Safe to ASSume resources are finite, correct?

Rotor

I get the unlikeliness of running out, specially in a 10k world I play.  I was asking because I find myself going out further for the surface nodes heh, but once in a while I find one in between, that I missed and wanted to make sure.  Thanks.

One more thing, I think I read this in another thread, when enough noise is generated and the screamer comes knocking, the zombies can spawn inside your shaft.  Right?

Edited by Rotor (see edit history)

I can offer an educated guess, but it's still just a guess; most from watching some old dedicated tests, like from Vedui, and following plenty of youtubers over the years.

I think screamers require a terrain block and an open sky above. So the if highest block of a coordinate is dirt/stone/asphalt/ore, a screamer can spawn on it. The reinforcements work pretty much the same.

There's also some distance limits, but you'll have to be really deep to avoid a spawn that way.

So, for most "shallow" mines, the screamer will spawn on the surface and all the adds as well.

The worst case scenario would be a long roofless drop from surface; the bottom of the drop might end up being the only spot where the screamer and the adds can spawn. So they will all spawn there. Of course that can be trivially turned into a best case as well .. :)

Plenty of caveats; just a couple

- I'm not sure of the sky requirement, but it would match all of the data I can remember seeing. Small exceptions may apply, like for plant growth, the sky requirement is an area, something like 7 blocks around; the same could apply for spawns, but I don't find that likely.

- Are some blocks considered "transparent" for the sky requirement; for plants some are. Hatches having been one, historically.

- Something like water; no real idea. A large body of water will prevent horde spawns entirely, and I do assume it prevents all other spawns as well.

- Things may well have changed, or get bugged, or the usual ..

Rgr, thanks.  

So in the efficient miner video the guy does do a straight shaft and covers it.  However in another thread, will look when I get home, it is said the spawn area is an orb, but maybe I misunderstood, so theoretically they can spawn in your horizontal shard was well.  But I could have misunderstood.

2 hours ago, Rotor said:

I.e. when the world is generate you get x amount of blocks which are iron, lead, nitrate, coal.  Right?

Worlds is limited and..... not. in theory if you mined every block or iron lead nitrate and coal still you can "restarted" POi by accepting quests

I have yet to experience a screamer's call of zombies that actually appear within the mine itself. They will tumble in from the opening above but not appear out of the rocks around me. But I don't have feral sense on, nor do I find it even remotely prudent to mine in the wasteland. Maybe that provides a clue to your dilemma? 

But some folk enjoy the danger  and anxiety. I just want my 10 minutes worth of 20% extra resources without too much interference once I've eaten the miner's candy. Drink enough of either of the two coffee blends then get the hell out. I can handle two screamers in a row, then its time to leave that chunk and do something else. Yep, steel pickaxe smacking lead or iron ore will bring visitors in about 6 minutes assuming you've not created a signature on the heat map with some prior activity in the relatively calm forest biome.

Mining in the wasteland? Not in my play through, no way. Dang, you asked for it. 🙄

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Rotor said:

This is the thread I was talking about.

I did see that thread, but it looked so strange that one would have to run some tests in there to see what's happening. And then run same tests on a vanilla world to compare. It sounds like either a bug, maybe mod issues, or his descriptions may not exactly match reality; way too many variables to draw conclusions from.

13 hours ago, Rotor said:

I.e. when the world is generate you get x amount of blocks which are iron, lead, nitrate, coal.  Right?

If you use Quests to refresh POIs then you might end up with infinite resources via salvage, and perhaps some mining. I sometimes dig up POI front lawns before starting a quest if I know I need a small pile of clay for something.

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

If I am not mistaken ores are everywhere. I am pretty sure I have started digging down to make a temp underground base and hit ores even when nowhere near a surface node.

Yeah, that is definitly true. But i think if you follow the veins you will get to a surface node(s) possibly, might take you a while though. Ores are plenty in this game and some veins just seem to have no end.

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Yeah, that is definitly true. But i think if you follow the veins you will get to a surface node(s) possibly, might take you a while though.

Nope. Not all ore veins connect to the surface. Just like not all surface nodes reach all the way to bedrock. All veins have an end.

18 hours ago, Rotor said:

I was asking because I find myself going out further for the surface nodes heh,

Just curious how many mines do you have going right now?? I usually start with 1 mine for each type of mineral, but what ends up happening is as I start mining out each one, I end up finding other types of minerals in there. So then the mine has multiple uses and I rarely have to create new ones unless I'm moving bases. In the end of my last run I probably only had 3-4 mines that I frequented that I still never fully mined out because I kept finding more or different ores.

Well, none really, about to start going deep.  I have just not been efficient and have only minned the node and the next couple of blocks.  Until now if I couldn't jump out it was already too deep :).  Baby steps.  Although it appears I should have been on rollerskates.

19 minutes ago, Rotor said:

Well, none really, about to start going deep.  I have just not been efficient and have only minned the node and the next couple of blocks. 

Ah ok! Yeah once you start actually making mines they last a pretty long time (at least for me) so long as you don't cause a cave in 😆

Until now if I couldn't jump out it was already too deep :)

Is the concern that you'll get ambushed by zombies while mining? Or that climbing out would be a pain? I've seen some people's mines that go straight down that have ladders directly on the terrain to get out (which I didn't even know you could do, I had been attaching all my ladders to blocks that I place down)

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)