Medieval Times?

Valmar

Stompy has a lot of renumbering to do in Hals. Lol. Blocks were removed, IDs changed. Lots of big things. Can be salvaged I believe, though. The worse part is my modded blocks. Theres no way you can copy-paste them at the end of the blocks.xml anymore. The blocks.xml has a limit of how many IDs you can use and A14 adds a lot of new blocks so the leeway we have on how much free room we have has been greatly effected. I'll have to remove some IDs (street signs, cars, electric lights are all expands) from the blocks.xml to make everything fit. Not a big deal for the mod itself since it wouldn't use these blocks anyway, being medieval and all, but will make sharing it for building purposes more annoying.

My guess is by the time you're ready for release, real mod support may be closer and having to swap out blocks for different mods won't be that troublesome. The new nav is pretty big, and plenty of biomes.... not sure if you've seen the full map:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?39142-Navezgane-Fullmap&p=407801#post407801

...but even thought it's technically larger than the old NAV, the entire bottom 20% is rad zone, so it's kinda useless, but could still be used for your mod.

Stompy has a lot of renumbering to do in Hals. Lol. Blocks were removed, IDs changed. Lots of big things. Can be salvaged I believe, though. The worse part is my modded blocks. Theres no way you can copy-paste them at the end of the blocks.xml anymore. The blocks.xml has a limit of how many IDs you can use and A14 adds a lot of new blocks so the leeway we have on how much free room we have has been greatly effected. I'll have to remove some IDs (street signs, cars, electric lights are all expands) from the blocks.xml to make everything fit. Not a big deal for the mod itself since it wouldn't use these blocks anyway, being medieval and all, but will make sharing it for building purposes more annoying.

Another thread answered the blocks now go upto 4095 the player hadnt tested items yet. However one could do the gruesome task of outting the blocks in numerical order again not here there and everywhere lol which really baffles me but prolly a reason behind it

• 2 weeks later...

Too many projects wasn't really the issue. The problem is that there just isn't enough builders for it. Creating an entire world is a daunting task. Other than yourself and a small handful of others no one was really sending in enough prefabs. I'm not a builder. The mod just didnt generate enough legit interest. Though if you're still interested I could fix the blocks to work in A14. Though converting all the prefabs with Hals will be a task for someone with more talent than I. Poor Stompy, of course.

The problem is that there just isn't enough builders for it.

Val, can I suggest, with the utmost respect, that perhaps you're thinking a little too big for this mod? I think you should gear your mod(s) to work with random gen with prefabs and the new materials and icons etc and let people host their own medieval servers (or host it yourself). I've seen the medieval buildings available now and whilst there is not a stupendous number of them - there are a lot and they are of good quality.

I feel if you make them RWG compatible (I'm assuming that is easy) and make your icons and mats downloadable, people will start role-playing and with a little luck, the mod will be a hit and others will start to contribute. The prefabs will grow over time and you'll have people making great suggestions to enhance immersion etc. People will start making little hamlets on their private servers and the technically savvy builders will contribute their own buildings to the 'medieval prefab pack'.

Eventually, you can then commit to a fixed world - as per your current plan - but you'll have a player base ready to go along with all the enhancements built into the mod over time.

:)

Perhaps. Though understand the amount of work that would have to go into it to make it medieval is not insignificant. Its hard to feel motivated to do so when it garners so little attention and has no world to work in. Plus all the building we previously had made will need to be fixed for A14. I do not envy Stompy on that regard. Not that he can do anything until I fix up the blocks.

But I will update the blocks and see what happens from there. Just need time. I do have the Valmod Pack to keep updated and such. Though maybe some would like building with different blocks. And the code for that is all there, more or less, so it would be a shame to let it go to complete waste.

• 2 weeks later...
The wall torch that has fuel .. I don't know if in any of these pages is the same question that was answered but I don't see the xui here for the workstation it is linked too?:panda:

I don't believe it was ever shared. This is what was used:

<window_group name="workstation_WallTorch" controller="XUiC_WorkstationWindowGroup">

<window name="windowCraftingList"/>

<window name="craftingInfoPanel"/>

<window name="windowFuel" />

<window name="windowNonPagingHeader" />

</window_group>

The workstation will need to be renamed if your block is named anything other than WallTorch

What kind of prefabs are needed still, I'd be happy to make a few after I learn how to do it.

Villages, towns, cities. Anything really. We didn't have nearly enough to really populate a world. I have been meaning to update the block code for those who still want to mess around with it but I've been rather busy unfortunately.

Most of them would still work if you gave them new IDs. Problem is that there are so many blocks there at they wouldn't all fit in the file anymore, hence why I haven't updated them (yet). If you know what ones you want I could make them compatible for you right now.

I'll be working on the biomes again next week and will start on updating the rwg and cutting the prefabs etc.

I need to convert my castle to a14 so can probably have a look at the blocks file at the same time and assign the blocks some new ID's where there is a vanilla block now

http://7days2mod.com/Medieval/

Updated the Biomes to 14.6 and made a rwgmixer with no prefabs and all modern blocks removed.

Notable changes are:

Removed all modern blocks

Changed Burnt forest to include a bit more greenery

Changed forest and pine to have more trees

Changed desert into a green grassy plains

Wasteland changed to a spooky forest

Added the broken versions of resource rocks to most subbiomes

Changed all roads to dirt

Will work on converting the blocks file soon but there are a few blocks I think that the shape and/or texture are no longer in game so will need to find a substitute.

Villages, towns, cities. Anything really. We didn't have nearly enough to really populate a world. I have been meaning to update the block code for those who still want to mess around with it but I've been rather busy unfortunately.

I've been quietly working on a castle and village since learning about this a week ago. I don't have any experience with this stuff, but I have Hal's prefab editor running and so far so good (castle is 50x50x50 right now, the 'village' is currently being built on a hill similar to the setup in Braveheart). At the moment I am using standard flagstone to build with, but I sure hope this isn't being abandoned because this could effectively create a whole new sub-game that I think would be more popular than it appears currently. If you are able to update the blocks to work, I think I'll start hitting this pretty hard in the near future.

If you aren't able to (or just don't want to) update the blocks that's fine, I can make what I have work and just update everything when it's done.

Side note: If anyone knows a way to import a file made in blender to use as a prefab let me know, I could crank things out a LOT faster if that were possible. :p

Either way, don't give up on this, I'm way into it and the half dozen people I play with are really into it as well.

My personal recommendation is that even though Val's blocks add a ton of dimension, that prefabs be made with vanilla blocks, simply because the pimps like to change too much crap. They can always be converted, sure, but each and every build? Blah, that's a lot of work. Changing them over to newer blocks just ONCE, when we are sure the block changes are done, is a better idea, imo.

My personal recommendation is that even though Val's blocks add a ton of dimension, that prefabs be made with vanilla blocks, simply because the pimps like to change too much crap. They can always be converted, sure, but each and every build? Blah, that's a lot of work. Changing them over to newer blocks just ONCE, when we are sure the block changes are done, is a better idea, imo.

Makes sense, I'll continue vanilla building then. Thanks!

Archived