why is the Machete called a Machete

Lord Gem

17 hours ago, Lord Gem said:

But the facts exist because of the ease of obtaining and modifying the AK- 47 it is still the most common assault rifle available to the common citizen, apparently when different groups defend themselves they cite the need to use fully automatic rifles for hunting.

Em Canadian military and you think the AK's found in the US are "assault" weapons? Nope, no full auto, just plain old semi auto rifles. As for the hunting with full auto? Again either showing your own ignorance or pushing an agenda. I assume you're referring to the AR15 - not full auto either. Stop with the uninformed BS please. Especially when throwing in that you're ex-mil. Someone gullible may actually think you're speaking truth.

14 hours ago, Lord Gem said:

Ok just to clarify the air, I am an ex-military of the Canadian Armed Forces from the 80's....so my knowledge is dated, I believe the current designation for the combat arm of the US military right now is the M4, the M1 Garand was the rifle from WW2 bolt action with a 9 round strip clip to reload....a very good gun for it's time. I do think .....SNIP

Just to clarify, the M1 Garand is an eight shot semi-automatic rifle. So in the same league as the sniper rifle in 7D2D.

6 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

Em Canadian military and you think the AK's found in the US are "assault" weapons? Nope, no full auto, just plain old semi auto rifles. As for the hunting with full auto? Again either showing your own ignorance or pushing an agenda. I assume you're referring to the AR15 - not full auto either. Stop with the uninformed BS please. Especially when throwing in that you're ex-mil. Someone gullible may actually think you're speaking truth.

hello to you too.....first I never said the AK-47 could be found fully automatic.....but it conversion is another matter, as to the AR-15, of which I own the one my grandfather used in WW2 I didn't even bring that up....I am retired ex Canadian Force Master Chief Warrant Officer and the part of the full automatic hunting is a joke I share with some friend from the states that are either currently or ex marines ....all though they will tell you there is no such thing.....the person I was talking to was from Poland and believe that not only is the US military armed with the M16 rifle but that you conscript your soldiers, but then I am saying you when you probably don't  and have never served in the military or you would understand, not only what I said but why I said it 

5 hours ago, seagas said:

Just to clarify, the M1 Garand is an eight shot semi-automatic rifle. So in the same league as the sniper rifle in 7D2D.

Hello Seagas...my mistake you are correct that it is an eight enblock reload strip.....I am not nor do I pretend to be an expert on rifles.....I have never gotten a sniper rifle in the game.....but you are right that once fired the Garand loads the nest round without have a bolt action like the previous Springfield.....at the time it was issued it was though to be a mickey mouse piece of turd ( to be polite)....but thank you for pointing out my error.....now does anyone want to comment on my original question about the Machete

30 minutes ago, Lord Gem said:

hello to you too.....first I never said the AK-47 could be found fully automatic.....but it conversion is another matter, as to the AR-15, of which I own the one my grandfather used in WW2 I didn't even bring that up....I am retired ex Canadian Force Master Chief Warrant Officer and the part of the full automatic hunting is a joke I share with some friend from the states that are either currently or ex marines ....all though they will tell you there is no such thing.....the person I was talking to was from Poland and believe that not only is the US military armed with the M16 rifle but that you conscript your soldiers, but then I am saying you when you probably don't  and have never served in the military or you would understand, not only what I said but why I said it 

Hello Seagas...my mistake you are correct that it is an eight enblock reload strip.....I am not nor do I pretend to be an expert on rifles.....I have never gotten a sniper rifle in the game.....but you are right that once fired the Garand loads the nest round without have a bolt action like the previous Springfield.....at the time it was issued it was though to be a mickey mouse piece of turd ( to be polite)....but thank you for pointing out my error.....now does anyone want to comment on my original question about the Machete

Well my opinion is : well things must suit with setting of game 

23 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

You have to consider ease of repair as well. An AK-47 is much less likely to require servicing than an M16. It's also considerably easier to clean and maintain without considerable training. Given there are probably about the same number of both in the US, the AK is more accessible because the majority of them aren't owned by the military. 

38 minutes ago, Lord Gem said:

Matt this reply is in no way directed to you, you were talking about somethings from some old information and not making sense to me, but I did not find our discussion to be in anyway bad or offencive, As Seagas said the clip for the garand is 8 and not 9 bullets, my area of expertise is not firearm. Your opinion is as valid as anyone just needs some updating....please look at the comment I quote at the beginning it is by SylenThunder and he actually says what I was saying with much better and lesser words. If I have offend you I do apologize. I do find comments spoken about what I can and cannot do to be offencive, but not different opinions.  

My dad bought 2 M1 Garands from the military and both are for lefties as was my dad, both guns came complete with bayonets. He also bought an M1 carbine, inaccurate as heck but a fun gun to shoot nonetheless. The M1 Garand with armor piercing bullets can penetrate an engine block at 1000 yards. It was the first rifle that I ever shot also the only gun that I broke a bone using.....I was 10 years old, didn't hold the butt of the M1 against my shoulder and the kick cracked my collar bone. And that gun has one heck of a kick. On the military version, there was no padding on the butt if I'm remembering correctly, it was many many years ago.

On 9/4/2021 at 1:16 AM, Lord Gem said:

there is only one type of machete I know that comes in this shape and I feel it should be giving the credit for it as it is one of the deadliest weapons employ by man. It is called the Kukri, it is from Nepal and was at one time the sole weapon of the Gurkha.....this isn't a big thing but I was wondering why the developers made the machete this shape and did not give the credit where due when they did.....if anyone would like to chime in on this with their opinions please feel free. Also a note this is not criticism, it is and opinion that I thought I would share, if I felt critical about it I wouldn't play the game and be having a blast surviving the Zombie Apocalypse....lol

Honestly, just what is Kukri? Don't get me wrong, I already know the answer thanks to playing a lot of different survival games (lol, I know), but I asked intentionally, because I believe that there are still many people who know a machete when they see one, but they don't necessarily know what is Kukri. So I believe that if TFP named the item Kukri instead of Machete, those people who don't know what Kukri is wouldn't bother to craft it. Sure, curiosity and game progress would eventually hand it to them anyway, but for sake of simplicity, it's called by the universal name known to most people, well at least that's my guess which could be wrong.

22 minutes ago, Star69 said:

My dad bought 2 M1 Garands from the military and both are for lefties as was my dad, both guns came complete with bayonets. He also bought an M1 carbine, inaccurate as heck but a fun gun to shoot nonetheless. The M1 Garand with armor piercing bullets can penetrate an engine block at 1000 yards. It was the first rifle that I ever shot also the only gun that I broke a bone using.....I was 10 years old, didn't hold the butt of the M1 against my shoulder and the kick cracked my collar bone. And that gun has one heck of a kick. On the military version, there was no padding on the butt if I'm remembering correctly, it was many many years ago.

yes you are correct that the Garand did not have padding but a steel plate.....the 30.06 is a hell of a cartridge....as to the M1 Carbine whose name I don't think I've ever know, it was supposed to be used to replace the officers pistol not as and actual combat rifle, although in the Philippians' it saw use with the natives effectively because of their small stature.....but like I said my expertise is not in firearms but personal weaponry  

2 minutes ago, mr.devolver said:

Honestly, just what is Kukri? Don't get me wrong, I already know the answer thanks to playing a lot of different survival games (lol, I know), but I asked intentionally, because I believe that there are still many people who know a machete when they see one, but they don't necessarily know what is Kukri. So I believe that if TFP named the item Kukri instead of Machete, those people who don't know what Kukri is wouldn't bother to craft it. Sure, curiosity and game progress would eventually hand it to them anyway, but for sake of simplicity, it's called by the universal name known to most people, well at least that's my guess which could be wrong.

you know that is probably why they called it a machete....it's purpose can be use for solely that....offering my own opinion and not trying to tell anyone what to think....the Kukri is the greatest fighting knife know in my opinion, it's design by the Nepalese for the butchering of cattle, it was purported that they could sever the head of a bull with one strike, and it made the Gurkha's on of the scariest and deadliest fighters of their time.....I also like the Fairbarnes, ( I might be spelling his name wrong ) and think the Marines made a big mistake not going with it in 1938 as their hand weapon of choice, but apparently the Navy did not have money for their (this is a joke for you non military types) police force.   I personally own both the Kukri (18") and the baby Fairbarnes. that will come with me to the Zombie Apocalypses when it arrives....Thank you for your input into the subject, and feel free to express any disagreement or other knowledge I might not have put our there as to what is a Kukri

4 minutes ago, Lord Gem said:

you know that is probably why they called it a machete....it's purpose can be use for solely that....offering my own opinion and not trying to tell anyone what to think....the Kukri is the greatest fighting knife know in my opinion, it's design by the Nepalese for the butchering of cattle, it was purported that they could sever the head of a bull with one strike, and it made the Gurkha's on of the scariest and deadliest fighters of their time.....I also like the Fairbarnes, ( I might be spelling his name wrong ) and think the Marines made a big mistake not going with it in 1938 as their hand weapon of choice, but apparently the Navy did not have money for their (this is a joke for you non military types) police force.   I personally own both the Kukri (18") and the baby Fairbarnes. that will come with me to the Zombie Apocalypses when it arrives....Thank you for your input into the subject, and feel free to express any disagreement or other knowledge I might not have put our there as to what is a Kukri

Well, I'm not an expert, so I have nothing to add there I'm afraid, but I'd always agree that Kukri is one terrifying weapon, that's for sure and I'm glad they chose that design out of all designs that exist for the purpose of this single machete that is available in the game.

2 hours ago, Lord Gem said:

Matt this reply is in no way directed to you, you were talking about somethings from some old information and not making sense to me, but I did not find our discussion to be in anyway bad or offencive, As Seagas said the clip for the garand is 8 and not 9 bullets, my area of expertise is not firearm. Your opinion is as valid as anyone just needs some updating....please look at the comment I quote at the beginning it is by SylenThunder and he actually says what I was saying with much better and lesser words. If I have offend you I do apologize. I do find comments spoken about what I can and cannot do to be offencive, but not different opinions.  

everything is okay :) : it will be small off top but which guns would you seen in 7DTD and why?

12 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

everything is okay :) : it will be small off top but which guns would you seen in 7DTD and why?

please understand Matt I bought this game when it was alpha 11 but did not start playing it fully till alpha 19.5 it is now at a stage where to me it's playable, mostly I am a builder and an explorer, zombies are not really my thing but they make for an interesting enemy. As to weapons I have seen more on youtube than I have found and feel that they have most of the field covered the Tactical Rifle would cover whatever  modern day rifle you choose it to be, we wouldn't want to get bogged down with too many with just small variations. Actually in a scavenging situation you would most likely take parts of multiple rifles to make the one you end up using, but from there there is the sniper rifle, the marksman rifle that I have never personally found so can't give an opinion on so I am happy with the weaponry include in the game. I am glad they choose the Kukri shaped machete, it is my preference and like of this weapon that made me start this discussion, and although I know many will disagree with me I feel swords should be added, but that because I am a sword master and own several bladed type weapons.....but then I am weird and definately born in the wrong time zone.

34 minutes ago, mr.devolver said:

Well, I'm not an expert, so I have nothing to add there I'm afraid, but I'd always agree that Kukri is one terrifying weapon, that's for sure and I'm glad they chose that design out of all designs that exist for the purpose of this single machete that is available in the game.

yes I agree, it is why I thought I would ask, because the knowledge and the history behind the Gurkha's and their weaponry is a subject dear to my heart and I only wish I had been alive during the colonial year and been born in Nepal.....lol

24 minutes ago, Lord Gem said:

please understand Matt I bought this game when it was alpha 11 but did not start playing it fully till alpha 19.5 it is now at a stage where to me it's playable, mostly I am a builder and an explorer, zombies are not really my thing but they make for an interesting enemy. As to weapons I have seen more on youtube than I have found and feel that they have most of the field covered the Tactical Rifle would cover whatever  modern day rifle you choose it to be, we wouldn't want to get bogged down with too many with just small variations. Actually in a scavenging situation you would most likely take parts of multiple rifles to make the one you end up using, but from there there is the sniper rifle, the marksman rifle that I have never personally found so can't give an opinion on so I am happy with the weaponry include in the game. I am glad they choose the Kukri shaped machete, it is my preference and like of this weapon that made me start this discussion, and although I know many will disagree with me I feel swords should be added, but that because I am a sword master and own several bladed type weapons.....but then I am weird and definately born in the wrong time zone.

yes I agree, it is why I thought I would ask, because the knowledge and the history behind the Gurkha's and their weaponry is a subject dear to my heart and I only wish I had been alive during the colonial year and been born in Nepal.....lol

Honestly halabards would be better that sword in my opinions- well zombie can't eat brain if they can't reach you but i think it would be to OP. swords are quiet good againt normal zombies but against fat or wright long range is neccesary -  honestly hm katanas could be terrible against zombies with iron or steel armor ( or riot armor) but morgerstein for example could be quiet usefull . well hammers in real life are quiet good weapon against armored targets  . Honestly pike+ motorbike could be quiet good but i think saber could be quiet usefull because motorbike is faster that horse. 

47 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Honestly halabards would be better that sword in my opinions- well zombie can't eat brain if they can't reach you but i think it would be to OP. swords are quiet good againt normal zombies but against fat or wright long range is neccesary -  honestly hm katanas could be terrible against zombies with iron or steel armor ( or riot armor) but morgerstein for example could be quiet usefull . well hammers in real life are quiet good weapon against armored targets  . Honestly pike+ motorbike could be quiet good but i think saber could be quiet usefull because motorbike is faster that horse. 

ok I mean this in the funniest way possible....but what is is with Polish people and pikes or lances against armor. That's what they did to try and stop the Germans when they first invaded during WW2....lol.....anyways in this case you would be very right a pike/halbert/lance is the prefered hand weapon to my opinion in this game....it's called a spear and is my first weapon of choice devolving to blades only as a secondary in case the spear becomes to worn or you throw by accident....which at the beginning I did a lot. But yes as the Carthaginians showed the phalanx of pikes is almost unbeatable....lol

53 minutes ago, Lord Gem said:

ok I mean this in the funniest way possible....but what is is with Polish people and pikes or lances against armor. That's what they did to try and stop the Germans when they first invaded during WW2....lol.....anyways in this case you would be very right a pike/halbert/lance is the prefered hand weapon to my opinion in this game....it's called a spear and is my first weapon of choice devolving to blades only as a secondary in case the spear becomes to worn or you throw by accident....which at the beginning I did a lot. But yes as the Carthaginians showed the phalanx of pikes is almost unbeatable....lol

Personally, I wouldn't use a stabby kind of weapon.  Too big of a chance of it getting stuck and that would mean death in close quarters.  A slashing or bludgeoning weapon would be way better.  But better still would be ANY ranged weapon.  :p

23 minutes ago, Maharin said:

Personally, I wouldn't use a stabby kind of weapon.  Too big of a chance of it getting stuck and that would mean death in close quarters.  A slashing or bludgeoning weapon would be way better.  But better still would be ANY ranged weapon.  :p

oh I agree that range from a zombie to be paramount to survival, in real life you don't respawn, but a spear is the longest range melee weapon and is a slashing weapon....just think of any old chinese historical war movie you've ever seen.....my preference for hand weapons has always been a critical flaw in today's era but it's a flaw I know and I don't bring a knife to a gun fight 

A large kukri is definitely one of the top 5 zombie apocalypse melee weapons. (I'm also partial to the chinese war sword)

That said, it is not exactly wide-spread or widely known, limiting its use in a game.

That's like the first time I saw the SMG ingame and was wondering why it wasn't suppressed because it clearly looked like an MP5SD.

Turns out it was simply an artist's impression of "a submachinegun".

9 hours ago, Lord Gem said:

honestly because it was working against russians and sweden soldiers. Honestly in 1939 germans was using cavalery troopers too. but polish soldiers never rushing on tank but sometime on halftrack because they could throw granade inside. But anyways - spear have too much smaller dmg in my opinion, so i use sledgehammer + knife to finish zombie when i have small stamina.  honestly shame that axe is bad weapon in this game. 

Honesty fork if someone sharpen them enough could be good "swarm" control melee weapon.

I hope next "7DTD" will have medival setting.  @Gazz this is true that Madmole like medival?

6 hours ago, Gazz said:

A large kukri is definitely one of the top 5 zombie apocalypse melee weapons. (I'm also partial to the chinese war sword)

That said, it is not exactly wide-spread or widely known, limiting its use in a game.

That's like the first time I saw the SMG ingame and was wondering why it wasn't suppressed because it clearly looked like an MP5SD.

Honestly: police zombies in riot armor , soldiers etc so rondel knife could be usefull as hell 

Well MP5 in every variants is the most "common" type of modern smg- honestly if you want to find toy gun, prop to movie , typical smg in game it will be MP5.

I know eastetic is not important in military but most guns made after 2005 looks like " hm we need to create looking diffrent enough to avoid being sue"

15 hours ago, Lord Gem said:

.....now does anyone want to comment on my original question about the Machete

If you are refering to "why?", then I probably can throw some light on the issue:

A few times people were complaining about this or that gun in the game being not correct, i.e. having some part that isn't found on the original gun (I think one of those discussions was about one of the sniper rifles in the game)

The answer by a developer was that the guns are representations of a class of weapon and not meant to be 100% accurate real life weapons. The sniper rifle in question was said to be a mix of two or more real life guns for example. (all info extracted from my faulty memory, so don't quote me on that)

EDIT: Ah, gazz answered as well. Naturally as a coder/designer he has to blame the artists 😁

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Gazz said:

Thanks for the response it was just a whim and yes I am aware that most people don't know what a Kukri really is, but  I was pleased and liked the fact that it was included in the game.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

If you are refering to "why?", then I probably can throw some light on the issue:

A few times people were complaining about this or that gun in the game being not correct, i.e. having some part that isn't found on the original gun (I think one of those discussions was about one of the sniper rifles in the game)

The answer by a developer was that the guns are representations of a class of weapon and not meant to be 100% accurate real life weapons. The sniper rifle in question was said to be a mix of two or more real life guns for example. (all info extracted from my faulty memory, so don't quote me on that)

EDIT: Ah, gazz answered as well. Naturally as a coder/designer he has to blame the artists 😁

yes I had figured this out about the rifles, but in a time when there are no remaining firearms producer you would cobble together many types of weapons to make one that works for you and does what you need it to do. Perfection is a target, but can never be reached as it can always be improved upon.

The Kukri is not the only blade in the world that is also unrealistically called a Machete.  There are a plethora of other weapons that also share the same misnomer.

Also as someone who minored in linguistics, I recognize that as much language as people use - people are actually REALLY bad at language.

I can tell you with confidence that linguistic science also takes that disparity into account.

27 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

So your grandfather now used an AR-15 in WWII? Wth are you smoking?

so you are the military expert of the channel....yes you are correct that my grandfather couldn't have use the AR 15 in WW2 that was a comment I made of the cuff as it is from my grandfather and he did fight in the war....I ASS U MEd. you are correct and the 1st Canadian Rifles do not exist and the first Gulf war didn't occur....please feel free to continue to make an ass of yourself and tell me what I am and what I did....I do not purport to be a firearms expert, I will leave that to you

27 minutes ago, Ramethzer0 said:

The Kukri is not the only blade in the world that is also unrealistically called a Machete.  There are a plethora of other weapons that also share the same misnomer.

Also as someone who minored in linguistics, I recognize that as much language as people use - people are actually REALLY bad at language.

I can tell you with confidence that linguistic science also takes that disparity into account.

yes language is our biggest fault as a race, unless you use mathematics to communicate it is impossible to be 100% precise, I am not upset by the word machete, it is the fact that the Kukri is such a little know weapon with a very large history 

Edited by Lord Gem (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, Lord Gem said:

so you are the military expert of the channel....yes you are correct that my grandfather couldn't have use the AR 15 in WW2 that was a comment I made of the cuff as it is from my grandfather and he did fight in the war....I ASS U MEd. you are correct and the 1st Canadian Rifles do not exist and the first Gulf war didn't occur....please feel free to continue to make an ass of yourself and tell me what I am and what I did....I do not purport to be a firearms expert, I will leave that to you

yes language is our biggest fault as a race, unless you use mathematics to communicate it is impossible to be 100% precise, I am not upset by the word machete, it is the fact that the Kukri is such a little know weapon with a very large history 

AFAIK, the Canadian military use the C7 and C8. They do not use the AR-15.

Similar weapons, but it's funny someone would put those together and then insist the machete should be called a kukri.

1 minute ago, Treb said:

AFAIK, the Canadian military use the C7 and C8. They do not use the AR-15.

Similar weapons, but it's funny someone would put those together and then insist the machete should be called a kukri.

well thank you for your comment, I was wrong I always thought this rifle was an AR-15.....so I just did some research to figure out what it is....as it saw use unfortunately not during WW2 as I said but during the Korean war and I just inherited them and really don't care about them....and we all know the Korean "war" didn't happen....personally the FNC1A1 is my weapon of choice, and the only weapon I have personally fired in the military....other then qualifying with certain other weapons....but checking it out right now I found out what I have is an EM-2 British rifle.....again not that I care as I am not a Firearms expert....I left the army the year before they introduce the colt and am glad I did.....again I did not purport to be an expert and most of my knowledge of the military comes from the 80's, I am an amature military historian with a focus on the Colonials and Napoleonic period, I have also studied some stuff of WW2 but focused on the Pacific Campaign and not the European continent...but feel free to tell me I am a liar and fake it really just reflects on yourselves and not upon me....to those I might have mislead with my comment that my grandfather fought in WW2 with an AR-15 my most profound apologies I know I have scarred you for life.

PS by the way what is the acronym AFAIK mean? I stupid too see