A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

The a20 diary says:

• Simplified upgrade path: Frame/Particle Board -> Wood -> Stone -> Concrete -> Steel

Now, I don't know anyone who doesn't upgrade concrete to reinforced concrete. The experience alone is worth it, and the material tends to become abundant. If that doesn't get handled somehow I know there isn't a single base of mine that will not turn into air and the occasional floating glass and steel.

Remember that Concrete and Reinforced concrete are getting merged into one stage of upgrades / blocks, and the new block will be balanced to account for that.  We just won't have to do as many clicks on the upgrade path that we have to do today (what is it today:  Frame - wood - reinf wood - cobblestone - concrete - reinf concrete - steel).

I am not a programmer but I expect TFP will set it up so that Concrete block A (regular concrete) and Concrete Block B (reinf concrete) will be changed into Concrete Block C (the new concrete block for Alpha 20) in order to minimize the work in converting over existing POIs.

3 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

No it's not. UMA works absolutely fine.

Metahuman is NOT THE SAME THING. At all.

One generates custom characters, including clothing. that cannot be changed at runtime.

The other is a completely customizable system and only looks as good/bad as the assets you provide to it.

That screenshot was the non-HD, free assets that came with UMA that I very quickly experimented with. There's a ton of high quality race packs, skin packs, hair packs, etc for UMA on the unity store.

well this give a lot of potential

5 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

No it's not. UMA works absolutely fine.

Metahuman is NOT THE SAME THING. At all.

One generates custom characters, including clothing. that cannot be changed at runtime.

The other is a completely customizable system and only looks as good/bad as the assets you provide to it.

That screenshot was the non-HD, free assets that came with UMA that I very quickly experimented with. There's a ton of high quality race packs, skin packs, hair packs, etc for UMA on the unity store.

They share more in common then the total of their differences. Metahuman is only in early preview and it will do more than UMA when it is further along. You can already apply your own clothing articles and mods to the models, do you understand how modeling works? UMA has poor documentation and takes a lot of time to intergrate and actually make content with. You can shill for it all you want but it is jank and looks like @%$# out of the box. Yeah maybe if someone spends years making all the shaders, materials and maps they can look good but so can anything with that time, dur. It is faster and easier for the developers to make their own models, without some weird pipeline in the way.

Yes I do understand how modeling works.

I've also used metahuman.

Metahuman just gives you an FBX. You CANNOT edit it at runtime like you can with UMA (which is why the player model is UMA, because you can morph the bones, swap clothes in and out).

Therefore, no they don't share more in common than their total differences.

The closest in the unreal store to UMA is this: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/universal-character-customization-system?sessionInvalidated=true

And 2 points you're obviously missing.

1) UMA IS ALREADY IN THE GAME!!!! The player uses it.
2) Updating that and making clothes, models, skin maps, hair, etc... would take less time than the "in house" system they apparently want to do. Simple as that.

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

On 8/10/2021 at 8:40 AM, Matt115 said:

Well anyone know if cities will have "freestanding building" on borders of cites? 

Well i have a questions : well most cities have irregular buildings like  : i mean i city center there is usually buliding near another building etc but suburbs have sometimes "random" skyscraper or factory near forest. will be something like that in a20?

I've seen a lot of lone buildings on the outskirts of cities. I believe one was even the Crack a Book skyscraper.

12 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

I think the crispy one should spawn in other biomes. would fit in ALOT of areas as a aged zombie 

Can you explain... in english

7 hours ago, Roland said:

I've seen a lot of lone buildings on the outskirts of cities. I believe one was even the Crack a Book skyscraper.

okay so i mean : we will get new system of generating cites right in A20 right?  titles looks good but they have regular figures right? i was trying to make picture in paint but i can't put picture here so  let say titles are squares ok? so it will make "visible" border between city and rural area right? so my question is :Will new RWG add buildings near city to make borders more irregular? 

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

okay so i mean : we will get new system of generating cites right in A20 right?  titles looks good but they have regular figures right? i was trying to make picture in paint but i can't put picture here so  let say titles are squares ok? so it will make "visible" border between city and rural area right? so my question is :Will new RWG add buildings near city to make borders more irregular? 

Cities look better than they ever have in my opinion. If you are wondering if urban areas blend into suburban and then rural I would say that there is some of that in some places but in others there is a definite edge to the city and forest begins a short distance.

49 minutes ago, Roland said:

Cities look better than they ever have in my opinion. If you are wondering if urban areas blend into suburban and then rural I would say that there is some of that in some places but in others there is a definite edge to the city and forest begins a short distance.

okay thx it is what i mean :)

8 hours ago, Roland said:

That itself is kinda natural. i mean; i live in a city now that does that (IRL), on one side it kinda just stops cold and turns into a heavily wooded area.

Edited by samljer (see edit history)

Not sure if I  missed discussion on it, but I'm super stoked to play this on the Steam Deck when mine comes in. Has there been any TFP and Valve interactions to help ensure it runs great on Steam Deck? I could honestly see that being a pretty easy advertising source if 7 Days is optimized for it since it's a pretty good contender for the type of game you'd play on a Steam Deck while laying in bed or pooping  or pooping in bed

Then again though, 7 Days can kind of struggle to run on my 1080ti sometimes lol

9 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

without revealing too much i did create an a20 rwg vanilla settings and as you can see by the screen shot i had a lot of traders, and yes some were at cities and some were not.

WARNING - things can and probably will change and the next seed may not have as many.  so as for what can be expected is unknown to be announce because of WIP. wait until later development and maybe some more answers.

sorry for blurring the pic but i am not a dev and not PR. :)

A20.0_2021-08-12_20-51-43.jpg

honestly they are a lot of them. this this big + . Well RWG is going to be better and better. only small thing i want suggest : mannequins should be plastic + scrap iron not stone and have less hp XD pleeese this hurt so much 😭 this is just uberpanzerSchaufensterpuppen (btw i don't wonder why germans are so seriouse when 3/4 of their  vocabulary sounds like way to summon demon or medicin compound) XD

On 8/12/2021 at 7:32 AM, KhaineGB said:

Yes I do understand how modeling works.

I've also used metahuman.

Metahuman just gives you an FBX. You CANNOT edit it at runtime like you can with UMA (which is why the player model is UMA, because you can morph the bones, swap clothes in and out).

Therefore, no they don't share more in common than their total differences.

The closest in the unreal store to UMA is this: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/universal-character-customization-system?sessionInvalidated=true

And 2 points you're obviously missing.

1) UMA IS ALREADY IN THE GAME!!!! The player uses it.
2) Updating that and making clothes, models, skin maps, hair, etc... would take less time than the "in house" system they apparently want to do. Simple as that.

well @KhaineGB - i think converse models from other games is quiet good idea for modders. well some models of characters (alma from fear , civilian zombies from cod ) could suits to 7dtd to die good. Making own good looking characters is rly expensive

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

only small thing i want suggest : mannequins should be plastic + scrap iron not stone and have less hp XD pleeese this hurt so much 😭

So you are perfectly fine with hitting the bunk beds with a tool to beat down the mattresses and hearing metal clinks, but getting cloth as the scrap item?  😉

Just messing with you, the little idiosyncrasies are just one thing I love about this game during the Alpha development.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

So you are perfectly fine with hitting the bunk beds with a tool to beat down the mattresses and hearing metal clinks, but getting cloth as the scrap item?  😉

Just messing with you, the little idiosyncrasies are just one thing I love about this game during the Alpha development.

yeah i just ignore sound but items in eq i can't XDDDD 😂 well i  love talk about randoms stuff. so the bigger problem in last alpha most corpses don't have legs so corpses with legs could be rly something important to add XD

11 minutes ago, Xeen said:

@TFP

Would anyone care to take a stab at explaining CPU core utilization, specifically the maximum number of cores the game engine will utilize.
Also are there any improvements that could be made in the area of multi-core efficiency, specifically in the area of thread loading.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know it uses one core, however I am not an expert on this subject.

10 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Game version? In 19.6 they're made of plastic.

A19.6_2021-08-13_13-19-22.jpg

A19.6_2021-08-13_13-19-28.jpg

A19.6_2021-08-13_13-19-32.jpg

A19.6_2021-08-13_13-19-45.jpg

8 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Make sure you are hitting mannequins and not stone statues  😉

okay i manage what was i problem XD i was hiting frame near them and "plastic" was  catered by stron from frame XD god i was too much tired XD sorry for that guys

Just now, Matt115 said:

okay i manage what was i problem XD i was hiting frame near them and "plastic" was  catered by stron from frame XD god i was too much tired XD sorry for that guys

I was driving my minibike once and managed to drive myself into a hole I dug for a buried quests mission several days before....eh we're human  😁

21 hours ago, samljer said:

That itself is kinda natural. i mean; i live in a city now that does that (IRL), on one side it kinda just stops cold and turns into a heavily wooded area.

live in a small town where about 90% or more of the homes here can throw a rock from their garden and it will land in the forest. Have had bears, moose, caribou etc run through town lol