A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

You can use the mask to spawn cities and towns. (green and red dots)

There is an example in the resources folder.

If you space the cities right, you can get a pretty even distribution of city-pois over a large area.

The city-size "mega" is already quite large by itself. At one point the game will get into problems with the amount of POIs nearby.

Crongratulations dude, that interface is some sexy looking - interface... well done keepup the kewl work, lovein it.

Just gonna gen a 12K map and looking forward to testing it been a few months.. :smile-new:

There are lots of new features and polished elements included too.

The generator has changed quite a bit internally.

I seem to recall reading a post about this not replicating the same pois in a town. I added compopack 40, so there should be plenty of pois to choose from when generating, but I've seen the same poi adjaent to itself several times now in just wandering a world in game to see whats generated.

Maybe that check got bugged along the way?

With default road widths the cities feel cramped compared to vanilla... would a border of 1 or two blocks around each poi be added to space them apart better?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure one of the options added recently does this. Did you explore the generation options?

I'm talking like a full 8k map that is nothing but a giant city. Or at least a 4k map. There are no current options for this as far as I am aware.

Yep, that was it. I like the new options! Is there a way to generate Wasteland biomes in the same way the desert and frozen biomes are made? The craters are neat, but I want to do a map that's mostly wasteland without it being ENTIRELY wasteland.

I'm really trying to get more Wasteland Cities especially.

All the info is basically in the prefablist.

Every city places citycenter, downtown, houses and industrial POIs.

The chance for each POI in a city is the same. But the generator will only try to pick each POI once per settlement (to avoid ugly repetitions).

If you want to DOUBLE the change of a POI appearing just copy paste its line in the prefabslist.

This is considered a new POI type to spawn then.

For the colors for each zone-type I have posted a list here somewhere. In the first post is a list (a user translated them into colored text.)

I'm always on the lookout for the NEPA prefab and I can't find it in a city so I copied, changed and added two lines to the prefab list:

Original line:

xcostum_nepa_base(by_Eihwaz),Commercial;Industrial;ResidentialNew;ResidentialOld,0,-2,26,20,25,alone;mountain

Changed and addd:

xcostum_nepa_base(by_Eihwaz),Commercial;Industrial;ResidentialNew;ResidentialOld,0,-2,26,20,25,alone;citycenter;downtown

xcostum_nepa_base(by_Eihwaz),Commercial;Industrial;ResidentialNew;ResidentialOld,0,-2,26,20,25,alone;citycenter

I still can't find the NEPA prefab in or near an entire single tiny city map.

My expertise is limited to copy, change and paste.

I'm probably doing something wrong ... lol

The list-entry looks ok

You can see in the generated prefabs.xml (text search) if the POI was placed, and its location

To find it easier on the map, you could add it to the zone "custom_outback_size_1"

This will make it show up in orange on the previewmap

OK, thank you, I'll check it out.

Hi, I've been generating a few maps and trying them out, then got into making my own biome maps specific to the town and terrain generated by Nitrogen, now I'm on to making height maps.

I made one for Australia just because it's a good size land mass surrounded by water.

I have an issue, how can I get Nitrogen to place cities/towns on existing land instead of making it's own islands.

Here is the issue and what is generated with more or less default settings: http://prntscr.com/pzuctn (red line explained below)

Here is the height map, as you can see where it's placed towns in the middle of the water with long roads there is no land, it's water: http://prntscr.com/pzubrv

(why does Nitrogen flip the height map btw, initially took me a while to recognize I had actually made Australia, just that it was flipped, lol)

Then I found this strange issue: http://prntscr.com/pzu6is That is located where the red line is above which is just black in the height map and should be filled with water just like the rest of the ocean, not sure why it parted the water and put a line of trees down.

Is there any way we can get a better explanation of the following parameters and exactly what they influence or are responsible for.

TER_MIN_HIGHT = 4

TER_WATER_SPAWN_AT = 33

TER_BASE_HIGHT = 35

TER_MAX_HIGHT = 255

I have tried various parameters and still get my cities and towns spawning islands out at sea, also found more of these strange water divisions with biomes out in the sea.: http://prntscr.com/pzv4xs

Thanks for this cool tool!

Hi, I've been generating a few maps and trying them out, then got into making my own biome maps specific to the town and terrain generated by Nitrogen, now I'm on to making height maps.

I made one for Australia just because it's a good size land mass surrounded by water.

I have an issue, how can I get Nitrogen to place cities/towns on existing land instead of making it's own islands.

Here is the issue and what is generated with more or less default settings: http://prntscr.com/pzuctn (red line explained below)

Here is the height map, as you can see where it's placed towns in the middle of the water with long roads there is no land, it's water: http://prntscr.com/pzubrv

(why does Nitrogen flip the height map btw, initially took me a while to recognize I had actually made Australia, just that it was flipped, lol)

Then I found this strange issue: http://prntscr.com/pzu6is That is located where the red line is above which is just black in the height map and should be filled with water just like the rest of the ocean, not sure why it parted the water and put a line of trees down.

Is there any way we can get a better explanation of the following parameters and exactly what they influence or are responsible for.

TER_MIN_HIGHT = 4

TER_WATER_SPAWN_AT = 33

TER_BASE_HIGHT = 35

TER_MAX_HIGHT = 255

I have tried various parameters and still get my cities and towns spawning islands out at sea, also found more of these strange water divisions with biomes out in the sea.: http://prntscr.com/pzv4xs

Thanks for this cool tool!

Hi, first, check if you use the most recent version.

Then: what you need to use here is a mask to have more control over the landscape and POI placement.

In the resources folder is an example of a heightmap and mask working together.

The mask can define areas that are blocked to spawn POIs (all the ocean in you case), and also the town and city spawnpoints.

The spawnpoints are just red and green single dots (the game marks a spawnpoint for every green (0,255,0) or red (255,0,0) pixel it can find.

Better is to place a few more pixels then nessecary, as the generator will spawn cities randomly if it runs out of spawnpoints.

Its will still place as many cities and towns as selected from the city/town menu. So change those values accordingly.

Select all the ocean as non-transparent in the mask (make it blue for example). Only fully transparent areas allow POI placement.

Have a look at the example mask and make a map with it to see it in action.

Choose the advanced option import_HM & mask.

And weather you want to load both from the resources or your map folder.

------------

The game has issues with placing water evenly. Especially when the water volume is very large.

I usually try to keep the ocean quite shallow. This seems to work better for placing water in it, without those distribution bugs.

There is not much I can do from my side. Its the water code ingame...

--------

TER_WATER_SPAWN_AT = 33 -> hight the water nodes in large lakes is spawned,

TER_BASE_HIGHT = 35 -> minimum Height POIs will spawn, to avoid spawning inside lakes

Best is to keep your Hightmap at similar values -> Oceans having darker RGB than (33,33,33) . Maybe something like (27,27,27)

The generator can read the configs, but is tuned to those values. As there are also maximum Heights for cities to spawn. I would not strife too far from those ranges.

-----

Turn off roads when making test runs to see the placement. Its way faster to generate.

----

The game uses a "flipped" coordinate system, compared to the images.

The reduce processing time, the generator is only flipping the preview and exported data at the end. Thats why the imported heightmaps and masks are upside down.

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

@Damocles: Is there Any way of adding a setting in the prefab list abit like Alone or Mountain that ONLY allows the spawning of prefabs in it to say a limit of 1 per map not per zone... Abit like Rural did or maybe Wilderness or SuperRare...

Ive tried 10 maps with different bits of code & my Canyon Prefab still spawns on average upto 6, Id prefer to get this down to 1 with an absolute max of 2 pref 1... Thanks

EDIT Once I create the map can I go into the Prefablist.xml & delete all but one & have that work so I can atleast keep the number down before starting the map on the server or in SP

Edited by Tallon (see edit history)

There is a zone flag called unique. This limits a prefab to only appear once.

Ill try that, Is there a way to set the base level of a Flat map currently its 38 Blocks deep.... We use to be able to dig down 55 Blocks id require at least a min of 46 so that the prefab spawns without the last 7 layers sticking out... Thanks

Tried the following twice & didnt spawn at all :(

War3zuk_Canyon_Cave,COMMERCIAL;RESIDENTIALNEW;RESIDENTIALOLD;RESIDENTIAL,0,-45,56,58,44,unique

Edited by Tallon (see edit history)

You need to still add it to a zone like alone;unique

Since its deep, best would be the zone mountain.

Else it might end up cropped.

Unique only assures that its used once max. But not that it will get picked. So the map should have enough pois of that zone to make it likely to appear.

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)