Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

3 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

There is a rare chance to find them in loot.  In my last default playthrough up to 14 days, I think I only found one.  Others in the same time frame had found more than me.

Okay, that is better than it was made to sound.  Still, it feels like Q6 stuff will be mostly missing until tier 3.  Not sure that is a good move.  It is good to be able to craft it but for those who don't like crafting, you've just nerfed the game for them.  I mean, I'm fine with having Q6 drops reduced and no longer quest rewards, but they need to still be easy enough to get for people who don't want to craft stuff.

6 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I hate theorycrafting as well, but I genuinely am curious how many people are going to feel compelled to save these crafting components until end-game? Like, what is better, a quality level 1 AK-47 or a quality level 1 tact? Quality level 6 tact versus quality level 1 M60? Part of it's min-maxing (if you wait until end-game), part of it would be intelligent assessment and weighing pros versus cons. Like how much better would a quality level 6 double barrel be versus a quality level 1 pump action? Or due to their rare and endgame quest nature, are we going to see players only crafting max level top tier gears because that is the point in progression many players would start finding them? We'll have to wait and see how it plays out. :)

@Roland Perhaps someone like you could help us out there? Did you craft any quality level 6 gear that wasn't end-game tier? (Ex. iron tools, T1-T2 guns, etc.) I'm picking this apart because I find it interesting, not necessarily for constructive criticism purposes. :)

They start showing up at tier 2 as far as I can tell and they aren't super rare. Just uncommon. I gladly stuck one into a stone axe and was very happy for awhile with my purple stone axe and didn't feel like I needed to upgrade to iron immediately. I didn't feel any resentment when shortly after I found enough magazines to push me up to iron tools. 

As far as weapons are concerned I probably would not craft a tier 6 pipe weapon. I would wait until I progressed to tier 6 of the next level and then use it. I wouldn't save it until tier 6 of the top level. There's playing the game to play the game and then there's playing the game to wait to play the game and I don't enjoy playing the second way. I don't rush the progression so I would have a stack of legendary parts sitting around never to be used if I waited for the top level of everything to use them. If people are getting Auto Shotguns and Steel Clubs in the first week with how they play then for sure save those parts for the top gear. But it takes me weeks and weeks and weeks to get that far.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

On 6/16/2024 at 11:45 AM, Chaton Noir said:

I think it's just not a priority for developers at all, and they're focused on other things. They probably could have improved the combat system a long time ago, but instead they took up other things that, in their opinion, are more important. I can't blame them for that, but I still wish some attention had been paid to it. At least to fix such basic things as reloading a pump-action shotgun or aiming.

It is clear that a serious improvement in shooting is difficult and long, but they do not even do the correct aiming, let alone the rest.

What priorities do you mean? Like having twitch integration? I have waited 6 years for bandits, and what did I get in return?

ProMIsEd WeaTHeR OvERHauL

Been watching Streamer Weekend, and I gotta say.. Trader Joel's new voice does NOT fit him. Voice is way too young.

Another thing I noticed, the new armor sets do still have the dye slots, which changes the color of the armor pieces.. but only in your inventory. Will armor be dyable for real later on, or will the dye slot be removed or changed to something else?

Edited by Old Crow (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

Been watching Streamer Weekend, and I gotta say.. Trader Joel's new voice does NOT fit him. Voice is way too young.

Another thing I noticed, the new armor sets do still have the dye slots, which changes the color of the armor pieces.. but only in your inventory. Will armor be dyable for real later on, or will the dye slot be removed or changed to something else?

I kinda like his voice tbh I'm shocked Joel didn't do the voice cuz.... you know.... 

6 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

I kinda like his voice tbh I'm shocked Joel didn't do the voice cuz.... you know.... 

Yeah I was surprised at that too. The voice is fine on its own, it just doesn't fit the character model. Old cowboy dude with the voice of a young George McFly.. nah.

4 minutes ago, Roland said:

The priorities tagged with "Do the opposite of what Cr0wst0rm wants"...

After the years of waiting, each year it feels like less and less updates are being pushed.

To sum up my feelings:
new 3d art for vehicles, animals, players -> cool
texture variations for zombies -> cool but you could have saved tons of time on making the gore models by using the UMA (or whatever is left of it, for example playermodels are using something similar) and having much granular control of it.
another journal rework -> navigation in that @%$# just infuriates me

That's about it. Its mostly art, but many technical problems are still there.

What about hiring some animator who has some experience using IK or has some kind of common sense when it comes to quadrupedal movements?
I have been watching the 1.0 stream and there are multiple occasions where you can notice that the animal legs are STILL sliding on the floor, especially when yaw changes. Why don't you have some kind of locomotiton system already? And why devs direct all resources at redoing art from scratch, for like a third time in a row? It's like beating a dead horse.

The best alpha in my opinion was the 20, because the city generation was very modular, and it made sense.

There is still this little thing below, and I still do hold a grudge
alpha 16 -> bandits delayed to alpha 17
alpha 17 -> bandits delayed to alpha 18
alpha 18 -> bandits delayed to alpha 19
alpha 19 -> bandits delayed to alpha 20 ....

I could go like this for hours...

Either way, I hope majority of the players will manage to enjoy this update.

3 hours ago, Uncle Al said:

It's going to depend a lot if scrapping a Q6 item gives you the legendary part back.

afaik, scrapping any item only returns a single base component regardless of how many different things created that item.

So, I doubt scrapping a Q6 item will return a rare crafting component. (I would like to be wrong in this though. :classic_biggrin: )

Wrench harvesting can return multiple base components, but you can't do that except with vehicles and furniture.

Edited by stretch611 (see edit history)

8 hours ago, kimbar2636 said:

everyone should boycott the streamer weekend, several of us have played this game for years and should have the same access to the game. 

Everyone who feels strongly about it already is. The boycott is literally happening right now. I only watched a little bit but now I'm firmly not watching for the rest of the day. Tomorrow.... we'll see....

47 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

Dye won't work on clothes for 1.0 but may later.

1 minute ago, Riamus said:

Dye won't work on clothes for 1.0 but may later.

Oh I know that, I remember them saying during the devstreams that clothing and armor won't be dyeable. It just struck me as odd that the slot still exists. Hence I was wondering if this was an oversight, if dye was planned for later, or if these slots might become a sort of "transmog" function.

6 minutes ago, Old Crow said:

Oh I know that, I remember them saying during the devstreams that clothing and armor won't be dyeable. It just struck me as odd that the slot still exists. Hence I was wondering if this was an oversight, if dye was planned for later, or if these slots might become a sort of "transmog" function.

We'll, since they said they wanted dye to work later, I would guess it just made sense to them to not change the UI just to have to change it back later.  Since dye shows in the inventory (I haven't seen that myself), it seems they have the start of it already done and just need to apply it to the models.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

52 minutes ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

After the years of waiting, each year it feels like less and less updates are being pushed.

To sum up my feelings:
new 3d art for vehicles, animals, players -> cool
texture variations for zombies -> cool but you could have saved tons of time on making the gore models by using the UMA (or whatever is left of it, for example playermodels are using something similar) and having much granular control of it.
another journal rework -> navigation in that @%$# just infuriates me

That's about it. Its mostly art, but many technical problems are still there.

What about hiring some animator who has some experience using IK or has some kind of common sense when it comes to quadrupedal movements?
I have been watching the 1.0 stream and there are multiple occasions where you can notice that the animal legs are STILL sliding on the floor, especially when yaw changes. Why don't you have some kind of locomotiton system already? And why devs direct all resources at redoing art from scratch, for like a third time in a row? It's like beating a dead horse.

The best alpha in my opinion was the 20, because the city generation was very modular, and it made sense.

There is still this little thing below, and I still do hold a grudge
alpha 16 -> bandits delayed to alpha 17
alpha 17 -> bandits delayed to alpha 18
alpha 18 -> bandits delayed to alpha 19
alpha 19 -> bandits delayed to alpha 20 ....

I could go like this for hours...

Either way, I hope majority of the players will manage to enjoy this update.

You've been waiting for the bandits to show up for years. Whoever they are, they're likely to disappoint you. Because the longer you wait, the higher your expectations. Especially if it makes you feel resentful.

I'm not saying you should give up on waiting or resentment. But is there any point in accumulating this negativity?

21 minutes ago, Riamus said:

We'll, since they said they wanted dye to work later, I would guess it just made sense to them to not change the UI just to have to change it back later.  Since dye shows in the inventory (I haven't seen that myself), it seems they have the start of it already done and just need to apply it to the models.

Ah okay, I missed them saying that. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Annihilatorza said:

@faatal Why has the bandits taken so long to do, I know it is a complex issue but you have been talking about it since A18 at least and now its maybe June 2025, 

Entire games have come and gone in that time frame with bandits.

What has the Major hold up been with them if you can tell us or other issues?

Simple. Time. Steve and I did work on them early A21, but on the schedule for A21 and then 1.0, there was no time to get them to the quality level desired, so delayed.

5 hours ago, faatal said:

Sleeper volumes now have a basic scripting system called Min Script. It is just a list of commands. There are commands to spawn, wait x amount of seconds or wait for a zed count and play a sound. At some point i would like to add looping with a count and reuse of sleeper spawn points.

Visions of Doom, nightmare mode