A19e Nitrogen - UNSTABLE

Damocles

The POIs dont check for the type of biome currently. They spawn regardless, and only look for the terrain. (mountain huts spawn on higher elevation, thats about the only additional logic)

There is a new feature that avoids spawning on burned forest or wasteland. But that works only if those areas are small. (as I do it in my map design with the craters). Else the POI placement might run into issues.

The POIs dont check for the type of biome currently. They spawn regardless, and only look for the terrain. (mountain huts spawn on higher elevation, thats about the only additional logic)

There is a new feature that avoids spawning on burned forest or wasteland. But that works only if those areas are small. (as I do it in my map design with the craters). Else the POI placement might run into issues.

Ah maybe not for snow then but for the burned forest having biome data already done and being able to import it along with the height and mask would be a handy thing to have. gives more flexability to mappers and a cleaner preview image when done.

I can have a look at importing a biome map instead of generating it, so it will show up in the preview.

If no biome map is in the output folder, it will generate one (with the snow mountain tops)

Thats would be a great feature thank you most appreciated :D

your doing a great service for the community and lsitening to new ideas is a massive plus thank you.

Would this be to much of a pain to implement?

irregular/random:

* sizes for: city, town, oldtowns?, custom settlements

* road conditions

- - - Updated - - -

I've copy and paste the compo pack prefab folder into the 7dtd prefab folder. But they dont show up in game. I'm apparently doing something wrong.

you have to copy all files, not the folder itself, of combopack prefab folder into 7dtd prefab folder

Does anyone have an idea as to how to define the size of the biomes generated..? In particular the size of the wasteland and burned biomes are always very small. Looking at the default Navezgane map you can see how large the wasteland and burned biomes are.

Thanks

In case the generator stops at "... detect biomes ...",

turn off the "no POIs in biome" setting (to no limits)

There is a bug that can occur.

-> new version 0.465: bugfix for the detect biome loading

I think that it could be me and my expectations....

See the Alpha 18 Navezgane maps.....

https://imgur.com/31KVdih

and then a newly generated map with this latest tool....

https://imgur.com/bVK0KId

with the Navezgane you are aware of four defines biomes.

With this tool you are aware at first glance of the Snow and Forest biome, two. The Wasteland and then the burned biome are very small and fragmented.

I applied that setting you noted as well as to have Nitrogen use these settings....

https://imgur.com/AsJo3xB

Nitrogen.thumb.jpg.e12ef2b52a939f92305bd548704e53d1.jpg

perhaps it is a limitation of the tool to not have four distinct biomes if the user wishes to do so like in Navezgane.

I honestly hate the look (and athmospheric effects) of wasteland and the burned forest. Especially when there are long stretches of them. Or you have to spend time in a town in them.

That why I only spawn them in smaller areas (mainly for gameplay reasons, such as finding coal).

Wasteland is not a plausible biome. So I at least put it into craters, to have it make some kind of sense.

You could just replace the biomes.png with one from RWG (same size map), to have the biome layout they are using.

@Drake: I think the reason you island did not work, was that the mask did not fit the landscape. (masked off the wrong area)

You can paint the mask and heightmap in the same orientation.

In game they are flipped horizontally.

You can also use smaller heightmaps and masks than the target world, in case you dont need that high precision of the heightmap. The maps get upscaled as nessesary.

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)

I honestly hate the look (and athmospheric effects) of wasteland and the burned forest. Especially when there are long stretches of them. Or you have to spend time in a town in them.

That why I only spawn them in smaller areas (mainly for gameplay reasons, such as finding coal).

Wasteland is not a plausible biome. So I at least put it into craters, to have it make some kind of sense.

You could just replace the biomes.png with one from RWG (same size map), to have the biome layout they are using.

ah, so it's a design choice to reduce the two biomes to almost nothing. As long as I understand that I can now reason as to why you do not allow percentage sizes for the four biomes. It just seems uneven to me to only have two and not four, they are part of the game.

I understand why you do not like them but I would have a defined larger area of each that could be driven through and visited than a small blip of an burned or wasteland than only seems a few metres in size, just seems strange. I'm not thinking of taking up residence, altho some people actually do that...!

Thanks

Edited by Dibbler (see edit history)

@Drake: I think the reason you island did not work, was that the mask did not fit the landscape. (masked off the wrong area)

You can paint the mask and heightmap in the same orientation.

In game they are flipped horizontally.

You can also use smaller heightmaps and masks than the target world, in case you dont need that high precision of the heightmap. The maps get upscaled as nessesary.

The mask i created was from my older island my bad i have created a new mask as i do it from the preview with no POIs or roads generated makes making the mask abit easier.

so my bad on that one i can now confirm the road masking works very well annoyed with myself i didnt spot that my mask was wrong lol.

@Damocles Excellent advice about using my own biomes.png file. As long as the size of the png file measures the size of the map, 8192x8192 for 8k, could I manually adjust that in something like photoshop to get the biome layout that I would like...?

As long as the biome colours match I guess that should work...?

Thanks again :)

Circles are code-wise very simple. I can think about making some more fancy flattening.

Technically, the terrain needs to be be exactly at the height of the POI to avoid gaps, and I also dont want dips between nearby POIs.

A more fancy approach would have to determine the "common flat area" between POIs

I have to check the trader spawn again. There should be plenty more spawning in 10k.

Did your use a very crowded map? Maybe they did not find a position.

No not really .. there was a lot of open space on the .. I made another one thinking it might have been just a fluke .. but, next map same thing.

I see you have another version up, will download it and see what happens .. Thank you .. the Old Gamer … :02.47-tranquillity:

I use the mountains and mostly green flatlands set-up with snow borders

PS: I found a couple lakes with Dry zones in them [like a pathway or splitting of the sea] just to let you know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 11/16 @ 11:35 EST. US

PS: New 10K .. this one has 9 traders .. If I counted right .. Only thing I noticed odd was most everything is on the East side of map .. But workable. ……….. And we have a lot more settings. :smile-new:

1 .. other thing .. For some reason I'm Not able to load the Combo_39 .. I can select it (the game folder prefablist.txt list shows them .. But the Game itself will not load them … I get a bunch of errors "not found _ will skip" and when map is opened in game .. A bunch of gridded empty lots with just the Vanilla ones here and there.)

I use the resource folder as source .. don't know what I'm doing wrong on that one.

Edited by gpcstargate (see edit history)

I understand why you do not like them but I would have a defined larger area of each that could be driven through and visited than a small blip of an burned or wasteland than only seems a few metres in size, just seems strange.

Im not overly fond of them either (especially after a 75 day playthrough of mainly burning lands) but that said, having options for amounts does make sense for those that do like them.

It would also make sense for destroyed or burned buildings having a much higher chance of being a poi that is generated in those zones to fit their theme.

I never saw an answer.. when you select the custom poi list, what specific file name does the generator look for? Instead of renaming the vanilla list and renaming the new custom list, it would make sense that it looks for a specifically named list.

Also, is there some work around to incread text field length along with increased font sizes? (I'd ideally want to use around 30, and there is plenty of screen real estate for it to fit.)

(This is what I'm trying to read at default settngs from 10 feet away. 16 is the max size I can set to make it more legible, but anything larger the field sizes are too small to fit enough text to determine what the options include.)

nitrogen.thumb.jpg.8a25237ccf60f8f86d9fbe51c7dd5374.jpg

Edited by Gareee (see edit history)

@ Damocles

Didn't know if you saw the updated part.

PS: New 10K .. this one has 9 traders .. If I counted right .. Only thing I noticed odd was most everything is on the East side of map .. But workable. ……….. And we have a lot more settings.

1 .. other thing .. For some reason I'm Not able to load the Combo_39 .. I can select it (the game folder prefablist.txt list shows them .. But the Game itself will not load them … I get a bunch of errors "not found _ will skip" and when map is opened in game .. A bunch of gridded empty lots with just the Vanilla ones here and there.)

I use the resource folder as source .. don't know what I'm doing wrong on that one.

Circles are code-wise very simple. I can think about making some more fancy flattening.

Technically, the terrain needs to be be exactly at the height of the POI to avoid gaps, and I also dont want dips between nearby POIs.

A more fancy approach would have to determine the "common flat area" between POIs

More fancy flattening would be great some form of height calculation similer to how you do the road logic maybe not sure code wise but it would make a huge dfference and seem more natural on the terrain could then apply the same trick to lake placment.

Edited by DrakeBD (see edit history)

Im not overly fond of them either (especially after a 75 day playthrough of mainly burning lands) but that said, having options for amounts does make sense for those that do like them.

It would also make sense for destroyed or burned buildings having a much higher chance of being a poi that is generated in those zones to fit their theme.

I never saw an answer.. when you select the custom poi list, what specific file name does the generator look for? Instead of renaming the vanilla list and renaming the new custom list, it would make sense that it looks for a specifically named list.

Also, is there some work around to incread text field length along with increased font sizes? (I'd ideally want to use around 30, and there is plenty of screen real estate for it to fit.)

(This is what I'm trying to read at default settngs from 10 feet away. 16 is the max size I can set to make it more legible, but anything larger the field sizes are too small to fit enough text to determine what the options include.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30594[/ATTACH]

Only just figured out how to create a biome.png file. The game is pretty picky about the colours being exact. Thankfully there is a fixing tool within this mod which helps no end.

https://imgur.com/BMqYDBd

My first try for a 12k map, more of a proof of concept than one that I'll use.

But at least I'm understanding how to adjust the biome file to change the default sizes and positions of the biomes.

Thankfully paint.net will do this.

Thanks for including the biome fixer tool :)

@ Damocles

Didn't know if you saw the updated part.

PS: New 10K .. this one has 9 traders .. If I counted right .. Only thing I noticed odd was most everything is on the East side of map .. But workable. ……….. And we have a lot more settings.

For CompoPack you need to download the pack also, and install the prefabs.

NitroGen is only telling the game to load those. But they still need to be in its Data/Prefabs folder.

The included list (by me) is for pack 39

There are lists for pack 40 (first post in the links, and another user here in the tools section)

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?28057-Compo-Pack-for-Random-Gen

Edited by Damocles (see edit history)