Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

It's simple experience. I gather that from years of playing multiple genres of games, including online games and what players are chatting about (speaking of unfiltered worldchat here) reading forums, and yes, watching YouTube videos that are rarely from the same channels. Sorry to burst your bubble here (pun most definitely intended).

What you have is anecdote. You can have the most experience of all of us combined and watch all the YouTubes and read every word on every forum, but it means nothing when you are trying to prove or convince someone of something. Show some facts and data to back up what you are claiming.

an·ec·dote

ˈanəkˌdōt/

noun

noun: anecdote; plural noun: anecdotes

a short and amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.

"told anecdotes about his job"

synonyms: story, tale, narrative, incident; More

urban myth/legend;

informalyarn

"amusing anecdotes"

an account regarded as unreliable or hearsay.

"his wife's death has long been the subject of rumor and anecdote"

the depiction of a minor narrative incident in a painting.

Here is a good example of providing proof. Out of the top ten games with concurrent players right now on Steam only one is a single player only game. The top three do no even contain a single player option. Here is my link so you can fact check me. http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

What you have is anecdote. You can have the most experience of all of us combined and watch all the YouTubes and read every word on every forum, but it means nothing when you are trying to prove or convince someone of something. Show some facts and data to back up what you are claiming.

As I already said, I didn't mean to say I had factual proof of anything, but just a pretty good general idea.

MM, Roland, Gazz, I have this question: Can we finally open the map of the world without leaving the transport? It's so simple, sitting in a jeep, or sitting on a motorcycle (minibike), which stands, get a map of the world and something to do with it (see, put a label, etc.).

Yes! Gorammit yes!!!!

Orsey, You ask so many questions that get ignored so this one is for you to take back and tell all your peeps. This could mean my end but you deserve it man. Let those others pick apart your color choices. I'm here to deliver.

YES. "Dora" is a go.

"Everdeen" is still a maybe :/

Yes! Gorammit yes!!!!

Orsey, You ask so many questions that get ignored so this one is for you to take back and tell all your peeps. This could mean my end but you deserve it man. Let those others pick apart your color choices. I'm here to deliver.

YES. "Dora" is a go.

"Everdeen" is still a maybe :/

Dora the explorer?

Yes! Gorammit yes!!!!

YES. "Dora" is a go.

I swear you tfp guys collude...

@alloc GSR2, am I right?

Everdeen: 4 vowels

Vowel: rhymes with howl

Howl: a call for back up

= Factions and reputation system.

Wow. Interesting direction. maaaaaaybe. I mean everything you said in the first three lines is absolutely true so that's tough logic to refute.

Is an apocalypse an end event? Can you have a second apocalypse during the first one?

Does it even matter?

Trust me, you can definitely have a 2nd apocalypse; just when you think you're done with the first one, and you get up to wash your hands, boom, it happens again.

/feces lives matter

Given recent revelations, there’s a lot riding on Everdeen for fans. I’m hoping this codenamed feature turns out to be something ‘heavy’ rather than something flashy. If Alpha 17 really is Beta, then that would make Everdeen the last unconfirmed feature fans know of to ‘make the cut’ into gold. Whatever you’ve been waiting for, thinking the game isn’t finished without X, now you’d better hope either that’s what Everdeen is, or that your hopes are covered by something similar whose code name hasn’t been identified.

As for my guess, Everdeen is most likely a Hunger Games reference, but I never read those books or watched those movies. Having researched the plot a bit, some kind of last-fighter-standing battle royale mode would be the first guess. But given that player-versus-player gameplay has never been the focus (and 7DtD would have stiff competition in that category), my next best guesses are that Everdeen = factions or Everdeen = horde mode.

- SURVIVAL mode -

Hey Devs/Joel - I love playing 7DTD with my little brother, starting with nothing and trying our all to survive, build etc.. makes the game last and we're always out trying to find loot, giving the game purpose as the intro video of the game implies (right?)

Anything that would make the game too easy where you, say could simply fly around, drive around safely and just shoot whatever that comes at you takes quite a bit away from the "survival" aspect. No offense but if I want to fly around and just shoot NPCs I'll fire up FarCry4 - see where I'm going with this?

Having to scrounge, be scared not to find honey to cure yourself or hunker down well enough to survive the 1st bloodmoon is really what makes this game unique, having to build/craft ala Minecraft really makes this game engaging. Planning your in-game days to go further out and try to loot a place or fortify your base the night before bloodmoon etc. that's what makes the game fun for us.

Think about it, don't lose sight of that intro video, that's what 7DTD is to me and what makes it appealing. I started on A15 and always look at your vids. Currently holding out, waiting for A17 hoping to start fresh and find a sweet challenge.

I don't think having more vehicles is bad, however, it can really turn this game on its head making it just another zomby game with a small build up at the beginning only to turn into another zombie shooter.

Dying Light had something I appreciated - if you fire off a gun, or do anything loud - crazed Zeds come out of nowhere and they're unpleasant to deal with. Anyway - food for thought guys.

Looking forward to your next vids and certainly next release(s)!

Cheers

Is an apocalypse an end event? Can you have a second apocalypse during the first one?

The original meaning of apocalypse is a disclosure of knowledge or revelation. So you could have a vision of the end of the world and meanwhile the end of the world is actually happening.

It's simple experience. I gather that from years of playing multiple genres of games, including online games and what players are chatting about (speaking of unfiltered worldchat here) reading forums, and yes, watching YouTube videos that are rarely from the same channels. Sorry to burst your bubble here (pun most definitely intended).

Thank you. I couldn't have made my point about filter bubbles as well as you did :smile-new:

An NPC leading you to a location in the game is not a tutorial. Noah said go there, then what? That's the begining of a storyline.

It is a tutorial. It shows you that traders exist who can be quite a help in the early game and where you can find one in your area. And it also is the beginning of a storyline because of that one sentence. Remove the sentence and what is left is the last hint in a 10(?) part tutorial

I would concur; it's what makes the most sense, assuming Roland didn't pick the name randomly just to cause speculation. He's also referenced arrows like 6 dozen times since as well, so who knows.

We also know it works in single player and is making problems in multiplayer! So battle royale mode is out (because how should that work in SP?). And Roland's words seemed to hint at a completely new feature, so factions should be out too

And arrows and multiplayer problems would point to arrows and something with targeting zombies and other players. That would be my guess, because latency could create problems with consistency.

Archived