Just Checking In

XEpicuriusX

Hey all.

I have been playing 7DtD since about A7 or 8 or so and have about 4500 hours in game.  I say all that only to show that I have a little bit of bona fides on the subject of 7DtD.  Not that you need to know that or anything.

Anyways, I am just really jonesing to play A21.  I am really excited about the new progression mechanic and can't wait to give it a try.  I don't come to this forum page often because there was a time that it was just filled up with negativity and arguments of what TFP were doing.  I rather liked it before the game really blew up when the forums were full of stories and experiences that just oozed post apocalypse vibe. 

So here I am.  Posting and asking if anyone else remembers their first time logging on (with the old music) to 7DtD and feeling so alone and maybe a bit scared.  Spawning in a snow biome and not knowing that the forest biome is the easier way of life.  Having to start a campfire to stay warm (which was awesome!). Then your first try on a PVP server.  Wow I had so much fun digging out an underground base and trying to hide it so others didn't know where it was.  In hind sight, I recognize that the owner of the server and his friends were probably using the cheat menu to get what they had.  But my naïve self just kept chopping down trees and digging holes, and also getting lost in the random caves that used to be in the game (loved these btw).  Having my first horde night in the rafters of the old "Tin Shed POI" because I didn't know how to build stuff (still don't really like this aspect of the game really).  I remember running so far (before the bicycle was added) to get to the next town that you would have to spend the night in the other town (not realizing that all you had to do was get on top of a building and be 100% safe.  It was an exciting time.

Would anyone be interested in sharing their "first time" story?  Not a book mind you, but a good TL;DR?  I would love to hear some of you guys stories.  

I have nostalgic feelings about the junkyard in the desert in Navesgane a bit south of the waterfall. It was the first POI I came upon the first time I spawned into the game. I died there. 

My first underground base on a mp server was in the burnt forest with the entrance hidden behind a busted stove in a random remnant a ways back from the main road. It was near the main giant beehive area so there were often bees around. I remember coming home one day and being shot dead before I even knew someone was in my base. Good times!

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

@Roland Ah thanks for the reply Roland.  I also remember when you were just a poster on this forum like all us other folks that loved what TFP were doing.  Some of the best forum conversations I have had have been with you.  I acknowledge that you took on a bear of a responsibility when you took on being THE moderator.  Thank you for what all you do and have done.  Keep up the great work.

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I got in around A16 so I don't have the previous experience that you all have.

Hey! It doesn't matter when you start, your first experience is always interesting. Tell us about zombies running in circles and rubbing against cacti in order to LBD-up your armor... 😉 

6 hours ago, Roland said:

I have nostalgic feelings about the junkyard in the desert in Navesgane a bit south of the waterfall. It was the first POI I came upon the first time I spawned into the game. I died there. 

My first underground base on a mp server was in the burnt forest with the entrance hidden behind a busted stove in a random remnant a ways back from the main road. It was near the main giant beehive area so there were often bees around. I remember coming home one day and being shot dead before I even knew someone was in my base. Good times!

I honestly have never really played a game on Navesgane before.  Always been on random maps.    One of these days Ill do a full run there.

I have started a few but never really played them to far.  The Random aspect of the map is what keeps me enjoying the game.  One of my gripes with Empyrion is they just removed their random maps for the starter worlds, a terrible idea IMHO.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Hey! It doesn't matter when you start, your first experience is always interesting. Tell us about zombies running in circles and rubbing against cacti in order to LBD-up your armor... 😉 

NO!  BAD ROLAND.

We do not talk about those days...

3 hours ago, Roland said:

I refused to do that  😠

I can't even get myself to run around in safe zones in any game that requires that to level up your stamina or athletics or whatever skill that is tied to.

My first try was like A12 or A13 and I hated it. I got stuck in a section that had the burnt forest and the plains right next to each other, which I hated the idea of, I thought the game was made by 12 year olds. So I wander a bit further and try to get a weapons. I loot a car and some bags on the road and find nothing but literal junk, I hated that too. So it gets dark and I go to a house to stay the night and it gets overrun in a matter of minutes and I die, I also hated that as well. I may have been planning terrorist acts in my head against the makers of the game at that point.

I was thinking that after playing Half Life 2 and F.E.A.R. and STALKER this game was made with crayons at a kindergarten show and tell. Sorry guys I had no idea the workings of the game at the time and I really got irritated at how Roguelike it was and I HATE Roguelike games. Give me Wizardry, Might and Magic and Ultima and keep your Moria to yourselves.

2nd Try was in A16 or a bit earlier maybe. I am in navezgane and I manage to spawn in the desert, so eventually I am overheating. I find a river and naturally I drink some of the river water to cool off and instead get dysentery, and then I cannot get out of the river, literally, and got swarmed with weird flying creatures. So I still hated it.

3rd Try, I followed the tutorials and eventually built a cool base at one of the electrical power POIs and I fell in love with the game. As I am a naturally creative type and the building thing was really cool to me.

My fondest memory was in a random 12k world in A16 that I would never be able to explore all of if I Tried and made a cool base.

Spoiler

My ideas do not change much, here is my A20 base WIP.

dOsHlv6.png

Honestly, I do not know how much polish the FPs really need to just say the game is done. Any more updates could be made to the game at 1.00 to 1.01, 1.02 and so on or whatever.

It reminds me of MAME, in that the beta versions are so low (current 0.252) that these guys will be in their 90s when it is at 1.00, or maybe their great grand kids could make MAME 1.00 in 2110 or something.

I mean Its been in development since 1997 and they have 0.252 in 2023.

As usual my babbling has no bounds. But will the FPs ever make the paintable textures Import and exportable? Why are the locked in the code when It seems so easy to add a texture with say embedded attributes, like specular, gloss, roughness, opacity and so on. I mean Hammer 4.0 which was a source engine editor had an easy way of importing textures and prefabs from most image editors and 3D software packages. Which was available in 2005. It just seems to easy to be able to do, but not to be able to do because of some reason unknown to me.

I am trying to find a texture of the 100 or so locked textures, for my runway for my Gyrocopter.  I just want simple tarmac, with NO gloss and very low specular, just flat matte tarmac, there is no such thing so my runway looks like it has been polished with a floor buffer.

Sorry XEpicuriusX for derailing your post, I have a habit of doing that.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

8 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

It reminds me of MAME, in that the beta versions are so low (current 0.252) that these guys will be in their 90s when it is at 1.00, or maybe their great grand kids could make MAME 1.00 in 2110 or something.

I mean Its been in development since 1997 and they have 0.252 in 2023.

The distance of that version number to 1.0 has no meaning at all. They could release 1.0 tomorrow or in 200 years, no matter how low or high that number is.

There are also different types of version numbers. 0.252 could either mean subversion 2, subsubversion 5, subsubsubversion 2. Or it could mean subversion number 252 !

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

18 hours ago, meganoth said:

The distance of that version number to 1.0 has no meaning at all. They could release 1.0 tomorrow or in 200 years, no matter how low or high that number is.

There are also different types of version numbers. 0.252 could either mean subversion 2, subsubversion 5, subsubsubversion 2. Or it could mean subversion number 252 !

I did not know that. I thought that these were beta versions of the code and that 1.0 would mean that all machines are emulated close to perfectly as possible.

All in all it is a great thing to make these old arcade games live on past the box they shipped in. My favorite emulator is WINuae. They seem to have their versions at 4.9.1. So that was why I was thinking that the MAME 0.xxx means they are not close to a full release for quite a while.

18 hours ago, Blasphemous said:

The first time I played was A16, I miss the garden hoe and just planting things in the soil.

I miss that and compiling items together to make a perfect Item. I loved collecting baskets for my minibike and compiling them to make them better. I also remember putting a level 6 engine in my minibike and going full speed over a hill and flying 200 blocks down the other side. I eventually kept different engines on the minibike to keep this from happening.

I also remember in A16, in that 10K or 12K RGW, driving down a road, a massive way from my base, through the wasteland and past another biome (or two) and looking to my left and seeing a trader tucked away down a large hill at a crossroads ahead. I made a note on my map or in my head and said "I love This Game". The exploration and finding this or that here or there and checking it out for the first time was amazing. I think most people need a mod to get the fun of new exploration back, as I am sure every POI has been explored at least once by most people who own the game.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I have over 9 months of time logged into this game and don't remember my first time, it was a long time ago. :p

I do remember that I played for weeks before I looked for and found the forums.  I had played for a few months before I started dabbling in the XML files.  I wasn't part of the Kickstarter but wish I had been.

I've always been a random gen junkie so while I have played several games in Navezgane, I've spent the overwhelming majority of my playing time in random gen maps.  My favorite POIs have always been the ones with underground bunkers because they just feel more like what someone would build/use in a zombie apocalypse.  Find a basement and be safer, that sort of thing.

A10, Hub City in MP, spawned just before first blood moon. Didn`t know anything, just loved the feeling of surviving around the creepy, ominous sounds and how much surrounded I was by zeds. This Ak-47 that I found was nothing with the few bullets that I got with it, crouching on the last floor of this part demolished brick building, but it was a start.

Oh and building base on this big, high cliff, that RNG back then generated. Used only Wood Cabin Blocks for a 2 story 5x5 shed, surrounded by dog horde. These cold chills were awesome back then. Many deaths, countless.

Or when I found a hidden in the ground minibike, in the forest biome, and got stuck, making two guys just stay few blocks away and laugh a lot before killing me and take the bike. Minibike book was the rarest thing in game back then and will always remember the feeling of finding one. 

On 3/14/2023 at 5:04 PM, bobrpggamer said:

I also remember putting a level 6 engine in my minibike and going full speed over a hill and flying 200 blocks down the other side. I eventually kept different engines on the minibike to keep this from happening.

Ah, yes. Swapping out engines on the minibike...it was fun finally getting all the best parts for it. I too rode the minibike over a blind rise at high speed and ended in a deep body of water. Rage quit that session.

Most players had underground bases, and although not fully PVP, griefing was a big part of it. Folks would meet up to barter, but kept their bases secret. One player was given away by the sounds of his forge/campfire even though he was at bedrock. 

Mining could be fun. Place a stick of dynamite in a horizontal hole hole and then collect all the ore that dropped.

And the hackers who'd fly across the server map looking for bases to demolish. I don't miss that part.

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

I remember hiding in a kitchen for my first night, listening out for the zombies outside. I’d search something then repeat a powerful incantation to ensure I don’t get found… wait a bit.. search another cupboard, then repeat the incantation. 

”please. Please. Please…

Pleeeeease don’t find me”

Rinse and repeat.

This was on PlayStation. I was learning to box the zombies way back then. Knuckle Busters weren’t out yet. I got really good and decided to try punch out a zombie dog. It didn’t end well. 

When knuckle busters came out, I didn’t try any other weapons. Until about a month ago, I tried spears. Now I’m loving the steel sledge in horde street fights, shirtless!

Ahh yeah, i remember very well. Only knew that night time is bad. So i desperatly tried to build a simple hut before nightfall. As i had no clue how to play i ofc failed badly. I didn´t even think about the option to use a POI back then. 

So i restarted like 2 or 3 times, still couldn´t finish even a small base during day one, so i simply dug a small hole and sealed it with wood and hoped for the best not even knowing i could have been leveling my crafting skills all night long.