True Survival

Spider

Hey Spider, great mod. Two friends and I have been playing co-op for 4 days now and are loving it. Quality work and fun!

Thanks and A15 will be even better. I have a completely new and original food system going in, handcrafted custom RWG cities and towns and Sorrowthief is adding his genius to the mix to make an immersive story line for each profession that will interact with the rwg POI’s in a way that has not even been tried before. It will give the MOD a real RPG aspect and make the world map feel lived in. Big things are coming!

Hi Spider,

Could you perhaps explain how the fishing works in your mod? Because I've crafted a fishing rod, and I've dug up a worm from the ground, but I don't have a clue how to use them together to fish.. Thanks!

IF you have a Fishing Pole and Worms in your inventory just click on any natural water block, it uses 2 worms per cast. FYI you can over fish a body of water and have to wait to fish there again and you cannot fish in a player placed water block.

Thanks for the answer, but I still can't get it to work :( Do you need to have the fishing pole equiped? Basically nothing happens when I right (or left) click a water block with the worms in my inventory and my fishing pole equipped.

A14.7 is out btw :)

Thanks for the answer, but I still can't get it to work :( Do you need to have the fishing pole equiped? Basically nothing happens when I right (or left) click a water block with the worms in my inventory and my fishing pole equipped.

I could not get fishing to work either. If I only had 1 worm on my belt, I got the "not enough resources to upgrade sound" and the little icon in the bottom right with a worm and a red X through it. If I had 20 worms on my belt, it did not work at all as DaVegaNL said.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, question: How do you level in this mod? You know with Vanilla and the other mods it's crafting and killing zeds. Here, I can't tell. I am level 4 on day 5 and I'm scratching my head on how to make progress. Any hints?

You level the same as normal. Getting xp for crafting and killing. Its just not like vanilla where you can be level 10 in an hour. My mod slows you down so progression feels more like an accomplishment and not a reward for clicking the mouse.

"Modded for more challenging survival combined with a steady slow progression in building & crafting. "

You do use the skill points different, Here you buy recipes with skill points. Like a tech tree

Is there is any way to upgrade from rScrapIronLogSpike5 to PoisonTip spikes?

It seem none of the upgrade tools include VenomPoison in the allowed upgrade items property and/or VenomPoison doesn't include a repair action for itself like cobblestones or concreteMix do.

Is there is any way to upgrade from rScrapIronLogSpike5 to PoisonTip spikes?

It seem none of the upgrade tools include VenomPoison in the allowed upgrade items property and/or VenomPoison doesn't include a repair action for itself like cobblestones or concreteMix do.

Your right looks like i forgot to add it to the tools. Ill put it on the list to be fixed for a15. For now you can just put it on the tools, sounds like you know your way around the xmls. If you need any help doing it let me know and ill go into more detail. Thanks for the reporting the bug.

***O and incase anyone wanted to know whats planed for A15***

-Nuts and Bolts from Scrap/Steel Blocks

-More survival uses for animal harvested items ex:Bones/Antlers for fertilizer, arrow heads, Soup, fish hooks. Hooves for glue. Tendons for high strength cords and Suture thread. Bladders for canteens. You wouldn’t get everything every time sometimes things are damaged when killing the animal.

-stitches- a bleeding wound that would requier stitches and rest

-Zombies run inside? not sure if i can do this

-Nutrition System - maybe 3 needed Vitamins that would encourage a more diverse diet. It would be more a long-term buff like the Hygiene system but even longer. So if you get to day 100 and all you have eaten is Baked Potato’s the whole time your health might not be in the best shape.

-Over Eating Buff -would only punish you if you gorged yourself on a lot of wellness food in a short time.

-Refillable Animal Bladder Canteen - would hold more water than a stack of water jars and could be refilled. As you drink from it it would get less and less water until you had an Empty Skin. It would only hold water and would save space in you inventory because it does not use Jars.

-Adjust Prefab spawning from Combo Pack to improve FPS

-Set XP for Workstations

-Lower Taza drop rate

-Lower Ammo drop rate

-New Pistol upgrade Automatic Pistol / only normal bullets would go in it?

-New lootable Sport Level Crossbow?

-Katana/Sword?(use machete mesh but improved range and stats, better dismemberment. condition goes down a little quicker. they won’t break but just get dull and not cut. Then you will have to sharpen them.)

-Adjust wood gathered from trees

-More Quest(suggestions?)

-Cannibalism Buff and Items?(https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?38599-Cannibalism&highlight=Cannibalism)

-Rain Barrel / lower finding water in loot

-Increase Skill Info window size

-Add easy fishing pole

-Change learning Professions from Books to Skill Points

-Change Seed Nurserys Turd to fertilizer and make a few different ways to make it.

-Add Tools to player backpack

-Add Venom Poison to tools

-modular Armor (change out parts for different effects)

-Removing bullets from yourself

*Added*

-A Doctor Shot that instant kills zombies

-Remove electric hum sounds from all blocks

-New UI - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?42922-SMX-By-Sirillion

-New Cooking System (idea taken from Project Zomboid) Nearly all foods will be able to be combined with all other foods up to a combination of 4 items. Different combinations depending on the cooking utensil used. A bonus of +1 stat will be given for each combination. ie: 2 items get +1 for each/ 3 items get +2 for each/ 4 items get +3 for each. Some of the new food dishes will be - Fruit Salads(player crafted), Sandwiches(player crafted), Kabobs(stick),Stir-fry(pan) and Glazed Meats(pan). This will make having more variety in what you cook give you a bonus.

-Check Blunderbuss ammo Scrap

-Check Steel Tools Scrap

-Add new Item "Scrap Steel". Make all Steel items scrap to it.

-Stone Drill for mining

- Add nails to tools

-Tutorial Quest -How to kill zombies/How to Dry Leather/How to gather Scrap from world Blocks/

*This is my list of things to do for the mod for A15. Feel free to give your opinion on any of it. Where you see the "?" I am asking for your thoughts on it. Please let me know If you like the idea or not.

Edited by Spider (see edit history)

Spider your mod looks interesting thanks for making it. I have two questions. Does it work for 14.5 and the added zombies are they new looking zombies or new zombie behavior? I've been looking for a mod that slows the game down this mod looks like it may be what we're looking for.

@Fantical_Meat

1)Mod works on 14.6( might work on 14.5 not sure)

2)There are 7 different walk types for zombies in the game. What I have done is instead of each zombie model having one walk type i have duplicated each zombie model 7 times and given each a different walk type and each has different movement speeds. The result is you can no longer know the movements of a zombie by just their looks and when in a horde or being kited they do not group up by their models. ie: all the nurses walking together all the fat guys walking together and so on. With my way fighting hordes and kiting is more chaos and less organized.

Edited by Spider (see edit history)

Hi Spider, is there any news on your mod merging with Sorrowthief's story mod?

I'm asking because a) I am interested in a story mod for ages and b) the True Survival mod has its drab stretches. When all you have is a stone axe, all trees in sight have been felled, the wider area is explored (within reasonable return time), all POIs in that area looted, and you still need 6 levels to get to a stage were you can start iron forging.

The only thing left to do is clubbing zombies with a wood club (preferably on asphalt for the stamina buff) but even that gets a little drab after some time. So I wonder if this void can be filled with some storyline quests.

Unfortunately Sorrowthief has informed me that he will not be able to help with updating the mod to A15. So its just me again :(. But adding story line quest is still planed it just might take me a little longer to do it all by my self. Ya the leveling is not what I envisioned its just what I could do with the half functioning leveling code. Hopefully all the xml leveling code works in A15. I will be tweaking the Skill Tree so if you have suggestions please let me know. Like if something should be unlocked at an earlier level or if it is locked behind something it shouldn't be. I'm hoping with the addition of the sleepers, npc's and special zombies it will not have those voids in playing.

P.S. Offer is still open to those that would like to be part of the team to create the True Survival Mod

P.S. Offer is still open to those that would like to be part of the team to create the True Survival Mod

Hey Spider, depends on how things go with my job hunt, but I could be interested in helping out with a15 with you.

I'll have a good play though of the mod as it is now and get a feel for how it all works next week.

I am also testing at the moment. So far day 23, level 26, Engineer, SP.

I think mostly it's good. The thing that I'd change, given my current experience with the mod is making iron club and spiked club recipes cheaper. For 20 days or so I've been running around with a wooden club. Mostly because scrap iron is so hard to come by, I don't want to waste it on a club. Also I don't want to spend my hard earned skill points on clubs.

I finally made it to Iron Processing during day 22 and now have a full set of engineer tools. Yieehaaa! I have to say though, I am kind of disappointed by the iron ore yield. Not using a stone axe to grind down those 25k (or 2.5k?) hitpoints pip by pip on a single iron ore block...okay. Absolutely at your side here. But even with the proper tools the yield is so low, I don't know if I can build a proper fort with it. An entire iron ore block basically comes down to one forged iron. The amount of tunnels I'd have to dig to get an even decent amount of iron.... Okay, that's my first impression, maybe it'll change later on but at the moment I think the yield can easily be doubled without making the game easy. There's a difference between difficulty and grinding.

Otherwise I am working on those story texts. I am trying to give each profession three different background stories.

@Zemekis

For Scrap Iron you can break metal Chairs, Office Chairs and when you make or find a wrench it will harvest even more items from them. Any metal items you find early game you can scrap like Candy Tins and Empty Tin Cans, also once you have a wrench scrap is every where. Stove, Fridges, Tables, Desk, Cars, Shelves, Air Conditioners, Doors just about anything made of metal will give you a little scrap for breaking it and more for using a tool to harvest it. Nails are what will be the thing to look for until you can make them.

There is a perk that gives you higher resource yield from mining I believe but we can always look at balancing it. The Profession Stories sound great, when you get a couple done send them to me and ill take a look. Ill make sure its all doable.

@StompyNZ

That would be awesome man! Let me know what you would be interested in working on.

That would be awesome man! Let me know what you would be interested in working on.

Up to day 11 on my playthrough, still working towards lvl 20 for the iron forging perks ;) I also need to grind some science skill ;)

The desert is still the best place to spawn it seems as you have endless food and drink supplies with minimal effort :)

I'd probably be most interested in the entities/spawner options and rwg tweaks, but happy to work on anything.

Since Bandits have been dropped from a15 vanilla I'll probably hold off on doing my own mod as the story relies heavily on bandits and sleepers and an improved spawn system.

• 2 weeks later...
Ya i think someone mentioned the Blunderbuss ammo before. If I'm not mistaken the Steel Tools have the correct amount of scrap its just a lot because it takes a lot of iron to make steel. I'll put it on the list to look over. Thanks

yeah I figured that, but maybe scrapping it to steel could be an option ;)

*IDEA*

What do you think about dropping Tool Crafting and making separate skills for Stone crafting, Iron Crafting and Steel Crafting. Then I could make it so you could not get XP from mass producing stone axes at level 50. Also could do the Same for Weapon Crafting separating Ammo Crafting, Fetching and Explosives.What you think?

*Another IDEA*

I hate that people dig bases at bed rock and are safe. People just would not really be able to do that. So. How about i make Stone under ground only mine able with explosives and Steel Tools?

- - - Updated - - -

yeah I figured that, but maybe scrapping it to steel could be an option ;)

Yes you are right we need a Scrap Steel Item. Good call. Added it to the list

Don't people build at bedrock cause it safe from glitch cheaters? If glitch cheating is fixed, then people won't have to go to bedrock.

Glitch Cheat: You dig 2 tiles under a base, cram yourself into a 1 tile space under the base,logout, login and now you instantly teleported to the top of the base structure. You cannot dig thru bedrock so its safe from glitch cheaters.

No they build at bed rock because its completely safe from everything. IMO it is unrealistic and completely ruins the point of the game to survive in a world filled with flesh eating zombies. Now end game once you have Steel Tools, Stone Drills, electricity and are producing a lot of gas I can see someone digging down(but it should take a lot of resources and time) but as it stands now most players craft a stone axe and immediately start digging underground to be safe at night from the zombies. I would like for player to actually have to play the game for awhile before they are completely safe. I mean whats the point of the game if you can dig a hole in an hour of game play and win the game?