Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

And your the one who is comical, the pvp player base is less than 1% of our customer base. Maybe its 40% of the vocal minority community, but its literally nothing, all our players are friends playing coop with friends or single player on private servers.

The comedic storytelling aside...

I doubt it is 1%. I think its closer to 20-30%.

Still a minority... but not as low as you think. Obviously I have nothing to go by other then the forums and the serverlist... so you might know stuff i dont... but 1% seems absurdly low. (even as a hyperboly)

Yes and no...I agree with them being more rare...sometimes you find 2-3 around a city.

But the design of selling items and buying better ones needs to be addressed.

Ouch

Just stuff and no items with quality.

Buying 100 of 7.62 because you missed the time and it’s just before horde night.

But not selling junk to have a 600 Sniper Rifle ( In A17 it will change anyway)

The issue is wasted animal spawns, imo.

But yeh, we need spoilage to counter the crates of food we stockpile.

I think if they have salt as a resource or refrigeration, then its a good idea. I believe basic survival tasks should eventually be mitigated to allow the player time to focus more on late game tasks.

Edit: So, simply the time you spend gathering food and water should be less as time goes on.

Why are you guys whining so much about MM's video? Because clearly everything new in the game was shown in his 40 minute video! Calm down, take a breath, think happy thoughts, eat some sugar. They already told us that they wont tell us Everything they did, because they do want some things to be a surprise! So just wait and see!

I heard sugar...!?

And your the one who is comical, the pvp player base is less than 1% of our customer base. Maybe its 40% of the vocal minority community, but its literally nothing, all our players are friends playing coop with friends or single player on private servers.

HEY now!

Look at the server list and population count on MP servers. Out of all MP servers I would say at LEAST 20% if not 30% of active players are playing on PvPvE or even specifically PvP servers. Co-op is definitely the majority but I wouldn't say PvPers are "less than 1%," that's just not a fair statement.

My biggest wish is to have a better control of the quantity of spawned cities and towns.

Once you reach the mobility point you always travel to the better loot places.

Less cities = more sense to loot the rest of a city near by.

After a point, your just looking for batteries, engines, gas and brass. All from cars. If you find enough traders then sometimes not even that. :)

Some interesting things to discuss.

-For Builders, I counted a ton of new blocks (Microwave, Oven, Fridge, Paintings, etc.). See new larger POI with outdoor satellite dishes.

-Revamped Skill system. It looks like they are trying something similar within traditional RPGs (think SPECIAL stat system in Fallout). See screenshot below (Perception Skill).

<images snipped>

Yea I noticed that the boards over the windows look like real plywood. I found that very cool and nice texture change. Also love the wainscotting and can't wait to see what other new textures have been added.

Also new lights - I saw a table lamp, new wall light, desk lamp, and lantern. The lantern looks like we might be able to pick up at some point and carry around. Probably not in game yet as I didn't see a "press e" option when MM moused over it. But it would be nice if it could be fixed to do that. Would love to have something besides a torch or candle to carry around that can be temp placed down.

I'm pretty sure I could destroy you in any game, I used to smash whole teams of people against me alone in quake and counter strike and was offered to be sponsored years back to travel and compete but I was wanting to make games so I declined. I do stupid stuff deliberately to make the videos entertaining so think what you want to think. I already proved the game can't kill me in my dead is dead video series I posted an alpha or two ago, and look at my kill 20 dog challenge video. After we shipped Gore (a pvp shooter) the best guy who was hands down the top player in the whole community challenged me and I smoked him 20 to 3.

Madmole:

I also used to go around the country for LAN tournaments (but for Descent II, a man's game, not the bunny hopping clickfest Counterstrike), and I also used to be very good.

But the bad news is MM, we got old. I know, I know, it sucks, but it's true. Now when I hop into a PvP game of any kind, I'm like Mr. Magoo (and if you know who that is, then you're also old)... sure, I bumble along and get some kills, but nowhere near my prior life's level of mayhem and destruction.

So what I'm hearing from you is though, that you and Bloom can have a 1v1 PvP game which of course will be streamed live, and the winner gets the steam key for the test branch going forward?

Well that's cheating and I see the problem...just have to figure a way that it can only be placed after an area is cleared and secured. And /or after all zombies are cleared.

That's not cheating it's like a wrench, if you have a nut that needs tightened, use a wrench.

So what I'm hearing from you is though, that you and Bloom can have a 1v1 PvP game which of course will be streamed live, and the winner gets the steam key for the test branch going forward?

While I am sure I would watch, I am not sure MM would go for it. Just because he has nothing to gain that way. Why if he wins would he get a steam key for the test branch. He could get one without having to do it. Gup, you have to make it interesting for both parties if you want them to go at it :D

Madmole:

I also used to go around the country for LAN tournaments (but for Descent II, a man's game, not the bunny hopping clickfest Counterstrike), and I also used to be very good.

But the bad news is MM, we got old. I know, I know, it sucks, but it's true. Now when I hop into a PvP game of any kind, I'm like Mr. Magoo (and if you know who that is, then you're also old)... sure, I bumble along and get some kills, but nowhere near my prior life's level of mayhem and destruction.

Lies! Dirty, Dirty, lies!!!!

We don't get old!

Did your Mom teach you to speak such fallacies?!

We are "Fooooreverrrrr youuuung!" :playful:

Would be a fun video to watch though ;)

I don't think there will be an A18. We'll probably do a beta update and go gold after that. That doesn't mean there won't be some content updates though.

I'm all for that! There is so much potential now for a global level game using the technology TFP have built. A part 2 or a prequel.

Prequel plot:

You were a friend of a scientist that told you that the Rabies virus has mutated and has become airborne in Africa (Governments are keeping it quite as they try to find a cure and killed you scientist friend.

-You have 7 months (weeks) to build a bunker for as many people as possible on a small salary (do you steal money, take a triple mortgage on you house?)

-You will need to live underground while the worst passes then try to save as much of civilization as you can! :)

Madmole:

And this is why I -still- play PvP games now.

Gotta keep those reactions sharp. :)

I've always thought that the sleeper respawn timer should just be the loot respawn timer. That way when the loot comes back so do the guards. Seems like it would solve the problem of zombies spawning in inhabited POI's because the loot respawn timer starts over whenever a player is in the vicinity. The only way sleepers would respawn in the POI is if all players left the chunk for the duration of the loot timer.

It would also give people more incentive to stealth loot a house as a trick on fellow server occupants so that when someone else comes by and kills all the zombies...the joke's on them.

I am very much for the sleepers being on a timer like the loot one. Also I am for putting down a claim block stopping sleeper spawns so you can actually use a POI for a base again in game. The way it is now just doesn't work well.

Archived