Medieval Times?

Valmar

Stompy are you making custom City Block Tiles?

I wasn't intending to use cityblocks at all. Will be a bunch of custom hubs using towns and some random towns (if they ever fix the town generation).

A lot of prefabs will be stand alone as wilderness spawns too

Ok so I seem to have broken my save game that had my castle built in it

For some reason I get a lot of errors trying to get hals dll working on a13.6 or 13.8 (was using the dll from the old version of the editor) and it caused a number of blocks to disappear (half cobble, thatch curbs etc). Not a total loss but will require several hours to fix it up and convert it to a14 :/

I'm not certain I will be able to extract the prefabs from the region files unless I can get this working.

Also just discovered that filehistory doesnt back up the AppsData folder where the save games default to... awesome MS

Edit: ok so the missing blocks was just me having the wrong blocks file :)

If I can get hals dll to play nicely then I'll build a conversion matrix and extract the prefabs from the regions and run them through the conversion process so they work with the a14 blocks ids

Thanks for the response Val. Maybe you can share some of your vision and dreams for this mod? Will there be zombies? Will the perk system be rewritten? Will there be tiered technology?

Thanks Stumpy. I'm a github fan. I have started a repo for my own mod yesterday. I'll take a look but I'm more comfortable with xml. I shall linger about regardless and offer moral support and encouragement. :)

Edit: I was going to mess around with loot and recipe xml to remove guns and ammo so random gen doesn't make those things available during testing but I don't have pull permissions. togfoxy

Thanks for the response Val. Maybe you can share some of your vision and dreams for this mod? Will there be zombies? Will the perk system be rewritten? Will there be tiered technology?

Thanks Stumpy. I'm a github fan. I have started a repo for my own mod yesterday. I'll take a look but I'm more comfortable with xml. I shall linger about regardless and offer moral support and encouragement. :)

Edit: I was going to mess around with loot and recipe xml to remove guns and ammo so random gen doesn't make those things available during testing but I don't have pull permissions. togfoxy

Im still fairly new to github so it's possible I didnt set things up right, but my understanding when you are working with someone elses repo that you are not a collaborator on is you have to create a fork back to your own account first, then make your changes on that fork, and when ready submit the pull request back to the original repo. The repo owner (or anyone with write access) can then choose to merge it with the branch they want.

Yeah, zombies will be a thing. Would be a pretty boring game without them, I think.

Perks would be rewritten completely, yes. I'm thinking each crafting tool will be its own perk/progression. For example in vanilla now its popular to mass-craft stone axes to level tool smithing. In the medieval mod crafting stone axes will increase your ability to craft.... stone axes. There may be some generics but Im thinking most of it will all be individual. If that makes sense.

Ok, so I just went through the entire thread and checked I had grabbed all the prefabs.

https://github.com/StompyNZ/7-Days-To-Die-Medieval/tree/master/Mods/a13prefabstoconvert

here's the list so far for converting to a14/15

I need to hunt down a copy of Lazman's tavern and get Guppy's house_cityhome1 and house_cityhome3 as the links were misdirected :p

Next on the todo is to get Valmars region files from the a13 save and export the prefabs :)

I forked, edited an resubmitted some xml. Just removed some non-medieval items from loot and recipes to help get in the medieval mood during these early stages. :) I don't expect any longevity out of these changes - I was bored - so, that's what I did.

I forked, edited an resubmitted some xml. Just removed some non-medieval items from loot and recipes to help get in the medieval mood during these early stages. :) I don't expect any longevity out of these changes - I was bored - so, that's what I did.

Cheers for that. I've merged them in after reading the diff and all looks good ;) (also a good test for me of how the pull request / merge thing works ;) )

looking good spider :)

send me a DL link or if you are feeling adventurous give github a try :) You just fork the repo then add your prefabs and sumbit a pull request to send them back to the mod.

I'm building them on Vals Medieval Building Server so hes got them. I'm not real sure what types of buildings ya'll already have . Is there a list of completed POI's somewhere or do you know what you are still needing? Like do you have a Blacksmith yet or a Stable?

Well remember even if we already have one, we still need more! Variety is what makes exploring great. Sure you can get by with just one version of this building copy/pasted a hundred times. It works for the Pimps. But its better to have many variations.

LazMan I believe built a blacksmith a while back that was pretty amazing. We could still use more though.

After all the A13 prefabs are converted over I'll look into making screenshots of each one to showcase what is done.

If I downloaded the whole github and installed it today, what can I expect to happen? Would it break my game? Would I be able to start a new random gen world? Would old prefabs show? Would new prefabs show? Would I have access to new blocks via creative menu?

What does the repo provide in its current state?

I'm building them on Vals Medieval Building Server so hes got them. I'm not real sure what types of buildings ya'll already have . Is there a list of completed POI's somewhere or do you know what you are still needing? Like do you have a Blacksmith yet or a Stable?

https://github.com/StompyNZ/7-Days-To-Die-Medieval/tree/master/Mods/a13prefabstoconvert

heres the current list of a13 prefabs that need updating and the subfolder are the ones that need editing in hals to remove layers and trim the sides etc.

I'll let Val do the export of the prefabs then when hes ready, now thats hes got coppi's dll working :)

If I downloaded the whole github and installed it today, what can I expect to happen? Would it break my game? Would I be able to start a new random gen world? Would old prefabs show? Would new prefabs show? Would I have access to new blocks via creative menu?

What does the repo provide in its current state?

I havent tested it yet, but it 'should' work in its current state.

I have the repo based in my game folder (a seperate folder to the vanilla one) so that I can just sync the files and test any changes :)

if you use the desktop client and fork the repo into a game folder and use the same .gitignore as me then it will allow you to sync any changes to your local machine (and upload your changes to a pull request) and you wont have to worry about downloading a zip and extracting it. Just one click of a button and you are up to date.

As for what is currently there:

Mods folder has the custom icons, and a folder to hold the a13 prefabs prior to updating and adding to the mixer etc.

Data folder has the modded blocks, biomes, and rwgmixer (plus your changes)

The current mixer is an empty square of raods at the central hub, then some random little towns but the prefabs rules dont have any prefabs atm so there wont be any buildings

The biomes has been edited to remove any modern blocks etc

The blocks file has all of the additions from val that you can indeed get from creative menu to use for building prefabs :)

So now that stompy has converted the old A13 builds to actual prefabs I have wrote up the "before and after" ID change chart that he can use to make the conversion.

I mentioned to him about A15 (Im sure I will have to change some IDs around when it releases) but he ensures me that from this point onward after we do this it won't be a problem to change it in the future when the game updates things. So I guess A15 wont be t hat big of a deal for this. Or maybe I misunderstood.

The important thing here guys is that the prefabs live. THEY LIVE!

After the prefab conversion is finished I will go through and add icons for any blocks that may be missing them. I think I'll save the naming changes later though since for now I think its more useful for players not to need the localization.

Recommend waiting to a15 for prefab updates...

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus, forgot how many I've done...

lol yeah I was thinking exactly that when I went through and collected them all up :p

as for waiting for a15? not a big deal. The hard part was getting a13.8 working and the regions in and exporting the prefabs. Now tht part is done the id swaps in hals is simple and can be done on all prefabs in one hit. I wont be spending much time on fixing rotation errors and other such stuff till a15 though. I'm sure a lot fo the prefabs will need some touchups to add the new block shapes in like the wooden steps and rails which should add a lot more variety to our builds.

also congrats to Valmar for his first github submission, finally converted to the dark side :p

Edit: also, if I wait till a15 then I'll be too busy playing to work on the prefabs, so I might as well start now while I'm bored with the game :p

Archived