of other things that did.

For me, of the "challenging" mods, starvation is the most moderate and most fair, gameplaywise. It shifts the challenge to inventory management and preparing yourself and "hides" most difficult encounters in lategame areas or situations with rewarding loot (difficult zombies in difficult poi, not everywhere, ambushes from airdrops, rad zone etc.). As long as you don't "make a mistake", your death count will be low. There may be some deaths you can't avoid.

Fast zombies are in the game, even in vanilla. You can get dogs on day one for example.

Some other issues (like wellness loss, lack of food you mentioned) are things you really avoid easily once you get used to the mechanics and are not as bad as they look in the beginning. Starvation also doesn't gate many things you really need to progress behind random loot luck.

To a random person I will always recommend the starvation mod before any other (yeah, I'm kind of a fangirl be definition it seems) as long as the person doesn't dislike a particular feature. But we're all different and the mods are all different, which is a good thing. You definitely shouldn't feel like wasting time ever when playing a game, in my opinion. So considering all this and looking at the issues you list, I think you're one of the persons I'd recommend some other mod to. I'll send you a pm, advertizing other mods feels inappropriate in the starvation thread.

Spider-Zombies can walk upright and all the other zombies can be spider-zombies, in Starvation. I don't really notice very many crawlers in starvation. But I do notice I see more running zombies then I do walking zombies. :)

The original spider zombie is the only one that climbs up walls though and the zombies that lost a leg are the only ones crawling on their stomachs.

I'm pretty sure you're encountering a lot more runners than walkers, heh. You've probably progressed far in your current savegame to have a high gamestage and your experience and gear gives you the confidence to leave your base at night and explore more dangerous places wihtout thinking twice, right? ;)

Benjiro was having issues with runners at daytime in the first week and what he described as a rather safe area.

hmmm ... returning to Starvation after a while ... can definitely say I've seen a lot more running zombies than I think I should be during the daytime ... but it IS Starvation ... so I just roll with it, and hopefully not die. :D

I do have a request though ... rabbits and chickens ... can you add it so that you can either Scrap them from Inventory, or add a Recipe from inventory to turn them into meat? Otherwise you have to put them down, and try to catch them and kill them, and it's an amazing pain in the rear end.

Thanks. :)

Dedicated server problems

I have installed the mod via the guide and my server doesn't actually start, although it is running I cannot connect to it. I have narrowed the problem down to the items.xml file which with all of the mod files copied over is the file that seems to cause this. does anyone have any advice, I have compared this file with the vanilla and tried to identify if something is missing, idk if the beginning of the vanilla file needs to be added to it or what. Am I getting the right files from the git hub or is there another place I should be downloading from.

I do have a request though ... rabbits and chickens ... can you add it so that you can either Scrap them from Inventory, or add a Recipe from inventory to turn them into meat? Otherwise you have to put them down, and try to catch them and kill them, and it's an amazing pain in the rear end.

Best thing I think you can do is put them into a caged in area when you go to put them down - 3x3 usually works well and you can corner them easily to kill them.

I usually make a small area in my base where I have such a cage and then after a while I have a culling session :D It's evil, but still, survival of the fittest! ;)

question pls i have the cooked placed she has storage bin food and stuff to make corn bread but she is just standing there same with the farmer they not doing nothing and how does the weather work as we been in feb now for 3 time round keeps goin back to feb tks

question pls i have the cooked placed she has storage bin food and stuff to make corn bread but she is just standing there same with the farmer they not doing nothing and how does the weather work as we been in feb now for 3 time round keeps goin back to feb tks

My cook would use food supplies that were in the Fridge, not a supply box, and the farmer will use a FARM storage Box but it HAS to be upgraded to ICE before she will use it.

If your date keeps saying Feb and you aren't progressing to March, you might have a corruption, and may need to start over.

ok got the cook working BUT Farmer still nothing and i put snow balls in the storage with the seeds but not turning blue any idea what i am doin wrong plzzzz

As PurgatoryWolf already said, you gotta upgrade the farm storage to ice. You have to do it yourself. Manually. Put the snowballs into your inventory and rightclick the storage with a suitable tool.

The best way I managed to get survivors to reliably work is to place the following blocks down in this order:

Powered Fridge Bottom - then a powered fridge top either next to it or adjacent to it, to get the food storage.

Cook survivor - I usually put her right next to the fridge but she can be up to 8 blocks away.

Blacksmith and Mechanic - they have to be within 8 blocks of the fridge

2 storage boxes within 2 blocks of the mechanic and the smith.

For the cook survivor you need to put all ingredients she needs in the fridge. She will then craft what you instruct her to craft and put the finished product in the fridge.

For the farmer, I do this:

Powered Fridge Bottom - then a powered fridge top either next to it or adjacent to it, to get the food storage.

Farmer survivor - In the middle of the farming field, within 8 blocks of the fridge so she can access food.

Farm Storage - right next to the farmer.

Then I get a stone axe, wrench, hammer or nailgun, and with snowballs in the inventory upgrade the farm storage. It takes 100 snowballs I think.

Never had a problem since then :D All I need to do is occasionally run the food from one fridge to another to feed the farmer as for some reason she can't eat anything out of the farm storage boxes... Weirdly enough she will starve to death without a fridge nearby. You'd think she'd eat some of the blueberries or corn she picked but... nope. :D

Greetings :D

So I tried out the miner thingy and although I loved the fighting of worms and zeds, I have a little feedback on the system and the gem system in particular as well...

So first up, my armour was all steel so I was ready defensively and my gun was a blue MG4 with normal 7.62 rounds plus a sawbat for melee, so I thought I was probably ready offensively. But turns out I may have been wrong about that... :D

The worms: These guys seem to have a huge amount of health, as it would take me 10 to 20 shots to their face to send them down. I think those little worms shouldn't take that many shots to bring down. Even the sawbat I had wasn't all too useful against them either, taking about 7 hits to finish just one of them off. In the first 2 rounds that wasn't so bad, since there was only 2 or 3 on the first wave about about 5 on the second wave. Third wave came about and I couldn't clear out all the worms before the boss ones started to show up, but most of the zombies were taken care of. I couldn't get them away from the miner.

The 4th round came and the boss worms came in. And they started to use that speed drain trickery that the Mortelentus boss uses... All I thought at that point was 'where is Morte?' I thought at first I had got a morte boss and was going around trying to find it before I worked out it was the boss ones doing it. The speed debuff trickery though just seems... Bullsh*t, for use of a better word? I honestly hate describing it as such because the whole concept of the miner and defending it is awesome, like really awesome and I know a lot of work went into it. And I'm all for doing more such events as it adds a new dimension to the game. It just seems you get debuffed unnecessarily even if you're far from the boss.

So after killing the boss worms (I think I had 4 or 5 of them) the other small worms had actually destroyed the miner by digging under it, I think. I was on flat ground and there was a clear hole where the miner had once been. 5 diamonds that took me about 50 ingame days to find were wasted... But I did get a decent batch of resources from the area from the dropped bag, but no way was it worth those 5 lost diamonds and all the ammo I used up on the enemies trying to defend it. It was fun, sure (until the speed debuff stuff started happening), but such a shame the machine got destroyed in the process. I think I used about 800 7.62 rounds total.

Overall I'd love to use it more, but given how much ammo you need to go through, it's just not worth it when I can auger the same amount up in less time. And I hate saying that because I thought the whole concept was amazing and really wish it was better balanced.

So maybe for the miner there could be a few changes to help the balance a little bit, which I think would make it more worthwhile to use. As honestly I'd love to use it more.

- Add a journal entry for how to build the miner. I had seen the wiki and video but having the journal entry in game would be really handy showing how to craft the components, extra things you need like a generator and a failure relay, and how to set it up.

- Small worms could have less HP - about 1/2 to 1/3 of its current HP. The boss one, not a problem as it's a boss and I'd happily say you could even double or triple it to make up for the lost HP of the small worms.

- The debuff on the boss worm should apply only if it can get close to you. I was over 10 blocks away from it sometimes and getting debuffed by it, which seems a little excessive.

- If the miner can be destroyed so easily, I have an either/or type situation, both of which would work I think:

Either: Make the miner use no diamonds in construction of the drill head (auger doesn't need diamonds in the blade, so...), and switch the control box to use a power core in its recipe. This would keep it at relatively the same point in the game (gamestage around 900-1000 when you have chances of getting power cores from bosses during horde night). That way if the thing is destroyed, you don't have to wait another 50 days to get it back. And the power core can be crafted if you power up the plant so would encourage its use more.

Or: Keep the cost of the miner the same with diamonds, but allow it to have up to 30 blocks placed around it to help defend it. That makes it possible to add 2 layers around roughly (thus requiring more setup, which is a cool thing and encourages design ideas) and gives you a little time to combat the worms, or add some shotgun turrets to take care of zombies whilst you take care of other things. The failure relay is another point that they can attack so being able to defend that also would be helpful too.

Now for the gem system... After killing the boss worms one of them had some gems on him. So I did get some rare things! That was good. However, both of them got destroyed when I tried to add them into the item slots to test them out. Whilst I was working out how to do this I noticed a few things...

Some items can't equip gems that would be really good to add. For example the saw bat can't equip gems when the spiked club can. The same with power tools - I'd love to be able to equip gems to those power tools as that would make them even more useful.

After placing a gem in a steel pickaxe, the first time it worked. I did a side by side comparison and it was a cool buff to block damage. I took it out and tried to place it in an auger, no dice as it couldn't be added. But, when I placed it inside the pickaxe again, the very same one, it got destroyed. So my gems were also taken... And that left me very sour :D After losing both 5 diamonds and 2 rare gems, I put the idea of using the miner or gems out of my mind for the foreseeable future.

But, there you have some feedback, my musings, ideas and frustrations :D I thought I'd tell you about the experience so you can maybe use this feedback in future versions of the mod. Still my favourite mod, though.

The Miner is really meant to be a group event from what I've gathered talking with Mort.

I agree I think there needs some balancing for sure. Cost vs reward seems a little skewed against it being efficient. That being said, I love the idea and direction events are moving with Starvation. As one of Morts early concepts I think what the future holds will be very cool indeed.

Edited by Rags (see edit history)

I agree I think there needs some balancing for sure. Cost vs reward seems a little skewed against it being efficient. That being said, I love the idea and direction events are moving with Starvation. As one of Morts early concepts I think what the future holds will be very cool indeed.

I think for group play maybe it would work a lot better - it seems you'd need at least 2-3 more people with you to effectively get the worms out of the range of the miner :) But, I agree I am loving the ideas going forward here and hopefully it will be expanded upon in A17 :)

Now for Santa...

Problem with the "-" minus key to gems

HI all ,

I don t understand to upgrade items ... When i have the items and i press the - minus key i don t have the GEMS Option ?

why ? ...maybe the bottom don t work in the last patch ? another key to open GEMS OPTION ?

Thx for you response.

HI all ,

I don t understand to upgrade items ... When i have the items and i press the - minus key i don t have the GEMS Option ?

why ? ...maybe the bottom don t work in the last patch ? another key to open GEMS OPTION ?

Thx for you response.

Are you holding the item in your hand? you need to have it equipped and out, then when you press - it should open a small window with a few slots next to the inventory screen.

What's up Starvation? Hey I need some help. Have played this several times before and loved it. Loving the latest version even more and so I am trying to find the Rad zone and am driving around like a fool and cannot find it. Any hints? BTW I am using a random gen version so I know the answer is not clear cut but any hints would be appreciated.