A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

I am also getting this error after generating a new map. I'm not using any re-used saves or mods. Any ideas?

I suspect a bad map generation. I've been running Nitrogen maps on my server for a long time, and from time to time I do get buggy, even weird, maps that are not usable. I just delete it, generate another map, and eventually I get a good stable error-free map.

well, it does work under linux if launched from a terminal, from that folder. from a filemanager, nope.

If you are using Thunar, it is by design. The Thunar devs, in their infinite wisdom, disabled by default the running of scripts. Look here: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/hidden-settings. Look for the setting /misc-exec-shell-scripts-by-default. I did this to enable it:

xfconf-query --channel thunar --property /misc-exec-shell-scripts-by-default --create --type bool --set true

Then you can run Nitrogen from the filemanager. YMMV...works for me

Today I played around with Nitrogen and compopack 34, generating 8k, 10k, 12k, 14k and 16k worlds, all with the same settings. Few cities, mega sized. Mostly flat. I first tried it with a lot of mega sized cities, and the 16k map maxed out memory usage and crashed. I don't have enough memory in the box to run that kind of map. Soo I used few megasized cities. This is the memory the server and the client consume:

Server memory: 27GB

Client memory: 29GB

Server memory: 19GB

Client memory: 22GB

Server memory: 17GB

Client memory: 19GB

Server memory: 14GB

Client memory: 14GB

Server memory: 8GB

Client memory: 13

8K with lots of mega sized cities

Server memory: 11

Client memory: 16

Note that after the initial load, both the server and client will drop memory usage by a few GB. This is unfortunate, because systems with borderline memory that might have been able to run the map, will crash on the load because they can't handle the peak. A 10K map runs with 14GB ram, but might peak at 17GB or so to load, crashing clients with only 16GB ram.

Note that the memory used by the map depends on the content of the map. Lots of stuff equals more memory. Boring vanilla maps don't use as much memory. Fully loaded 16K maps use more than 32GB and while they don't really require a beast of a machine to run on, you do need a lot of memory.

All of this was run under Slackware 14.2+, 5.4.25 kernel, 32GB ram. Server has a GT710, client has RTX2600. Both have Ryzen <I forget which> 16 virtual cores. 3 SSDs in each box.

Anyone who might have an error when running the generate button. You can try this

#3 Out of memory error:

-if you see a out of memory error, you either run a 32 bit Java version, or did not reserve high enough heap memory. You can edit the .bat files to start the generator with more memory (4 Gigabytes should be enough for a normal sized map, defined with the -Xmx4G parameter, increase it as needed)

on my Windows i found that i had 2 versions of Java installed. I fixed this by editing my environment variables and added/modifying the value "JAVA_HOME"

1) Windows Key + E then right click on "This PC" -> Properties

2) click on "Advance system settings"

3) click environment values

4) check under variables for a setting called "JAVA_HOME", if it exists edit the value and point it to the 64bit version mine was "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_251"

If it doesn't exists then click New. Set the name to "JAVA_HOME" and the value to the path of your 64bit java installation.

Has anyone succeeded in adding ravenhearst PIOs to Nitrogen? The prefab list is for 5.5.3, and those prefabs are no longer available for download. Is there a more current prefablist, or does anyone know where the older prefabs can be found? Same with Darkness Falls, prefab list for Nitrogen is out of date.

Edit: I gave up on ravenhearst. I did some parsing of the Darkness Falls files, and it looks like they draw heavily on compopack. In the end it wasn't worth the time to hack custom POIs into a Nitrogen map without the mod itself - too time consuming.

Edited by zootal (see edit history)

Hi dudes. Today I have started to play this map, I share preview (city mega size, and lots of cities, towns, farms...). I think it works fine and I'm really happy with the map, but I'm reading this thread and now I'm worried: Do you think it will keep working fine when I start to visit the cities? I want to know if the problem with throughtput is only when rendering that mega cities or it is always when playing on this kind of map. I have 16Gb de RAM, i7, 2Gb NVidia GPU

1211172417_previewMap3.jpg.7dd861f26a0b7f2239d7b1e26041b13b.jpg

So I was generating a 16K map (just for fun to see how Long it would take, no actual Intention of playing on it)  and then came across this in the very end (see Picture)
As you can see, the cmd window shows an error, but the Nitrogen window doesn't. 
to this Point I don't know if it already failed, or if nitro is still working on something in the Background. 

cheers.

nitro error.png

As far as I can see it is internal problem of the application. It is multiThreaded and one of the Threads actually becomes lack of heap, meaning there are too many objects in the heap and GC could not clean it up in time or they are yet pointed from some other place.

If you start the program from a jar with console command you can alter the amount of memory dedicated to the heap of java with following:  

java -Xmx6g myprogram

here 6g is 6Gb of RAM just note how many you need. myprogram stands for compiled java jar application.

BTW when you download nitrogen you have a 'start_8G_Ram_16kMaps.bat' which is already preconfigured with 8Gbs of RAM for nitrogen and is meant by devs for 16K maps.

On 4/25/2020 at 1:05 PM, NazarKo said:

Hi, I am writing through Google translator. Can I have a NITROGEN for alpha 17.4, because the version in the post for 18 alpha. I am not comfortable playing alpha-18, as my performance drops a lot.

It's on the first page .. ABOUT half way down, if you look.

older A17 version:

NitroGen for Alpha 17 (stable)

Edited by gpcstargate (see edit history)

Hi there, I'm sorry if this has been asked but I couldn't find a definitive answer by searching. Does this work with 18.4, I;ve recently updated from 18.3 and generated a new map last night and some buildings and blocks looked off, like they were covered in a  near translucent block you couldn't see through or destroy, but could walk through. I didn't have this issue with 18.3 so was just wondering. Thanks.

It seems Nitrogen requiere a dedicated section at this forum, we are many people asking about this great editor xD

By now, I have played a 8192x8192 size map with a friend, tha last screenshot I shared here, with ultra size cities, lots of citites, countrys, rednecks, POIs, etc.

The result: An "old generation" i7 16Gb RAM 2Gb NVidia get out of RAM many times, with about 1 hour playing. However a "young generation" i7 16Gb RAM 2GB Nvidia works well with graphics at medium, so I think this is the minimun requirement for such a map.

I really love this game 😛

Hello,

Every time I generate a world, the pictures attached happens, every single time.  Happens with custom settings, default settings, 4k/6k/8k maps.  Tested map generation on my laptop then copied to my PC to run, same deal.

You will note I am using the CompoPack add on, also happens with vanilla poi's and settings, so its not that.

Literally cannot make a map without this odd event of non rendered world happening.

Oddly enough, snow biome appears to render and work fine, you still get the square ish hole overlap though.

It appears that ive noticed a few others have this issue but unresolved.

So many people have this nitrogen maker working so must be something more on my pc with the generation but I am at a loss as to what it is.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

Many thanks.

20200504173943_1.jpg

20200504173952_1.jpg

20200504174013_1.jpg

20200504174109_1.jpg

Edited by Panachronic (see edit history)

23 hours ago, Panachronic said:

Hello,

Every time I generate a world, the pictures attached happens, every single time.  Happens with custom settings, default settings, 4k/6k/8k maps.  Tested map generation on my laptop then copied to my PC to run, same deal.

You will note I am using the CompoPack add on, also happens with vanilla poi's and settings, so its not that.

Literally cannot make a map without this odd event of non rendered world happening.

Oddly enough, snow biome appears to render and work fine, you still get the square ish hole overlap though.

It appears that ive noticed a few others have this issue but unresolved.

So many people have this nitrogen maker working so must be something more on my pc with the generation but I am at a loss as to what it is.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

Many thanks.

20200504173943_1.jpg

20200504173952_1.jpg

20200504174013_1.jpg

20200504174109_1.jpg

Hi looks like your occlusion video settings might need changing ..and the 2 top grey/beige/brown pics look like the biomes.png needs to be put through the fixer in tools/nitrogen folder..

Edited by pieman (see edit history)

When i try to play a nitrogen created map I always get an error when the quest triggers to locate the nearest trader (right after placing a campfire). Just gives a nullexception error and displays the trader at 0.0km. I do not get this error when using a RWG created map even a map from the v17 RWG, though that has wonkiness of its own.

I am using 18.4 but the nitrogen download is 18.2..not sure if this is causing a problem with the quest? The only manual change I have made is to set skillpoints per level to 2 in the xml, but it doesnt cause an issue with base maps.

Is there a way to manually set the trader for this quest or any other workaround?

EDIT: It seems like it was tied to selecting the compo pack in  Nitrogen, when i switched to vanilla the prefabs started showing up

Edited by Solys
Solution found (probably) (see edit history)