StayClear (No Sleeper Respawn) A20

ExtremeLurker

This is an updated version of my mod that disables sleeper respawning. I've never liked the way you can't clear out buildings, as it reduces the effect that you can have on the world. I don't get as much sense of progression if I can't see what I've cleared out, and I find it really fun to slowly clear out entire towns over time. I find it unrealistic how zombies will just entirely fill up a building that you've completely cleared if you leave it alone for some time, as if they're more concerned with finding shelter than they are with finding fresh meat.

I've created this image to sum up how it feels to me playing the game without my mod:

Miu8e9L.jpg

Notes

With A20 comes updates to the way C# mods can be made, and so it was important to me to create a version of this mod that's up to date with the new system. With that being said, DMT is no longer required in order to use this mod.

Also new to A20 is that sleeper respawn time is tied to loot respawn time. However, if loot respawn is disabled, sleeper respawn is set to a default of 30 days, meaning this mod is still required to fully disable sleeper respawning.

As with all C# mods, EAC must be disabled in order to use the mod.

If you wish to restore sleeper respawning after using this mod, just remove the mod and sleepers will start to respawn once again after several days, as they did before.

[Github Repo]

[Latest Release]

Installation

To install the mod, simply download the latest version of the mod and unzip it into its own folder within your Mods directory within the game's install directory, then run the game with Easy Anti-Cheat disabled.

If you encounter any issues or need any help, please let me know!

If you like, support my modding efforts via PayPal or ko-fi (supports credit cards and Apple Pay)

Edited by ExtremeLurker (see edit history)

1 hour ago, nickuk01 said:

This is awesome really hope it works as this is one of my fav mods. Thank you thank you

Sent small donation to say appreciate your work and support

You're welcome! Thanks a lot for showing your support. The kind gesture sincerely means a lot to me :love_heart: I'm glad to hear that you find it useful and I hope that you'll let me know if you experience any issues.

On 1/4/2022 at 12:34 PM, Mahnogard said:

I've just downloaded this and look forward to using it on my next save. I want to do a "rebuild the neighborhood" playthrough, and that will be a lot easier without the zombies moving back in. :D 

I hope it works smoothly for you! I've been told of people doing stuff like that, and I think it's a really cool idea!

27 minutes ago, ExtremeLurker said:

I hope it works smoothly for you! I've been told of people doing stuff like that, and I think it's a really cool idea!

Thanks! It should be fun! I just got home after 2 weeks of vacation so tonight I'm just going to run a bunch of map seeds to see if I can find something that looks promising for the project, then actually start tomorrow evening. I'm turning off blood moon but I'm installing Khaine's Dangerous Cities and Wandering Horde Patch mods to spice things up. I might regret that choice but we'll see. LOL

15 hours ago, Mahnogard said:

Thanks! It should be fun! I just got home after 2 weeks of vacation so tonight I'm just going to run a bunch of map seeds to see if I can find something that looks promising for the project, then actually start tomorrow evening. I'm turning off blood moon but I'm installing Khaine's Dangerous Cities and Wandering Horde Patch mods to spice things up. I might regret that choice but we'll see. LOL

That actually sounds really fun. Personally I've not used any mods before, I simply created a few for myself of things that I really wanted/found useful. I've always played with blood moons, as I like the way that it gives a purpose to trying to fortify a position. However, having a combination like that and making the game simply about completely clearing out a large area seems like a fun sort of victory condition. I'll have to try it out sometime! Are there any other mods you recommend?

5 hours ago, noname835 said:
Hello, I have a question.

I understood the principle of the mod, the zombies that died remain dead.

My question is, when cities are restored, are zombies present in buildings again?

thx

Hi. I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but I can say that what this mod does is make it so that after you fully clear out a POI, it will never fill up again, even if you clear every other POI in the game. After clearing a POI, it will stay clear, unless you remove the mod from the game, or you start a quest that requires you to clear out a POI. When starting a quest, a POI will be filled with zombies even if it has been cleared from before.

27 minutes ago, ExtremeLurker said:

However, having a combination like that and making the game simply about completely clearing out a large area seems like a fun sort of victory condition. I'll have to try it out sometime! Are there any other mods you recommend?

I used to almost never use mods, now I'm kind of obsessed with them. LOL For this specific type of playthrough, I like these:

JaxTeller718's Working Devices - because are you really restoring a home if the kitchen doesn't work??

MeanCloud's Enemy Reach Shortener - seriously, when you're dealing with THAT many zombies at once, the effect of their magic gumby arms starts to be an issue

Red Eagle LXIX's Add Land Claim Count Option - so you can play with more than one active land claim

Sam's Stuff Mods

Sam's Building Stuff - I use this one because it lets me craft normal-looking residential doors

Sam's Deco Stuff - makes various in-game deco items craftable

Sam's Storage Stuff - craftable containers that are like vanilla container items only they hold more, also allows crafting of equipment / gun racks.

Telric's Mods

Telric's Decoration Pack - adds new deco items like vases, some windows, blinds, bathroom stuff, and other fun goodies like a ceiling fan that spins

Telric's Fishing 2.0 - because it's fishing and fishing in video games is awesome!

If I decide to restore commercial properties too, I may have to end up using CM to replace a few items that I can't craft, but I think most of the stuff I might need is either covered by these mods or vanilla crafting so I should be set.

Edited by Mahnogard (see edit history)

On 1/6/2022 at 3:08 PM, Mahnogard said:

I used to almost never use mods, now I'm kind of obsessed with them. LOL For this specific type of playthrough, I like these:

JaxTeller718's Working Devices - because are you really restoring a home if the kitchen doesn't work??

MeanCloud's Enemy Reach Shortener - seriously, when you're dealing with THAT many zombies at once, the effect of their magic gumby arms starts to be an issue

Red Eagle LXIX's Add Land Claim Count Option - so you can play with more than one active land claim

Sam's Stuff Mods

Sam's Building Stuff - I use this one because it lets me craft normal-looking residential doors

Sam's Deco Stuff - makes various in-game deco items craftable

Sam's Storage Stuff - craftable containers that are like vanilla container items only they hold more, also allows crafting of equipment / gun racks.

Telric's Mods

Telric's Decoration Pack - adds new deco items like vases, some windows, blinds, bathroom stuff, and other fun goodies like a ceiling fan that spins

Telric's Fishing 2.0 - because it's fishing and fishing in video games is awesome!

If I decide to restore commercial properties too, I may have to end up using CM to replace a few items that I can't craft, but I think most of the stuff I might need is either covered by these mods or vanilla crafting so I should be set.

Thanks a ton for the recommendations. I particularly enjoyed the descriptions, hahaha. I'd never imagined a working kitchen being so critical in this game 😂 I'm most certainly interested in trying out a run like this, especially with multiple land claims. Thanks a whole ton for the insights!! I really appreciate this.

1 hour ago, ExtremeLurker said:

Thanks a ton for the recommendations. I particularly enjoyed the descriptions, hahaha. I'd never imagined a working kitchen being so critical in this game 😂 I'm most certainly interested in trying out a run like this, especially with multiple land claims. Thanks a whole ton for the insights!! I really appreciate this.

You're welcome! :D I'm currently bouncing back and forth between my "restoration" playthrough and another that I started when I got the idea to build a Mid-Century Modern housing complex. LOL Fortunately, the same set of mods works fine for both so I didn't have to add another modded install via the mod launcher. 

And yeah, I just have a thing about kitchens. LOL My scratch-built homes usually have kitchens before they have roofs. When my kitchen is complete, *that* is when I'm like, "Okay. I have arrived. I can play now." 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Question - when install files in the mods folder in 7d2d do I need to make Harmony folder like did in your A19 modlet so dll files go inside Harmony folder ? File structure then: Stayclear/Harmony/dll files? Or just chuck them in a stayclear folder within mods folder  with no harmony folder, ie. Stayclear/dll files

1 hour ago, nickuk01 said:

Quick Question - when install files in the mods folder in 7d2d do I need to make Harmony folder like did in your A19 modlet so dll files go inside Harmony folder ? File structure then: Stayclear/Harmony/dll files? Or just chuck them in a stayclear folder within mods folder  with no harmony folder, ie. Stayclear/dll files

The structure is different now. Simply place the contents of the zip file into a folder named StayClear within your Mods folder.

Edited by ExtremeLurker (see edit history)

On 1/6/2022 at 1:42 PM, ExtremeLurker said:

Hi. I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but I can say that what this mod does is make it so that after you fully clear out a POI, it will never fill up again, even if you clear every other POI in the game. After clearing a POI, it will stay clear, unless you remove the mod from the game, or you start a quest that requires you to clear out a POI. When starting a quest, a POI will be filled with zombies even if it has been cleared from before.

A lot of servers reset the regions in cities, I think that is what he means.

Edited by Guppycur (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Guppycur said:

A lot of servers reset the regions in cities, I think that is what he means.

Ah, thanks. you're probably right.

My apologies, I'm not familiar at all with how people run servers, as I've only run a dedicated server a small amount and only privately between a few people. Mostly I play P2P multiplayer.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:08 AM, noname835 said:
Hello, I have a question.

I understood the principle of the mod, the zombies that died remain dead.

My question is, when cities are restored, are zombies present in buildings again?

thx

With regards to restoring a city, I think that would reset the POIs so that zombies would indeed be present again. The mod works by manipulating the respawn counter. If a building has been reset, I don't think that counter comes into play.

5 hours ago, Bahila said:

Does the Land Claim Block  make it possible to Sleeper's respawn?

I thought placing a land claim block makes it so that zombies do not spawn in the area. I've not actually tested or checked the code for how sleepers come into play with that. To my knowledge you're only allowed a single land claim per player (has that changed?) This mod makes it so that sleepers will not respawn in a POI after they are all cleared out. The will not respawn until you remove the mod, then they will come back after 10 days or so of not visiting a building

• 3 months later...

Hello, I like the clear building by building play style.

It looks like this does not require a restart, is that correct?  I.e. drop in mods folder and my current game will no longer respawn sleepers in PoIs?

5 hours ago, Rotor said:

Hello, I like the clear building by building play style.

It looks like this does not require a restart, is that correct?  I.e. drop in mods folder and my current game will no longer respawn sleepers in PoIs?

You are correct. That's exactly how it works, no restart required. I hope you enjoy it!

On 5/7/2022 at 11:52 PM, AaronG85 said:

Been waiting for this to be an option, this is mine and my wife's play-through style. We like clearing city by city, makes the end game more interesting.

That's exactly how I preferred to play the game and was sad to see there was no option for this, which is why this exists, haha. I hope you're able to use the mod okay and enjoy clearing things out!

2 hours ago, ExtremeLurker said:

That's exactly how I preferred to play the game and was sad to see there was no option for this, which is why this exists, haha. I hope you're able to use the mod okay and enjoy clearing things out!

Mod works flawlessly, Now all I need is a way to make each house as cleared lol any tips?

5 hours ago, AaronG85 said:

Mod works flawlessly, Now all I need is a way to make each house as cleared lol any tips?

I'm glad to hear it. I've 3 different little tips.

• The best way to mark things is to open your map and add a waypoint to the POI you've cleared, choose the X icon, and leave the name blank. Doing this, you can open up your map in game and X's will be over the houses you've cleared. The drawback to this method is that your compass at the top of the screen gets super cluttered with X's
  • If the above doesn't work for you, you could take a screenshot of the map, open it up for editing in the background or another monitor or even on a laptop or tablet, and after you clear a POI, open up the map in game to see where you are, and then just cross it off in the screenshot you have open
  • If you prefer to not utilize a map approach, I also mark POIs I've cleared by putting a single wooden frame above the front door. Drawback of this is that you'll need to check the front door, meaning from the side or back of a POI you can't tell if it's clear, but you could add a frame to each side

5 hours ago, AaronG85 said:

@pApA^LeGBa Suggested, and haven not tried, to post wooden signs.  I am also going to try a MOD that removes player created markers from compass.  I forget which one it is, and mark the PoIs on the map.

32 minutes ago, Rotor said:

Hey, so just a quick dumb question.  My first Mod on the game, so want to make sure.  Create [Mods] folder in the directory below, correct?

modsdir.jpg

Yes, that's correct. You'll want a folder named Mods in there. Then, put my mod as a folder inside that folder, so it'll be 7 Days To Die\Mods\StayClear\ModInfo.xml