Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

5 hours ago, Zombiepoptard said:

An idea for a quest that I just had. 

Sometimes I don’t want to use my base for horde night and just use an existing poi as a base to hold up in. 

How about a quest objective to go into a  selected poi and survive the wave.

Later down the line you could maybe have npcs in the same place helping you fend off the horde.  Just a thought

It would be better if they added new zombies and didn’t just make them glow red. Isn’t that what they do in Darkness Falls. I’d want them to combined the cops spit with the spider zombie. 

I would like a new zombies too. We still need a super tank zombie but other types help

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

On 6/16/2024 at 9:57 AM, faatal said:

Lathan has an RTX 3080 and was using 4k res with ultra preset and streaming. Not a combination for a great FPS, but they wanted highest quality, not FPS. Opaque glass is also not going opaque right now, so no occlusion for objects behind it, which loses some FPS.

I use a 3070ti with high preset and find it works best at 1440 with the new FSR Ultra setting. Better FPS and quality than at 4k with FSR High, but people will have to experiment for what works best for them.

Is opaque glass still going to make it in time for the experimental release?

TFPs, do you plan to further improve the sounds? The game changes and gets better every year, but the sounds mostly stay the same. Zombie sounds are outdated and boring, besides there are very few of them, there is no variety. The sounds of weapons and vehicles are very bad.
I was pleasantly surprised by some of the sounds you showed in the video showing the console version, especially the sound of thunder. Now thunder is 100 times better. I was also pleased with the other new sounds and the fact that you are finally doing this.
But will this continue? Many sounds need to be updated. The sound spreading system also needs to be updated, because now it essentially does not exist. Now there is only a distance factor that affects the volume of the sound. That's all the game has to offer. Even the blocks don't affect the sound. Do you ever plan to devote more time to these Questions?

I know that there have been mods for sounds for a long time. One of the modders even plans to make different sounds for weapons depending on the distance and being indoors or outdoors. But you could do it at a more advanced level, and please everyone, not just those who have installed mods.

7 minutes ago, Turtul420 said:

Are we finally going to be able to close the magical locked open doors in 1.0?

spacer.png

It's an alternative reality dominated by claustrophobics. They made sure to never be locked in.

11 minutes ago, Turtul420 said:

spacer.png

Pretty sure there was an example of this in the third dev stream. Lathan pushed a button and instead of opening the door, it just unlocked it so he could open it himself like a normal door. Though if I remember correctly, one of the devs posted on here that it was on a POI by POI basis rather than something just rolled out automatically to all doors operated by buttons

11 minutes ago, Turtul420 said:

You're not using oil to lubricate the hinges? :heh:

(I find it annoying too, but some POI designers like stuck doors.)

1 minute ago, Doomofman said:

Though if I remember correctly, one of the devs posted on here that it was on a POI by POI basis rather than something just rolled out automatically to all doors operated by buttons

If the door is connected to a trigger, then the trigger source might be able to close the door after opening it, or not, depending on which asset was used to trigger it.

If the door was just locked in an open state, it's stuck.

5 hours ago, Chaton Noir said:

TFPs, do you plan to further improve the sounds? The game changes and gets better every year, but the sounds mostly stay the same. Zombie sounds are outdated and boring, besides there are very few of them, there is no variety. The sounds of weapons and vehicles are very bad.
I was pleasantly surprised by some of the sounds you showed in the video showing the console version, especially the sound of thunder. Now thunder is 100 times better. I was also pleased with the other new sounds and the fact that you are finally doing this.
But will this continue? Many sounds need to be updated. The sound spreading system also needs to be updated, because now it essentially does not exist. Now there is only a distance factor that affects the volume of the sound. That's all the game has to offer. Even the blocks don't affect the sound. Do you ever plan to devote more time to these Questions?

I know that there have been mods for sounds for a long time. One of the modders even plans to make different sounds for weapons depending on the distance and being indoors or outdoors. But you could do it at a more advanced level, and please everyone, not just those who have installed mods.

If you missed it during the streams, inventory sounds got a pass for 1.0.  Our new audio guy is doing great so far.  I am sure there is more to come in future updates.

1 hour ago, Doomofman said:

Pretty sure there was an example of this in the third dev stream. Lathan pushed a button and instead of opening the door, it just unlocked it so he could open it himself like a normal door. Though if I remember correctly, one of the devs posted on here that it was on a POI by POI basis rather than something just rolled out automatically to all doors operated by buttons

Level design has a way to now "unlock" locked doors now so they can be open/closed by the player afterwards.  Not all triggered setups will have this as it will depend on setup where the trigger is used.  In most cases, players will start to see those "quick exit" doors at the end of POIs have this feature enabled.

4 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

If you missed it during the streams, inventory sounds got a pass for 1.0.  Our new audio guy is doing great so far.  I am sure there is more to come in future updates.

Then I congratulate him on his new job, I have been waiting for his appearance for a long time😃

7 hours ago, NukemDed said:

hello @faatal

havent seen much recently about zombie ai

how much have yoose jokers messed with it to catch us by surprise?

AI has had little changes in the last year.

7 hours ago, RussianMafia said:

Is opaque glass still going to make it in time for the experimental release?

Maybe. It is being looked at right now.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Hope this means we get some changes too stuff like poi triggers.... music at the wedding area for example 

7 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Hope this means we get some changes too stuff like poi triggers.... music at the wedding area for example 

Yep there was a lit up dance floor they showed off on social media which would be awesome to have a music trigger for

53 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

We have talked about something like that.  Hopefully we can have some of that in the next update.  There may or may not be an audio easter egg somewhere out there in the world in 1.0. 😎

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

We have talked about something like that.  Hopefully we can have some of that in the next update.  There may or may not be an audio easter egg somewhere out there in the world in 1.0. 😎

curious.....wonder if its a sort of remix of the base 7dtd soundtrack or maybe just maybe.....one of the older themes.

19 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

See this is what I love! Yall tell us things lmao even if after we pick up out tourchs and pitch forks!!!!

You know it's good when your exited about the new update and update after that

You know, all the talk about new triggered one-time events reminded me to ask:

Is the fact that the propane tank at Scarecrow Farms* explodes if you so much as look at it funny from the street actually an intentional scripted event?

*(I think this is the POI name. The one with 4 trailers for temporary farm workers and the very dense cornfields with only a single living cornstalk.)

11 hours ago, Chaton Noir said:

Zombie sounds are outdated and boring, besides there are very few of them, there is no variety. The sounds of weapons and vehicles are very bad.

Zombie sounds are more annoying than anything. All the hissing and screeching.

Weapons sounds are another thing that are wrong with weapons. Also I think they are not synced up in the right place. 

Edited by Zombiepoptard (see edit history)