Medieval Times?

Valmar

Funny you should mention that:

http://imgur.com/a/4udV8

I wanted a minimalist thatch hut with an attached stable. I knocked that up in an hour but there is no interior as I'm not good at that.

In the background you can see a third house. Wood and cobblestone. Less poverty affected and still WIP.

BTW, my strengths are building exteriors. If we have interior decorators here that enjoy building the inside stuff then please feel free to visit my hamlet!! I won't even care if you talk in a high voice or lisp. (gay joke)

Dude, you've definitely got a good feel for this. :) Great stuff man.

My next projects are:

Trading Post - something with booths at a 4 corner stop

Bath House - will likely have a hidden sewer entrance for nefarious dealings

Gladiator Pit - this one will probably be done today

...but I'm out of the country all next week (cruise), so we'll see. :)

Looking good Fox. I took the liberty of snooping around your buildings on the server. Easier to appreciate the work that way. Curious to see what becomes of the third house with the giant chimney on the roof and how thats alll going to tie together.

Thanks guys. I expect my first few buildings to be practice and there is every chance they won't be distributed in the mod. I'm learning about what blocks work with what at the moment.

Guppy - that bear pit looks good. If you try again, think about half sinking it into the ground. It's a bit hard to tell but it looks like you have three tiers of seating. If you excavate a big space and put the arena floor + one or two tiers of seating below ground level, you can leave some seating above ground. I think it would look a little more cooler from the outside and when explorers climb up and see so much extra detail on the inside and all this awesomeness that was hidden from the outside they'll just go "woah". :) Your call of course.

Definitely hard to tell from the pics, but the pits themselves are sub-grade and the "bleachers" are on-grade. I concur, I may sink the seating a bit lower as well, although I'm not sure it would work for the 2nd pit given its rough edges. It would be pretty easy to do in the editor.

I may move away from buildings and focus on what I'll call "terrain anomalies"; basically, weird spots of land that will add to the texture of the rwgen. Right now it's too flat and smooth, it needs more crags and crevasses. I enjoyed the terrain I made under the "twin towers", and it felt fun walking through it in-game.

I don't have the artistic eye some of y'all have, but I do like mucking with the terrain.

I hope A14 drops while I'm out at sea next week, so I can jump into the new NAV when I get back, one of my own pet projects was to terra-form NAV and build my own map.

BTW, Val, have you re-skinned the pews by any chance?

No, haven't touched the pews. The pews are not actually blocks with textures that I can change. They're actually 3d model objects placed in the game. So I can't really do anything with those, sadly. Would be nice if there was a shape for that so I could add texture changes.

Speaking of which, I've added some new blocks:

Animal Meat - Just for decoration purposes atm, might look good on some tables here and there. A bit tricky to destroy due to a hitbox issue so be mindful of that.

Wooden Window - Essentially I turned the woodframe block into a centered plate to simulate what I think could be a neat wooden window for some of the less fancy houses that wouldn't have glass.

Metal Window - Same as above, except with rebar.

Metal Cage - This is the rebar, like above, except instead of centering the plate I made it a "normal" plate to allow for more creative freedom. I think this could be used to make some neat little metal cages. Hence the name.

Wooden Frame Plate - In a similar fashion this the wooden frame in plate form. Could be useful for some creative buildings I guess, hence why I added it.

They have no icons atm, so no need to redownload the icons file.

Great. :) Would love to see just one shot from the outside. Just to see the new profile. Imagine me walking down the road with my horse and cart (medieval style) - I'm curious to see what my first view will be.

Is this on the Val server? Can I just log in and see for myself?

Edit: never mind - I think you have screenshots above - I only just saw that.

Hal, btw, if you're still reading this topic do you know of why customicons wouldn't work (via use of the Mods folder) with your prefab program installed? I thought maybe it was because I did something stupid but now due to others mentioning it to me I'm wondering if maybe it was something to do with your program in general.

Hi Val,

If you do a manual update through the editor the custom icons should load in now. Let me know if they don't and I'll have another look.

I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to get it working(tried on several occasions but I keep screwing something up) so I'll have to check later when I've the energy and a day to dedicate to figuring it out. Its not you, its me. :) Appreciate it, though.

Another question. If I add the program to the server would players who have it installed be able to take advantage of it on the server? Would everyone who joins need to have it then? Or is it a SP-only thing?

Clients don't need it, it can be used on the server, but only by those you set as "Admin", so everyday joes couldn't use it.

...although thinking about it, I don't know how bbb rp works so ... the way I read Hal's description, is that if there is no admin set, bbb rp will work, but if there is one set, it won't? Hal?

I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to get it working(tried on several occasions but I keep screwing something up) so I'll have to check later when I've the energy and a day to dedicate to figuring it out. Its not you, its me. :) Appreciate it, though.

Another question. If I add the program to the server would players who have it installed be able to take advantage of it on the server? Would everyone who joins need to have it then? Or is it a SP-only thing?

If the server has the DLL then the clients don't need it. It's handy to have because if they have the SP DLL installed then it filters out all the bbb commands that run through the chat window but other than that they can play as usual. They can run any bbb command that they have access to even without the SP DLL. By default they can't run admin commands and they can only claim 1 area. If you set them as an admin then they can run whatever they want and have unlimited claims.

I did a

for installing the editor on youtube that you might find handy. There's been more functionality added so I may do another quick video this weekend.

Clients don't need it, it can be used on the server, but only by those you set as "Admin", so everyday joes couldn't use it.

...although thinking about it, I don't know how bbb rp works so ... the way I read Hal's description, is that if there is no admin set, bbb rp will work, but if there is one set, it won't? Hal?

bbb rp reloads the editor config file for the server. Usually only admins can run it but if there's no admins at all then it assumes you're the server owner and makes you an admin. Only if there's no admins will this bit happen but bbb rp works all the time (if you're an admin). Once there's an admin set then other admin users have to be set through the editor.

I think it's important to know the evolution of your program; it started off as a claim block methodizer, right? Then sort of morphed from there? I fully acknowledge that I don't know half the crap it can do. :)

It started off as a way to protect your buildings in game from griefers. When people log in they can use the bbb commands to claim a 33x33 (changeable in the settings) area to build in. They can then use the bbb commands to save the area as they build so if someone comes and griefs it they can restore it from the last save. Or if placing that last concrete block causes the whole thing to collapse all is not lost ^^

The prefab editor was a separate project but they ended up being combined into one so people can create their own prefabs for the game and export them. Throw in a few admin functions for running the server and a few mods built in and you have the editor program. The world editor is the next extension from it all and is how the next phase I have planned will be controlled but that will probably be after gold or once the functions I need from TFP have been added.

So a quick update in regards to the server - it is no longer up. The sad but undeniable truth is that it simply wasn't being used and thus was a waste of real-world resources to keep running. The map however is still preserved along with any/all buildings that were on it. Those who wish to continue building in SP I encourage you to do so - prefabs are still welcomed.

I can't wait to see some of those prefabs in random gen.

What is left to do before medieval times is ready for prerelease early alpha play testing? What is the vision and what is the bare minimum to start hosting?

essentially it is waiting on me to get the rwg done, which I plan to do for a14 once I've had a play with the quests system. Prior to that we will also need to adjust all of the prefabs as there will be block id changes and probably messed up rotation changes from them consolidating block shapes.

Until then all we can really do is keep building prefabs.

What Stompy said.

Of course there is a lot of xml-driven stuff to be done. The new weapons, tools, armors. New enemies. New food, new plants, new cooking system, new alchemy system. The "npc" vendor shops and balancing that out. However all this is done in the xml files and while definitely time-consuming isn't that difficult to do. The difficult part is the prefabs. There is zero point in building up all this medieval code when there is no world to actually play in that fits the theme.

We have a few prefabs built so far but still not enough. Its a big world. Lots to do. Until the world is finished my hands are essentially tied.

Archived