Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I've always thought that the sleeper respawn timer should just be the loot respawn timer. That way when the loot comes back so do the guards. Seems like it would solve the problem of zombies spawning in inhabited POI's because the loot respawn timer starts over whenever a player is in the vicinity. The only way sleepers would respawn in the POI is if all players left the chunk for the duration of the loot timer.

It would also give people more incentive to stealth loot a house as a trick on fellow server occupants so that when someone else comes by and kills all the zombies...the joke's on them.

I know it's not popular a design (sleepers respawns when leaving POI), but it is an effective counter measure to prevent people from cheesing dungeons within other games. In other games, after you drag the mobs out far enough, they reset and run back to their original spots lol.

Running into a POI and dragging out all the zombies in order to loot everything shouldn't be a strategic option imo (regardless how immersive/realistic it may be). Maybe there is a compromise out there somewhere...for example, if you run out trying to wake everything up. A horde should spawn outside making it more difficult to run back in....

That way, if you do run back in after dragging everything out...it becomes more risky (risk vs reward!!!)

I agree with that. It's kind of immersion breaking. Luring them out and away from the building should be a viable strategy.

originally there was supposed to be a delay on repop. Maybe it makes A17. I'm ok with zombies repopulating places I haven't been for a few hours to a few days, but right now if you walk outside the invisible line before clearing all you get a full respwn. Thats not great.

Adding a timer seems....not so difficult from the outside - just have it run -on activate sleeper- en reset everytime one activates for all already cleared in that poi. then after the 1 timer for poi runs out before the all-clear flag - repopulate upon entry. I'm sure i'm missing something, seems to easy.

Here is one issue with that system.

Why can I not just attract the zombies and lead them out of the house?

I know the explanation was to prevent Pied Piper clearing of POIs.

However, previously the justification of forcing the kill to be in the sleeper volume was rationalized by at least you get loot to offset the risk and expense of resources in doing such.

Now we still can't do as any sane person would do and lead the zombies away because they won't count as kills to the volume, but we also don't gain the reward.

Just another thought on the change on loot factors and how it impacts Sleep Volume balance issues.

Any sane person playing a game or any sane person in a zombie apocalypse? To an extent, one could try to lead zombies away because not engaging the things that could kill you or cause you to turn would be safer. Still, it's not particularly safe to lead away a horde of zombies which might circle back to you and trap you in the house. If it's a manageable group in an open-enough area, a sane person would try to clear out the place because a dead zed is one less zed to face later. (Think TWD in the prison. So many mistakes there that came back to haunt them.)

I agree. The vomiting, exploding cop zombies are really absurd. Good if Monty Python made a Zombie movie maybe...

Really because they are one of my favorite zombies, I love the difficulty and I wish their were more zombies with interesting abilities like this, more difficulty not less I say!

I know it's not popular a design (sleepers respawns when leaving POI), but it is an effective counter measure to prevent people from cheesing dungeons within other games. In other games, after you drag the mobs out far enough, they reset and run back to their original spots lol.

Running into a POI and dragging out all the zombies in order to loot everything shouldn't be a strategic option imo (regardless how immersive/realistic it may be). Maybe there is a compromise out there somewhere...for example, if you run out trying to wake everything up. A horde should spawn outside making it more difficult to run back in....

That way, if you do run back in after dragging everything out...it becomes more risky (risk vs reward!!!)

This can all be countered with a bedroll, put one down up against the wall of the POI you are about to raid and problem solved, cheesy? yes but effective.

This can all be countered with a bedroll, put one down up against the wall of the POI you are about to raid and problem solved, cheesy? yes but effective.

Yes, but different. The bedroll nvolves dying which does have some costs associated to it. But I agree, perhaps bedrolls need another design review. :p

Agreed...I loot the compound and leave. Too easy to get high quality stuff. Same goes for the minibike... never really use it unless going to visit someone.

Regards

Ouch

So it is just a balance issue?

Would be nice if a trader is more rare and sells bigger amounts of basic stuff and non of the high level rare loot.

The problem with the system is that zombies can respawn in an area that's not only been cleared, but also blocked off from an uncleared area due to a barricade, and that's just weird.

If volumes didn't have to be rectangles, poi makers could more intelligently design them and you could limit the respawns per volume, not poi.

That's the one thing I have a problem with...which is why I think placing and giving the bedroll a NO SPAWN area would help. As you place another one in a new area the No Spawn is lifted from the first one placed. It should be 15x15 at least, but maybe 30 upwards , for taller buildings.

MTFGA

perhaps bedrolls need another design review. :p

I'm having weird thoughts about some zombies targeting the bed also instead of just the player on horde nights or spawn events :strawberry:

Would be nice if a trader is more rare and sells bigger amounts of basic stuff and non of the high level rare loot.

I suppose tying their inventory listing to the level of you scavenging skill or level could work?

Yes, but different. The bedroll nvolves dying which does have some costs associated to it. But I agree, perhaps bedrolls need another design review. :p

I'm suggesting using the bedroll as a anti-spawn device, I don't expect to die while raiding the POI.

So it is just a balance issue?

Yes and no...I agree with them being more rare...sometimes you find 2-3 around a city.

But the design of selling items and buying better ones needs to be addressed.

Ouch

Why are you guys whining so much about MM's video? Because clearly everything new in the game was shown in his 40 minute video! Calm down, take a breath, think happy thoughts, eat some sugar. They already told us that they wont tell us Everything they did, because they do want some things to be a surprise! So just wait and see!

Why are you guys whining so much about MM's video? Because clearly everything new in the game was shown in his 40 minute video! Calm down, take a breath, think happy thoughts, eat some sugar. They already told us that they wont tell us Everything they did, because they do want some things to be a surprise! So just wait and see!

Well, its what happens when there's not enough information and people are getting a little impatient to play. Any info is over scrutinized. Until A17E drops, then release, and then when A18 is announced to be in the works, we'll be here again... and its rather entertaining

I have never used the trader. Found it boring and breaks my immersion of surviving on my own.

I'd honestly be okay if the trader was removed, but as long as it's in the game I have to maximize m efficiency with it. That's just how I am.

- - - Updated - - -

eidobunny and others have been saying if there's no incentive to fight the blood moon horde, then they'll just jump on a minibike, or tread water, or hide underground until morning. Consider if the time, effort, and risk versus reward of all those alternatives were, dare I say it, balanced.

The real issue is that all those horde-avoiding methods are holes in the game's design right now. I'm not saying they should all be disallowed. I'm saying they should be brought 'into the fold' so that, as eidobunny puts it, the game doesn't let the player optimize away the fun.

In other words, the game's answer to "well I'll just do this instead" should not be "oh no you won't." But it should be "that will be similarly challenging."

Yes I agree with that

And whos fault is it if you dont play Death is Death ?

It would be mine but I do play Dead is Dead. I was just discussing why loot is such a big deal to some people. With death having no in game meaning loot is the reward people fall back on. Not dying isn't much of a reward when dying is meaningless. Just an observation. I don't expect significant changes to death in the game. The amount of negative effects it would take to make death enough of a penalty wouldn't be very popular. I know I have a play style that is an outlier. :)

Archived