Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

They are still shapes but have a property that allows blocks to placed over them.

I'm assuming they were simply given the same property as grass where placing any block on top will remove them. 

That seems a bit more intuitive and easier to implement than a system where two voxel objects can actually sharing one voxel space.

3 minutes ago, FramFramson said:

I'm assuming they were simply given the same property as grass where placing any block on top will remove them. 

That seems a bit more intuitive and easier to implement than a system where two voxel objects can actually sharing one voxel space.

I think so. 👍

4 hours ago, User said:

Not sure if I'm allowed to put in photos of the video I saw from pax so I'll hold off on that for now.

I mean swatchs put something so go crazy 🤪 

6 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

Tough Guy Glasses

But do they show? 

And how about that enforcer set? Do you put glasses on your glasses?

40 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

I mean swatchs put something so go crazy 🤪 

But do they show? 

And how about that enforcer set? Do you put glasses on your glasses?

Yeah, I guess you're right. These are publicly avaliable through youtube/twitch. Guess it was a bit dumb to worry.

Courtesy of Shema & Spartan 85 on youtube / Dollishdes on twitch for these. Surprisingly: Redone crates? Could be wrong, I haven't played in a minute, but I swear they look different. Looks like you can get armor from any chest too. Sorry for the quality.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Edited by User (see edit history)

18 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

The new armor system is 4 parts and I was able to find the mining helmet , each slot has a particular bonus and wearing all 4 pieces gives a full set bonus,

I could kiss you, this is exactly the thing about armor my brain just could not wrap itself around despite everyone's explanations, but this one was the one. Each piece does have a bonus, but all 4 has an extra bonus (just like the excavator's power armor from fallout 76!). This was like the one thing I was worried about (that the individual pieces would not have bonuses themselves), and a lot of other people too it seems, from all the replies. @%$#ing awesome, I'm sold on A22 I don't care what anyone tells me about literally anything else!

2 hours ago, User said:

Yeah, I guess you're right. These are publicly avaliable through youtube/twitch. Guess it was a bit dumb to worry.

Courtesy of Shema & Spartan 85 on youtube / Dollishdes on twitch for these. Surprisingly: Redone crates? Could be wrong, I haven't played in a minute, but I swear they look different. Looks like you can get armor from any chest too. Sorry for the quality.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

I really like the new layout for the armor.  And yeah the create does looks new. 

I want to see all the new armors and how the mods work

5 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Yes. Works like grass.

4 hours ago, User said:

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Make my month and tell me the lumberjack set has a bonus in there that lets you be a beast with axes.

Axe love after all these years would be A C E S.

On 2/25/2024 at 12:03 PM, Roland said:

That's like saying that not wearing any of the pieces gives a "zero set bonus" so even if you wear nothing you're still getting a set bonus. Your semantics are fine but you think that if you put "set" all in caps it changes the meaning. I can do that too: PARTIAL set bonus.

What Matt wants is to get the FULL set bonus for wearing everything but the flipflop because otherwise he will feel forced into wearing the flipflops. Go back and look at the two lists of bonuses you posted for Diablo. Does Diablo let someone get all the bonuses from the second list if they aren't wearing everything from the set? If so, you've got me and I'll retract my statement. If not, then you're just agreeing 100% with me while capitalizing the word set.  

If it helps, I will amend my statement to emphasize that what I meant was that no game in existence gives a full set bonus for only wearing a partial set. Some games will give a partial bonus (including 7 Days to Die A22) for wearing a partial set 

I have an idea Roland, look into the way Division 2 green sets are done. In Div 2, you only needed four pieces of the green set to gain the entire set bonus, each armor also has a separate bonus i.e. ammo capacity, critical hit damage the more of the set you wore.. The chest and backpack would give you an additional bonus stat as long as the original set bonus was active.  Since 7D2D doesn't have a 6 piece armor slot set to directly compare Division 2.. and that 7D2D really only has 5 armor slots (Helm, Chest, Gloves, Legs, Boots), everything else is clothing which only gives you optional pocket slots if crafted, and depending on the type of clothing.. heat and cold resistances and bonuses to bartering, movement speed, etc.. currently. So one could assume you would only need at least three out of the five pieces for the max set bonus, any other pieces of the set could be a complimentary additive bonus if worn with the 3 piece set.

Also, could it be possible to add clothing sets in conjunction to those armor sets that will either compliment the current set to boost the stats further OR provide additional stats? I had thought about being able to craft set bonuses to certain clothing as well, but unlike actual armor you could only craft one piece of clothing for a set as it would only obtain the completion set bonus.. for instance.. the one piece of crafted clothing would act like either the "Ninjabike Messenger Back Pack" in Division 2, or "The Royal Ring of Grandeur" for Diablo 3.. Only caveat to crafting clothing with a set bonus over an armor piece is they'll only gain the complete set bonus, but loose out on any bonus stats that would come with wearing the actual gear piece instead. 

I mean FP could just outright skip all this armor bonus stat confusion and just make the bonus sets like the current book system. You can still make the new armors, but even if they have set bonuses, they're capable of scrubbing the set and replacing the set with their set bonuses. Either way, players will have to search for specific stat books that will unlock those sets and their bonuses, upon completion of that set, they can either activate the set bonus through the UI, or craft their set checking a box to apply a set bonus to that gear before crafting that item or items to wear them. Only one set bonus can be activated in the inventory UI aside from wearing other sets. Make it were they can apply that set bonus to any piece of gear or clothing they wish to craft, so they can utilize any piece of the new gear rolled to their preferred set they want to use. Again the only bad thing about crafting gear set bonuses to clothing would be that you loose out on potential base stats, as you'll only receive the completion set bonus being applied to that one piece of clothing.

Again, these are all ideas, and maybe one question crammed in there somewhere..

More pictures courtesy of Dollishdes's pax streams on twitch.

Looks like the old loading screen with some old zombie models remains. Looks like the inventory item lock hasn't been changed either, which is kind of diappointing since its a bit awkward. but its still a while before summer.

Honestly, I was kind of hoping for more gameplay changes. But I guess stuff could change as we approach summer. The key racks by doors are still a thing, they still seem to be locked (open), and you can't pick them but I still hope for a lockpicking overhaul, and a removal of some weird/jank aspects, like doors being stuck in an open state after grabbing the key. Still no zombie body looting, looks like it won't be returning, sadly (I'm probably the only person who cares about this, but I think it'd be nice.

Still think it'd be cool if the game got back some of its scarier/immersive elements, like the raw meat attracting zombies system. Looks like furniture items such as cabinets and appliances still become un-interactable after looting, so still a bit of an annoyance for house refurbishers, but I think I saw some cabinets staying interactable after looting? So, there's a chance, but I only saw that with someone reading a magazine in a cabinet, so it might be different from taking all the items. Seems like mostly a visual update outside of armor changes, at least from what I've been able to see, but this could change in the coming months.

I haven't seen any footage with the new pigs, boars look the same.

Not sure if interior lighting has been improved. Some shots make it look like it has, hopefully the sudden darkness in rooms with open windows or massive holes in the walls goes away, or at least gets improved.

Could only get that one screenshot of the skill screen, not sure if anything's changed.

Blood moons menu looks pretty standard. Has a store, so microtransactions? Oof.

Once again, sorry for the quality.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

38 minutes ago, User said:

The key racks by doors are still a thing, they still seem to be locked (open), and you can't pick them but I still hope for a lockpicking overhaul, and a removal of some weird/jank aspects, like doors being stuck in an open state after grabbing the key.

We have a new function that allows locked doors open by triggers to be switched to the unlock state afterwards.

Not all applicable POIs have been updated with this yet.  It will also be a case by case thing since depending on the use case.

14 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

We have a new function that allows locked doors open by triggers to be switched to the unlock state afterwards.

Not all applicable POIs have been updated with this yet.  It will also be a case by case thing since depending on the use case.

That's good. It's just a small thing that gets to me sometimes. Espescially if I want to use a locked open door as my entrance. I'd honestly prefer if it was just unlocked from the get go in every case, but that's just me. I also just think it hurts immersion/intuitiveness a little, since you'd expect the door to just be unlocked when you grab the key, but for now, they just magically open as soon as you grab the key without even touching the door.

1 hour ago, User said:

Not sure if interior lighting has been improved. Some shots make it look like it has, hopefully the sudden darkness in rooms with open windows or massive holes in the walls goes away, or at least gets improved.

I believe this has been improved in 22 but don't recall the specific details on how.

3 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Thank you!

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

5 hours ago, Laz Man said:

What about Lock picking to open doors?

A storm is on the horizon.

If I understand correctly, we PC people will get an A22 experimental build, and then, when it's stable, the consoles will get it.

If that's the case, The Fun Pimps should get ready for a storm of complaints from the console crowd. Why is the PC getting it first? Bla bla bla... Boo hoo hoo!

We are used to backlash from the console community but, In my view, it will fill the X platform with negative comments.

With all that said, I'm happy that the game is getting a proper console release; everyone should play 7 Days to Die, not just PC / Mac / Linux owners.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

1 hour ago, HB_H4wk said:

Not aware of any plans to add that in but maybe in the future.

1 hour ago, Space4Ace said:

A storm is on the horizon.

If I understand correctly, we PC people will get an A22 experimental build, and then, when it's stable, the consoles will get it.

If that's the case, The Fun Pimps should get ready for a storm of complaints from the console crowd. Why is the PC getting it first? Bla bla bla... Boo hoo hoo!

We are used to backlash from the console community but, In my view, it will fill the X platform with negative comments.

With all that said, I'm happy that the game is getting a proper console release; everyone should play 7 Days to Die, not just PC / Mac / Linux owners.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

Experimental build for the consoles?  I would imagine most console players would prefer a stable version after waiting as long as they have.

2 hours ago, HB_H4wk said:

+1 from me here, really hope we get this at some point. Would make lockpicking a lot more fun, and would let us go through pois in a less linear manner. Maybe make it exclusive to certain types of doors, or make it upgrade as you level up lockpicking, maybe starting with wooden doors and progressing from there. it'd be cool to pick garage doors even though that makes no sense, since garage doors have an absurd amount of hp usually.

I only want lockpicking expanded in the game if we get a proper minigame for it or something. I don't need more opportunities to sit there twiddling my thumbs watching a timer count down. And yes, I know there's a mod for that... 😂

I think if they want to make it so you can unlock doors, they need to redo lockpicking.  Right now, you can go through 10-20 lockpicks on one container of you have bad luck.  I'm not about to waste time and lockpicks on a door the way it is now.  It is far easier and generally faster to break down the door.  And since noise doesn't matter for waking up zombies, there is no real value in lockpicking a door right now.

8 hours ago, User said:

...Still no zombie body looting, looks like it won't be returning, sadly (I'm probably the only person who cares about this, but I think it'd be nice.

...Not sure if interior lighting has been improved. Some shots make it look like it has, hopefully the sudden darkness in rooms with open windows or massive holes in the walls goes away, or at least gets improved.

No plans to add back zombie looting. I find it tedious.

Block ambient occlusion has returned, so interiors are darker separate from ambient light. We still change the ambient light for indoor/outdoor, but subtle.

30 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

I only want lockpicking expanded in the game if we get a proper minigame for it or something. I don't need more opportunities to sit there twiddling my thumbs watching a timer count down. And yes, I know there's a mod for that... 😂

I'm not really a fan of the lockpicking mini games as seen in games like Skyrim.  They are fine in a game where you don't pick many locks, but when almost every POI has at least one locked chest and potentially multiple safes, it would get old really fast.

For a game like this, I'd prefer to use the method of not being able to unlock something if you don't have enough skill but once you do have enough skill, you can unlock that level lock every time.  Better than Skyrim style where you can get lucky and unlock a max level lock on the first try with basically no skill if you luck out in where you place the lockpick.

Lockpicks can be single use to not make lockpicks last forever with max skill.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)