A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

7 minutes ago, Nef said:

So how many times has it been asked "when is it coming?" so far? 🤣But no seriously I was going to start my server back up but saw "alpha 20" in Twitter, should I wait, or is it like a year out yet? 🤡

Not going to happen this summer, that much I can speculate with a 95% chance of it being correct. In other words, several months.

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Not going to happen this summer, that much I can speculate with a 95% chance of it being correct. In other words, several months.

Then I might start the ol' server up again. Been itching to shoot some zombies, but didn't want to start if it was going to come out in a few weeks and force me to restart my giant base.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:11 PM, MonkCrimson said:

Hey madmole , grads for the most serious game out there .

I always had this in my back of my mind to see zombies overcome the defenses of my base , it seems that you can build really durable stuff in comparison to zombies powers (and even repair them on the fly with just 1 move with the claw hammer ) , is there a possibility to have a siege/tank zombie that spawns not that often but it will specialize in destroying structures or something similar ?

We already have one.  He is called the demolisher...😅

The forums was full of tears for a while...

7 hours ago, Ti2xGr said:

I've been working on a base on an island near the edge of the water at the edge of the map. I made a lighthouse and a boardwalk complete with restaurants, and a place for us to dock our boats. That got me thinking/wondering...Is there any plans for the rivers, lakes, or water border to be "biomes" for placeable POI's like ships, sunken ships, underwater caves, island POI's, etc?

Nope. Biome expansion is not in the cards. In fact, continued biome reduction is in the future when they eventually merge the burnt forest and wasteland biomes into one.

They are also going simple and basic as far as water is concerned in order to get the game out the door. Creating submerged POIs and water play such as boating and currents and such are all things they would consider for the sequel.

4 hours ago, Gamida said:

I am hoping in future they add some underwater poi's else the perk that allows you to hold breath longer doesn't seem to be logical.

I was hoping that they would add some item degradation else perks and mods (diamond tip) that increase durability don't seem to be that logical either...

Just started a T5 clear mission and got sent into the Shamway factory (factory_lg_01 or something). Remember the kitchen on ground-floor? Looted the 9 cupboards there and found:

Shepard's Pie recipe

Spaghetti recipe

Gumbo stew recipe

Vegetable stew recipe

Steak n potatoes recipe

Day 39 gamestage 110 no skill points into the chef thing. Best meal so far was chili hotdog. How can I have that much luck within 10 seconds? Fantastic :D

47 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

@Roland Wouldn't it be an easier process to terminate off-topic messages rather than transferring them here? This thread doesn't serve much of a purpose with that option available.

If you don't come and check this thread then for you it will be just like they got terminated. For those who would not like their posts to be terminated and would like to see how others in the community might have responded to them, they can come here to see and possibly comment back again.

It's just like if you don't like doing quests in the game. If you don't like doing them... then don't do them.

For me, it is neither easier nor harder. There is a button to delete and a button to move and the distance I have to move the mouse and the number of clicks I have to make is the same either way.

Best I can tell, my message was terminated anyway lol. It's not in the main thread or this one. I'm undecided on the multi thread approach, I get why it was done, but it basically just killed both threads as there's basically no discussion in either one now, just once off comments that get moved to this thread where essentially nobody actually reads or replies.

The main thread is a bit less cluttered, but the devs aren't replying either way, so there's no discussion and instead just pages of dev questions with no answers  or other players commentary / opinion / ideas on those questions

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Your message would have been fine if you had left it at that. Perhaps you should focus on making your own messages less cluttered.

I didn't leave it at that, because that isn't my over all intention.

I see why Roland thought it should be done, but I don't agree that it's best. An opinion I am 100% allowed to have, who are you to say what I can or can't say / feel? Especially so after downvoting my post after crying about others doing it to you just a day or two ago lol

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

I have not deleted a single comment from the dev diary. As I look at your history, @Khalagar I see that most of your comments are still in the dev diary and haven't been moved here at all. I disagree with you about this thread being some backwater never visited dumping ground. I think this thread is well read and conversations worth having do carry on here. Both faatal and Madmole have commented to me that they have read this thread. 

It isn't that I am trying to create a multi-thread approach. It is simply that the dev diary is meant to be a 95% Q&A thread with 5% conversation allowed that is in direct response to either developer comments or screenshots that get posted. I get that people used to the old way of just posting anything there are going to have to adjust their thinking which is why I don't reprimand, I just move and keep the dev diary to the types of posts it is meant to have.

We have an entire section of the forum devoted to discussion and speculation and while I hear your feedback as well as Gronk's about wanting the old vibe back in that thread, it is insignificant compared to the mountain of feedback I have received over the years from many in the community who have consistently wanted the dev diary to be informational and specific to developer discussion about the upcoming release.

Also @MechanicalLens I am perfectly happy to field questions and answer feedback regarding this change and don't need anyone going after the critics. There is not going to be a perfect solution that will satisfy everyone. People liked how I separated out developer comments into a locked thread in the past but that took a lot more work and it also did not solve the overall root of the problem that people who were asking legitimate questions about the next alpha were being overwhelmed by the pages and pages of off-topic noise and speculative debating that was going on.

My goals are to make sure that people who post on-topic questions to the developers are having the best opportunity to get their questions answered by the developers. Of course, it doesn't guarantee the developers will answer every question. They have always ignored some questions and will continue to do so. But I am not going to allow a 4-6 page-long debate about LBD or food spoilage or outfits or child zombies or whether dogs should glisten drown out legitimate questions any longer. If you don't like that your post with your opinion about some aspect of the game got moved to THIS thread then open a dedicated thread about it in General Discussions and have at it. Make a poll. Get jiggy.

16 minutes ago, Roland said:

Also @MechanicalLens I am perfectly happy to field questions and answer feedback regarding this change and don't need anyone going after the critics.

You'll regret that decision. I have the capability to turn these forums into a well oiled machine free of all criticism against TFP. You don't want my assistance? That'll be your own doing.

9 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Hey guys, as this is the only real active place here... anybody able to tell me where I can craft the things I have marked with red arrows?! Or can't they be crafted maybe? Thanks.

Screenshot 2021-02-08 231106.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-08 224658.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-08 224732.jpg

Those are window trims in the first image, unsure of the blocks in the middle picture, and the bottom picture has crown moldings I believe. None of these can be crafted.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

You'll regret that decision. I have the capability to turn these forums into a well oiled machine free of all criticism against TFP. You don't want my assistance? That'll be your own doing.

How will I learn if you do it for me? I’ll continue to use my own feeble powers.