V1.0 b332 EXP (b333 Hotfix)

2 minutes ago, faatal said:

The brightness change had nothing to do with streamers. As you said, streamers could already turn up the brightness. It was changed because it was thought to be a more practical play experience. I actually like it dark and have thought we could have day and night brightness settings, but we shall see where the team opinions lands after more testing and feedback.

You can make a setting for this, and then both lovers of darkness and lovers of light will be satisfied.

I do agree that some places in the game were too dark during the daytime.  So it sounds like adjustments were made but went too far.  FWIW, I'd split the difference and try that. 

As it is, torches, flashlights, spotlights etc are completely unnecessary.

1 hour ago, DanLW said:

So it sounds like adjustments were made but went too far

✓ 100%.

I'm sitting at 0% brightness right now. I shouldn't have to go that low, but if I could I'd go a bit lower.

1 hour ago, DanLW said:

4 hours ago, DanLW said:

I do agree that some places in the game were too dark during the daytime.  So it sounds like adjustments were made but went too far.  FWIW, I'd split the difference and try that. 

This isn't universal. I seem to play on a relatively dark screen and for me the current setting is just about right. I can't change it though I am not the only user of that screen

So an adjustable brightness would really be the best way forward

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Without changing the present lighting configuration, Could a set of LUTs be used similar to an earlier

version that had brilliant and a few others. They could be saved in the data folder, the main game need

not change, and the plus is it would be a non-intrusive moddable asset that can be customized by modders.

It could be a simple option choice, so each client can have their own view.     Win Win. Yes or No?

Glad to see I am not the only one disliking the lack of darkness at night. An adjustable option seems best to me with "very dark" being so dark that you cannot see anything outside at night without a light source.

The above thought that I had isn't really because i totally dislike the brighter nights.

It's just really different. Here comes the big but, I may be wrong but it could have been

done partially for inclusion. I don't get to use the torch, I use to carry about ten and when Id

roam at night, when chased id set up a light ring to fight, then move on. But I have found myself

actually doing more at night now, stealthing with my bow and throwable spears.

Including a LUT would allow me to set darkness, and also I could try to set one for the colorblind.

I did that once before, but I had to edit the resource.assets to accomplish it.

On 7/25/2024 at 4:19 AM, mouldy said:

So nice that the bow animation was fixed so quickly!

I guess it won't make it for the actual 1.0 release tomorrow but I feel like the lighting this time was just overtuned. Nights are a bit too bright and it makes torches, flashlights, and night vision unneeded. It also effectively makes stealth gameplay stronger as you won't have to use lights at night that increase your visibility meter.

Someone made a mod for the interior/exterior lighting for both day and night: https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/5422

Exterior Day - Tuned
spacer.png

Exterior Day - Original

spacer.png

Interior Day - Tuned

spacer.png

Interior Day - Original

spacer.png

I think the devs should revisit the lighting post-1.0 and make different ambient lighting for night/day. I'll admit some of the screenshots on that mod are too dark (but still brighter pre-1.0) so maybe somewhere in the middle? On some screenshots, the game look beautiful, makes it look cinematic even.

I wholeheartedly recommend this mod; lighting was great, and realistic, in A21 (apart from when it was tweaked at some point to the extent where going in and outdoors was extremely jarring; but TFP then fixed that).   however in v1.0 the lighting is way too bright, certainly at night. It's "pleasant" on the eyes but not immersive or anywhere near realistic. This mod (for me anyways) will do the trick until the default lighting model is (hopefully) put back how it should be. 

10 hours ago, seven said:

For me, the nights are too bright, and often the days are too dark. I have to look at the time to see if it's night or not.

Yeah, I've often not realized it was night time until I happened to look at the time.  If you miss the audio cue when it switched to night (or to day), you really can't tell the difference.  It's not good.

19 hours ago, faatal said:

There was a change in the throw code to a line that compares if the item value was the same reference, which was changed to Equals. That compares all the values of an item, which did not match after lit, so it would cancel the throw as soon as you clicked. I changed it to a type compare to fix. That is old code and it may not even be needed anymore, but removing could cause some other bug. Fixing bugs can be dangerous as you often make new ones, which happened several times this week.

Crazy how something so small can have such a large impact on such an important aspect of the game lol. Thanks for the answer!

It feels bad though, because I feel as if lighting is a big part of the game, and your base should be well lit for your safety. Zombies lurk in the dark, players need light to survive.
Torches attract zombies, but now we don't need them because day or night everything is well lit. The nights especially are so lit up it just feels bizarre. And blood moon events were scary as @%$# when you couldn't see much, now they're all completely visible. 

On 7/25/2024 at 1:12 PM, faatal said:

There was a change in the throw code to a line that compares if the item value was the same reference, which was changed to Equals. That compares all the values of an item, which did not match after lit, so it would cancel the throw as soon as you clicked. I changed it to a type compare to fix. That is old code and it may not even be needed anymore, but removing could cause some other bug. Fixing bugs can be dangerous as you often make new ones, which happened several times this week.

Faatal, could this change lead to a slower throw motion? Last night was day 56 horde and I noticed a much slower throw (I'm rank 5 DE and I did notice this change due to my horde defense being an electrified pit so I just need explosives for horde night). Didn't have any problems about the "dragging explosives" (I believe because I'm very used to opt "shift + item"), but throwing explosives is definitely not like before.

I'm doing a fetch / clear quest in NDC Checkpoint Two but can't find the last zombie(s). Is that a known issue? Searched the whole POI, even with god mode, but no success. Command "killall", if that is even a thing, doesn't do anything either.

There is a yellow marker where there should be a Z but there is nothing.

Edited by PoloPoPo (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

I'm doing a fetch / clear quest in NDC Checkpoint Two but can't find the last zombie(s). Is that a known issue? Searched the whole POI, even with god mode, but no success. Command "killall", if that is even a thing, doesn't do anything either.

killall and god mode aren't useful when a volume hasn't yet spawned.  There is probably a button or key rack somewhere that you didn't use.  Some zombies don't spawn if you don't use a trigger even if you enter the room some other way.

16 hours ago, Riamus said:

killall and god mode aren't useful when a volume hasn't yet spawned.  There is probably a button or key rack somewhere that you didn't use.  Some zombies don't spawn if you don't use a trigger even if you enter the room some other way.

I know about that but there certainly wasn't anything I didn't use. All main doors were unlocked and main loot looted. It was bugged, only question is if it is regularly bugged or just bad luck for me that time.

God mode can be helpful as you can easily access all rooms and hidden corners or bunkers and make some noise there to trigger spawns.

17 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

I don't know if the POI folks are seeing this, but if you described the room in which the yellow marker is located that might help them understand which zombie volume hasn't been placed and if that is a location issue or a trigger issue.

NDC Checkpoint Two is roadside_checkpoint_02

I see 4 Triggers:

1 is a keyrack that opens a door... I don't think there are zombies attached to it. It seems like the exit.

2 is a generator hidden in a trailer ... restore power quest, I assume.

3 is a trigger volume when you walk through an interior doorway

4 is a keyrack that opens a garage door... maybe there are zombies attached to it.

There are two zombie volume on the roof that could get overlooked. If you're yellow marker seems to be elevated some then it would be a sign the volume is above you. At least one of them appears to be part of the restore power quest.

There are a few attack volumes, so I'm pretty sure you've found those.

I do agree the game has gotten to be too bright. Though I CAN see the appeal for people to make the game play "easier", it does also take a lot of the scariness away from the game. One might remember the good old days (well, nights) when it was so dark you could hardly see without a torch, so going out at night was much more oppressive. Nowadays (nowanights?) you really don't have to worry so much.

It would be very nice with a setting, and I would go one further to make it a server setting, that way people playing solo could set it as they wanted, and server admins could specify for the whole server to which degree darkness would affect everyone at night. Sure, people could still bump up screen/pc brightness etc, but it'd at least baseline it for everyone equally on that particular server fitting that particular setting chosen.

44 minutes ago, Vedui said:

I do agree the game has gotten to be too bright. Though I CAN see the appeal for people to make the game play "easier", it does also take a lot of the scariness away from the game. One might remember the good old days (well, nights) when it was so dark you could hardly see without a torch, so going out at night was much more oppressive. Nowadays (nowanights?) you really don't have to worry so much.

It would be very nice with a setting, and I would go one further to make it a server setting, that way people playing solo could set it as they wanted, and server admins could specify for the whole server to which degree darkness would affect everyone at night. Sure, people could still bump up screen/pc brightness etc, but it'd at least baseline it for everyone equally on that particular server fitting that particular setting chosen.

Yep! Zeds are significantly less terrifying and a threat when you can see them so far away they're just standing there. And it negates the "lighting makes you more visible" mechanic. Yes: Make the daytime super bright for the noobs, and nights/underground super dark for everyone. Make it a choice to go out when its actually dangerous... or just stay inside if you're not ready for that. Whats the point of having torches and player crafted lights (for base and weapons/head) when they aren't actually used for anything? It shouldn't be "7 Days to Stand Around Taking Bored Headshots At Everything From 100 Yards All The Live Long Day Without A Care In The World" as the default vanilla experience.

Yes: There needs to be a global/server wide setting for darkness, to make it darker. If clients want to cheat with monitor tricks, let them, but (if wanted) the admin can at least turn it waaay down to make it pitch black and monitor brightness tricks might fail at that point?

imagine a horror movie (7 Days To Walk Away?) where the poor killer cannot kill anyone because everyone is like "hey! Theres the killer! On that hill about 1/2 a mile away! Everyone, let's pack up camp and put out the campfire responsibly and walk to our cars and get away. No, put your guns away, and definitely that baseball bat that really isnt going to be needed. If he actually sees us and comes closer one of us can take him out with a basic pistol, yawn, are you gonna drink that yucca juice? No sense leaving it behind in a hurry"

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

7 hours ago, zztong said:

I don't know if the POI folks are seeing this, [...]

I'd even file a bug report if that wasn't so complicated and required whatever logs and 1000 way too much clicks. They even threaten to delete the report if I make a mistake. I mean, I pay for the game to playtest and report bugs for them for free and that's what they confront me with. There are also lots of translation flaws in German language. Let me make a topic where I can report them one by one with a screenshot and I'd do that for free. But create a bug report everytime I see a translation mistake... no thanks.

On 8/1/2024 at 4:57 PM, PoloPoPo said:

I'd even file a bug report if that wasn't so complicated and required whatever logs and 1000 way too much clicks. They even threaten to delete the report if I make a mistake. I mean, I pay for the game to playtest and report bugs for them for free and that's what they confront me with. There are also lots of translation flaws in German language. Let me make a topic where I can report them one by one with a screenshot and I'd do that for free. But create a bug report everytime I see a translation mistake... no thanks.

The instructions relate to bug reports.  Translation errors are not quite the same thing, imo.  For example, a log isn't going to matter for something like that.  Now, I'm not TFP and so maybe this suggestion isn't a good one, but I think they would accept a "bug" report with just screenshots of the errors and a correction (perhaps a reason why it is wrong as well) and the game version.

On 8/1/2024 at 10:57 PM, PoloPoPo said:

The problem are not the few players who know when a logfile would be necessary or not, the problem are the thousands of players who know very little about their hardware and software and post bugs without useful information and waste everyones time.

Multiply posting a round of questions and asking for a logfile times 50 and you find out how much time a developer at TFP probably would have to waste on those round trips alone per month. Where 45 of these bug reports would turn out to be user error like playing with outdated mods.

And actually, with your POI bug the logfile would probably be necessary as it includes the sequence of spawns in the POI. They could find out which zombie didn't spawn (if that were the problem) and maybe ways to reproduce this. Without logfile I don't know if they would even make an attempt to recreate the bug (which is a prerequisit to finding the bug) as it would take a lot more time "poking in the dark"

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)