A small suggestion for ammo storage

Sjustus548

I would love it if we could craft 100 bullets into a box of bullets.  I know this is such a small thing but we have so many 9mm rounds right now that we are saving up for turret use that would save a lot of space to store in box form instead of regular bullets.  Maybe have the recipe take paper or plastic for the box aspect.  Just a small QoL change.  On the other hand if someone knows how to add in a crafting recipe then I would gladly put it in myself.  I'm just not confident enough to go messing with the files too much lol.

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

You already can craft a box of 100 bullets for the price of 80 but you have to find the book that allows you to do it.  Once you open that box it will put 100 bullets in your inventory.

Yeah that's the bulk ammo crafting.  I'm talking about taking already made bullets and putting them back in a box.  We find a ton of ammo while looting and it would be nice to be able to put that ammo back in a box for easier storage.

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

You already can craft a box of 100 bullets for the price of 80 but you have to find the book that allows you to do it.  Once you open that box it will put 100 bullets in your inventory.

They're talking about doing the reverse, sort of. More along the lines of the compacted resource stacks using what's already in game.

On 10/1/2020 at 6:49 PM, hiemfire said:

They're talking about doing the reverse, sort of. More along the lines of the compacted resource stacks using what's already in game.

so packing  100  bullets into pack of  80 ? 😛

but yeah we definitely need this feature .. especially with ammo stacks getting smaller and smaller every alpha (  999  500 250   m19 150 O.o)

if this trend stay we will carry 7.62  ammo in drum magazine m60 and pull it out when needed :D

It seems to be doable. I just tried and did sort of make a modlet to stack 1000 9mm ammo into a box and opened it and got my 1000 9mm back. Everything else was wonky though, the description, etc. I am sure someone with knowledge of modding could probably do this fairly easily and a lot faster. Maybe someone like that will read this thread and put out a modlet that does just that (with all the ammo)

On 10/1/2020 at 6:48 PM, Sjustus548 said:

Yeah that's the bulk ammo crafting.  I'm talking about taking already made bullets and putting them back in a box.  We find a ton of ammo while looting and it would be nice to be able to put that ammo back in a box for easier storage.

I understand what you are saying and I can answer based on MM's statements : Not gonna happen FOR THE MOMENT (I've learned that with TFP "never say never"). The bulk crafting is the intended design for that. Either you compromise and open it to make it usable or you save space. Can't have both. I agree with you though.

That's also the reason why we have smaller stacks of some items compared to others : basic resources stack in hundreds or thousands, but usable strategic resources, like cooked meat or pure water, stack in less quantities.

Having said that, that design could change in the future if way more items are added (in order ease the inventory space) and bulk crafting would still be unlocked by a book.

On 10/1/2020 at 6:32 PM, Sjustus548 said:

I'm just not confident enough to go messing with the files too much lol.

It's not that hard. I made a simple modlet with which you can pack bullets into boxes to save space.

These are only recipes for the standard ammunition. I skipped AP and HP ammunition because you don't find them so often and therefore they are less of a storage issue.

The boxes have to be crafted in the workbench.

CraftAmmoBoxes.zip

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 5:22 AM, RipClaw said:

It's not that hard. I made a simple modlet with which you can pack bullets into boxes to save space.

These are only recipes for the standard ammunition. I skipped AP and HP ammunition because you don't find them so often and therefore they are less of a storage issue.

The boxes have to be crafted in the workbench.

CraftAmmoBoxes.zip 2.16 kB · 2 downloads

How do you do it? I have the vanilla firearms mod that has 45acp and 5.56 and would love to be able to craft ammo boxes

4 hours ago, nightshade said:

How do you do it? I have the vanilla firearms mod that has 45acp and 5.56 and would love to be able to craft ammo boxes

I just added a few recipes that use 100 bullets and paper as resources and as a result you get a box of bullets.

I could certainly modify this for the mod as well. But I have not found an Alpha 19 version of this mod yet. Has the author of the mod adapted it to Alpha 19 ?

3 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

I just added a few recipes that use 100 bullets and paper as resources and as a result you get a box of bullets.

I could certainly modify this for the mod as well. But I have not found an Alpha 19 version of this mod yet. Has the author of the mod adapted it to Alpha 19 ?

https://7daystodiemods.com/vanilla-firearms-extended-patch-a19/

On 10/3/2020 at 6:40 AM, Gazz said:

Adding the recipe is trivial.

We decided against that to avoid recipe clutter.

What exactly is the problem with receipe clutter?

Obviously storage bloat is not anymore?

From my side it could even use like 10 paper to craft 5 stacks of 9mm into one box of 9mm or similar.

1 hour ago, nightshade said:

Thank you. I see the problem. According to the description the boxes should be unlocked when you have completed the Pistol Pete / Sniper book series but this does not work without changing the progression.xml as well.

The attached ZIP file contains the progression.xml. If you copy the progression.xml into the config directory of the mod then the boxes should be unlocked once you have completed the Pistol Pete / Sniper book series.

I also see that the weapons should be unlocked either by the schematics or by the skill. But the latter does not work. I would have to make some changes to the progression.xml but this is a bit more work.

patch.zip

2 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Thank you. I see the problem. According to the description the boxes should be unlocked when you have completed the Pistol Pete / Sniper book series but this does not work without changing the progression.xml as well.

The attached ZIP file contains the progression.xml. If you copy the progression.xml into the config directory of the mod then the boxes should be unlocked once you have completed the Pistol Pete / Sniper book series.

I also see that the weapons should be unlocked either by the schematics or by the skill. But the latter does not work. I would have to make some changes to the progression.xml but this is a bit more work.

patch.zip 402 B · 2 downloads

Thanks! I was wondering why I couldn't craft any boxes.  Looking at the mod I guess they forgot to add the progression xml because its not even there lol. 

This may sound like a really stupid question but is there a way to package existing ammo into a box?

21 hours ago, nightshade said:

I think I'm doing something wrong.... does the progression file go in the mod folder because when I add the files you made it throws up errors and I can't scrap any thing....

It goes in den Config Folder of the Mod. The path should be something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Mods\Vanilla Firearms Extended\Config\".

Do you have other mods installed ?

On 10/15/2020 at 3:43 PM, RipClaw said:

It goes in den Config Folder of the Mod. The path should be something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Mods\Vanilla Firearms Extended\Config\".

Do you have other mods installed ?

Yeah, I have about 37 but none that would interfere with scrapping iron things like cans or nails. I got the ammo boxes to work by copying and pasting that section of the recipe you made into the existing recipe and that solved that issue. the progression xml is the one that is stumping me.

Archived