The Offtopic, A17 thread.

Royal Deluxe

He came on TFP's forums and accused them of lying about why A17 is not out yet. He then tried to play it off as him just stating his "opinion". That's not how opinions work.

Unless he deleted the posts in which he did that... if he didn't, then oh homie, no... It looks like you're just putting words into the mouth of someone who is thinking about what might also be mitigating the release of A17-E. Now, i dont agree with him, but it is opinion on one of the causes of causing the release of A17 to take longer.

it's too long for a single alpha, my opinion is that TFP is working in parallel on a future game

Thats the quote, the only comment of his i see where he's stating an opinion. Not fact, not accusing, attacking, slandering, spitting, dancing or tickling anything.

Gotta stop putting words into peoples mouths.

Also...

o·pin·ion

/əˈpinyən/Submit

noun

a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

basically, his post was an opinion.

Unless he deleted the posts in which he did that... if he didn't, then oh homie, no... It looks like you're just putting words into the mouth of someone who is thinking about what might also be mitigating the release of A17-E. Now, i dont agree with him, but it is opinion on one of the causes of causing the release of A17 to take longer.

Thats the quote, the only comment of his i see where he's stating an opinion. Not fact, not accusing, attacking, slandering, spitting, dancing or tickling anything.

Gotta stop putting words into peoples mouths.

Also...

o·pin·ion

/əˈpinyən/Submit

noun

a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

basically, his post was an opinion.

No, it wasn't. There is no judgement involved on whether they "are working in parallel on a future game." It is objectively true or objectively false.

Here is also from Merriam-Webster entry on opinion. It is near the bottom on how to choose a synonym. I highlighted the pertinent section in red. "OPINION, VIEW, BELIEF, CONVICTION, PERSUASION, SENTIMENT mean a judgment one holds as true. OPINION implies a conclusion thought out yet open to dispute." They either are or are not working on a future game. It is not "open to dispute." It is either true or false.

No, it wasn't. There is no judgement involved on whether they "are working in parallel on a future game." It is objectively true or objectively false.

Here is also from Merriam-Webster entry on opinion. It is near the bottom on how to choose a synonym. I highlighted the pertinent section in red. "OPINION, VIEW, BELIEF, CONVICTION, PERSUASION, SENTIMENT mean a judgment one holds as true. OPINION implies a conclusion thought out yet open to dispute." They either are or are not working on a future game. It is not "open to dispute." It is either true or false.

Its his opinion that they are working on another game, but TFP just wont admit it yet. If thats the case then his opinion is correct. There is no fact to disprove him if they are working on an unnannounced project. So u cant prove that they arent doing so.

Disclaimer, I dont with him agree but I understand his opinion reasoning

Its his opinion that they are, but TFP just wont admit it yet. If thats the case then his opinion is correct. There is no fact to disprove him, if they are working on an unnannounced project. Which u cant prove that they arent

It doesn't matter if I can prove it or not. still has nothing to do with opinion. If they are or aren't isn't disputable. Disputable: "giving good reason for being doubted, questioned, or challenged" Things that are disputable are along the lines of "tea is better warm" ,"this soap smells nice." There are two sides to those. Some people will agree and some will not. Therefore opinion would be appropriate. You don't have an opinion about something that is either objectively true or objectively false. Opinion plays no part in these situations.

Thinking opinion has anything to do with a statement like this is one of the biggest issues today. People think their opinions trump facts when in reality they have nothing to do with each other.

It doesn't matter if I can prove it or not. still has nothing to do with opinion. If they are or aren't isn't disputable. Disputable: "giving good reason for being doubted, questioned, or challenged" Things that are disputable are along the lines of "tea is better warm" ,"this soap smells nice." There are two sides to those. Some people will agree and some will not. Therefore opinion would be appropriate. You don't have an opinion about something that is either objectively true or objectively false. Opinion plays no part in these situations.

Thinking opinion has anything to do with a statement like this is one of the biggest issues today. People think their opinions trump facts when in reality they have nothing to do with each other.

So what is it called if he thinks they are working on an announced game and there is no proof that they are or arent

So what is it called if he thinks they are working on an announced game and there is no proof that they are or arent

conjecture noun

con·​jec·​ture | \kən-ˈjek-chər \

Definition of conjecture (Entry 1 of 2)

1 a : inference formed without proof or sufficient evidence

b : a conclusion deduced by surmise or guesswork

e.g. The criminal's motive remains a matter of conjecture.

c : a proposition (as in mathematics) before it has been proved or disproved

Guess would be another word. I was going to go with "delusion" but he could be right. Lol

conjecture noun

con·​jec·​ture | \kən-ˈjek-chər \

Definition of conjecture (Entry 1 of 2)

1 a : inference formed without proof or sufficient evidence

b : a conclusion deduced by surmise or guesswork

e.g. The criminal's motive remains a matter of conjecture.

c : a proposition (as in mathematics) before it has been proved or disproved

Guess would be another word. I was going to go with "delusion" but he could be right. Lol

opinion noun

opin·​ion | \ə-ˈpin-yən \

Definition of opinion

1a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

We asked them for their opinions about the new stadium.

b : APPROVAL, ESTEEM

I have no great opinion of his work.

2a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge

a person of rigid opinions

b : a generally held view

news programs that shape public opinion

3a : a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert

My doctor says that I need an operation, but I'm going to get a second opinion.

b : the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based

The article discusses the recent Supreme Court opinion.

Also from merriam-webster

Him thinking that TFP is making a second game is an opinion, could be conjecture... delusion is just you being angry for no reason. Hell, it could even be a hypothesis.

Dont take so much offense that you need to blow up on a guy with a thought.

opinion noun

opin·​ion | \ə-ˈpin-yən \

Definition of opinion

1a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

We asked them for their opinions about the new stadium.

b : APPROVAL, ESTEEM

I have no great opinion of his work.

2a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge

a person of rigid opinions

b : a generally held view

news programs that shape public opinion

3a : a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert

My doctor says that I need an operation, but I'm going to get a second opinion.

b : the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based

The article discusses the recent Supreme Court opinion.

Also from merriam-webster

Him thinking that TFP is making a second game is an opinion, could be conjecture... delusion is just you being angry for no reason. Hell, it could even be a hypothesis.

Dont take so much offense that you need to blow up on a guy with a thought.

Even according to all the definitions you posted, opinion still doesn't work in this context. But, yes, you are correct. It could be conjecture, guess, or hypothesis. Just not opinion. That's not the type of information opinion has any relevance too.

And who said I'm mad? It's a stupid argument on the internet about a) a game, and now b) the meaning of a word. It's a way to pass time. Who would get actually angry at that?

Even according to all the definitions you posted, opinion still doesn't work in this context. But, yes, you are correct. It could be conjecture, guess, or hypothesis. Just not opinion. That's not the type of information opinion has any relevance too.

And who said I'm mad? It's a stupid argument on the internet about a) a game, and now b) the meaning of a word. It's a way to pass time. Who would get actually angry at that?

oh no, it fits in the context of what he said, and this isnt an argument, its a debate. life or death, really... maybe.. just calm down (dont you love how telling someone to calm down almost always does the exact opposite?)

oh no, it fits in the context of what he said, and this isnt an argument, its a debate. life or death, really... maybe.. just calm down (dont you love how telling someone to calm down almost always does the exact opposite?)

No, it really doesn't. Opinion is only a valid reference when the thing being talked about is subjective. Whether TFP is, or is not, working on a future game is not subjective. They either ARE or they ARE NOT. If something is either a) objectively true or b) objectively false then choosing one and saying it is your opinion is nonsensical. I'm sorry you don't understand it but that's what the word means.

He may even be correct that they are. We have no way to know unless they tell us. But, if they are, it isn't his opinion that is true it is his guess that turned out to be true.

And, no reason to tell me to calm down. I'm not the one that seems upset about all this. I'm on a game forum passing time. If it started to upset me I would just move to something else that didn't. Of course I'm not 12 so the odds of anything on here upsetting me are pretty low.

And debate is usually only used in the context of a formal setting with set rules. We can establish some rules and debate this topic also if you want. Or, we could just forget setting rules and argue about it like we are the opinion/guess thing. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I leave for awhile to go shopping and play some Alpha 17, and when I come back, the forums are on fire. Honestly, I can't leave you children alone for 5 minutes! Debating debates?! Defining definitions?! Why can't me and your father have ONE day to ourselves where I don't have to worry about you burning the forums down?! All of you go to your rooms this instant!

Archived