Do I want to make some cornbread so I don't starve or make some glue for my pipe gun

ElCabong

Loot the streets (literally - cars, trash bags and containers, mail boxes...).

Sell loot to trader.

Buy food and beverages.

Do fetch quests - they are easy XP and rewards with no to very little fighting if you aren't stupid.

Don't use a camp fire before you can make red tea. Then make red tea and grilled meat until you can make better meals. Red tea will be usefull even in the endgame - use it before every meal to get more nutrition out of your food.

One point in cooking can accelerate finding the books - but you don't really need it. Also don't need any other food-related perks. Take cardio instead so you can sprint longer - you move around a lot in this game and cardio also affects bicycle stamina use.

When you see a chicken, equip your knife and sprint it down - you should be faster than it. Also harvest everything that looks remotely like flesh - you need the bones for glue, rotten flesh for hobo stew when you got a farm going.

If you want the real money, go salvage ops, get a wrench and wrench everything which contains electrical or mechanical parts.

With salvage ops you can also get most other crafting materials by dismantling stuff.

Farming can actually be worth it - if you max living of the lands before starting the farm. But don't plant corn - you can harvest it in masses on the fields surrounding the cities. Mushrooms and potatoes are the important farm crops.

If you don't like farming and don't mind the clicking, you can just keep eating grilled meat and what the traders and vending machines offer till endgame.

8 hours ago, Abusimplea said:

it before every meal to get more nutrition out of your food.

The tea is rather poorly worded, it reduces consumption of your food bar for the duration, so use it whenever you plan on using a lot of stamina / maybe when planning to get cold. Or rather just when starting a fight for the "well hydrated" buff, +15% stamina.. the food savings are a bonus :)

3 hours ago, theFlu said:

The tea is rather poorly worded, it reduces consumption of your food bar for the duration, so use it whenever you plan on using a lot of stamina / maybe when planning to get cold. Or rather just when starting a fight for the "well hydrated" buff, +15% stamina.. the food savings are a bonus :)

Actually, that makes it even better and thanks for the correction.

The red tea description is indeed very vague to the point that it could easily be part of a telco's terms and conditions.

22 hours ago, ElCabong said:

I haven't got around to playing valheim yet. Whenever I drink rum and play this game I get this feeling of invincibility and wind up getting my ass handed to me.

I get that with beer.  oops!

15 hours ago, Maharin said:

The solution, obviously, is to eat the glue.

There's no mint in it, thus not edible glue.  😛

Make the glue, take gun, go loot a house's kitchen, get food. Profit. In vanilla a21 most of my food intake is from stuff I find as I loot, I just eat it on the spot. Yeah I carry a bit of food just incase, but mostly I can survive raiding kitchens early game.