True Survival

Spider

This mod changed it all!

I have started playing this mod because I felt the progression started to get weird in 7 days. I like how the progression is a lot slower now. The best part is that I KNOW I only scratched the surface! There are many good ideas that will undoubtedly be added later on in the real game!

I like the new perks, but I still find it quite hard what is needed to craft, or what perks provide what recipe.

For example, I want to animal hide armor, but I do not know how!

At other times you want to cook something, but it says it is not possible. It is not always easy to know what skill, perk or cooking item is missing.

Anyhow this mod is still awesome, even if crazy chickens and rabbits roars like grizzlies!

If you want to view for yourself, just come and view my friends and I play on Youtube on my 7 days: true Survival playlist!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTtq4jTIdoHyiAjLUhA9HDg

I'm so mad that my PSU is fried right now, because if it weren't I would be playing the absolute ♥♥♥♥ out of this mod right now.

FlowerChild (the creator of such mods as Minecraft's Better Than Wolves) made a similar, albeit much simpler, hardcore survival mod a few years ago and I loved it to death, sadly he decided that the mod was no longer necessary as the vanilla game's difficulty had reached about the same as the mod's, though I disagree.

Keep up the awesome work, mate!

@Xamllew

The first mod I played was "Better Than Giant Bees". To be honest if he never made his mod i would have never made mine. I used his mod to learn to mod. He commented out every line he changed, it was so helpful in learning how the xml's worked. I tried to do that also but eventually it just got to be to many changes and too much work to keep all the comments updated. And if you traced this mod way way way back it started as his mod and I have been adding and changing things ever since to make the game more challenging.

@sphereil

I am going to try to set my mod up to run off your program. I'll let you know if i need any help getting it going.

Edited by Spider (see edit history)

I am going to try to set my mod up to run off your program. I'll let you know if i need any help getting it going.

FYI the mod is already in the default configs under the 7days2mod heading. This is the Fork in my org, so if you wanted to have a go at adding it directly from your source repo have a look at the config here:

https://github.com/SphereII/7D2DConfig/blob/master/7Days2Mod.xml

You can then just use the open URL button in the launcher and point to your own config file

Best Server Setting to use for balance?

Hello, thank you for this amazing mod. I have quick question for you. What is the best server setting to use with this mod regarding loot, airdrop, feral, and spawn rate?

In addition, how well does the lethal head shot scale with the difficulty level? if I set it on insane, will the zombie still die to a couple of well placed head shots?

Thank you again for your amazing work!

Suggested Game settings

Loot - 100%

Loot Respawn 80-100 days

Day - 60 min

No Feral setting

Zombie Run - Walk/Run

Drop on death - All

Enemy Memory - 90

Enemy Spawn - As high as your server can handle

Air Drop - 720 hrs

Difficulty - 3 (mod was designed on "3" so changing this will change weapon balance and zombie balance. You can up it but it will take longer to kill Zombies and your weapons will do less damage)

OK we will be moving to the new 7D2D Mod Launcher. I will be doing the work next week when I get time. I will remove the Mod download from Envul and the only way to get it will be through the launcher. Also I will be investigating SDX to see if I want to add anything. The 1st thing I will try and integrate is the SDX Mod Hal made for me, Zombies run in the dark, any dark. So if its day time and you walk into a building as soon as the zombies get into the shade they will start running(like the zombies from I am Legend). If any one else knows of any cool SDX mods I should look into post them with a link if possible and I will check them out.

OK we will be moving to the new 7D2D Mod Launcher. I will be doing the work next week when I get time. I will remove the Mod download from Envul and the only way to get it will be through the launcher. Also I will be investigating SDX to see if I want to add anything. The 1st thing I will try and integrate is the SDX Mod Hal made for me, Zombies run in the dark, any dark. So if its day time and you walk into a building as soon as the zombies get into the shade they will start running(like the zombies from I am Legend). If any one else knows of any cool SDX mods I should look into post them with a link if possible and I will check them out.

stallionsden started a great thread over in the SDX Tool which tries to list a bunch of SDX mods. You can find it here.

Were you thinking about maintaining two mods? One purely XML / icons vs SDX add-ons? I think SDX would violate EAC, so if anyone is currently playing on an EAC-protected server, they would not be able to use the SDX version.

I'll look into it and see what I can find for you. Thanks for the support for the 7D2D Mod Launcher! I hope it helps you keep crafting this wicked mod.

-SphereII

I forgot about EAC. hmmmmm I guess I would have to have 2 versions.

One thing we could do is have a single download link for the True Surival + SDX.

For the XML / icons only mod, you could have that first link to download, then perhaps a separate one that replaces the DLL with the original, and hopefully brings it back inline with EAC, without breaking anything. SDX's FrontEnd adds XML snippets inside of your XML files, but without the DLL, they may not do anything.

I can play with that later today, and see what I can find.

It'd be nice if we could avoid having you to maintain two different sets of XMLs for your mod.

-SphereII

@sphereii-

Second question would be can you password the download?

When A15 drops Ill start updating the mod and use my server for testing. I do not release my mod to the public until its finished and updated with all the new stuff. So if I made another download for TrueSurvivalA15WIP could I restrict who can download it? Maybe by a password that I can give out to my testers?

The launcher uses an xml configuration file to display and make the mod available. Right now, StompyNZ and I are updating a default list to give people a taste of what is available.

You could make your own xml config and choose not share it until it's done.

-SphereII

A major benefit of SDX might just be the ability to put in custom assets for the cool features you've already had in game for a long time. Some of the SDX mods I currently use will be in the vanilla game in one form or another come A15. Matite's Drawbridge, three08's Prison Door, three08's Secure Storage Containers, three08's Dynamic Sign, pjc21's Signs

There are a lot of cool SDX mods, but the multiplayer compatibility of their scripts is usually the first thing you have to check before you get too excited.

Hal's Chicken Mod is pretty neat. I don't believe it is currently compatible with multiplayer, but Hal said he might work on it for A15. As it is configured it isn't in line with your mods difficultly, but it is highly customizable. Definitely one to keep tabs on.

Carlzilla's Smart Containers is the best quality of life mod ever, it removes the tedium of storing everything away once you get back to your base after a loot run. Sadly, it is also not currently compatible with multiplayer. If this ever becomes multiplayer compatible I can't imagine anyone playing without it. Once you've created custom containers and configured the mod for your items and blocks the power of his script really starts to shine. I warn you though, do not test it in singleplayer too much because you will never want to play without it again.

You could enlist someone to create a SDX mod to finally destroy the hopes and dreams of the mole people hiding underground.

Maybe they could hook into something like the code that determines if rain or snow should fall on a block. If the weather can't hit a workstation maybe it is deactivated or causes it to emit a new asphyxiation buff similar to the hardcoded AOE warming buff from the campfires. No clue if any of that is remotely possible, someone might be able to come up with something that works though.

Thanks for

Spider,

Thank you so much for the quick response. Your mod is so awesome that me and my coworkers have rented a server in China, where we work, just so we can play this mod!

I have another question for you, is there anything we can do to increase or create more death penalty? As much as we try, we can't seem to stop constantly relying on the "drop a bedroll before a fight" cheese where you just keep dying.

Thanks again for all your work on this mod!

-O

Suggested Game settings

Loot - 100%

Loot Respawn 80-100 days

Day - 60 min

No Feral setting

Zombie Run - Walk/Run

Drop on death - All

Enemy Memory - 90

Enemy Spawn - As high as your server can handle

Air Drop - 720 hrs

Difficulty - 3 (mod was designed on "3" so changing this will change weapon balance and zombie balance. You can up it but it will take longer to kill Zombies and your weapons will do less damage)

OK, so I've played this mod enough to share my first impressions. I like the depth and difficulty, and I have great hopes for the mod development when you implement SDX. I think I'm staying.

Professions: I've only played as a Farmer, and got a little dissapointed. I chose it for farming and auto crossbow, but farming is rather frustrating and I'm using a scoped crossbow, and I don't feel the need for auto. Next time I think I choose an Engeneer.

The vanilla farming was too easy and OP, and your mod addresses it in the right direction (crops protection, seed nursery, farmer profession). If only you could implement watering. But I don't like the "hit it to harvest" mechanic, because no matter how you aim, you sometimes hit the seedling next to your target. I've destroyed much too many of my crops this way or when moving carelessly around the crops. Now I tend my garden as if it is a minefield and I'm getting better at it. For some crops (aloe?) you can't tell if the plant is ready to be harvested or not, last stage should always be distinctive. I like the apple harvesting mechanic.

And the biggest reason against farming is the abundance of wild growing crops (carrots, wheat, corn). I prefer to ride half the map for the desert to gather some aloe and not to spend all that effort for farming. So now I'm growing only coffee. But I haven't unlocked most cooking recipes yet, so maybe I'll need other crops in the future.

Abundance of carrots and cacti totally covers your hunger/thirst needs. I suggest adding -0.05 wellnes to cacti and carrots so you don't throw away the canned food immediately. But the juice is OK. And the future Food Overhaul is gonna be a real solution.

Magolis prefabs are awesome. I can't wait to explore them all.

Radiated sub biomes make you watch your step. Too bad hazmat clothes doesn't protect against it.

Weapon modification sounds great, though I haven't unlocked it yet. The crossbow is now assembled like the rest fire guns and I love it. But it took me an eternity to find a 'pistol parts' item for the crossbow (I was lvl 76 when I finally found it). Either it is my bad luck or it is one of the rarest gun parts to find. Another rare item is 'hub caps' which is needed for steam generators (for workbenches). I think it is 'automotive' loot group, but I've harvested dozens of cars and have found none there.

Zombies overhaul is refreshing, no more standard types. All walk types are mixed, some run at daytime. But do Z-bears run faster than the player? It is unavoidable death then, and a bad game design. A player must have a chance. Z-rabbits and chickens are so frightening :) I know I can kill them, but I prefer to run.

Zombie looting mechanic is great, and not so immersion breaking as Valmar's bags.

The mod description says mines don't instantly kill you, but they do. Killed me twice (I had 120+ health) and another player (140+ health). BTW, is there a way to disable the new "backpack dissapearing timer" mechanic?

Fishing is fun, but not currently needed (too much food around), so you spend points for the perk only to gather enough fish for seed nursery.

Hygiene system is very well made.

Scratches, bites and other wound/medical system is awesome and a big step in the right direction.

Steel is insanely expensive, but I think it should stay so. Late game stuff.

Crafting overall is deeper than vanilla, like all the new workstations (haven't assembled them all yet though). Love the way you assemble engines.

All my old base designs are not worth anything here. I have 2000+ hours in 7dtd, but now I'm racking my brain to design a base safe from both zeds and players. I know I can just dig to bedrock, but I know this mod was designed against it, so I build on the surface. But please don't make the stone too hard to dig through, we need the ability to mine resourses.

All the other countless things in your mod is awesome (or look promising as I haven't tried them yet). Thank you for this refreshing experience. There are other great mods, but they lack the difficulty for us veterans. Further tweaking and balancing needed, and I hope my feedback is helpful. My biggest concerns currently are carrots/cacti overpowerness and Z-bears speed. And I'd love a more friendly farming. Can't wait for the announced Food Overhaul.

I have six death currently:

- A fat guy puked at me when I was harvesting a car. No big deal I thought, I can dodge it. But his puke hit the car... Lesson learned :)

- Died to mines twice.

- Three deaths from bears (two z-bears and once I ran right into the paws of a normal bear)

Questions: any difference in damage between normal crossbow/scoped/auto? Does radiation do any damage to zombies?

Edited by unlike them (see edit history)

@orumaeiman-

No Problem. Yes I have thought of this before. I have suggested in the past to remove the bed respawn so players can not do what you speak of. I was told that would be to hard for new players :p. Maybe when I get into SDX I can find a better solution. But if you want a quick fix remove the recipe for Sleeping Bags fro your game.

@unlike them-

Wow thanks for the feed back. I'll try and run through these quick.

The Auto Crossbow is the Farmers end game weapon. I could make it with a scope.

Aloe growth stages are being put in vanilla in A15 so this will fix its self. Farming is like it is because it was the only way I could find to make Crop Trampling work. Maybe I can find something better with SDX

Yes the Mod needs all the Food and water loot lowered. The Cacti will drop different amounts of fruit also. The small one will drop 1 fruit the middle one will drop 2 and the large cacti will drop 3.

The Zombie Bear has vanilla stats I think. But they are the most dangerous, they hit the hardest and run as fast as a Feral(not as fast as a player)

Yes they changed the explosive code in one of the A14 patches and now I can not adjust them. So I think they are all the same. Makes me mad too I spent a few hours tweaking all the mines and rockets just right. They are changing them again in A15 so Im waiting to see if they give more control back.

Yes I plan on changing the dropped backpack code. I have not tested it yet but I am going to try and make it turn into a loot container like it used to after the timer runs out.

I have been doing this a while now and the one things that pisses me off the most is spending 10-20 hours modding, implementing and testing something just for it to be obsolete in the next update. I was working on new rwg but then TFP decided they would be tweaking it in A15 so I started on Food then they decided to do some changes there so I moved to Modular Armor then they say they are adding a bunch more clothes. A15 started as Raiders and NPC's now it seems its more RWG and Prefabs so i don't know whats safe to work on without wasting my time. So for now until I can be more sure about whats getting changed in A15 Im putting off implementing anything else until A15. Ill still do bug fixes and tweaks but no new stuff until A15, I just don't want to have to do the same work twice. I will still be planing it all out. I find it much easier to implement all the changes after they have been thoroughly thought out.

Thanks for posting your feed back

Ore By Biomoe

• Snow = Iron, Coal, Lead, Gravel
  • Forest = Iron, Coal, Lead, Copper and Gravel
  • Pine Forest = Iron, Coal, Copper and Gravel
  • Plains = Lead, Copper and Gravel
  • Desert = Oil, Coal, Copper and Gravel
  • Wasteland = Iron, Coal, Lead and Gravel
  • Burnt Forest = Iron, Coal, Lead and Gravel

Iron Ore doesn't spawn in Maple Forest, the mod discription must be wrong.

That is my version of the bag drop mod. It is there for 3 reasons.

#1 You can loot everything you kill unlike vanilla(cant do that with dead zombie bodies)

#2 It helps with FPS(blocks take less work than dead zombie bodys)

#3 Increases active zombie count(dead zombie bodies count toward max zombie count)

I would not recommend removing it and its not that easy to undo. You would have to go and assign all the zombies loot groups and fix their drop on death code. What is the problem with it? Why dont you like it? I have never had someone not like that usually its the one everyone loves the most.

Edited by Spider (see edit history)