Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Most of those underground threats you've read about were in threads of players trying to limit how other people play. As for what the Dev team is planning for underground, all I have seen is new Dungeon POI's with traps and sleepers. Seems to me to be much like Skyscrapers, except going down instead of up.

As for adding things to mines/bunkers that you have dug, if it's not an environmental hazard there isn't much leeway to add dangers that won't break immersion. Sleepers or hordes appearing in a tunnel you dug, that just randomly appear... unimmersive. Some kind of new zombie or monster that digs into your mine/bunker... better. Oxygen deprivation... also better, but very limiting to time-intensive mining operations. Tunnel collapse risk... perfect, and already in the game.

Does your game also stutter a lot? how did you fix / lower it?

This likely won't be an issue in Alpha 17 because the game engine has been replaced with a newer better one.

The Pimps are working their asses off to bring you a great game, relax they got you.

Does your game also stutter a lot? how did you fix / lower it?

I run the game on an SSD instead of an HDD and upgraded my RAM. Those are probably the 2 biggest things for this game, because chunk loading is a huge part of the problem. That's why if your minibike is too fast, or if you fly around in admin mode at top speed, it doesn't take too long before you get beyond what your PC has loaded. A better processor and graphics card helps too, but I have really found that FAST access to memory and plenty of RAM is best for 7dtd. Hopefully, as the game comes closer to gold and becomes more optimized it will run better on less robust systems. I love getting my friends to log on to my server and play, but not everyone can support a top of the line gaming PC and still pay their bills.

On a side note, I just built a new rig for my wife, it's a beast you should see how smooth Alpha 16.4 runs on it, just wow!

ASUS ROG STRIX 299-E, LGA 2066

Intel Core i7-7820X Skylake-X 8-Core 3.6 GHz

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3466

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe

Corsair Hydro Series, H115i PRO RGB (So I could OC it)

Unfortunately with all the Bitcoin miners buying up all the high end graphics cards I was unable to get one so she is still using a EVGA GTX780 FTW Edition, so that is a bottleneck but there is nothing I can do about it right now, but the computer core is so blazing fast it doesn't seem to care that the GPU is older.

I run the game on an SSD instead of an HDD and upgraded my RAM. Those are probably the 2 biggest things for this game, because chunk loading is a huge part of the problem. That's why if your minibike is too fast, or if you fly around in admin mode at top speed, it doesn't take too long before you get beyond what your PC has loaded. A better processor and graphics card helps too, but I have really found that FAST access to memory and plenty of RAM is best for 7dtd. Hopefully, as the game comes closer to gold and becomes more optimized it will run better on less robust systems. I love getting my friends to log on to my server and play, but not everyone can support a top of the line gaming PC and still pay their bills.

i was thinking about getiting an ssd but i wasn't sure how much difference i'd make

- - - Updated - - -

This likely won't be an issue in Alpha 17 because the game engine has been replaced with a newer better one.

The Pimps are working their asses off to bring you a great game, relax they got you.

you mean they updated unity to the 2017 version but not sure how much it would actually affect performance

you mean they updated unity to the 2017 version but not sure how much it would actually affect performance

As dhlmaster explained your computer has a lot to do with the performance of the game because it is resource intensive, however a new game engine can make a huge difference because the newer version could have performance related optimizations and features that previously weren't available on older versions.

i was thinking about getiting an ssd but i wasn't sure how much difference i'd make

Its senseless, it only reduce the loadtimes from

2 Secs or time X

to

Instand or time X/5

Nobody percive the difference between 5 Seconds and a half minute. I am sure

ahh and btw.

Happy Christmas

Many people like me who have not so good PCs

Could add a button [Activate or Desactivate] of the animations of the Grass and the Leaves of the trees to be able to have a little more of FPS

They're speedtrees, so it doesn't really work like that... You can limit their graphics though.

Speaking of speedtrees...come on pimps! you are missing the one tree that actually grows all thru the deserts out here in Nevada , Arizona , New Mexico , California , Utah and Texas...that I have seen firsthand in all those states...

Yes , I know it is a minor thing...but it is one I will keep bringing up! ;)

Joshua-trees-keys-view-road.jpg.2f1aa2b7c21f423c2316f3d3afbabc45.jpg

Speaking of speedtrees...come on pimps! you are missing the one tree that actually grows all thru the deserts out here in Nevada , Arizona , New Mexico , California , Utah and Texas...that I have seen firsthand in all those states...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24258[/ATTACH]

Yes, a million times yes, especially because adobe is gone.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24258[/ATTACH]

Nice! I like it. :)

My town (Niland, CA), looks like it would fit right into 7dtd. Heck, some parts of random gen even resemble my town slightly. Also, I'm really hoping the reason this update is so huge(aside from the obvious stuff we already know) is due to survivors and active settlements :D

My take on why it is taking so long is that they hired new people who had to be brought up to date on what they wanted to do in the future, get them familiar with what had been done in the past, discuss what needed to be done so they could do what the Pimps wanted in the game. Have lots and lots of very important discussions of what was feasible, what wasn't, what needed to be changed to make the game be what the Pimps wanted.

Then, they had to get to work on that. You don't go and get lumber, cement blocks, bricks, sheetrock and whatever else is needed and then get the crew and go put it up before the owners state how they want the house made. Design, figure layout, get materials, make sure equipment is working, supplies is needed, crew is able to do the job, all the t's are crossed and i's are dotted, THEN you start to build it.

Yes, some stuff should have been done a alpha or so back, that is past, quick harping on the past. Focus on the future, They have to redo a lot that takes time, then they have to add the new stuff, that takes time, they have to test it and see if it will work, that takes time.

Do something like what I have done, take a break, go check out other games, play some new games replay some old games you have played for a year or more.

I realized that I had to buy a gaming keypad and need to learn how to use it so I can play the game that is top of my favorite list (7 Days). Admit that I need to go to pain management due to back and shoulder. Check out mods and somewhat play them, check out new games, I bought seven of them, watching videos of them so when I can play I will have a idea of what I am dong (I hope).

Relax, chill out, spend time with family, watch a movie with your family, friends, or by yourself and not have to argue over the volume.

Did I remember to say relax?

Happy Easter to everyone.

My take on why it is taking so long is that they hired new people who had to be brought up to date on what they wanted to do in the future, get them familiar with what had been done in the past, discuss what needed to be done so they could do what the Pimps wanted in the game. Have lots and lots of very important discussions of what was feasible, what wasn't, what needed to be changed to make the game be what the Pimps wanted.

Then, they had to get to work on that. You don't go and get lumber, cement blocks, bricks, sheetrock and whatever else is needed and then get the crew and go put it up before the owners state how they want the house made. Design, figure layout, get materials, make sure equipment is working, supplies is needed, crew is able to do the job, all the t's are crossed and i's are dotted, THEN you start to build it.

Yes, some stuff should have been done a alpha or so back, that is past, quick harping on the past. Focus on the future, They have to redo a lot that takes time, then they have to add the new stuff, that takes time, they have to test it and see if it will work, that takes time.

Do something like what I have done, take a break, go check out other games, play some new games replay some old games you have played for a year or more.

I realized that I had to buy a gaming keypad and need to learn how to use it so I can play the game that is top of my favorite list (7 Days). Admit that I need to go to pain management due to back and shoulder. Check out mods and somewhat play them, check out new games, I bought seven of them, watching videos of them so when I can play I will have a idea of what I am dong (I hope).

Relax, chill out, spend time with family, watch a movie with your family, friends, or by yourself and not have to argue over the volume.

Did I remember to say relax?

Happy Easter to everyone.

There have been lots and lots of team meetings. My team meeting on the dev diary HP bar was very well attended by all whom I invited....

Roland stated:

"There have been lots and lots of team meetings. My team meeting on the dev diary HP bar was very well attended by all whom I invited.... "

I guess I worded something wrong. I was trying to state that the fun pimps aren't sitting on their thumbs doing nothing, they, and the people who have been with them from the start and the new people have been meeting, talking, planning, discussing what needs to be changed and done to make the game great. They have been working, not sitting around, joking and drinking coffee.

Al the changes need time to be worked on, blended with the old stuff, get set up for the new stuff and then it can be released. Until then, chill out, they are working on it, not goofing off.

We need to find something to hold our attention if we are frustrated, find something else to play, go take a walk in the rain, drink a Pina Colada, chat with a friend, go outside and see that there is still a sun or a moon in the sky. Something so you won't sit and get grumpy about the game not being ready for release.

Archived