Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

Whether or not people like the individual game changes is really not the issue.  Many changes are made for the purpose of the endgame, but don't make nearly as much sense without the context of the endgame which is still at least 15 months away, likely more.  Trader specific biomes and big cities only in the wasteland (among many other things) are not meant for satisfaction right now but are part of a bigger picture.  The strategy is not to add all of the end game elements when the end game is ready but rather add them now and get any bugs worked out.  When ready, they can add heat/cold for the desert/snow biomes, radiation for the wasteland, bandits, crossplay, new quest types, storyline between the Duke and Noah, and everything else on the roadmap.

3 hours ago, Grandpa Minion said:

for the life me i do not understand why this build hasn't been pushed to stable yet...

V1.1 EXP b4 had many bugs that needed to be fixed, so couldn't be released as stable (as I predicted). This new experimental (V1.1 b14) fixes a lot of problems and has important changes too. It will take a few weeks before this one is pushed to Stable... But I do think (so far) that this is the one that will.

18 minutes ago, YourMirror said:

Bob did

Brother, Bob is too baked to have the wherewithal to move it. He looks right at me and talks to me while I'm stealing from him.

Someone else is looking out for him and I don't like it!

I'm going to request that you add some debug tools for broken missions.

Doing a level 6 mission which takes hours to complete cannot end with a yellow dot as your reward...

image.thumb.jpeg.2c2eb36cb2d05a66ec9bb2f981208e07.jpeg

I've had this one fail another time without even a yellow dot (nothing to kill though). I've also won this one a couple times, so I doubt I'm missing some secret trigger.

Spoiler

Yes, I checked the guardshack, and all towers.

How about some command line tools such as..
"Trigger know spawn points (yellow dots) if within 10 meters"
"Show all yellow dots if there are less than 10?"
"Show remaining spawns and locations"
"Complete mission" (only works if x% of spawns have been killed) 98 or 99%?

The small chance that someone is going to abuse these is nothing compared to playing for four hours, "winning" and not receiving the end rewards.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

4 hours ago, Morloc said:

How about some command line tools such as..

That's a toughy, as the yellow dot is supposed to be the hint, but as just a point that seems to be the center of what could be a large area, it can end up in an unclear location.

• Maybe after a command is issued or some period of time passes the yellow dot switches to showing the bounding box for the zombie volume and/or adds icons for the objects to which a trigger is attached.
  • Maybe the mission text starts to give more information, such as there are 4 remaining zombies volumes. Many times if you don't see a dot, you haven't cleared enough volumes to get a hint.
  • Maybe there were a command that would let the player increase the threshold at which hints showed. That is, if the POI had that set to 2 zombie volumes, the command would let the player change the current mission's value to 4.

6 hours ago, Morloc said:

I'm going to request that you add some debug tools for broken missions.

[...]
"Trigger know spawn points (yellow dots) if within 10 meters"
"Show all yellow dots if there are less than 10?"
"Show remaining spawns and locations"
"Complete mission" (only works if x% of spawns have been killed) 98 or 99%?

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for but this thread helped me out a few times in the latest POIs: 

Edited by Tete1805 (see edit history)

On 9/28/2024 at 1:40 AM, Morloc said:

Doing a level 6 mission which takes hours to complete cannot end with a yellow dot as your reward...

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, I checked the guardshack, and all towers.

There are 2 POIs that have a new feature that bugs out quests. One is Grover High and I don't know if I ever read what the other one was. It might be this one because it's new. 

It's not intended, but essentially there are secret bounds within the known quest bounds. If you cross those bounds the quest gets bugged. "Minimum script" I think it was called. 

It sucks. It's the only time I ever got legitimately @%$#ed at this game. 

If it's not the new feature then it would have to be an approach issue. I never had to fail a quest in A21 because the last zombie wouldn't spawn. I would always find a way to get them to spawn, even if it took a long time. 

EDIT: I was wrong. It's more than two POIs that use min-script.

Edited by Arez (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Morloc said:

I've had this one fail another time without even a yellow dot (nothing to kill though). I've also won this one a couple times, so I doubt I'm missing some secret trigger.

I had the exact same problem today, and in the same place. I spent a long time trying to find a solution and finally did. We need to use two commands in the console:
sleeper r
To respawn all the sleepers.
Then:
killall
To kill them all.
After that, the quest was completed.

Sleeper r

Yep, that's the droids I was looking for! Somehow I've never run across it in the lists of command lines.

Thanks guys, thanks community, thanks devs!

I just took vengeance on that Army Camp 7, and am returning home to get my Anvil for a reward 😂

Not sure what this means

2024-09-29T19:22:54 118.449 ERR Loading AssetBundle "a21vechs.unity3d" failed: File not found!
2024-09-29T19:22:54 118.449 ERR Loading AssetBundle "a21vechs.unity3d" failed: File not found!
2024-09-29T19:22:54 118.450 ERR Loading AssetBundle "a21vechs.unity3d" failed: File not found!
2024-09-29T19:22:54 118.450 ERR Loading AssetBundle "a21vechs.unity3d" failed: File not found!

Noticing in console...

I apologize if I missed it. I have not upgraded to the last 2 experimental versions on a hosted server, as I don't want to break a shared world. Has the shotgun turret sound of it clanging off of a trader... even though there's no trader in sight... been fixed? Horde night sounds like we're at a carnival. I might even risk upgrading the server game if it has. Thanks!

2 hours ago, P1ckl3t03 said:

I apologize if I missed it. I have not upgraded to the last 2 experimental versions on a hosted server, as I don't want to break a shared world. Has the shotgun turret sound of it clanging off of a trader... even though there's no trader in sight... been fixed? Horde night sounds like we're at a carnival. I might even risk upgrading the server game if it has. Thanks!

It was fixed in V1.1 b4 experimental

• Auto turrets are pinging like bedrock/trader protection when hitting dirt

3 hours ago, Arez said:

I get these little updates on steam, but the version number doesn't change.

What are these?

Steam does tiny patches now and then for a variety of games that aren't really game updates.  I think they are updates of "support" files.

8 hours ago, Arez said:

I get these little updates on steam, but the version number doesn't change.

What are these?

They could be a lot of things, like steam updating some steam files, file checks, proton updates (if using Linux), it's general steam background stuff they do. We're not pushing out random microupdates :). Maybe it's Gabe Newell sending little bits of love before running a game

2 hours ago, Jugginator said:

They could be a lot of things, like steam updating some steam files, file checks, proton updates (if using Linux), it's general steam background stuff they do. We're not pushing out random microupdates :). Maybe it's Gabe Newell sending little bits of love before running a game

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the Steam app updating. Every so often I see the notification for 7 Days to Die updating. It doesn't last very long though.

What made me ask this is that I have been noticing more zombies around the pine forest at night as well as wandering hordes seeming a little more populated, and I remember you mentioning that it was a bug that zombie spawning thins out in the pine forest. I was thinking that maybe the fix was pushed out sneakily at night, from the shadows.

3 minutes ago, Arez said:

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the Steam app updating. Every so often I see the notification for 7 Days to Die updating. It doesn't last very long though.

It's likely to be "Shader pre-caching" updates for your video card... "Whenever possible, depending on hardware and driver support, Steam can download pre-compiled shaders for your specific video card."

You can turn them off in the settings.

6 minutes ago, Arez said:

What made me ask this is that I have been noticing more zombies around the pine forest at night as well as wandering hordes seeming a little more populated, and I remember you mentioning that it was a bug that zombie spawning thins out in the pine forest. I was thinking that maybe the fix was pushed out sneakily at night, from the shadows.

Yeah that's what I mean. Like Pewter said, preaching shaders is also something it does. It's not the game updating, even though it still lists the game and doesn't specify... Likely would be a decent QOL change from Valve so people don't get confused.

On 9/28/2024 at 1:54 PM, Arez said:

There are 2 POIs that have a new feature that bugs out quests. One is Grover High and I don't know if I ever read what the other one was. It might be this one because it's new. 

It's not intended, but essentially there are secret bounds within the known quest bounds. If you cross those bounds the quest gets bugged. "Minimum script" I think it was called. 

It sucks. It's the only time I ever got legitimately @%$#ed at this game. 

If it's not the new feature then it would have to be an approach issue. I never had to fail a quest in A21 because the last zombie wouldn't spawn. I would always find a way to get them to spawn, even if it took a long time. 

EDIT: I was wrong. It's more than two POIs that use min-script.

That bug is one of many things I am working on currently, but it is not a simple fix. Basically you can't get too far away (about 30m) from min script spawned zombies or they will despawn while min script is still waiting for them to die. They do need to despawn in some cases, so it gets complicated. Hopefully fixed in 1.2.

7 minutes ago, faatal said:

That bug is one of many things I am working on currently, but it is not a simple fix. Basically you can't get too far away (about 30m) from min script spawned zombies or they will despawn while min script is still waiting for them to die. They do need to despawn in some cases, so it gets complicated. Hopefully fixed in 1.2.

Welcome back. Thanks for the update.

On 9/24/2024 at 9:25 AM, Chaton Noir said:

Is it possible to release 7 Days To Die on next-generation consoles? Support for the game will last approximately 2-3 years. Perhaps the next generation of consoles will be released by the end of support, or their release will be near. I've heard that the new Xbox may be coming out earlier than the PS6. I think 7 Days To Die will work much better on the new consoles, especially with all the optimizations that will be made over the years.

I don't see any reason why we would not want to support newer consoles if their performance is equal or better than the current gen.

44 minutes ago, faatal said:

1) Will 1.2 be the last update before 2.0?

2) The "big optimizations" promised on Twitter will be in 1.2/1.X or 2.0?

3) And by the way, why are you numbering updates like that? For 1.1, 1.0.1 would be much more suitable, and 1.X is perceived as a major update. I thought 2.0, 3.0, etc. would be called 1.1, 1.2, etc.

And welcome back, you haven't been here for a long time😀