Animal spawns too low

Too low animal spawns  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the animal spawns are too low?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

Do you think the animal spawns are too low? Right now they only spawn at night. While during the day you only get rabbits and chickens in the forest.  And rattlesnakes in the burnt forest

Personally I think it's too low! Hell I only found 1 deer. On the the one hand it makes the game harder and I like but on the other it makes the map feel lifeless. The forest should have deer running around during the day. 

I think how they did it in alpha in alpha 18 or 17 were hostile animals spawned way more at night. Sense the forest is a easy area. It should be coyotes and rarely wolves 

Default settings (60 min days), If I go out hunting at night I'll usually find a deer or two (Normal pine forest)- probably averages to more than 1 per night. I feel like chickens are easy enough to spot and get..  Personal opinion, they could probably make animals another 5-10% _LESS_ common and it would balance meat in the right direction.. But I only feel like that because I have some time under my belt- If I were newer, I'm sure I'd be a very hungry hunter again.

Edited by Mister Forgash (see edit history)

Also remember that for players having trouble finding animals to kill, there is a perk to highlight them when you are close.  The changes to animals has actually made that perk worth something, at least for anyone who struggles to get enough meat.

I also feel like meat is still too abundant and wouldn't have a problem with fewer animals.

With one point in animal tracker I usually bag about 4 chickens a day, fun chasing them down with a knife, and about the same amount of snakes at night, so nice of them to meet me half way, in the Forest. Deer can be hit or miss. Some nights I’ll run into a few some none. I’m fine with the spawns the way they are.

I have two perspectives, mine and a 14 hour old new player.
Mine ok as it is because I increased my zombie spawn to 3.

This keeps me occupied till I find more game. I hadn't noticed

the drop, because I move biome distance a lot.

My friend finished downloading the game at 2am yesterday.
I spoke to him 4pm today. The first thing he told me is he had
meat an began to store a bit in a storage box he made for quest.

It was a positive achievement for him.

He got his cherry popped going into 3 skull poi, I don't know
where, then he was introduced to Lassie, Benji, Cujo, and Rin Tin Tin,
simultaneously.

RNG gave him a water purifier mod, So he quickly hung
up with me once he found out what it was for, to go back and play.

So id say it's enough. between the two of us.

12 hours ago, vom said:

What makes them 'too low'?

I've noticed they are lower, and for a survival challenge game - I'd say that's an improvement.

Them not spawning during the day. Granted now I turned off feral settings at night so maybe I'll have better luck and not get mauled death

Is general animal spawn rate too low? Yes.

Is spawning 4 zombie wolves on day 5, which manage to stack and jump the fence at Trader Jen's too much?

(Player is dead, can't respond)

I use the animal tracker perk, just the first level -- and although I know chickens and rabbits are generally fewer than there were in the previous version, I have had no problem getting enough meat to survive on. I've even had snakes during the day. Deer are more variable, but they're definitely there and you just need to drive around a bit to find them. Once you find your snow biome, though, you have bears and mountain cats and wolves aplenty at all time of day.

Prior to the vehicle damage system becoming more intense, I would take my bike to the snow biome and just charge down bears, cats and wolves then quickly double shotgun them in the head whilst they were stunned. Fun times :)

1 minute ago, OneManStanding said:

I use the animal tracker perk, just the first level -- and although I know chickens and rabbits are generally fewer than there were in the previous version, I have had no problem getting enough meat to survive on. I've even had snakes during the day. Deer are more variable, but they're definitely there and you just need to drive around a bit to find them. Once you find your snow biome, though, you have bears and mountain cats and wolves aplenty at all time of day.

Prior to the vehicle damage system becoming more intense, I would take my bike to the snow biome and just charge down bears, cats and wolves then quickly double shotgun them in the head whilst they were stunned. Fun times :)

That's what I used that was the first thing I used and it does help and I'm trying to get it to an extra level

But I haven't seen a Hogs yet

6 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

That's what I used that was the first thing I used and it does help and I'm trying to get it to an extra level

But I haven't seen a Hogs yet

They're all over the burnt biome

2 hours ago, ElCabong said:

They're all over the burnt biome

So I finally went out for a hunt and yeah I found a decent bit of animals I still personally think that some should at least spawn during the daytime like a rare deer here and there

And more dangerous wildlife of course then again I'm weird about that stuff

8 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

So I finally went out for a hunt and yeah I found a decent bit of animals I still personally think that some should at least spawn during the daytime like a rare deer here and there

And more dangerous wildlife of course then again I'm weird about that stuff

They do spawn during the day.  I get all animals during the day.  Night is just more chance to spawn.  I don't use the perk, but if you have it and it's high enough to allow showing deer, I'm sure you'll see there are some during the day as well.  Even without it, you'll eventually notice them if you're exploring the wilderness.  They can be in towns, but it seems to be lower chance unless that's just RNG.

Knowing where Snakes are spawning is what is keeping me in meat rn, day 10 and i'm just about over the early game food and drink hump. Didn't realise deer only spawned at night however, so im off out hunting tonight! 

13 hours ago, Riamus said:

They do spawn during the day.  I get all animals during the day.  Night is just more chance to spawn.  I don't use the perk, but if you have it and it's high enough to allow showing deer, I'm sure you'll see there are some during the day as well.  Even without it, you'll eventually notice them if you're exploring the wilderness.  They can be in towns, but it seems to be lower chance unless that's just RNG.

I know they can spawn today but it's nothing big only chickens and rabbits my diet has consisted of nothing but rattlesnakes delicious

5 hours ago, Shinentai said:

Knowing where Snakes are spawning is what is keeping me in meat rn, day 10 and i'm just about over the early game food and drink hump. Didn't realise deer only spawned at night however, so im off out hunting tonight! 

Facts I love those little noodles

I had to turn off feral sense because ferals just made hunting just nearly unplayable

After playing with it for a little while longer I still stand my point big game should spawn during the day But very rarely

If they want to make it more dangerous at a few extra small Critters like coyotes to attack you

And the fact that really I've only found pigs in the burnt forces ridiculous it's the forest there should be tons of animals

Probably once they add the real pigs they'll probably be in the forest and Hogs might be in the burnt Force but I still think they should spawn in the forest

Animal spawns are now far too low; i too believe that we should struggle in the game, i personally think the spawns should be a tiny bit more. Partly it's for immersion too ie there should be some animals, if for no other reason that it's jarring with almost zero animals mooching around

I also enjoy the struggle, but how can you not see a dear during the day in the forest? I haven't seen any. We should see bears spawn in the pine forest occasionally, as well maybe coyotes. Its just more immersive to have more wildlife. Can we at least get more advanced options in the game to setup animal spawning percentages day and night in different biomes. I think it would be amazing to have more in game setup options in general so everybody can create a game that suits their own play styles.

Edited by aceguy7 (see edit history)

I have definitely spotted deer in the pine forest in the middle of the day- it's just significantly less common.. And though I don't think we need more day time animal spawns, I wouldn't mind the occasional coyote in the forest.

I might be able to whip up a small mod with directions on how to adjust the spawn rates and what can spawn in different biomes.  It wouldn't be something you can change through the vanilla menu (it might be possible, but that is something at this time I am not interested in pursuing).

21 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I might be able to whip up a small mod with directions on how to adjust the spawn rates and what can spawn in different biomes.  It wouldn't be something you can change through the vanilla menu (it might be possible, but that is something at this time I am not interested in pursuing).

Too bad im on console 😪