Old things from this game that I "miss."

Posted (edited)

Was watching this video by Guns, Nerds, & Steel from a few months ago and saw some stuff I wish were still around, graphically.

The old Toolbelt: I like that it used to look like an actual belt - from A13 on, it and the UI are just kind of.. sterile-looking.

Some of the old item icons: The old rocket launcher, and boulders especially. Not knocking on the newer graphics and models we have now, but a lot of the older ones actually looked pretty nice.

Vehicle assembly: Needed some work, but looked interesting.

Containers: Opening a container and having the border resemble what you've opened.

What are some old things from previous alphas you all miss?

Edited by Old Crow (see edit history)

Roaming zombies, actually.

Nowadays there's only a few when you walk around a city. In the past, that would have been a very difficult thing to do.

Makes the world feel.. empty. Non-challenging. 

Cave systems. I'll gladly wait an extra 10min on world gen for real random gen cave systems. That is the biggest thing I miss.

The second being persistent corpses that decay into gore blocks. I modded that back in because it just makes horde night so much cooler in the morning when you see all that glorious carnage!

3 hours ago, warmer said:

Cave systems. I'll gladly wait an extra 10min on world gen for real random gen cave systems. That is the biggest thing I miss.

I'd like to have this back, but the way it could mess with structural integrity would be really annoying.  If it wasn't looking for a connection to bedrock, but just to "solid ground" it would be okay, but finding out your base is structurally unstable because you built it over a cave system would be really annoying.

9 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

finding out your base is structurally unstable because you built it over a cave system

That wouldn't be much of a problem now, as the game does show you the stability in colors while building. That would reveal a cave-caused weakness early. Of course they still might be an issue for expansions etc.

On 5/21/2024 at 12:27 PM, DaVegaNL said:

Roaming zombies, actually.

Nowadays there's only a few when you walk around a city. In the past, that would have been a very difficult thing to do.

Makes the world feel.. empty. Non-challenging. 

Yes, I feel like they keep hiding the zombies away for performance so they can squeeze out better graphics, but if Minecraft teach us us anything, it's that millions of people will happily settle for bad graphics if the gameplay is good.  

16 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

I'd like to have this back, but the way it could mess with structural integrity would be really annoying.  If it wasn't looking for a connection to bedrock, but just to "solid ground" it would be okay, but finding out your base is structurally unstable because you built it over a cave system would be really annoying.

Honestly your negative is actually part of why I like it. It requires you to fully understand the ground you are on. Most of the time this will never be an issue unless you only have a single block ceiling on the cave and your base is huge. I usually dig my foundation down to rock at least to ensure crawlers can't easily dig under supports.

1 hour ago, warmer said:

Honestly your negative is actually part of why I like it. It requires you to fully understand the ground you are on. Most of the time this will never be an issue unless you only have a single block ceiling on the cave and your base is huge. I usually dig my foundation down to rock at least to ensure crawlers can't easily dig under supports.

I was thinking more of caves that are nearer to bedrock.  I remember the old days of having places where you could place a block on the ground and it would just instantly break, supposedly because there was at least one block missing between the ground level and bedrock. 

I'd just be really annoyed if I'd dug my standard 5 wide and 5 deep trench around my base only to discover that the place I'd intended to build wouldn't support a structure properly.

4 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

I was thinking more of caves that are nearer to bedrock.  I remember the old days of having places where you could place a block on the ground and it would just instantly break, supposedly because there was at least one block missing between the ground level and bedrock. 

I see what you mean. Now wouldn't the block be outlined in red to give you an indication of a potential problem?

Caves and central city maps are two I miss most.  I'd even be happy if they just made a few huge mine or cave system POI's (the smaller ones are cool, but some big ones with some sort of theme would be really neat) to make up for the lack of dynamic caves.

2 hours ago, warmer said:

I see what you mean. Now wouldn't the block be outlined in red to give you an indication of a potential problem?

Pink, but it should.  But the game right now often shows pink blocks when there actually isn't anything wrong with the structural integrity, so it's not entirely reliable.  Nut that would require me checking every single block where I'm planning to build before building there, and that sounds awfully tedious.  Maybe if they gave us a non-Debug Mode way to see the structural integrity it could work, though.

13 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

Pink, but it should.  But the game right now often shows pink blocks when there actually isn't anything wrong with the structural integrity, so it's not entirely reliable.  Nut that would require me checking every single block where I'm planning to build before building there, and that sounds awfully tedious.  Maybe if they gave us a non-Debug Mode way to see the structural integrity it could work, though.

I hear what you are saying I have found the integrity indicator to be pretty reliable, but I also don't build more than a single base in a play through typically, and those tend to be similar formats Everytime. If caves where very common, I see this issue as a bug, given that they are fairly rare in the old game, I'd consider this a gameplay feature that makes it feel more dynamic.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'd love to have caves.  I just think they'd need to rework structural integrity if they were to re-add them to the game, and I don't think that's very likely at this point.

On 5/22/2024 at 7:45 AM, hotpoon said:

Yes, I feel like they keep hiding the zombies away for performance so they can squeeze out better graphics, but if Minecraft teach us us anything, it's that millions of people will happily settle for bad graphics if the gameplay is good.  

Well said.  TFP has been on a graphics tear the last few years to the detriment of gameplay.  I miss how bleak the world used to be, now it's like a loot pinata in the middle of carnival playland.

I miss searching the map looking for pockets of clay to dig up. Plus searching the burnt forest biome ground for white patches to dig up fertilizer. It was more interesting searching out for these specific things than it being everywhere or feature removed. 

1 hour ago, mickjames said:

I miss searching the map looking for pockets of clay to dig up. Plus searching the burnt forest biome ground for white patches to dig up fertilizer. It was more interesting searching out for these specific things than it being everywhere or feature removed. 

Don't the nodes still show up on the map as distinct colors the size of the boulders?

Coal - black

Iron - orange/red

I was pretty sure they made specific things only spawn in certain biomes.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, warmer said:

Don't the nodes still show up on the map as distinct colors the size of the boulders?

Coal - black

Iron - orange/red

I was pretty sure they made specific things only spawn in certain biomes.

Clay is everywhere except desert sand now though. You just dig dirt for "clay soil" and drop that into the forge. Challenge of having to go look for clay is gone.

And on a similar note, the challenge for all of the others ores is gone too.  They aren't boime specific anymore either.

Edited by SylenThunder (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 4:45 AM, hotpoon said:

The one of the biggest difference between 7D2D and a game like Minecraft is there are no physics to contend with in Minecraft. The physics of each block is what really bogs down your CPU in 7d2d, that is why a large skyscraper popped in drops your frames so hard. If it was just graphics it would only hit your GPU.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

Clay is everywhere except desert sand now though. You just dig dirt for "clay soil" and drop that into the forge. Challenge of having to go look for clay is gone.

And on a similar note, the challenge for all of the others ores is gone too.  They aren't boime specific anymore either.

The challenge for clay was different as you go further back.

I recall one time it wasn't everywhere but you could see it as brown patches on map so wasn't too hard to find. Just couldn't dig anywhere.

Then earlier than that I remember having to find a river and search along the bank digging until I hit the right spot or sometimes there would be like a little cliff wall you could get it.

39 minutes ago, Gamida said:

The challenge for clay was different as you go further back.

I recall one time it wasn't everywhere but you could see it as brown patches on map so wasn't too hard to find. Just couldn't dig anywhere.

Then earlier than that I remember having to find a river and search along the bank digging until I hit the right spot or sometimes there would be like a little cliff wall you could get it.

Yep, that's what I was referring to. It didn't seem tedious to locate the spots on the map and dig out until it ran dry. Enjoyed it more than it being everywhere and required some effort. 

I kinda also miss when minibikes had parts, and if you didn't turn off the headlight, your battery would be dead. 

3 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

I thought Shale was biome-specific still, replacing Coal in the Desert. But yeah that's pretty much it.