Genuinely surprised super corn sell price wasn't adjusted

I'm just making a brief post expressing my utter curiosity and surprise that the sell cost for super corn (5k for a stack by default with no barter buffs) has remained consistent between versions. Is this an oversight? Surely TFP don't want players getting rich off of selling crops, even if it's a specialty variety.

4 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm just making a brief post expressing my utter curiosity and surprise that the sell cost for super corn (5k for a stack by default with no barter buffs) has remained consistent between versions. Is this an oversight? Surely TFP don't want players getting rich off of selling crops, even if it's a specialty variety.

I know several people do exactly that as early in the game as they can then just buy most of what they need.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

I really never found much of an use for it, other than from modding in additional uses.

Only good use I've found is making glue.

Never grown or sold it -- definitely didn't know it was worth that much dukes. I've just never bothered with it.

I'm not absolutely sure, as I wasn't playing at the time, but I think supercorn came in during whatever A16-18 thereabouts when the game became some sort of starvation simulator - as my brother called it. Some change the dev's had put in meant food was really hard to come by, especially for multiple people playing together, and supercorn was supposed to be the answer to that. But with the food situation alleviated supercorn became a pointless addition.

But I could be rememebring that wrong.

Still nobody has mentioned how many a stack actually is. Does everyone except me just know this from memory?

I checked this now and it is 125. Making 125 crops (while also feeding back part of them for new seeds) seems like a lot of work. Can anyone give a reasoned estimation whether this is right or too much?

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Still nobody has mentioned how many a stack actually is. Does everyone except me just know this from memory?

That fact that I didn't even bothered to look it up in the code says a lot  😁

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

I checked this now and it is 125. Making 125 crops (while also feeding back part of them for new seeds) seems like a lot of work. Can anyone give a reasoned estimation whether this is right or too much?

It seems to be about 20x what other crops are worth.

Ec. value of supercorn is 200, stack size is 125.

For comparison, regular corn and potatoes are both 10 ec value and also 125 stack size.

And with all perks and Q6 farmer-armor, you get 7 crops per harvest.  125 yield isn't many crop plots.  100 plots grows just as fast as 10 plots.  Easy to scale up.

Edited by stample (see edit history)

1 hour ago, stample said:

It seems to be about 20x what other crops are worth.

Ec. value of supercorn is 200, stack size is 125.

I know, but comparison to other crops does not say much as those are common items you find in all trash piles. Supercorn is almost exlusively(?) available from Bobs Boars and Carls Corns POI, I had a game where I was looking for it and only found it after flying around for days with a gyro.

It is hard to give some average value for when supercorn is expected to turn up in players inventories, but if I had to give an estimate I would say day 25-30 ??

1 hour ago, stample said:

And with all perks and Q6 farmer-armor, you get 7 crops per harvest.  125 yield isn't many crop plots.  100 plots grows just as fast as 10 plots.  Easy to scale up.

You still need to reserve 2.5 of the 7 crops on average to replace lost seeds. That means 4.5 crops per farm plot, so you need 125/4.5 = 28 farm plots to get 5000 dukes every 3 days. Harvesting 28 farm plots for 5000 dukes at that stage of the game? Remember after finding bobs boars you also have to do a few harvest turns of 3 days each to multiply your supercorn so you can fill 28 plots. So the first dukes would be gained maybe on day 35-40.

In A21 I would have laughed condescendingly and played INT instead 😉, now in 1.0 with the trader nerf it actually might or might not have value.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

I know, but comparison to other crops does not say much as those are common items you find in all trash piles. Supercorn is almost exlusively(?) available from Bobs Boars and Carls Corns POI, I had a game where I was looking for it and only found it after flying around for days with a gyro.

It is hard to give some average value for when supercorn is expected to turn up in players inventories, but if I had to give an estimate I would say day 25-30 ??

You still need to reserve 2.5 of the 7 crops on average to replace lost seeds. That means 4.5 crops per farm plot, so you need 125/4.5 = 28 farm plots to get 5000 dukes every 3 days. Harvesting 28 farm plots for 5000 dukes at that stage of the game? Remember after finding bobs boars you also have to do a few harvest turns of 3 days each to multiply your supercorn so you can fill 28 plots. So the first dukes would be gained maybe on day 35-40.

It can now drop from Red bags, which means zombie bears carry it around :D .  Albeit very rarely.  I've gotten exactly 1 ear so far.  For all intents and purposes, yeah its pretty much exclusively from Carl's. You'd be hard pressed to get 5 from red bags in an entire playthrough to get the first seed. And you'd still need to pick the Supercorn Seed recipe from the Cop challenge to do it.

Also, Q6 farmer hat ups your seed return chance by 20%, to 70%.  So you only need to save 1 and a fraction, we'll call it two.  Reduces the numbers a tad, but I'm being pedantic.  Doesn't change your point.

My point, though, is that planting 28 plots only takes about 2 minutes for a free 5k dukes every 3rd day.  The fact that it takes longer to get shouldn't mean ridiculously easy cash once you do get it.  For time spent vs reward, its far more lucrative than questing, looting, pretty much anything, and has zero risk.  It's the kind of thing I'd think TFP would quash.  Same as they did for wood/stone selling prices.