"Under" Grass

DOS1129

I, like many others get irritated by wasting time and durability on hitting grass whilst digging.  I dont have an issue with needing to clear some grass ahead of time, that's fine.

What my issue is, is this new "under" grass that's all over the place.  The stuff that you can only see just the tiniest tips of (if you can see even that) above ground before you hit it.

Is there any reason that this new grass was added, is it a known issue, has anyone else even seen what I'm talking about?  The grass clumps are some of the most over populated, under used and hated blocks in the game.

I know there are mods to allow for less grass etc, I am purely wondering about this particular "stealth" grass.

13 minutes ago, DOS1129 said:

I, like many others get irritated by wasting time and durability on hitting grass whilst digging.  I dont have an issue with needing to clear some grass ahead of time, that's fine.

What my issue is, is this new "under" grass that's all over the place.  The stuff that you can only see just the tiniest tips of (if you can see even that) above ground before you hit it.

Is there any reason that this new grass was added, is it a known issue, has anyone else even seen what I'm talking about?  The grass clumps are some of the most over populated, under used and hated blocks in the game.

I know there are mods to allow for less grass etc, I am purely wondering about this particular "stealth" grass.

from what I know they updated and introduced a couple of new grass models in A20 so it doesn't look like there is just tall grass and weeds everywhere.

I like the 'stealth' grass because it causes alot of less visual clutter than just having tall grass everywhere

I wonder how the world would look if worlds generated with 50 to 25% as much grass but then you got 2 or 4 x as many fibers

I agree that the low level grass is horrible. I like to clear the area around my base and horde area (especially in UL since you need so much grass anyway), with that new grass it is a real mind numbing task of even being able to find the short stuff to hit it. Awful stuff, I hate it.

My gripe is the shovel can be used to harvest it.  It's my opine that the shovel should ignore grass and just go for the dirt block.  

I do like having it though, make my world feel a bit more organic.

When I take over a house of other building to use as home base, I like to go around the outside for a few blocks around and mow also,

like so many do..

the lower, under, second, stealth grass makes the ground feel much less flat, i.e. blah, or just painted..

gives some life to an otherwise matte landscaping..

i like it.

3 hours ago, DOS1129 said:

Regarding the specific use case of the grass getting in your way when digging, my advice is, once you have a 1 block deep hole made, you can actually still dig while avoiding the grass completely. Just aim slightly below the grass, and you can dig up the dirt just fine and won't hit the grass.

Here is a video of what im talking about: https://imgur.com/a/HFnas2r

But if you're trying to clean up an area and get rid of all the grass, I agree it is very tedious, to the point that I wish they had sickles or something.

4 hours ago, BarryTGash said:

I'd prefer excess damage to grass to transfer to the block behind it - if grass takes 1hp, the rest goes in to the dirt.

image.png.2b715761139620a5a50fe7821a7e0496.png

Only reason being, when I'm hitting grass I'm usually trying to leave behind clean flat terrain. If my 10hp punch or 30hp knife stab starts putting little potholes in my future base site, well...ha ha ha...I can assure you there will be nose wrinkling and possibly even a furrowed brow, mister! An eye-roll is not out of the question.

If they give us a lawnmower/trimmer tool which can only damage grass, then I'd be okay with other weapons passing excess through to the dirt. Right tool for the job and all that.

54 minutes ago, Boidster said:

image.png.2b715761139620a5a50fe7821a7e0496.png

Only reason being, when I'm hitting grass I'm usually trying to leave behind clean flat terrain. If my 10hp punch or 30hp knife stab starts putting little potholes in my future base site, well...ha ha ha...I can assure you there will be nose wrinkling and possibly even a furrowed brow, mister! An eye-roll is not out of the question.

If they give us a lawnmower/trimmer tool which can only damage grass, then I'd be okay with other weapons passing excess through to the dirt. Right tool for the job and all that.

Obviously I'd not expanded on the idea fully :)

A similar issue was presented to me the other day when, whilst trying to deal with a crawling zombie (one that I'd removed a locomotive limb from, not Steve), my melee weapon kept hitting grass, leaving said undead blighter unscathed apart from aforementioned amputation. So something like: weapons bypass grass (and do no damage to dirt?), only certain tools (spade/pickaxe) overflow damage from grass to dirt, grass is only harvestable by fists - something like that.

It was changed as part of improving the graphics.  Having all tufts of grass be the same size didn't look very good.  I appreciate the improvements.  I hope they don't get rid of the short grass, nor thin it out.  I hope they can leverage it further.  I'd love to see sub-biomes where only the full-height grass grows, or only the short grass, or game trails where no grass grows, which animals tend to follow (a man can dream).

On 3/5/2022 at 10:32 AM, Ezed said:

My gripe is the shovel can be used to harvest it.  It's my opine that the shovel should ignore grass and just go for the dirt block.  

I do like having it though, make my world feel a bit more organic.

On 3/5/2022 at 12:30 PM, ElDudorino said:

They should just make the shovel ignore the short grass. And make the tall grass *way* less common. You should be able to dig through the short grass but sure it looks nice so go ahead and keep it in place.

I do a lot of buried supply quests, and I had the same thought.  I think turning off collision between shovels and grass blocks would be an effective solution.  I don't foresee any negative side effects with this approach.

8 minutes ago, Crater Creator said:

I think turning off collision between shovels and grass blocks would be an effective solution.  I don't foresee any negative side effects with this approach.

Oh god no. I tend to reach out to the sides as I am digging a shallow pit for clay and knock the grass down so I can see. Taking grass collision off the shovel means switching to a different tool to do so. If hitting grass with a shovel is such an issue for people they just need to aim a bit better... It's not hard to hit the dirt instead of the grass after all.

Shape of Cube 3x3x1 is good for clearing grasses if the terrain is flat. (that is still one of my favorite shapes from the menu).

As for the grasses themselves.  I prefer the short grass since it feels to me based on my observations as though grasses only block vision of the player and not the AI.  That was part of the reason I did a modlet that turns all the grasses in the game into short versions of themselves (except the left-over Snowberry plant that gives no berries which still blocks building but is treated otherwise like grass now).

I would also like to see the shovel mechanic changed so that using a shovel ignores the grasses on top of the block.