Medieval Times?

Valmar

Oh wow. Damn Laz, everytime I see your works of art it makes my stuff look even more like crap. Incredible attention to details. I love the use of curtains for banners - inspired! Plus look at the fire place. Wow.I never thought to use those blocks like that but now that I see it I feel foolish for never thinking of it before. I also like that theres an outhouse. Everything in this building is amazing and dripping with detail. Love it. You set a very high standard for us to reach, yknow. :)

Just for kicks, I got a zip of the repo and put that into my steam folder. Got this error during game loading:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80858415/hosted2/medievalerror.gif

Something wrong with cobblestone frame. I know you guys have other priorities - just saying. :) I was hoping to play with some architecture locally but no rush, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Looking at the block data in the github it seems its using an outdated version for the vanilla blocks. I don't know why. There might be a reason for it though so I'll wait to hear from Stompy on that.

In the meantime if you want the blocks this is the code to add to your blocks.xml:

http://pastebin.com/7rKvFSjF

I could possibly update the github version but again Im not sure why its using outdated code in the blocks. Plus if the blocks code is outdated whats to say the rest of it isn't also? Fix one thing break a dozen other things. Best to let Stompy deal with that since he added it and is the most likely to realize whats going on and what needs to be saved n such.

Valmar, I don't know if you have seen this or not but Mafke along with the rest of the Broken Ankle group created Whiterun from skyrim and I believe they are going to make it into a prefab for download. I think it would be perfect for this mod.

Two things I have noticed while building.

First the Cobblestone Plate has the wrong texture. It has a wood texture and it breaks/downgrades 4 times before breaking completely.

Number Two- How about using one of the new 3D meshes of the small pile of Sand Bags as a loot container. It could be Sacks of Potatoes or Sacks of Flour. Be nice as a decorative loot container in cellars or sitting by a fire place or something. Or it could just be picked up and turn into a set amount of Flour or Potatoes.

P.S. Stompy did you ever get a chance to make the video on how to use github? Sounds like a good source for group modding?

Entirely possible I deleted it while working with local repo's. Will double check.

Sent two pull requests. Half for fun, half to include those correct blocks Val provided in pastebin and half to work out this github monster.

Edit: retracted the pull request for pastebin blocks. Not convinced its right.

ive updated the blocks and tested in game, should all work ok now :)

I wasnt sure how to handle a merge conflict and only pull the recipe changes in from the second pull request, but you canceled it anyway just as I was closing it :)

Spider, I've changed the blocks file on git to extend cobblestonemaster instead of some wood block masters (Pillar, Halfblock, Pole, Plate)

Val will need to adjust the ones on the server. I have left the downgrade as val had it, but noted that the vanilla ones dont downgrade which i think would be the better option, as visually going from cobble to reinf wood doesnt look right.

After I've got the prefabs updated I'll go over the blocks in more detail and do some consistency checks :)

- - - Updated - - -

Valmar, I don't know if you have seen this or not but Mafke along with the rest of the Broken Ankle group created Whiterun from skyrim and I believe they are going to make it into a prefab for download. I think it would be perfect for this mod.

Looks damed nice, if they prefab it will def ask to include it in the pack :)

Latest merge confirmed as working. :) I went to 0,0. Can see the road outline. Started building a thatched hut. :)

I think I'll work on getting the new items (clothes etc) into the loot tables. Once again - not for longevity - but for my own enjoyment.

Edit: Stompy - you might want to periodically TAG the master repo as a RELEASE after each key merge is confirmed to be working. This bundles all files into a convenient zip file and makes it ready for the alpha testing fan base. :)

Whitewhatever video looked good and it really demonstrated how awesome towns can be when they're not just on flat terrain like rwg would make; I wonder what kind if rwgmixer voodoo it would take to replicate that... ;) if some individual prefabs were sunken, others raised, others flat, all with the accompanying and appropriate terrain filler, one could put together a town in rwg that has that same vibe to it.

My point is, each of the prefabs should have a raised and sunken variant as well. for this purpose.

Whitewhatever video looked good and it really demonstrated how awesome towns can be when they're not just on flat terrain like rwg would make; I wonder what kind if rwgmixer voodoo it would take to replicate that... ;) if some individual prefabs were sunken, others raised, others flat, all with the accompanying and appropriate terrain filler, one could put together a town in rwg that has that same vibe to it.

My point is, each of the prefabs should have a raised and sunken variant as well. for this purpose.

shhh, don't tell everyone my secret plans!

My mind melts with how inspiring awesome that is. I hope they permit us to use it, that would be a wonderful addition.

Two things I have noticed while building.

First the Cobblestone Plate has the wrong texture. It has a wood texture and it breaks/downgrades 4 times before breaking completely.

Number Two- How about using one of the new 3D meshes of the small pile of Sand Bags as a loot container. It could be Sacks of Potatoes or Sacks of Flour. Be nice as a decorative loot container in cellars or sitting by a fire place or something. Or it could just be picked up and turn into a set amount of Flour or Potatoes.

P.S. Stompy did you ever get a chance to make the video on how to use github? Sounds like a good source for group modding?

Sorry for the oversite. Fixed it in the files and when the server restarts it should be fixed there.

I was thinking of using the sand bags the other day when I saw them outside a house on the server. Just not sure how to approach it. I could change the base sandbags to be containers. Or make entirely new blocks for them. Probably the latter. But yes, definitely a good idea and I will add them at some point. Use normal sandbags for now as place holders. I'll get it all squared away soon. :)

Spider, I've changed the blocks file on git to extend cobblestonemaster instead of some wood block masters (Pillar, Halfblock, Pole, Plate)

I should have read this before touching anything. Haha. Oh well. These minor balancing changes can be addressed later. For now as long as it looks right thats all that matters.

Also I agree with Guppy with the non-flat towns. :)

I gotta say, the video got my blood pumping again about the project; I keep saying I'm almost caught up with work enough to get back into prefabbing, but then more work comes my way... good for the pocket book, not so much for prefabbing. :)

Either way, I WILL have some free time at some point in the future, so count me as still "in".

Sorry I missed this edit :)

I havent done the vid yet. Got a bit sidetracked and also had a bad cough which makes recording less than ideal

I'll try and get the basics into a vid tonight. I'm still learning things about it but I think what I know now is at least enough to start with :)

Nice Vid Stompy. :) I find the webpage and the desktop app confusing in its layout and terminology but I find the web page far easier to understand than the app. When I get more comfortable with manipulating repo's then I'll try the app again.

Question: when I do a compare, github shows EVERY SINGLE LINE has changed when that is not true. I think there is som ANSII thing or hidden character thing going on with the editor - or a LF vs CR vs LF + CR thing going on. I use notepad++. Is there a setting in the options or something and what setting do I use? Obviously I only want genuine changes to appear. Thx.

Sent another Pull request. Planning on transitioning loot to something that is far more encompassing (nearly every item can be looted) and of course, restricted to a medieval setting.

I'm working on my own here obviously, without any collaboration, so feel free to ignore the PULL. I'll be working on my own repo regardless. :)

Sent another Pull request. Planning on transitioning loot to something that is far more encompassing (nearly every item can be looted) and of course, restricted to a medieval setting.

I'm working on my own here obviously, without any collaboration, so feel free to ignore the PULL. I'll be working on my own repo regardless. :)

I was thinking about this a bit today and I think the best method to look into using would be creating a branch for you changes, rather than merging them with the master branch.

This initial phase of the mod is all about creating the world, and there are a few interested parties that would like to build their own mods using the world we are creating. Doing it this way would allow you to mod the loot/items/etc to your vision but still be able to pull in changes from the master branch.

For the compare issue, not sure without seeing the files. The ones you submit in the pull requests seem to only show the changes for me. The main change from default settings that I use in notepad is tab space is 2 and replace with space is ticked.

Archived