Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

21 hours ago, Arez said:

All 3 of them were like the eye of the storm. Of all the main features of this game, horde night is by far the easiest. 

@Arez

Evaluate your play change each logon, if you are doing more  pois
then possibly set the horde to 30 days. This way it won't
seem repetitive to you. But when it comes it will come
harder. Plus you can adequately shore up to prepare.

The other option is to set horde night every night. Though
this depending on your heat generation can get out of hand
too.

7 days is, just staying true to the Title and theme. If you
like mostly battle royale scenario then every night is the one
and shorten days to its minimum.

It would be nutty if they set it to forever night, or 4 hours
of day light, no time display, and random horde, time and day
simultaneously.

I constantly, will stop and reset my main menu game settings

if I feel one or another is starting to overwhelm another. Each

time I play, even if twice a day, I feel and play differently. Setting

horde to 30 days, is one of my prefs when I want to explore more pois.

19 minutes ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

It would be nutty if they set it to forever night, or 4 hours
of day light, no time display, and random horde, time and day
simultaneously.

I have done similar to this, with "total darkness at night" added. Its not easy at all and is almost just all "hiding and harvesting in a POI atop the stairs i barely managed to break in time" :) the hardest part seems to be the horde night being reallllly long. Though i will say it will make you  really creative in how/when you harvest resources, make bases and picking what POis are worth your time "that can be set up. quickly" but its a very slow  game of being a sneaky chicken. Once you get to having to have a forge, then it gets hard as you now have a semi permanent base to defend/shore up and setting up "defendable" underground mines.

at least how i did it. And it feels very "survival horror" which is great ;)

12 minutes ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

@doughphunghus

That's what would be my intense setting. Did you do it for you, or as a mod?

If as a mod is it still in an archive. Even if its older version, I read, adapt and

adjust settings to traverse alphas for me.

I have some a21 mods i host on my mods page (in the mods forum here) to do some of these things. "Forever night" is too much for me (i tried it) so i like a few hours of daylight mostly so i can try run away to "somewhere else" when i get trapped and surrounded. "Bloodmoon night every night" with these settings is a bit much early game (and single player) so i usually set it to happen randomly and give a random day or two for a breather (for mining, exploring, and poi base set up days, mostly). Because of the "zombie bullet sponge" effect of upping the vanilla difficulty, i like to leave difficulty at default.  There are other mods for increasing hordes/size and usually i try to hide from them, throw rocks early game as they can trap you in a poi fairly easily when you cannot see them coming. But it is fun!

usually the only thing i bump up as i get range weapons/ammo/good base location is the default blood moon zombie count and feral sense (this setting is too much for me early game).

if there were vanilla settings i wish existed (that seem fairly easy to set today) it would be to be able to set the ambient light/darkness (and make underground pitch black), and be able to set day/night hours from 0 to 24 (hour increments), and maybe a "feral sense sensitivity" so its not just on/off. Being able to "restrict or remove" the time , compass and map and allow these after some progression/discovery level would be nice too :). Removing the day too but... i almost feel like knowing the day is ok as its "day 1" from when you "wake up", but having almost eternal day/night does make it harder to keep track of the day. I think there is a UI setting today that removes the compass and day/time (immersive view? Some F key press) without a mod but it also removes the tool belt from view and im not good enough to not be able to see the tool belt at all times :).

GoodDay again to TFP's

I Know this has been an issue for ages ... and maybe it can't be fixed _ BUT ... I sure wish you would or could fix the Raining inside a players Base with a concrete roof. I'm standing in the middle of a 11x11 base area.

Thank You and Enjoy, The OldGamer 😌

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2024.08.03 - 12.53.01.05.png

3 hours ago, LostBoy said:

I believe Drones are Skill book items now, don't recall exactly.

I've gotten three from looting, and I've seen them at the Traders as well.

They are - they are the last item you learn to build with the Tech Planet magazines.

Noticing that the DEW COLLECTOR does not have a LOD model, so it pops in unlike the building and other blocks around them...

When you track an item to craft and gather all the necessary items, is there a quick way to then craft that same item ?, right now I am having to go back into the craft menu searching the the same item I am actually still tracking then crafting it.

10 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

Noticing that the DEW COLLECTOR does not have a LOD model, so it pops in unlike the building and other blocks around them...

When you track an item to craft and gather all the necessary items, is there a quick way to then craft that same item ?, right now I am having to go back into the craft menu searching the the same item I am actually still tracking then crafting it.

Weird, when I find all the components to craft and I go back in the crafting menu the tracked item is the first recipe I see. :suspicious:

56 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

yeahh its usually the first one to pop up as @Jost Amman has stated, the only time its not there anymore is if u switched columns or crafted something else beforehand... cause then u will have to search it up again.  also another thing u can also do is add it to your favorites tab.

The last item you looked at in crafting is what will appear.  Not necessarily what you are tracking.  Also, the last item is different for each crafting station and inventory crafting, so what you looked at on the workbench last will show up when you go there, but not when you just open inventory crafting.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

Weird, when I find all the components to craft and I go back in the crafting menu the tracked item is the first recipe I see. :suspicious:

39 minutes ago, MysticalTreyy said:

yeahh its usually the first one to pop up as @Jost Amman has stated, the only time its not there anymore is if u switched columns or crafted something else beforehand... cause then u will have to search it up again.  also another thing u can also do is add it to your favorites tab.

28 minutes ago, Riamus said:

The last item you looked at in crafting is what will appear.  Not necessarily what you are tracking.  Also, the last item is different for each crafting station and inventory crafting, so what you looked at on the workbench last will show up when you go there, but not when you just open inventory crafting.

Now thats odd,.. Okay I shall see if my eyes are going bonkers with that in mind..

Thanks all.

4 hours ago, gpcstargate said:

GoodDay again to TFP's

I Know this has been an issue for ages ... and maybe it can't be fixed _ BUT ... I sure wish you would or could fix the Raining inside a players Base with a concrete roof. I'm standing in the middle of a 11x11 base area.

Thank You and Enjoy, The OldGamer 😌

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2024.08.03 - 12.53.01.05.png

I imagine this will be addressed in the future weather system overhaul update. 

10 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

I have some a21 mods i host on my mods page (in the mods forum here) to do some of these things.

@doughphunghus

I downloaded the github archive, time to read up and re-learn.

You and I took vastly different routes.

I use to edit the internal text and the actual gradient
for the lighting in the asset files. And inject code directly
into the dlls using IL instructions. I even created a lighting
tutorial that measured the gradient image and converted it to
game time.

But since I never learned sdx, smx, xpath hooks, Harmony
or Unity fully.

I had to do it the long way, that's why I didn't post any of
my mods but one, The cascading effect "The flood" The rest
would have been too intrusive and convoluted for a basic install.

Guess I have to really learn now.

I still like your way better.

9 hours ago, Arma Rex said:

I imagine this will be addressed in the future weather system overhaul update. 

Dude, they've "fixed" this issue so many times already and it doesn't stay fixed. I'm not exactly holding out hope for it to ever be resolved.

1 hour ago, Old Crow said:

Dude, they've "fixed" this issue so many times already and it doesn't stay fixed. I'm not exactly holding out hope for it to ever be resolved.

This is Unity's problem.. It is difficult to determine whether a room is airtight, especially when connecting blocks of complex shapes. Empyrion game has a similar problem.

Why is it made so hard to report a bug? I shall upload output log etc? im a simple gamer, I dont konw what these things are. 

Requireing such a thing is okay if game is in Alpha. Playing a alpha game is somewhat like playtesting, thus bugs are to be expected and documented in a proper way, so the developer can work with it. 

Im not sensible when it comes to bugs. I have been playing this game since late alpha 13 and never felt the urge to report a bug. In a released game im expecting a way to report a bug in a easy way. Like just a small post or something, maybe with some screenshots. 

Im having verry bad experience with the drawbridge. Which cost me a day 26 game (i allways play with delet on death). When i activate it, often it does not open (going down). I get the animation, but at the end of the animation the bridge springs back to closed. sometimes the bridge is actualy open and you can walk through the air, sometimes not. I alswell had it once, that the bride showed to be open, but was not. This way the drawbridge isend usefull. I allways used it tho get over traps i build on my base. But lately i only die in my own traps becouse of this bug. This happens in difrent games with multiple drawbridges.

I dont know how to report this bug propper, as i dont want to use my time to learn how to do it, when it should be a finished game. 

11 hours ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

@doughphunghus

I downloaded the github archive, time to read up and re-learn.

You and I took vastly different routes.

I use to edit the internal text and the actual gradient
for the lighting in the asset files. And inject code directly
into the dlls using IL instructions. I even created a lighting
tutorial that measured the gradient image and converted it to
game time.

But since I never learned sdx, smx, xpath hooks, Harmony
or Unity fully.

I had to do it the long way, that's why I didn't post any of
my mods but one, The cascading effect "The flood" The rest
would have been too intrusive and convoluted for a basic install.

Guess I have to really learn now.

I still like your way better.

The xpath stuff does let you do a lot. I wish it had some concept of "if and else" statements, so you could at least test something before making changes, and maybe a way to disallow loading if another incompatible mod is already loaded... but...

The xpath stuff is probably relatively easy compared to what you have been doing. It seems a lot of the really good overhaul mods do a bit of both (as xpath only allows changes to officially exposed objects and they have mechanics you cannot get to via xpath), so maybe you will be able to pull off something really cool with less dll work/maintenance!

6 hours ago, Crazy Wanderer said:

This is Unity's problem.. It is difficult to determine whether a room is airtight, especially when connecting blocks of complex shapes. Empyrion game has a similar problem.

I think this is more of the correct answer based on things i read here long ago. there are/were? some settings you could tweak to determine when you were indoor/outdoor but i think of you tweak them (say, to make "indoor" happen with a smaller radius of blocks overhead) it causes issues with lighting and stuff dimming too early, and prob other effects. I believe i have had it rain inside just standing a block next to open windows (which is plausible for getting wet) but moving a bit further in it goes away.

maybe its just using some unity default logic and TFP can write some custom logic with the weather rewrite. Personally i wish they could come up with logic for indoors vs outdoors as well as "is underground" and make special temp/light settings for underground as its weird digging a tunnel and having ambient light. And i guess, "breathable air" as well.... which is kinda a "local environment" condition like being underwater, dontcha think TFP? People making deep underground bases probably should have to poke holes for air and to "vent" forge/campfire/generator exhaust..maybe have to have an AC/dehumidification unit running down there too. Digging zeds really aren't a threat with just 1 heavily fortified entrance. Just sayin' :)

4 hours ago, Ihuli said:

Why is it made so hard to report a bug? I shall upload output log etc? im a simple gamer, I dont konw what these things are. 

Requireing such a thing is okay if game is in Alpha. Playing a alpha game is somewhat like playtesting, thus bugs are to be expected and documented in a proper way, so the developer can work with it. 

Im not sensible when it comes to bugs. I have been playing this game since late alpha 13 and never felt the urge to report a bug. In a released game im expecting a way to report a bug in a easy way. Like just a small post or something, maybe with some screenshots. 

Im having verry bad experience with the drawbridge. Which cost me a day 26 game (i allways play with delet on death). When i activate it, often it does not open (going down). I get the animation, but at the end of the animation the bridge springs back to closed. sometimes the bridge is actualy open and you can walk through the air, sometimes not. I alswell had it once, that the bride showed to be open, but was not. This way the drawbridge isend usefull. I allways used it tho get over traps i build on my base. But lately i only die in my own traps becouse of this bug. This happens in difrent games with multiple drawbridges.

I dont know how to report this bug propper, as i dont want to use my time to learn how to do it, when it should be a finished game. 

1. This is not a finished game.

2. It's your problem that you don't want to figure out how it works. The instructions describe everything very simply and clearly. An error message can be easily written in 5 minutes. During the time you were writing this message, you could figure out how to create the right bug report.

Regarding correct mod placement....  Could someone just post a screenshot of the path?  I've been trying to follow all this commentary and find the elusive %appdata% file with no particular luck  I'm currently using the old way it appears.

image.thumb.png.aab060e50ecdf185d49f63c1c1b52479.png

It would be great if someone could post like above where they should be installed.  Thanks

4 hours ago, Ihuli said:

Although I agree that the bug reporting here is a bit excessive, there is a pinned thread in the General Support forum that tells you how to get your log and post it for people.  Logs are critical in determining what the problem is.  Without that, it's just people making wild guesses, and the chances one of those guesses is correct will be very low.  As far as your comment about being in alpha, this game is technically still A22, regardless of name.  It will not be gold until they finish the roadmap.

Even if you don't want to report a bug, you could go to the bugs section to see what bugs are already reported and confirmed.  The drawbridge bug is a known bug that they are working to fix.

7 minutes ago, Exxodous said:

Regarding correct mod placement....  Could someone just post a screenshot of the path?  I've been trying to follow all this commentary and find the elusive %appdata% file with no particular luck  I'm currently using the old way it appears.

image.thumb.png.aab060e50ecdf185d49f63c1c1b52479.png

It would be great if someone could post like above where they should be installed.  Thanks

image.png.f3fdddd30a00baa4fc838a34fa126394.png

image.png.5c5865e9fdcc2bc0cba9f24cf86f2777.png

Not sure what version of Windows you use, so the easiest explanation is to just go to your file explorer and type in %appdata% where it shows your path (same as your screenshot) and hit Enter.  Then open 7DaysToDie and Mods.  %appdata% will have your username in the path, so trying to just show the path isn't as easy. :)

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Yeah that's true, at least it's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. It does seem like they fixed rain falling inside buildings, but maybe that might not be entirely true.

8 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

20240804192945-1.jpg

Got to a the burial site and activated the marker, but then it instantly FAILED ME... 

Now I guess the game thought I was somehow out of bounds, even though right next to the marker... '!'

Probably want to do a proper bug report or start a thread in the support section of the forum.   Not sure why you would bring that to the news thread.