Starfield is making 7D2D look great

Jost Amman

I bought Starfield for around 70 bucks, and I've played it some.

I've also read player comments on the SF forums, and I must say that the work The Fun Pimps have done on game variety and the number of available mechanics to play, should make Starfield developers be ashamed of what they've done with all that money, time and man-power.

Most people there, agree that after many years, a huge amount of hype and a crapton of money thrown at the game, they've created what currently looks like an above-average looter-shooter adventure game, that people have paid way more than what it deserves.

After this, I think some people may change their minds about how good TFP team is.

7D2D is in my opinion THE REAL DEAL.

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Arma Rex said:

With the images of the new character models TFP has provided us with, it blows Starfield's characters out of the water. 

This reflects especially poorly on Beth, because while TFP's forthcoming character models do look great, they're hardly some S+ tier crazy stuff, just roughly the industry average for player characters and NPCs these days.

Buenos días, no soy un jugador experimentado, tendré 1000 horas jugadas, pero me parece un trabajo gradisimo que estás haciendo, con mucha curiosidad por ver que tan esperado Alpha 22, no tiene nada que envidiar ni campo estelar, ni guerra, este juego me parece mucho más completo en muchos sentidos, y ojo que no soy un experto, No soy un desarroller, ni modder ni nada ,soy un cincuenton que ha encontrado un juego, lo estoy disfrutando mucho.... Gracias.

1 hour ago, Eduho said:

Buenos días, no soy un jugador experimentado, tendré 1000 horas jugadas, pero me parece un trabajo gradisimo que estás haciendo, con mucha curiosidad por ver que tan esperado Alpha 22, no tiene nada que envidiar ni campo estelar, ni guerra, este juego me parece mucho más completo en muchos sentidos, y ojo que no soy un experto, No soy un desarroller, ni modder ni nada ,soy un cincuenton que ha encontrado un juego, lo estoy disfrutando mucho.... Gracias.

Good morning, I am not an experienced player, I will have 1000 hours played, but it seems to me a great job you are doing, very curious to see that long awaited Alpha 22, has nothing to envy nor starfield, nor war, this game seems to me much more complete in many ways, and eye I'm not an expert, I'm not a developer, or modder or anything, I'm a 50-year-old who has found a game, I'm enjoying it a lot..... Thank you.

:) 

It's such a shame too. Imagine TFP with the ambition they have for this game.  And they had the budget ans man power of Bethesda

Some of the staff from TFP did work for ID and Bethesda 

I love this game.  It has its limitations and  TFP are really stubborn on some topics 

But they still put a ton of soul Into this game. Something that can't be said about most games now 

21 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

It's such a shame too. Imagine TFP with the ambition they have for this game.  And they had the budget ans man power of Bethesda

Some of the staff from TFP did work for ID and Bethesda 

I love this game.  It has its limitations and  TFP are really stubborn on some topics 

But they still put a ton of soul Into this game. Something that can't be said about most games now 

They're also not obsessively monetizing it with microtransactions or gatcha-style mechanics, which honestly getting quite rare for any game which is online and actively receives regular content updates.

2 hours ago, FramFramson said:

They're also not obsessively monetizing it with microtransactions or gatcha-style mechanics, which honestly getting quite rare for any game which is online and actively receives regular content updates.

The only real reason we get so much Content in updates it's cuz it's still alpha.  I'm afraid when gold comes.  Nothing new will be added aside from QQL stuff 

7 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

The only real reason we get so much Content in updates it's cuz it's still alpha.  I'm afraid when gold comes.  Nothing new will be added aside from QQL stuff 

Except, maybe, the bazillion mods being made for it?  Bazillion is the official count.  I'm also fond of using the term "metric crap-tonne".  Either will work in this case.

But, honestly, who cares if they release anything besides QOL updates after it goes gold?  They made a nearly infinitely modifiable game and gave us many years of fun watching them turn it into something worthy of being proud of.  And then let those of us with a different vision make something new from it.  It's like the Phoenix of the Multiverse.

15 hours ago, Maharin said:

Except, maybe, the bazillion mods being made for it?  Bazillion is the official count.  I'm also fond of using the term "metric crap-tonne".  Either will work in this case.

But, honestly, who cares if they release anything besides QOL updates after it goes gold?  They made a nearly infinitely modifiable game and gave us many years of fun watching them turn it into something worthy of being proud of.  And then let those of us with a different vision make something new from it.  It's like the Phoenix of the Multiverse.

I'm mostly talking about Vanilla I'm mostly going to be playing console when it comes out. My pc Is @%$# I have to save money on other things. 

Unless they really want to go full on with modding like they said 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

Bethesda games should never be looked at uncritically.

That being said, Bethesda has always made their worlds to be virtual playgrounds for modders.   I hope yall get what you need from that, at least.

As for me - I have so many reservations about Starfield I have no reason to ever purchase it.  

Well the real deal is Baldurs Gate 3 tnh. 95% positive reviews is an impressive number. I am basically gonna be non existent online and in RL  during the christmas holidays when i will play it.

Starfield isn´t doing to bad either with 79%, i see people critizing it left, right and center, but reviews on steam, websites and video ones do not reflect that opinion. Well gotta see for myself at some point. Really more hyped for Nightingale soon and BG 3 at christmas.

20 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Well the real deal is Baldurs Gate 3 tnh. 95% positive reviews is an impressive number. I am basically gonna be non existent online and in RL  during the christmas holidays when i will play it.

Starfield isn´t doing to bad either with 79%, i see people critizing it left, right and center, but reviews on steam, websites and video ones do not reflect that opinion. Well gotta see for myself at some point. Really more hyped for Nightingale soon and BG 3 at christmas.

I'm still trying to play Starfield, and I'm not saying it's bad, or even mediocre... it's just that it's not up to all the hype that preceeded it.

There are several things that look "cheap", for not having a better word.

In 7D2D you can clearly see that a lot of work has been put into creating a varied and interesting world, and that they're trying hard to avoid repeating content.

For us veterans of the game, of course, it's difficult to find content that will surprise us. But for the average gamer it's a boon.

Starfield is a good game, mind you, but with all the time, budget and developers they have, in my opinion they fell short of most people's expectations.

It's a shame I'm not into the types of games like Baldur's Gate, because sounds like fun.

28 minutes ago, Ramethzer0 said:

Can confirm.  I'm loosing valuable sleep time over this gem.

How is the story and gameplay?  I am sure I'll love the game and am just waiting for a sale before I pick it up, but it would be nice to have some feedback on how the game is.

I'm playing 2 different campaigns, (one solo, and one with my lady) and I am learning that this game is going to have infinite replay value.   I have decades of GM experience in the complexities of tabletop and LARP, and I'm totally blown away.  I'd also say that if you have ever tried your hand at (their original title) Divinity: Original Sin, you'd not be so hesitant for BG3.  The game play is so nuanced I find it wonderfully frustrating.  The developers absolutely know their market, and they are continuing their efforts to patch the game to pull the stops out of a large chunk of outcomes that didn't get the initial QA pass.  The action also starts the moment you spawn into the story.  Despite the removal of the alignment system in D&D, you can approach the story from a wide variety of philosophical angles, and you will still be met at every step with choices and consequences.

Larian Studios has gone so hard into details within the plot, that it blows away anything from Bethesda, Bioware, and Ubisoft away without ever looking back.  There is so much to do in Act 1, that its given me severe FOMO and I've suffered from choice paralysis.   You can't go 10 feet without tripping into or missing something.   There's secret treasures hidden in spaces you'd never think to look.  The story can go so deep, and your choices can get so strange and/or complex and can have multiple outcomes.  The adult content can range from tasteful to outright fringe, so it's a hard sell for me to recommend it for children.   I'd also be remiss if I didn't warn folks that no matter what character you make, you're going to be stuck with a typical british accent.

As a side note, if you've played the first two Baldur's Gate titles, this one is a very respectful spiritual successor.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I'd also say that if you have ever tried your hand at (their original title) Divinity: Original Sin, you'd not be so hesitant for BG3.

As someone who backed Original Sin and Original Sin 2, I have to say the only Larian game I've ever actually enjoyed was the first 2 acts of Dragon Commander (a game that failed miserably.)  Granted, the only other Larian game I've played besides those 3 is Divinity 2 Ego Draconis, which had the floatiest controls I've ever encountered.

I also hate 5E D&D (more than I hate 2E, which is surprising to me, becuase I used to reserve the term "loathe" to describe my feelings towards 2E D&D), so that's a big part of why I'm unlikely to ever buy BG3, and if I ever do, it'll be for < $10 including whatever DLC it may end up getting.

Edited by Vaeliorin (see edit history)