Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

The pine forest will now only generate country towns, and the largest cities are found in the wasteland. This is by design, and only the beginning of the more linear progression coming to prepare for the future story mode across Navezgane and RWG.

Ok but there is a misconception here from TFP : moving the base.

Moving from biome to biome with his whole stuff is just a freaking pain in the ass, early vehicules are slow and carry nothing. I don't mind moving my base 1 time, but if we follow TFP logic it's like moving his base at least 2 times (and it's worse depending of the map style) it's a nope for me (unless they implement something like a trader service to move his stuff for some bucks).

Concentrating big cities in wasteland is a good idea, but once again they did half the job and we will struggle to follow this line due to the lake of QOL

Edited by Teezer (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Teezer said:

Moving from biome to biome with his whole stuff is just a freaking pain in the ass, early vehicules are slow and carry nothing. I don't mind moving my base 1 time, but if we follow TFP logic it's like moving his base at least 2 times (and it's worse depending of the map style) it's a nope for me (unless they implement something like a trader service to move his stuff for some bucks).

Concentrating big cities in wasteland is a good idea, but once again they did half the job and we will struggle to follow this line due to the lake of QOL

I usually build subbases in distant towns, stay there for some days of the week and return for the horde night to my main and horde base, whereever that is. No need to transfer vast amounts of stuff, just whatever is needed at "home".

I do this because I get bored staying in one location.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

I usually build subbases in distant towns, stay there for some days of the week and return for the horde night to my main and horde base, whereever that is. No need to transfer vast amounts of stuff, just whatever is needed at "home".

Yup, its how I've always done it as well.  I'll even bring horde night supplies with me sometimes and just hangout on a tall building and see how long i can last

31 minutes ago, Riamus said:

That's why many games that are intended to be dark have some form of brightness, contrast, and/or gamma adjustment built into the game.  You can get what you want without having to change settings each game.  Besides, I'm sure the ability to avoid the washed out effect when changing monitor brightness has a lot to do with the monitor and is probably not possible with every monitor.  But that's just an assumption.

Ummm. 7 Days to Die has a brightness control in the video settings (unless they removed it for V1). I believe it's called Gamma. Just set it and forget it.

34 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I'm only on day 3 in two games, so can't say if it changes.  But I do know that in buildings, in areas with no lights nearby, I can still see.  Yes, it is somewhat dark, but I can still clearly see what is there.  Outdoors, it feels like summer in Alaska, or any location above the Arctic circle.

Even if that is the case (I haven't tried it with this game), it isn't ideal to have to change brightness for each game you play.  That's why many games that are intended to be dark have some form of brightness, contrast, and/or gamma adjustment built into the game.  You can get what you want without having to change settings each game.  Besides, I'm sure the ability to avoid the washed out effect when changing monitor brightness has a lot to do with the monitor and is probably not possible with every monitor.  But that's just an assumption.

I'm speaking of 7 Days to Die brightness setting, not the monitor's. No game can predict how dark your screen will be, or what you personal preferences are, which is why every game for which darkness level is important asks you to adjust it the first time you play it. 7 Days to Die brightness setting will not impact any other game you play.

Any chance there's something wrong with the weight of mushrooms in this version?  I had 2 mushrooms planted on that roof.  I guess they grew while I was out doing a quest.  I've used this place as a starter base many times and never had this issue before.

jerrys.thumb.jpg.f9e5e1dba7c295c3d1b4e4f729ceeb86.jpg

32 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

I'm speaking of 7 Days to Die brightness setting, not the monitor's. No game can predict how dark your screen will be, or what you personal preferences are, which is why every game for which darkness level is important asks you to adjust it the first time you play it. 7 Days to Die brightness setting will not impact any other game you play.

I misunderstood what you were saying then.  It sounded like you were saying to adjust the monitor brightness, which is what I was commenting on.

5 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

Harvested over 100 polymer from various things to craft the dew collector, "harvest polymers" challenge still says "11/50".

Killed two zombie dogs and harvested them with a bone knife, "harvest rotting flesh" challenge still says "0/10".

Harvested leather from various things, "harvest leather" challenge still says "0/10".

Nights are way too bright. No need for head light mod, torch or anything.

polymer is those blue barrels, need a stone ax

the leather is from diner booth seats, also stone ax

rotton flesh i havent checked if i did yet or not lol

11 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Just found a legendary crafting part in a locker and another right after in a laundry basket. Can confirm they spawn at low loot stages in these sorts of containers. :)

Same here. I found one in a laundry basket at the hoarder house. Only on day 5 in my playthrough. I was in the burnt Forrest.

2 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

IMHO the start was the reduction of zeds in the world due to UMA in Alpha 14. Though it could also have been Unity changes that made it so we couldn't have 450 max alive back in Alpha 12 or 13.

Someone mentioned a year ago or so, not sure if it was fataal or whoever, but they said there possibly could be some "generic zombies" implemented to make the zombie population more dense. 

Like I guess some low res, easily killable zombies or something. Not sure how they'd do this but sure would be awesome & scary to see. Especially in wondering hoards & in cities. 

Edited by Outlaw_187 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Teezer said:

I understand the desire to pack up your entire base to change biomes.  However, there is no rule against having multiple bases.

In my last playthrough, I had 2 separate bases, one of which was my main base where I chose to hunker down for bloodmoons.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

I kinda wish on vanilla settings for loot that books did not show up as often, sometimes i feel they propel us forward a little to fast, day 3 and i can craft iron tools now, i know the book system goes for how we perk into stuff, but i do feel it a bit to fast to find them, i almost wish they were not in some loot tables like cars and stuff, i find too many too fast sometime lol

4 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

I kinda wish on vanilla settings for loot that books did not show up as often, sometimes i feel they propel us forward a little to fast, day 3 and i can craft iron tools now, i know the book system goes for how we perk into stuff, but i do feel it a bit to fast to find them, i almost wish they were not in some loot tables like cars and stuff, i find too many too fast sometime lol

The only ones I feel are being found too quickly in 1.0 are the armor ones (49/100 on day 3).  Everything else is pretty much what I'd expect and want.  But it depends how much you're looting bookstores and mailboxes.  I looted one bookstore I came across and I'm not going out of my way to loot mailboxes.  I'll loot them if I go past or if I am questing there, but that's all.

Keep in mind that if you don't get enough magazines to keep up with looting, people won't craft anything.  So it's needed to get the magazines quickly enough to stay at least even with looting rates.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Riamus said:

The only ones I feel are being found too quickly in 1.0 are the armor ones (49/100 on day 3).  Everything else is pretty much what I'd expect and want.  But it depends how much you're looting bookstores and mailboxes.  I looted one bookstore I came across and I'm not going out of my way to loot mailboxes.  I'll loot them if I go past or if I am questing there, but that's all.

Keep in mind that if you don't get enough magazines to keep up with looting, people won't craft anything.  So it's needed to get the magazines quickly enough to stay at least even with looting rates.

Oh i agree, i just feel it needs a tweak here and there haha, but i gotta go be a dwarf now

The salvaging/harvesting challenges are really off. Some example:

• Harvest Iron Pipes: requires stone axe on sinks and toilets. Harvesting actual pipes doesn't work, nor does wrenching anything.
  • Steel: only from vending machines. Street lights and transformers do not work.
  • Electrical parts: only from lights. Everything else won't work.
  • Mechanical parts: only from office chairs.
  • Rotten meat: won't work with iron knives.
  • Honey: doesn't work with POI tree trunks. Do you know how long it takes to get 5 honey from wilderness tree trunks? I'm way past stone axe at that point!

I don't know about the rest because I had no trouble with the rest, but in all cases above I had to figure out the exact conditions. In the case of the knife, I usually use the stone axe on gore blocks because it's one hit instead of multiple hits like the knife, and in addition to that I got a toilet knife early on and stopped using the bone knife.

4 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

hmmm, with these new armor sets, how are we offsetting weather and temp, not like I can put on a jacket when its cold anymore

Every armor piece gives a fixed 20 cold and heat resistance. In other words, heat and cold are not relevant at the moment, possible pending the weather update.

31 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

hmmm, with these new armor sets, how are we offsetting weather and temp, not like I can put on a jacket when its cold anymore

Each piece automatically grants 20% resistance to hot/cold from what I understand.  It's a temporary effect until they do the weather changes.

Some guy on X (Twitter) has been asking forever if there will be a setting to remove gore from the game so he can let his kids play. I told him that 7 Days to Die is rated M for mature 17+, and that I don't think there will ever be a setting for that. What's next? Censor Rekt? Have the beautiful party girl zombie dressed all the way up to her neck? 😁

But I will still ask; does anyone from the TFP team knows anything about a possible setting to remove gore?

Thank you.

40 minutes ago, Space4Ace said:

Some guy on X (Twitter) has been asking forever if there will be a setting to remove gore from the game so he can let his kids play. I told him that 7 Days to Die is rated M for mature 17+, and that I don't think there will ever be a setting for that. What's next? Censor Rekt? Have the beautiful party girl zombie dressed all the way up to her neck? 😁

But I will still ask; does anyone from the TFP team knows anything about a possible setting to remove gore?

Thank you.

My youngest son plays and is 10.  It really depends on how they handle such things.  If they understand the difference between a game and reality, I don't think it's a big deal.  But everyone can parent the way they feel is best.  Some games, especially a zombie killing game, may just not be the best choice for some kids.  There's nothing wrong with that.

Devs there is still this annoying bug on Linux where flames are invisible, wherever there is a broken pipe in the house, those flames are not visible, I can only hear a sound. This issue was present in the previous Alpha and it is still here in 1.0 I literally died because I could not see flames :D

Edited by Strengthinside (see edit history)