Water Jars / Bottles?

I just hopped back into 7, its been about 2 years. Im loving the changes to the default map, the overall gameplay and the performance.

Upon playing I noticed my jars werent returning when I drank water. I run a quick google search and find thats its an intended change not a bug...

TBH Im not too thrilled with it. And have been cheating myself water jars. I understand to an extent the cans as they more got in the way and realistically youre not reusing a can like that. HOWEVER water jars.. glass.. unless they break, you can reuse them. Now I could see a mechanic that makes them randomly break (like IRL if you dropped one or whatever), and it gives you broken glass instead.. or give us the option to craft water bottles either plastic or metal. With the abundance of these in real life ( I have a cabinet full at home ) it doesnt make sense to not have ANYTHING.

3 hours ago, no1warr1or said:

I just hopped back into 7, its been about 2 years. Im loving the changes to the default map, the overall gameplay and the performance.

Upon playing I noticed my jars werent returning when I drank water. I run a quick google search and find thats its an intended change not a bug...

TBH Im not too thrilled with it. And have been cheating myself water jars. I understand to an extent the cans as they more got in the way and realistically youre not reusing a can like that. HOWEVER water jars.. glass.. unless they break, you can reuse them. Now I could see a mechanic that makes them randomly break (like IRL if you dropped one or whatever), and it gives you broken glass instead.. or give us the option to craft water bottles either plastic or metal. With the abundance of these in real life ( I have a cabinet full at home ) it doesnt make sense to not have ANYTHING.

Lots of topics about this with pages of comments for and against if you take a look.  They won't be bringing the jars back.  They decided to remove jars and cans so they are like any other empty container (not there anymore).

2 hours ago, Gamida said:

Am surprised someone hasn't made a mod that gives back gas cans when you use them to fill something

Doesn't Undead Legacy (or another of the overhauls) have actual jerry cans for fuel, and the requirement to have one for looting gas.. not sure of crafting, but I'd assume so?

7 hours ago, Riamus said:

Lots of topics about this with pages of comments for and against if you take a look.  They won't be bringing the jars back.  They decided to remove jars and cans so they are like any other empty container (not there anymore).

Yeah I saw them, I threw another out there to show support. Its extremely disappointing to hear that. Do you know of any mods that bring them back? I really dont like needing to command line myself waters

3 hours ago, Gamida said:

Am surprised someone hasn't made a mod that gives back gas cans when you use them to fill something and you have to use them to make more gas with the shale.

To be fair gas is so abundant, at least the last time I played, I never noticed. The water issue on the other hand... was one of the first things I looked for when looting to get the rotation of clean & murky water going

7 minutes ago, no1warr1or said:

To be fair gas is so abundant, at least the last time I played, I never noticed. The water issue on the other hand... was one of the first things I looked for when looting to get the rotation of clean & murky water going

Yeah I have never ever really had a problem with gas. One time a few alphas ago I wanted to see how much gas I could collect. I stopped counting when I hit 1,250,000 gas lol.

What I was talking about though was not the abundance of gas but just the case of there not being any empty gas cans.

I have always wondered too why the cement mixer needs an engine in recipe but requires no fuel to operate. I'm still waiting to see if that changes by the time game hits gold.

1 hour ago, no1warr1or said:

Yeah I saw them, I threw another out there to show support. Its extremely disappointing to hear that. Do you know of any mods that bring them back? I really dont like needing to command line myself waters

I believe there is at least one in the the mods forum.  Try a search for jars or maybe water in that forum and you can probably find one.

I'd point out that the lack of jars is really only very apparent when you've played the game with them and expect them to be there.  Getting water is not difficult even without the jars once you get used to it.  At least as long as you're scavenging.  You'll find plenty of murky water everywhere.  You can also drink directly from water sources and either use the helmet mod to make it safe or use drinks to deal with the dysentery.  If you feel the need, you can set up one or more dew collectors to get water, though for 1-2 people in a game who scavenge regularly, we find there's no need.  If you're constantly crafting stuff that needs water, you might need the dew collectors to have enough water but for cooking, drinking, and light crafting, you really don't need them for a 1-2 player game.

3 hours ago, Riamus said:

I believe there is at least one in the the mods forum.  Try a search for jars or maybe water in that forum and you can probably find one.

I'd point out that the lack of jars is really only very apparent when you've played the game with them and expect them to be there.  Getting water is not difficult even without the jars once you get used to it.  At least as long as you're scavenging.  You'll find plenty of murky water everywhere.  You can also drink directly from water sources and either use the helmet mod to make it safe or use drinks to deal with the dysentery.  If you feel the need, you can set up one or more dew collectors to get water, though for 1-2 people in a game who scavenge regularly, we find there's no need.  If you're constantly crafting stuff that needs water, you might need the dew collectors to have enough water but for cooking, drinking, and light crafting, you really don't need them for a 1-2 player game.

That's fair, I did notice more murky water when scavenging. I suppose it is hard for me to adjust due it shifting how the game works. I'll have to look into the filter and collectors. The problem is likely my play style, I'll usually scavenge a bunch and gather resources, then I'll go work on building the base and defenses for awhile. I like building so I make BIG bases. Like currently I'm fortifying the hospital in diersville.

Normally I'd grow stuff to eat and then drink waters, filling up at lakes when necessary, so I could keep building.

4 hours ago, no1warr1or said:

Do you know of any mods that bring them back?

A quick Google search shows me...

https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/2934?tab=files

... or if you want you can get to the water variant I use in my solo games. It doesn't restore jars, but it lets you harvest jars of murky water from water sources.

https://github.com/brucezztong/ZZTong.7D2D.Mods/tree/main/ZZTong-Water

1 hour ago, no1warr1or said:

Normally I'd grow stuff to eat and then drink waters, filling up at lakes when necessary, so I could keep building.

Yeh, sadly that's the style most effected; you'll have to farm for a few dew collectors to sustain yourself while working thru days.. 4-500 plastic is the annoying part, beat all the tires and trashbags ... 😃

7 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Yeh, sadly that's the style most effected; you'll have to farm for a few dew collectors to sustain yourself while working thru days.. 4-500 plastic is the annoying part, beat all the tires and trashbags ... 😃

I think parts around cars like bumpers that fell off also gives polymer. As the blue barrels and I think the green trash cans do too. Plastic in game is like IRL, it's everywhere lol

3 hours ago, no1warr1or said:

That's fair, I did notice more murky water when scavenging. I suppose it is hard for me to adjust due it shifting how the game works. I'll have to look into the filter and collectors. The problem is likely my play style, I'll usually scavenge a bunch and gather resources, then I'll go work on building the base and defenses for awhile. I like building so I make BIG bases. Like currently I'm fortifying the hospital in diersville.

Yeah, if you don't want to scavenge past a few days, you'll need dew collectors.  I normally don't switch over to building until I'm a few weeks into the game when I have plenty of resources to build large bases without having to worry about going out to grab more stuff.  By then, I've gotten so much water that it's not an issue.  But if you do stop scavenging early, look at getting a few dew collectors built (the number depends entirely on how much crafting of stuff that needs water that you are doing - drinking and eating aren't an issue).  Once done, you can get the water you need without even having to take time to go to a lake for it.  Just regularly grab the water from the collectors at your base and you are all set.  Just keep in mind that dew collectors, while running, generate "heat" like other workstations and so can lead to more screamers showing up while you are there.  You can avoid that by placing your dew collectors away from your base so they aren't in an active chunk except when you go to collect the water.  But that removes the benefit of not having to go anywhere to get the water.

7 hours ago, theFlu said:

Yeh, wasn't really trying to give a comprehensive list, for that there's XML .. and experience :)

Same. Just thought I would give my 2 dukes on the subject. :)

This dead horse is freaking covered with maggots and bootprints.

It's been debated to death TFP are going to do what they want to do and you can get a water mod I am sure.

Water is not hard to deal with. Now it's just another resource you need to be aware of and collect. It's not something you're always going to be short of. Previously, you would just make a stack of water jars and then forget about water because you had all you need. Not anymore.

The traider will usually have water for sale. There's a vending machine that will always have water or red tea or something. 

When you start, do the first quest and the traider might give you a stack of water as a reward. The first thing you buy is the cooking pot and then buy as much water as you can afford. Do another quest. Again, you might get a stack of water as a reward or a stack of duct tape or a stack of glue. Pick that because then you don't need water to make duct tape or glue. 

Buy as much water as you can from the vendor or the vending machine. If it doesn't have any, get something to drink. The next morning the vending machine will refresh. I think, it is nightly. If I'm wrong, it refreshes often keep checking it.

Look for liquor stores to loot because stacks of liquor will always have murky water. The hardware store will have a line of toilets. At least two of them will have murky water and maybe a pistol. Check out the vending machines you come across in the town, mark the ones in your map that work. You can come back to them for water.

I don't build a dew collector anymore because I'm short of water only the first night and have to keep an eye on how much I drink. I might not make anything that requires water to make glue. By the end of the next day I have all the water I need but I'm always buying water from the trader or a vending machine. It's cheap. Lol

As someone who used to have a similar playstyle, the water isn't a huge issue.  I play solely singleplayer, but I usually build 36 dew collectors.

Magazines are a bigger issue.  You'll probably have to spend close to 2 months in game looting if you want to get all of them.