Alpha 16 Recipe Guide

So, I've got my spreadsheet out and gone through the recipes in A16, since some of them have changed since A15...

Firstly, let's look at the single-ingredient recipes (not counting water), showing the fullness and wellness gain for each one per unit of ingredient. These will be our baseline for recipe comparison. In each case, I've underlined the best values.

Blueberries

• Blueberries - 1 Fullness, 0 Wellness

Corn

• Ear of Corn - 1 Fullness, 0 Wellness
  • Corn on the Cob - 3 Fullness, 0.08 Wellness
  • Cornmeal - 2 Fullness, 0 Wellness
  • Corn Bread - 5 Fullness, 0.4 Wellness

Egg

• Egg - 3 Fullness, 0 Wellness (40% chance of food poisoning)
  • Boiled Egg - 4 Fullness, 0.32 Wellness

Meat

• Raw Meat - 10 Fullness, 0 Wellness (40% chance of food poisoning)
  • Boiled Meat - 8 Fullness, 0.675 Wellness
  • Charred Meat - 10 Fullness, 0.65 Wellness
  • Grilled Meat - 8 Fullness, 0.675 Wellness

Mushroom

• Mushroom - 5 Fullness, 0 Wellness

Potato

• Potato - 2 Fullness, 0 Wellness
  • Baked Potato - 4 Fullness, 0 Wellness

This is mostly as expected - boil your eggs, bake your potatoes, and make corn bread if you can spare the water jars (if you can't spare the jars, make corn on the cob instead).

The meat values are a slight surprise, though. For fullness you're actually better off simply charring the meat than grilling it, and there's such a small difference in wellness from the two that charring probably wins out overall too unless you're desperately thirsty (because charred meat makes you even thirstier).

However, the surprises are in the more complex recipes. For each of these I've added up the total fullness and wellness of the ingredients (assuming you prepared them in an optimal manner) and compared it to the fullness and wellness gains from the cooked product. In this case I've underlined any positive scores (i.e. where preparing the recipe gives you more than just preparing the ingredients individually).

• Bacon and Eggs - -3 Fullness, -0.315 Wellness
  • Blueberry Pie - +0 Fullness, +0.08 Wellness
  • Meat Stew - -35 Fullness, +0.645 Wellness
  • Vegetable Stew - -49 Fullness, -1.5 Wellness

As you can see, none of the complex recipes give you more fullness than simply preparing the ingredients separately, and the veggie stew gives you significantly less wellness too. Blueberry pie gives you marginally more wellness than its ingredients for the same fullness, and meat stew gives you more wellness at the cost of a lot of fullness.

TL;DR

Putting all this together, here's my advice for what to do with each ingredient (assuming you don't want to cook a variety of recipes for roleplaying purposes):

• Blueberries - If you were going to be making corn bread anyway, make blueberry pie instead. Otherwise simply eat them raw.
  • Corn - If you can spare the jars, make corn bread out of it (or blueberry pie if you have the ingredients). If you can't spare the jars, just make corn on the cob.
  • Eggs - If you have corn and blueberries, then make blueberry pie, since boiling the eggs will use up a jar anyway. If you don't have those, just boil them.
  • Meat - Just char it. If you're really short of meat and also short on jars but have plenty of eggs, you might want to make bacon and eggs. It's less good than simply charring the meat and boiling the eggs, but it's a way to eat the eggs without needing jars.
  • Mushrooms - Just eat them raw.
  • Potatoes - Bake them.

Cornbread and blueberry pie have the benefit of being travel-safe foods, along with canned foods, since they are scentless. Yes, not present in A16, but you may as well stick with good habits.

The more complex recipes have the added advantage of just simply saving you time and fuel. If you're too busy to chew, slamming down a meat or veggie stew will do the job quickly and you can get on with being too busy.

We just added this to can our meat on the fly and gives rotting flesh a new purpose. Since benefit of canned dog food is pretty low but will keep you alive you still need water to offset the dehydration. Canned pears also help with dehydration

<recipe name="canBeef" count="1" scrapable="False">

<ingredient name="canEmpty" count="1"/>

<ingredient name="rawMeat" count="1"/>

</recipe>

<recipe name="canDogfood" count="1" scrapable="False">

<ingredient name="rottingFlesh" count="1"/>

</recipe>

<recipe name="canPears" count="1" scrapable="False">

<ingredient name="foodYuccaFruit" count="1"/>

</recipe>

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the numbers were PER 1 meat.

Still, the more complex recipes give Wellness faster, because they have less fullness.

Right now, getting meat is not an issue so it's grilled meat all the way. It's more wellness per fullness. (you should definitely add this number to each food)

Once I'm set up, I care more about wellness, and look for foods with the most wellness gain while giving LEAST fullness, so I can eat more of it. I think currently those are meat stew, and blueberry pie to use up those eggs too.

• 11 months later...

Meat

• Raw Meat - 10 Fullness, 0 Wellness (40% chance of food poisoning)
  • Boiled Meat - 8 Fullness, 0.675 Wellness
  • Charred Meat - 10 Fullness, 0.65 Wellness
  • Grilled Meat - 8 Fullness, 0.675 Wellness

Meat - Just char it. If you're really short of meat and also short on jars but have plenty of eggs, you might want to make bacon and eggs. It's less good than simply charring the meat and boiling the eggs, but it's a way to eat the eggs without needing jars.

I think you forgot to take the amount used in all of the recipes into account or you did the math wrong. Here are the real stats for each piece of meat along with its wiki page link that will show you other details.

https://7daystodie.gamepedia.com/Grilled_Meat

Consumption Effects

Effect on Fullness +16

Effect on Hydration -3

Effect on Wellness +1.35

https://7daystodie.gamepedia.com/Boiled_Meat

Consumption Effects

Effect on Fullness +12

Effect on Wellness +0.675

https://7daystodie.gamepedia.com/Charred_Meat

Consumption Effects

Effect on Fullness +10

Effect on Hydration -5

Effect on Wellness +0.65

Grilled meat uses 2 raw meat in the recipe while the others listed use 1 meat and that is somewhat important because it changes the values per meat. If you split the grilled meat benefits in half (because it uses 2 meat) you get 8 fullness and 0.675 wellness and that means that grilled meat is the least filling out of them all. Boiled meat gives the same wellness per meat that grilled meat does but uses a jar (not a big deal for some) and it gives more fullness per meat (12 is bigger then 8). That being said if you have enough tea you may prefer the grilled meat since it makes you more thirsty and being able to drink more tea gives you more wellness overall. Anyway, it kinda depends on what you have, what you are care more about (wellness/fullness) and if you care about losing the jars. I dono if you got anything else wrong on the list (dont want to lookup every item listed) but I just noticed that 1 and figured you would want to know.

Stop necoing post. Scent isn't not even currently relevant.

Perhaps you should tell Google to stop linking here as it was 1 of the top results when I searched. Besides, the thread is more relevant than your pointless post and by the way you made a few mistakes in your post as well. You meant to say sense instead of sent, necroing instead of necoing, and isn't is an abbreviation (means a shortend version of a word or phrase) of "is not". Therefore you just said I should stop necoing post scent is not not even currently relevant and there were other mistakes as well but I will fix it for you below and make your post more legible overall.

Stop necroing the post sense it isn't even currently relevant.

I love when people correct other people's English and make mistakes themselves.

The only mistakes I saw in my post are the ones I took from his post. I even tried installing Grammarly and it's not showing any major mistakes (1 missing comma after by the way and 1 hyphen neither of which is really needed for you to understand the post anyway) and I don't care that much about it as long as it is legible enough that you can understand it easily. I do not care if it is 100% correctly written as long as it is easy to understand and I have never stated otherwise. However, I had to read the post they made twice to understand what it was trying to say and the mistakes were cringeworthy even for me.

The only mistakes I saw in my post are the ones I took from his post. I even tried installing Grammarly and it's not showing any major mistakes (1 missing comma after by the way and 1 hyphen neither of which is really needed for you to understand the post anyway) and I don't care that much about it as long as it is legible enough that you can understand it easily. I do not care if it is 100% correctly written as long as it is easy to understand and I have never stated otherwise. However, I had to read the post they made twice to understand what it was trying to say and the mistakes were cringeworthy even for me.

Just in case you were curious about what mistake you made, since is the word you were looking for. "I sense something wrong." or "Sight is the most important sense in my opinion." are examples of the correct use of sense.

Not that it really matters, I guess.

Stop necoing post. Scent isn't not even currently relevant.

Perhaps you should tell Google to stop linking here as it was 1 of the top results when I searched. Besides, the thread is more relevant than your pointless post and by the way you made a few mistakes in your post as well. You meant to say sense instead of sent, necroing instead of necoing, and isn't is an abbreviation (means a shortend version of a word or phrase) of "is not". Therefore you just said I should stop necoing post scent is not not even currently relevant and there were other mistakes as well but I will fix it for you below and make your post more legible overall.

Stop necroing the post sense it isn't even currently relevant.

Mistakes

1) Sydious playing junior moderator and telling someone else what to do or not do instead of just reporting the post.

2) Sydious thinking this is a necroed post. If the first post is relevant to the current alpha then it is fair game. There shouldn't be anything outdated in this thread as we are all still playing A16. its not Lee's fault you can go back a year and still find relevant material....

3) Lee correcting someone on their spelling and grammar as that is blatantly against forum rules. If you get the gist of the message then forgive the packaging.

4) Lee incorrectly correcting Sydious since he correctly spelled "scent" as in what food can or cannot be smelled. In A16 scent has been disabled so it isn't relevant to recipes. I'm giving Sydious the benefit of the doubt on this and believe his spelling errors were less than accused. I believe the correct rendition would be:

Stop necroing posts. Scent isn't even currently relevant.

In this case he just forgot an "r" and an "s" and left in an extra "not". Highly forgivable.

But anyway, back to topic. This thread is fine. Carry on.

Archived