Do I want to make some cornbread so I don't starve or make some glue for my pipe gun

ElCabong

In my single player world I gave up on bacon and eggs as an interim food because getting a farm going is so far off at the pace it unlocks at. I lived on grilled meat by putting one point into animal tracker to help find every last chickens and rabbit I could get (deer are pretty common at night now); one point into huntsman to get a little more meat per kill; and into cooking to reduce the grilled meat cost by one piece of meat - put more points into cooking and it's as little as three meat pieces per grilled meat. I mixed in some grilled corn once I could get it -- corn is pretty plentiful even if you don't farm it, and it does unlock relatively early. Worked well enough for me. 

25 minutes ago, OneManStanding said:

In my single player world I gave up on bacon and eggs as an interim food because getting a farm going is so far off at the pace it unlocks at. I lived on grilled meat by putting one point into animal tracker to help find every last chickens and rabbit I could get (deer are pretty common at night now); one point into huntsman to get a little more meat per kill; and into cooking to reduce the grilled meat cost by one piece of meat - put more points into cooking and it's as little as three meat pieces per grilled meat. I mixed in some grilled corn once I could get it -- corn is pretty plentiful even if you don't farm it, and it does unlock relatively early. Worked well enough for me. 

Putting a one point into Huntsman is not a bad idea. I did not do that but I did shoot a chicken. I had some corn but I don't recall being able to use it because I didn't have a grill. I looted some cornmeal, I could make cornbread.

13 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

Putting a one point into Huntsman is not a bad idea...

One point in Animal Tracker to help find animals - stop still, crouch down, wait for the countdown ... and if there's any chickens or rabbits or snakes in the local area you will see them on your map, on your compass as you get closer, and when you're close enough in plain view as a green icon in front of you. There's way more chickens and rabbits around than you think - although chickens are easier to shoot than rabbits - and there's snakes and deer at night. One point in Huntsman will let you harvest more meat from each animal you kill. And a point in cooking will reduce the amount you need to make a grilled meat slice - 10 points of fullness per slice. Every time you're out and about, just stop and use the animal tracker. Remember to stop still to use it - if you crouch and then stop moving it doesn't work; stop moving and then crouch. I thrived just on grilled meat :) 

It is usually a bad idea, especially early game, to eat any food that reduces water - baked potatoes, charred meat, corn on the cob, cornbread.  Meat is extremely easy to get in large quantities.  Better to get a grill and cook grilled meat than any of those other items.  Wasting that much water to eat those items is just not a good choice.  Bacon and Eggs is the next best item once you can make it and eggs are easy to come by.  Far easier than in A20.

13 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

TFP could easily simplify this. Why bother with any of this when you could just eat glue?

I haven't done that since I was 5.  That glue of course, was meant to be eaten.

Why else would it taste like mint?    :)

Oh, I've got over 1k meat, and 125 eggs (just made some pies to use a few)..

Nests are all over the place. Loot'em.

I toss the feathers now. I've got over 1k of them too.

(loot is at 100%)

Water, well, yeah, I'm running low.  Got 6 collectors now, so should be able to do a glue making soon.

(have 2 full stacks of bones, so...)

Early?  Make the glue, make the machinegun, then go kill stuffs.

:D

I use all of the murky water i find to make boiled water, as opposed to using the dew collector water.  Dew collector water is turned into tasty beverages.  And unless you are playing on highest difficulty, being a little thirsty/hungry is not the end of the world. 

My playthoughs at the early stages are rather thirsty and hungry until i figure out what im doing for food.

1 hour ago, warmer said:

Shoot a chicken. Now you have bones for glue and meat :)

Heh. Probably better to use cheap arrows for that in early game until you have enough ammo for use against zombies where it is actually needed. 😀

• ElCabong changed the title to Do I want to make some cornbread so I don't starve or make some glue for my pipe gun
1 hour ago, Roland said:

You already made your choice when you wrote your title for what you would do and don’t. Lol

That title didn't make any sense so I just fixed it. I'm not sure what happened except I was drinking rum. I don't drink rum and play the game. Usually.

2 minutes ago, canadianbluebeer said:

Then yer doin' it wrong.  😜

(or are you saving the rum for valheim boat trips?)  :D

I haven't got around to playing valheim yet. Whenever I drink rum and play this game I get this feeling of invincibility and wind up getting my ass handed to me.