Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

While I am sure I would watch, I am not sure MM would go for it. Just because he has nothing to gain that way. Why if he wins would he get a steam key for the test branch. He could get one without having to do it. Gup, you have to make it interesting for both parties if you want them to go at it :D

Oh uh, Bloom would have to post only positive things going forward.

I have never used the trader. Found it boring and breaks my immersion of surviving on my own.

I am thinking the lowered loot is going to force the use of the traders. Especially with 1/2 or more of the loot containers in the houses now being empty.

I don’t know if I completely understand the weapon mods but a crossbow will be just a crossbow,right?

Yeh but what if you added a scope, or a laser sight (which is what I'm pretty sure was on MM's shotgun [the little white box in his reticule]), or um, pulley's to make it a compound crossbow... those would be mods to the crossbow.

- - - Updated - - -

Stakes have to be within the realm of possibility...

C'mon Roland, let's Don King this thing and make it happen.

I'm pretty sure I could destroy you in any game, I used to smash whole teams of people against me alone in quake and counter strike and was offered to be sponsored years back to travel and compete but I was wanting to make games so I declined. I do stupid stuff deliberately to make the videos entertaining so think what you want to think. I already proved the game can't kill me in my dead is dead video series I posted an alpha or two ago, and look at my kill 20 dog challenge video. After we shipped Gore (a pvp shooter) the best guy who was hands down the top player in the whole community challenged me and I smoked him 20 to 3.

And your the one who is comical, the pvp player base is less than 1% of our customer base. Maybe its 40% of the vocal minority community, but its literally nothing, all our players are friends playing coop with friends or single player on private servers.

I mostly play 7dtd solo as I feel more players just makes the game too easy.

A17 is going to be a change for me, not sure how imma like having to be forced to deal with the 7 day horde before I am ready. I usually don't attempt to fight a horde till the day 14 or 21 hordes. Then again if their loot is improved with it supposedly having bosses now, I'll be much more tempted to fight them. in A16.4 I just don't see a reason to waste the resources. I also usually build my base underground as its alot less work, especally if in the desert, sand is easy to dig thru.

But, those zombies have to be respawned. They don't hang around while you leave and wander around for 10 minutes. Large POIs have many sleeper volumes, usually next to each other and dozens of zombies. If you come back in another direction, it may not be able to respawn in the same spots without being seen.

Why don't they hang around while I wander around for 10 minutes? Wouldn't it make most of these issues go away if they did stay spawned until some chosen amount of time? I assume it is for performance but are sleepers that have "spawned" but not awake and hunting a player that much of a performance hit? If they currently are too much of a performance hit, is this a place where the new job system could help when it gets fully implemented into 7 Days? Just seems like the spawn/respawn is what causes most of your headaches when dealing with the whole sleeper system and would be easier if you could leave them spawned for as long as possible once they are.

Yeh but what if you added a scope, or a laser sight (which is what I'm pretty sure was on MM's shotgun [the little white box in his reticule]), or um, pulley's to make it a compound crossbow... those would be mods to the crossbow.

That would be nice additions to the crossbow.

I am still hoping in higher tier primitive weapons.

Oh you just made my day Roland! I would hug you if I could, but...can you record you asking him this? Or send a transcript. I would love to see his face when you call him the Joelercoaster! I mean, I think just about everyone disagrees on zombie loot it seems but a good compromise for peace is choice of panties....thats it. I am starting the Panties for Peace club on the forums, who is with me? :)

A choice of underwear would be good. We should at least be able to wear them back to front and inside out to get more mileage. I just want to feel civilized again!

Panties for the people!!!

(after reading pages and pages and pages of... stuff... this is what stood out)

I think the most irritating thing i saw was MM trying to pick the arrows out of the corpses. I have two ideas that could make this less annoying.

1- the arrows move to a loot bag when the corpse despawns; or

2- you simply click use on the corpse to retrieve all arrows, instead of having to fiddle around with each one and their tiny-ness.

Also i want spears. and a shield.

But that's all I can think of.

TFP, you guys are doing great!

HEY now!

Look at the server list and population count on MP servers. Out of all MP servers I would say at LEAST 20% if not 30% of active players are playing on PvPvE or even specifically PvP servers. Co-op is definitely the majority but I wouldn't say PvPers are "less than 1%," that's just not a fair statement.

Servers numbers does not account the thousands of single player games lowering your pvp percentage considerably I think.

I think the most irritating thing i saw was MM trying to pick the arrows out of the corpses. I have two ideas that could make this less annoying.

2- you simply click use on the corpse to retrieve all arrows, instead of having to fiddle around with each one and their tiny-ness.

I believe Skyrim handled it this way as well; transferred the successfully recovered arrows into the loot pool, removed arrows from body. The only sticking point (pun not intended) would be that it would generate a lot more loot containers than intended, which arguably may be acceptable for the number of arrow-ridden corpses.

Theres millions of silent customers who just played the game solo 2-20 hours who never used the forum in their life.

1. your frequent use of hyperboly makes your statements less credible, since it sounds like you only pull numbers out of your behind :D

2. and there are countless players who play multiplayer(PVP and PVE) that never register on the forums, beit because of the language barrier or because they see no need for it or dislike forums...

that is not an argument. And I feel like your vision for this game has warped your view on things a bit...

as I've said I dont have much data... but from all I've seen there are TONS of PvP players... unmodded dedicated servers have (in the first 2 months) up to 300 regular players online. If you account for undedicated, changed settings (which makes them go under modded) and modded pvp servers, you have a pretty decent chunk of your community playing pvp.

Lets go with the absolute highest number of 32.000 players ever at A16 release.

The unmodded, unchanged dedicated pvp servers in europe (since somehow other continent servers dont show up for me...) are >300 players

so those are 1%. America+1% rest of the world+2%, modded settings+1%+modded servers&non dedicated+1%.

And this is the absolute lowest number. 6%. I think its WAY closer to ~20%.

Then spawn the same zombies in the same spots. And don't spawn the ones that caould not be there...

Those same spots may be seen. Windows, doors, holes in wall. It can change. You can bust a hole in a wall, see the zombie, leave, come back, it fails to respawn in that spot, because it can be seen.

What is weird is, sleeper volumes don't despawn until you are 30 meters away from the cube and then 30 seconds after that. Sounds like a bug, since 30m is a long distance.

*Flips a lever on the glasses*

There might be or there might not be. Madmole didn't promise anything.

Well after A17, all I can think of feature wise are the bandits and the water/boat thing if that hasn't been scrapped. Otherwise for beta, just bug fixes, balancing, and more zombie types would be nice(but idk if they are adding new ones in A17)

Here is one issue with that system.

Why can I not just attract the zombies and lead them out of the house?

I know the explanation was to prevent Pied Piper clearing of POIs.

However, previously the justification of forcing the kill to be in the sleeper volume was rationalized by at least you get loot to offset the risk and expense of resources in doing such.

Now we still can't do as any sane person would do and lead the zombies away because they won't count as kills to the volume, but we also don't gain the reward.

Just another thought on the change on loot factors and how it impacts Sleep Volume balance issues.

You can lead them out. That is what I will be doing. Almost all POIs have 5+ volumes, so you can't even tell what volume you are in. Obviously if you walk up some attic stairs into a different volume, kite back down into lower volume, back and forth, we don't need or want each volume despawning and respawning. You have to be 30 meters away from the volume edge for 30 seconds to despawn. Anything else is a bug.

Also i want spears. and a shield.

But that's all I can think of.

TFP, you guys are doing great!

Well.... I think that would be how things work in The walking Dead. Having to retrieve those cuties from a corpse can be painfully difficult if you are surrounded. And yet it might be ugly and, paraphrasing MM: unsexy for some. Doing point 1 would revert back those duplicating issues. Doing second one would bring back the "that Zed is indeed dead as I see the letter to pick all the arrows". So I say leave it as is as we cant hope to have 5 reusable stone arrows for the duration of the game. What I hope to see is arrows on terrain dissapearing after a while. Skyrim maintains then on terrain forever and it's ugly and affects performance bit by bit.

I dont know how your ui works so this is why im asking this question. Do you enable the zombie map icon when you are testing patterns?

No. I can watch anything I want in the editor scene view. I have tons of multicolored debugging lines that I can see grid updates, paths, obstacles hits, movement. Good tools are your friend.

Archived