why is the Machete called a Machete

Lord Gem

there is only one type of machete I know that comes in this shape and I feel it should be giving the credit for it as it is one of the deadliest weapons employ by man. It is called the Kukri, it is from Nepal and was at one time the sole weapon of the Gurkha.....this isn't a big thing but I was wondering why the developers made the machete this shape and did not give the credit where due when they did.....if anyone would like to chime in on this with their opinions please feel free. Also a note this is not criticism, it is and opinion that I thought I would share, if I felt critical about it I wouldn't play the game and be having a blast surviving the Zombie Apocalypse....lol

19 minutes ago, Lord Gem said:

there is only one type of machete I know that comes in this shape and I feel it should be giving the credit for it as it is one of the deadliest weapons employ by man. It is called the Kukri, it is from Nepal and was at one time the sole weapon of the Gurkha.....this isn't a big thing but I was wondering why the developers made the machete this shape and did not give the credit where due when they did.....if anyone would like to chime in on this with their opinions please feel free. Also a note this is not criticism, it is and opinion that I thought I would share, if I felt critical about it I wouldn't play the game and be having a blast surviving the Zombie Apocalypse....lol

because it's looks like typical 80' action film or post apo movies's machete

To be fair, the Kukuri is a form of machete. So is a lightly sharpened flat stick of metal with a rag for a handle. (Have seen this in Southern Mexico and Brazil)
IMHO we could have a couple of flavors, just like we do for the knife. Bone shiv > Basic machete > hunting knife > Kukuri machete. 

Just now, SylenThunder said:

To be fair, the Kukuri is a form of machete. So is a lightly sharpened flat stick of metal with a rag for a handle. (Have seen this in Southern Mexico and Brazil)
IMHO we could have a couple of flavors, just like we do for the knife. Bone shiv > Basic machete > hunting knife > Kukuri machete. 

Well I'm pretty new to the game and just got a level 1 machete, having been a military historian I do understand that machetes come in many shapes and flavors...the inward curving one is most famously known for its use by the Gurkha's of Nepal...I  was wondering if this was intentional on part of the developers 

6 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Machete meh - bigger problem -> why in navegane (part of USA) there is not any m16????????? why? or scar or saw but.... why we have ak47? why 

the fact is that in the USA I can find an AK47 and it's ammo quicker than any modern or 70 to modern assault rifle, the only difference would be it is most often just a single shot version

2 hours ago, NukemDed said:

sorry, just space.

google 'machete kills again in space'...

nope. fixed reference above 

Ok google it.....very funny but you will note that Machete uses the classical machete to kill everyone, or what I think of when you say the word machete....either the guy or the tool....lol...which was the point of asking this question why design a machete most people are unaware of without some military background 

2 minutes ago, Lord Gem said:

the fact is that in the USA I can find an AK47 and it's ammo quicker than any modern or 70 to modern assault rifle, the only difference would be it is most often just a single shot version

honestly : i don't think USA army or cops will use ak47. ofc bolt action guns will be quiet common but it could be more logical to add m16 or scar - you know there is a lot of  military stuff - like truck base etc so m16 would be better

19 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

honestly : i don't think USA army or cops will use ak47. ofc bolt action guns will be quiet common but it could be more logical to add m16 or scar - you know there is a lot of  military stuff - like truck base etc so m16 would be better

yes military hardware does exists  and it is found in the tactical and sniper rifle, not to mention the M60. But the facts exist because of the ease of obtaining and modifying the AK- 47 it is still the most common assault rifle available to the common citizen, apparently when different groups defend themselves they cite the need to use fully automatic rifles for hunting. As to the M-16 and SCAR rifles if you find them in the zombie apocalypse they will be in the hands of the police and military survivors and I don't think they will want to part with them. As to this subject I am neither complaining or criticizing the developer...first a game that has gone through 19 iterations while listening to their  player base as to what needs to be changed, I my honest opinion this is a very good and "fairly" realistic simulator of end times.....I wish there were more free roaming NPC but that is because I play this as a single player game, by choice, the point of my question and topic was wondering why they did not use the shape of machete found in north america as oppose to the one they did, because the one they did is more often found again with military than in common use in peoples homes 

You have to consider ease of repair as well. An AK-47 is much less likely to require servicing than an M16. It's also considerably easier to clean and maintain without considerable training. Given there are probably about the same number of both in the US, the AK is more accessible because the majority of them aren't owned by the military. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Gem said:

yes military hardware does exists  and it is found in the tactical and sniper rifle, not to mention the M60. But the facts exist because of the ease of obtaining and modifying the AK- 47 it is still the most common assault rifle available to the common citizen, apparently when different groups defend themselves they cite the need to use fully automatic rifles for hunting. As to the M-16 and SCAR rifles if you find them in the zombie apocalypse they will be in the hands of the police and military survivors and I don't think they will want to part with them. As to this subject I am neither complaining or criticizing the developer...first a game that has gone through 19 iterations while listening to their  player base as to what needs to be changed, I my honest opinion this is a very good and "fairly" realistic simulator of end times.....I wish there were more free roaming NPC but that is because I play this as a single player game, by choice, the point of my question and topic was wondering why they did not use the shape of machete found in north america as oppose to the one they did, because the one they did is more often found again with military than in common use in peoples homes 

well honestly topsic on this forum going sometimes strange so i will continue : honestly there is a lot of secret labs, camps etc so it's looks that military guns will be quiet common. and this area was nuked - messiah shotgun probly was probably making 80 % guns for military and rest for civilians. so M16 could be better option, ofc bandits like Duke's mans could have AK47 but i think military will be still common in this region.  Honestly NPC in zombies games are most annoying thing - days gone they were annoying enemies and there was too much of them so in my opinion humans should be extreme rare in 7dtd. What about shape? Probably "post apo design"  of machete. btw honestly  bayonet could be good idea but not good for gameplay so i think it was just " hey steve there is machete in l4d2. Yeah this could be good tier 3 knife. Remember this film with Treyo? This ugly guy? yeah so copy his machete with few change to looks more post apo. Well this is good idea okay."

23 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

well honestly topsic on this forum going sometimes strange so i will continue : honestly there is a lot of secret labs, camps etc so it's looks that military guns will be quiet common. and this area was nuked - messiah shotgun probly was probably making 80 % guns for military and rest for civilians. so M16 could be better option, ofc bandits like Duke's mans could have AK47 but i think military will be still common in this region.  Honestly NPC in zombies games are most annoying thing - days gone they were annoying enemies and there was too much of them so in my opinion humans should be extreme rare in 7dtd. What about shape? Probably "post apo design"  of machete. btw honestly  bayonet could be good idea but not good for gameplay so i think it was just " hey steve there is machete in l4d2. Yeah this could be good tier 3 knife. Remember this film with Treyo? This ugly guy? yeah so copy his machete with few change to looks more post apo. Well this is good idea okay."

Ok just to make sure you do realize for the very greater part that the M16 is no longer use by combat troops of the USA , and the Machete use by his character is the normal shape of the North and South America, while the one used by the Gurkhas is a substantially different shape, I've include picture of both so you can see the difference

main_1502140327-Danny-Trejo-Signed-Machete-8x10-Photo-Legends-Hologram-PristineAuction.com.jpg

Gurkha with Kukri.jpg

1 hour ago, Lord Gem said:

Ok just to make sure you do realize for the very greater part that the M16 is no longer use by combat troops of the USA , and the Machete use by his character is the normal shape of the North and South America, while the one used by the Gurkhas is a substantially different shape, I've include picture of both so you can see the difference

main_1502140327-Danny-Trejo-Signed-Machete-8x10-Photo-Legends-Hologram-PristineAuction.com.jpg

Gurkha with Kukri.jpg

Yeah but m60 if i good remember too but i'm 99% sure they keep them still so "conscripts" will get them ( and m1 garands , m14 and more and more). so this is quiet the most american gun (modern) it would suit better that ak 47 - so m60 suits well (l4d2 have this too) mp5 yeah  this was popular guns for "american soldier" in movies.  Ofc 7dtw can't have 100 models of guns so m16 better suit in my opinion - i think find dead american soldier with ak47 in secret lab could be strange. Ofc usa army change guns but i think for example MK 16, KH416 etc could be added because law ( nobody want to be sue by big company with lawyers right?). So if this game have place in germany lmg would be mg3 because of that 

My mistake - i mean Victor Reznov'machete from cod WaW - honestly i was sure Treyo use this same machete in call of the dead cutscene (well mandela effect) . 

Reznov%27s_Machete_WaW.png

Ok just to clarify the air, I am an ex-military of the Canadian Armed Forces from the 80's....so my knowledge is dated, I believe the current designation for the combat arm of the US military right now is the M4, the M1 Garand was the rifle from WW2 bolt action with a 9 round strip clip to reload....a very good gun for it's time. I do think .....and this is just a opinion because I have not researched it, but I believe the only use the M16 for training battalion and National Guard reserve units, quite possibly for the Marines as they only get hand me downs from the Ordinance Corp of the Army in charge of their supply and only if the Nave is allowing them more them bows and arrows this month, ( for those of you that cannot figure it out this is a joke that most Marines will recognize). I do see the little knife that is inside Machetes coat and yes it is similar shape but not quite as curved or long as the one in 7 Days to Die, of course the one I choose for my example is the full size version of the Kukri, not the normal 12" one of the Regiment. Unfortunately most people have only video games and movies to go by and don't understand the heritage that comes with certain weapons, and it is for that reason as well as to see if the developers would answer as to why they choose this particular shape to be the Machete. As well I would ask where you were from because the last time there was a draft or conscripting in the USA was the 60 and 70's for the vietnam war, I do believe all of their armed forces are volunteers.

16 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

I did not realize you were a moderator till I was looking at your avatar other than your message.....yes it would be nice to have several versions of the machete .....and yes the ease of using, modifying and caring for the Kalashnikovs, not to mention that everyone in the States seems to have one would make it my initial source if I was looking in the end of days....lol....Great Game

9 minutes ago, Lord Gem said:

Ok just to clarify the air, I am an ex-military of the Canadian Armed Forces from the 80's....so my knowledge is dated, I believe the current designation for the combat arm of the US military right now is the M4, the M1 Garand was the rifle from WW2 bolt action with a 9 round strip clip to reload....a very good gun for it's time. I do think .....and this is just a opinion because I have not researched it, but I believe the only use the M16 for training battalion and National Guard reserve units, quite possibly for the Marines as they only get hand me downs from the Ordinance Corp of the Army in charge of their supply and only if the Nave is allowing them more them bows and arrows this month, ( for those of you that cannot figure it out this is a joke that most Marines will recognize). I do see the little knife that is inside Machetes coat and yes it is similar shape but not quite as curved or long as the one in 7 Days to Die, of course the one I choose for my example is the full size version of the Kukri, not the normal 12" one of the Regiment. Unfortunately most people have only video games and movies to go by and don't understand the heritage that comes with certain weapons, and it is for that reason as well as to see if the developers would answer as to why they choose this particular shape to be the Machete. As well I would ask where you were from because the last time there was a draft or conscripting in the USA was the 60 and 70's for the vietnam war, I do believe all of their armed forces are volunteers.

i'm from Poland and we talk about "zombie situation" not typical enemy like russians - cops send redneck to fight with zombies in 1978 dawn of the dead and probably in l4d2 (this is theory) so well against zombies everyone is soldier and usefull.  Now about guns  - i mean more as "aestetic and if we can use this for free" stuff that technical stuff- honestly in Poland before WW2 we had +- diffrent bolt action rifles. So it was a mess. 

And why M16 could be better in 7dtd ? because" eastetic" - the best example will be Military Base | Painkiller Wiki | Fandom it have even similiar graphic. 

M16 suits to USA army , survivors and PMC.  MP5 this + bandits. AK47 to "exsoviet" countries and africa. 

In cod WW2 you can find on omaha beach ppsh . In next mission- SWT.  If it could be there? yeah but not in such a number - but G43 is missing and that's hurt a lot. 

in cod cw in firebase Z you have OMEGA soldiers ( special unit of KGB) with american gun ( it could use it ofc but it's looks stupid).

In contagion you can find M1 garand and it'suits good - you have old houses, guns shops etc. it's looks logical - but mp40 could looks stupid. 

In cod MW2019 you have K98 and MG34 - okay this have sense - a lot of this guns were send on east. But blunderbuss would not suit good right?

Honestly it is shame that a lof of vietnam games doean't have for example mosin , ppsh for vietcong. But it understand why so they put the most iconic guns. 

Do you know that Valve add to L4D2 cars from 60-80' because of law? 

So - AK 47 could be better after nukes but M16 more suit to this setting.

I think they add this shapes because it's looks rly cool and "post apo"