One town, no traders

Maharin

Could we please have an addition option during RWG that allows for a single town instead of "few"?  And could we also get a simple on/off option for traders?  Choosing no towns removes traders but it would be nice to have the option of having one (or more) towns without traders if we wanted.  No rush, by release would be fine.  :p

EDIT:  Or just have the single town option have no traders... whatever is easier.  I currently end up going with no towns or going into the POI listing and remove trader entries.

Edited by Maharin (see edit history)

@Maharin. You gen worlds with no towns (hence no traders)? So i take it you scavenge from wilderness POI's then. Not thought about this game strategy before. Long and drrawn out? Then anything you would loot is an "ooh, yes!", because it is not going to come from a trader, or a food wagon, or a CrackaBook. Yeah ,throw oneself into the wilds with not a damn thing (maybe only what you;re given at start: one water, one can of chili, a useless note, a torch, and a please-don't-hit-me bandage?

Holy masochist Batman!

Or am I wrong?

On A20.6e, we now have a 2K option in RWG. I have gotten a very high percentage of No Trader maps at the 2k size. I am playing one now. It's wonderful not having anyone tell me what to do. It feels old and new at the same time. Highly recommended.

I've actually been modding out traders on and off since A17, but it's cool being able to pull one in vanilla without editing.

16 minutes ago, Catdaddy said:

On A20.6e, we now have a 2K option in RWG. I have gotten a very high percentage of No Trader maps at the 2k size. I am playing one now. It's wonderful not having anyone tell me what to do. It feels old and new at the same time. Highly recommended.

I've actually been modding out traders on and off since A17, but it's cool being able to pull one in vanilla without editing.

I have not opted into 20.6e, because I am part of a well established MP 20.5 b2 session. And the "put it here no worries" heirarchy is still hazy.

But yeah, I am up for it. Just gotta be able to compartmentalize (big word) all of my sessions. And I haven't figured that out as yet. Yeah COIK. Clear Only If Known. 

Later. Not gonna frig things and let my team mates down.

But I will try that strategy. And give feedback.

2 hours ago, Melange said:

@Maharin. You gen worlds with no towns (hence no traders)? So i take it you scavenge from wilderness POI's then. Not thought about this game strategy before. Long and drrawn out? Then anything you would loot is an "ooh, yes!", because it is not going to come from a trader, or a food wagon, or a CrackaBook. Yeah ,throw oneself into the wilds with not a damn thing (maybe only what you;re given at start: one water, one can of chili, a useless note, a torch, and a please-don't-hit-me bandage?

Holy masochist Batman!

Or am I wrong?

I have played just about every kind of map there is to play and prefer no traders.  I have played many maps with no towns and only wilderness POIs.  I even played a few times with no POIs at all and mentioned a few holes that creates in ones ability to survive (no way to get iron pipes to make a forge to make a pot to cook in, for instance).  There are still random loot containers throughout the world but it is very slow going.

You're not wrong, it's a tough world to survive in and tougher still to get out of the stone age.  I started doing it as a way to make a "craft everything, loot almost nothing" kind of scenario.  TFP does not like this concept for 7DTD so it will be a mod I make at some point after release or at least after the start of beta.

5 hours ago, Maharin said:

Could we please have an addition option during RWG that allows for a single town instead of "few"?  And could we also get a simple on/off option for traders?  Choosing no towns removes traders but it would be nice to have the option of having one (or more) towns without traders if we wanted.  No rush, by release would be fine.  :p

EDIT:  Or just have the single town option have no traders... whatever is easier.  I currently end up going with no towns or going into the POI listing and remove trader entries.

I'd like to see that too. It's one of the main reasons i liked Nitrogen since it had those options.

If they implement them however, it's probaly better suited for something to go into an "advanced map gen options" , since more and more of the game seem to

resolve around the trader and looting.

Playing with no trader and almost no POI's is much more immersive , at least from a survival point of view. It's a LOT slower progress, and its probaly not for everyone.

With no trader, what you can loot suddenly become more valuable.

With very few POI's, the ones you can find also become much more valuable , and so it becomes more motivating to go searching for them.

And like you said, with few places to loot, crafting becomes much more necessary , and making the best with the little we have.

It is slow though, and may need some modding to deal with progress trees , since some stuff is locked behind books and trader.

As in, if i play with no trader and few or no POI's , do i really want all that fancy stuff anyway? Possibly for the feeling of progress.

6 hours ago, Maharin said:

so it will be a mod I make at some point

Sign me up!

5 hours ago, Kattla said:

It is slow though, and may need some modding to deal with progress trees , since some stuff is locked behind books and trader.

As in, if i play with no trader and few or no POI's , do i really want all that fancy stuff anyway? Possibly for the feeling of progress.

I agree. It's that feeling of progress, albeit only incremental, that would make such a mod sustainable for continued gameplay. No details needed here at this point, but an M60 would be out of the question. Maybe best one could hope for is a pistol? Much to consider as to what tools/weapons/ meds one could hope to be able to craft. 

Smarter folk than I would have to do that. But I'll gladly help test it.

Really like the idea of one big city. Performance will be the argument from TFP to not make it happen though.

No trader option is not gonna happen i guess. As the filter for the dew collectors will mainly be obtained from traders. They will be a rare loot drop also, but i don´t think anyone wants to rely on a rare loot drop for their water supply. 

Traders are made a must with this change wich i don´t like at all. WIth some bad luck at the trader inventory you might even be forced to do quests to have a chance to get the filter as a reward.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

Argh!

So the dew collector is the only way to get water??  WTFornication is so special about collecting dew or rain water for that matter?  

Or did I totally just blow that out of proportion?

I am not a quester, I only use the trader to sell junk or buy that one item the RnG is being stingy.

Edited by Rotor (see edit history)

On 8/13/2022 at 12:59 PM, Rotor said:

Oh so no more boiling water?  Or is there another container? Is it RnGeezus rare?

If you find murky water, you can still boil it.

There is no such thing as a water container. Despite the graphic showing water in a jar, you have self-isolating water quantities that are either murky or fresh.

9 minutes ago, Rotor said:

Oh.  So lake, River water now is cosmetical?

Well It appears we can drink it and maybe get dysentary, but we can not take the water with us. We can't make our little 2x2 pool anymore. So I don't have to use 7 iron ingots making a bucket. In fact it seems that in A21 a buckect will be useless.. We won't be able to craft jars in the forge, and any water we find in loot, a vending machine or get from a trader can be murky or drinkable. But its not in a jar, its just a useable quantity of water. We want more water? Then we have to make the dew collector. Many dew collectors.

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, Rotor said:

Oh.  So lake, River water now is cosmetical?

No, you will be able to go up to bodies of water and directly drink from them.  So now the water purifier mod and vitamins will have a bigger impact in the game.  Dew collectors are being added which can provide up to 3 boiled waters per day (though you have a chance of not getting to the max of 3).

Drinking dirty water is also getting a revamp as it now deals HP damage every time you drink from it.  We do know that the water purifier mod removes that debuff when you drink dirty water, but not sure what vitamins does right now.

Getting a water purifier mod will become more important now as you will then be able to save your water gained from looting for crafting.

14 minutes ago, Roland said:

Not exactly. It will be used for transporting water voxels in order to do landscaping effects for your base.

I like that idea.  Will it be easier with the new water mechanics to fill a pool?  Alpha 19 i tried to build a hot tub looking thing, and it was bear to fill it to the top(plus all of the water leaking out that needed cleaned up, it was a mess lol)

On 8/11/2022 at 7:14 PM, Melange said:

Holy masochist Batman!

Or am I wrong?

*old man's voice*

That's actually how we played back in the day, before they introduced traders... :kev: