The Offtopic, A17 thread.

Royal Deluxe

That is absolutely what I meant. As I am not the developer or anyone who makes these decisions I can play armchair dev too, like so many people here love to do on a daily basis.

The streamers are supposed to help spread word of mouth on the upcoming product. That was the initial design. PR they kept saying, its a great way to spread the word and hype people. When those people begin to actively release content that hurts your public image they absolutely WOULD be cut off of being part of the early streamer weekend.

If their role is PR and they hurt the image of the brand then they are no longer PR, so why should they reap the benefits of a preview weekend, bring in subs to their channels and make money? If i ♥♥♥♥ talked my employer publicly Id be out on my ass. And since streamers are being used to promote A17 on that weekend, the same rule would apply.

Streamers are being allotted way too much power in the industry today. Companies need to remember these guys are just regular people playing a video game. For every 10 great streamers there's 100 just waiting to catch a break.

I'm just thinking one has to do some serious damage control. If your public image is already taking hits left and right, without streamers, would it do you good in the long term by silencing a handful of critical/negative streamers? Since I can guarantee you, that's how those streamers (and probably others too) will see it. The end result might be that overal damage done by cutting away those streamers is more than the damage done by letting them go on.

I fully agree with you that streamers have way too much power, and are basically just people playing the game. I don't get paid for playing videogames.... unfortunately

It is just hard to grasp. For example in the construction world if a contractor gives me an estimate of substantial completion date of say June/July I realize that it probably going to be some time in August.

It's just hard to grasp that a project missed the estimated release by nearly 50% of the estimated delivery time. A 5 month delay on a 3 year project is understandable. A 5 month delay on 10 month estimate is just hard to grasp.

I am not bashing you guys or saying you are not working enough. I just suppose I don't get how things work in the non physical world.

But if you guys are still iffy on the release month that's enough of an answer for me. I'll try to just forget about the game till after the new year.

Thanks for the update. It gives me a ballpark and hopefully will keep me from checking back again and again.

Welcome to the world of software development.

I've worked on a project before that had an estimated development time of six months, but which - due to various factors - took eighteen months to finish.

It happens.

Sure, the client wasn't happy. But in the end they got what they wanted and now, a over a decade later, they're still using it.

Don't care at all, i'm not the developer, i'm they buyer and i only want to see the state of the game

You don't care about the accuracy of your own statements like the "max 2 hours" comment? That's disappointing.

I'm a buyer too, and I'd rather get my hands on A17 without additional delays, so that I can be entertained with it for many hours, rather than be entertained for less than an hour by yet another video. I submit for your consideration that prioritizing a video means either delaying the release, as people have to work to make it look good, or else letting it look bad, which does the opposite of 'calming the community.'

That is absolutely what I meant. As I am not the developer or anyone who makes these decisions I can play armchair dev too, like so many people here love to do on a daily basis.

The streamers are supposed to help spread word of mouth on the upcoming product. That was the initial design. PR they kept saying, its a great way to spread the word and hype people. When those people begin to actively release content that hurts your public image they absolutely WOULD be cut off of being part of the early streamer weekend.

If their role is PR and they hurt the image of the brand then they are no longer PR, so why should they reap the benefits of a preview weekend, bring in subs to their channels and make money? If i ♥♥♥♥ talked my employer publicly Id be out on my ass. And since streamers are being used to promote A17 on that weekend, the same rule would apply.

Streamers are being allotted way too much power in the industry today. Companies need to remember these guys are just regular people playing a video game. For every 10 great streamers there's 100 just waiting to catch a break.

Anyone who would read the Steam comment from "that person I named elsewhere", they would say the same as you Jax… Cut him off the streaming event altogether! When you cross the line, you deserve whatever happens to you.

Roland posted on that Steam thread, but I don't think he read that person's message... It's mean spirited; no other way to describe it.

All opinions are welcomed as long as they're constructive; but when you drag the devs in the dirt... That's just mean!

That same person also wrote bad comments in the console section, only to be corrected by SylenThunder and others, and suddenly, no more comments from him... Until I saw the ones on Steam.

Okay, time to go play 7 Days to Die and calm myself (Ravenhearst casual, the best for single players... Another free pub for you Jax!).

The only ones who give importance to streamers are their viewers, which means like every other internet entity, they're only powerful if people give them power.

Ain't no streamer powerful enough to override the self importance players give themselves, so whatever negative bashing SOME streamers are giving now is going to be wholly ignored once a17 hits.

Tfp can't lose.

...unless a17 sucks. Which if that's the case, then it STILL doesn't matter what streamers say.

Bottom line, "who gives a ♥♥♥♥".

Re #Paladingate.

Meh, I think the frustration in having waited this long is justified, but I also think the release will be worth it, so both sides are right.

Don't know man. Did you mean that some streamers should not get the early A17e version? I don't think cutting out the streamers with negative opinions about the game will do good in the long term. Since PR isn't TFP's strong suite, to put it that way. Or did I misinterpret what you meant?

And even though they are critical, I think they represent part of the community pretty decently, given that part of the community is highly critical. Whether that's good for TFP is questionable, of course.

IMHO people who come to the forum and post outright lies and mis-information like Skippy has should be fully blacklisted from any future involvement, streaming or otherwise. But that's just me.

I can't understand why people complain about it taking so long when they knowingly bought an Early Access game... It's kind of a given.

I mean, I understand wanting to play it as soon as possible... because it sounds awesome, but seriously, do you want TFP to release A17 in an unplayable state? Game breaking bugs? Half finished features? I don't think so.

I can't understand why people complain about it taking so long when they knowingly bought an Early Access game... It's kind of a given.

I mean, I understand wanting to play it as soon as possible... because it sounds awesome, but seriously, do you want TFP to release A17 in an unplayable state? Game breaking bugs? Half finished features? I don't think so.

And it's not like they can't sit and play a16 right now. And if they're bored with vanilla, there are a plethora of mods to tinker with.

And it's not like they can't sit and play a16 right now. And if they're bored with vanilla, there are a plethora of mods to tinker with.

For me at least, A16 kind of broke the spawn mechanics enough to make it unplayable compared to previous builds. So I've been anxiously waiting for A17 to come out since most of those issues should be fixed. Plus, the new dynamic light looks fantastic.

I've been maintaining a moderate level of patience though. I know it's not easy to get things rejiggered after a major engine update, especially on something like Unity. And I can also understand how TFP's plans on finishing the game up for a gold release can play a factor into any delays or feature changes. Frankly, if I were in their shoes I'd be pretty eager to finish up and move onto a new project on another engine like Unreal. I both admire and respect their dedication to the game, especially with their emphasis on making it actually fun and enjoyable.

Sorry, that was more than I meant to write, but I've done so much hovering in this thread without actually saying anything. And wasn't directed specifically towads you Sylen, just kind of a general sort of comment.

You get what you pay for.

Would you remove an ad from a magazine because they made a negative, even unfair review? If it costs money you may be tempted because the money might be better spent elsewhere, but if the ad were for free or already payed it doesn't help you to hold a grudge.

Insanity. I already explained. I should have said A17e. Oops... at least in review comments I show up as just a regular joe and not a developer or anything.

Thanks for the reply, but that was not what I meant.

Why did you say A17(e) is definitively going to be out before the end of this year? I thought giving out release date estimates was a big no-no, given the past ~57 times that went haywire?

Thought it would be fun to trawl through the thread and take a bunch of quotes out of context :miserable:

3rd June

we are at feature freeze for A17

5th June

People are fixing and optimising

24th June

Things are really coming together with Alpha 17

28th June

Not this month

24th August

its really coming together

28th August

The Stream Event will not be this weekend. I'm hopeful for the following

2nd Sept

I may still be working on stuff I think needs to be done, when experimental is released

3rd Sept

Labor day weekend means work all weekend right?

4th Sept

it would be "overly optimistic to get it out before the end of the month"

8th Sept

We still have a way to go

2 weeks ago

probably NOT the second weekend of October and maybe NOT the third weekend of October

1 week ago

We're smashing it

1 week ago

it won’t be today nor next weekend either

3 days ago

We're making good progress

1 day ago

I am quite certain that the experimental version will NOT be released before the end of October

Fallout 76 is going to fail. It goes against the core fan base of the series.

I don't think it will fail, because Bethesda already shifted their focus with Fallout to a different player base.

I, as a fan of Fallout 1,2 and even Fallout 3 didn't buy Fallout 4 yet and Fallout 76's release will be as important to me as the weather forecast for Namibia.

So Everdeen is in (if that body stays in the world long enough to loot), smell is out (indefinitely as far as I can tell), FO76 is a cash grab into the battle royale market, and maybe the streamer thing was a bad idea.

That about sums up the last few pages, yeah?

So Everdeen is in (if that body stays in the world long enough to loot), smell is out (indefinitely as far as I can tell), FO76 is a cash grab into the battle royale market, and maybe the streamer thing was a bad idea.

That about sums up the last few pages, yeah?

Don't forget the uh.. circulatory pleasuring activity mentioned a few pages back.

IMHO people who come to the forum and post outright lies and mis-information like Skippy has should be fully blacklisted from any future involvement, streaming or otherwise. But that's just me.

Would you like to back up that statement and quote the misinformation I've posted on this forum?

"I'm not a dev so I can't have a negative opinon about dev" makes about as much sense as saying "you can't say that was a bad movie, you're not a producer. Or, you can't say that was a bad meal, you didn't go to school to be a chef"

PR goes both ways man, when we're told to hype up our audience with a video then everything goes silent, how does that look on US as a streamer. You for some reason think we shouldn't have a voice, because it goes against yours, that is wrong and it's why the old industry is failling.

You're welcome to your opinon, but muting critism is how great people fall.

Why are TFP and their fanboys so afraid of negative opinions? People are allowed to post their honest opinion just like anyone else in this community. Just because you don't like what is said means you have to take it personally. This community needs a little bit more professionalism especially TFP. Or at least hire someone more professional than Roland to be PR and voice of the team. The only person I've ever seen who was formerly apart of the team be professional is Clare. They could all learn from Clare.

Censoring people for giving their honest opinion and blaming people with negative criticism for the problems of the game are absolutely childish.

Archived