Custom PC

BioFringe

10 hours ago, BioFringe said:

Newegg is selling EVGA cards still so if you're interested you might want to start paying attention to the shuffle every day. In the past 3-4 days they have had at least one EVGA 3000 offering in each shuffle. I know that it's a long shot but if you're already on a waiting list it's just another opportunity to try. At least the shuffle isn't based off of first come first serve but there is a lot of luck involved. There is an app that has push notifications so you won't miss a shuffle. It's worth the time to check out at least.

I've been checking multiple times every single day. Though I did filter out scalpers from my refreshes (MSRP prices only). Maybe it's a little different in the US, but there's probably no chance in getting one at Newegg.ca in my opinion.

@Roland That video was amazing. I can't believe anyone would put that much effort (and probably money) into making a video like that.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Fox said:

That video was amazing. I can't believe anyone would put that much effort (and probably money) into making a video like that.

Not just making the video, but making the product for the video.  That was simply inspired. Loved the ending.

I finished my new rig last month. I’m fortunate to have a Microcenter in my town and was able tp pick up an amd 5950x and a rtx 3090 pretty easily. It’s amazing to play 7Days with max settings and 4k resolution. My advice, if you have a Microcenter anywhere near you, go often. Their website always says nothing in stock but if you walk in, they have plenty. The day I stopped in, they had five 5950x’s and three 3090’s.

3 hours ago, Star69 said:

I finished my new rig last month. I’m fortunate to have a Microcenter in my town and was able tp pick up an amd 5950x and a rtx 3090 pretty easily. It’s amazing to play 7Days with max settings and 4k resolution. My advice, if you have a Microcenter anywhere near you, go often. Their website always says nothing in stock but if you walk in, they have plenty. The day I stopped in, they had five 5950x’s and three 3090’s.

You just have to be early enough to get a voucher. I stopped in this morning because it was the day they receive product, but did not arrive early enough to get a voucher.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, BioFringe said:

Well it looks like things are getting worse instead of better with even more bad to come. Dare I ask...What company would you recommend for a pre-built? At this point I'm about to throw in the towel and say screw it.

Acer, Dell, and HP.... Avoid at all costs. Even if you're just trying to score an "ok" GPU, they usually ship with a custom model that has that manufacturers specific ROM dragging it down. (Also may or may not have adequate cooling)

I've had good luck with CyberPower and CUK (Computer Upgrade King). You are usually going to get a good value there, and they build quality systems. iBuyPower used to be good, but their quality control has been dropping lately. Still a good choice if you're mostly looking for components though.

You can also take the route of build-to-order systems like NZXT, Build Redux, Digital Storm, or Origin. (There are probably others. This is just want I could think of off the top of my head.)

Jayz did a vid on things to check/avoid recently as well.

IBUYPOWER and DELL are the biggest and most blatant scam artists in terms of pre-built PCs right now. Avoid at all cost. Acer makes decent laptops though, don't know what SylenThunder's experience with them is, but I've not seen too much against them yet.

DigitalStorm jacked up their prices a bit (like everyone else), but their website allows you to customize the build for the most part to your liking (although their website is a bit weird to navigate to get the ones you can customize), so you for the most part, get what you want and they don't ruin the GPUs with bad roms and whatnot. Maybe consider them as well.

It's funny (not really) because as early as 2019 if I had asked that question the response would have been...

"Don't buy a pre-built. Build your own. Watch a YouTube video. It's easy, less expensive and will be better overall."

Oh, how times have changed so quickly.

Thank you all for the informative replies. My research has shifted to a different focus now. Let's see if I can get something that would satisfy my desires. Not just for a system with certain parts but I've been building systems since the 80s. This will be a first (well, since the first and only store bought system that I had at 16).

13 hours ago, BioFringe said:

It's funny (not really) because as early as 2019 if I had asked that question the response would have been...

"Don't buy a pre-built. Build your own. Watch a YouTube video. It's easy, less expensive and will be better overall."

I know right lol, even in the first part of 2020.

I would like to add I would stay away from Cyberpowerpc, I've never been impressed by their build quality (crappy motherboards, etc.), and several years ago I picked up a prebuilt from them and it died (mobo, cpu fried) after the psu shorted out a week after warranty expired. Really the only one I can feel comfortable saying do it would be NZXT, although I've never heard of bad stuff with CUK/Digital storm/Origin

16 hours ago, BioFringe said:

Thank you all for the informative replies. My research has shifted to a different focus now. Let's see if I can get something that would satisfy my desires. Not just for a system with certain parts but I've been building systems since the 80s. This will be a first (well, since the first and only store bought system that I had at 16).

Good luck.  I have been looking for a 3070 for 6 months.  I gave up and started looking for a prebuild because the bottleneck and.....

gave up that route as well because they are price gouging the @%$# out of everyone now.  I really need a new system, this one is 7 years old.  This build has been extremely frustrating.  

On 6/6/2021 at 1:54 AM, SylenThunder said:

Acer, Dell, and HP.... Avoid at all costs. Even if you're just trying to score an "ok" GPU, they usually ship with a custom model that has that manufacturers specific ROM dragging it down. (Also may or may not have adequate cooling)

I've had good luck with CyberPower and CUK (Computer Upgrade King). You are usually going to get a good value there, and they build quality systems. iBuyPower used to be good, but their quality control has been dropping lately. Still a good choice if you're mostly looking for components though.

You can also take the route of build-to-order systems like NZXT, Build Redux, Digital Storm, or Origin. (There are probably others. This is just want I could think of off the top of my head.)

employee monitoring softwar
Jayz did a vid on things to check/avoid recently as well.

You know the GPU situation is bad when Jay makes a tutorial on how to buy a prebuilt 😅

I've built every PC I've owned since I was 12, but man it's tempting to go pre-built for what I need right now....

Edited by rupalimittra (see edit history)

4 hours ago, rupalimittra said:

You know the GPU situation is bad when Jay makes a tutorial on how to buy a prebuilt 😅

I've built every PC I've owned since I was 12, but man it's tempting to go pre-built for what I need right now....

I got extremely lucky when my power supply went out last year in October.  I was able to get everything I needed for my computer around Oct/Nov.  Though I did go with a 2080 and didn't even look / wait for the 3000 series GPUs (I never buy the latest generation when I build the computer, I always go with the previous GPU - so far been fortunate enough to get many years out of my computer before I have to upgrade).

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 1:49 PM, rupalimittra said:

Acer, Dell, and HP.... Avoid at all costs. Even if you're just trying to score an "ok" GPU, they usually ship with a custom model that has that manufacturers specific ROM dragging it down. (Also may or may not have adequate cooling)

I've had good luck with CyberPower and CUK (Computer Upgrade King). You are usually going to get a good value there, and they build quality systems. iBuyPower used to be good, but their quality control has been dropping lately. Still a good choice if you're mostly looking for components though.

You can also take the route of build-to-order systems like NZXT, Build Redux, Digital Storm, or Origin. (There are probably others. This is just want I could think of off the top of my head.)

employee monitoring softwareJayz did a vid on things to check/avoid recently as well.

Watching Jay's videos made me realize one thing sooner than later : no matter the industry, companies will always find a way to screw you over and make more profit off of you, the sooner you realize this, the better it will be for you as a consumer since you will be able to notice those schemes and work around them whenever it is possible. Shop wisely peeps!

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

New video with yet another list of reasons to avoid Dell like the plague. 

Alienware used to be reasonably good gaming systems. Then Dell bought them out. At least this one actually has a PSU, and not a laptop brick.

Yea, that was a hilarious system, the other pure Dell system they did at the beginning was just as bad.

• 3 months later...

1 Year Anniversary Update...

I've given up and decided to just buy a PC from a System Integrator (not a pre-built system). Not sure which one I'll use as I just started the deep dive research process but there are at least 10 good ones to choose from. This will be the first system that I haven't built myself in over 30 years so I'm a bit sad about that but I think waiting for over a year is good enough. How much more could you ask from a PC Gamer?

At any rate, for anyone that would be interested in helping me to seal this deal, I'll probably post a couple of specific question here over the next week or so while I try to figure this all out. The thing that has me hung up right now is picking out the CPU since the 12th gen is right around the corner. I have decided to go with Intel (I know, I know) and I don't care about overclocking the CPU so I had the choices down to 3... the i5 10600, the i5 11400 or the i5 11600. I'm pretty certain that I can't go wrong with any of those choices (I'm upgrading from a 1st gen i9) but now that the 12th gen has entered the mix I'm not quite sure if I should go for that or not. Prices seem reasonable but it would require several other part upgrades that cost even more money (DDR5 RAM and Z690 Motherboard in the least). My current frame of mind is to get the 10th gen CPU with the intention of upgrading to a 11th gen i9 down the road. I think that that should last me a long time between the two chips.

The GPU that I'm going with is the Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti which will probably be the Founders Edition since that's what I expect most of these sites will offer.

Lastly, concerning the PSU, it looks like it will either be 750W or 850W at the end of the day.

Any thoughts or insights are welcome and Thanks Roland for not banning me for bumping this thread (again)...at least not yet :)

Edited by BioFringe (see edit history)

12th gen Intel... I don't know... I think they faked their benchmarks once again like they always do. They benchmarked while using Windows 11 when that version of Windows crippled AMD's performance by up to 25%. Given that Intel claims to be equal or up to 30% better... it doesn't take a genius to figure out what they did. Also, equal to me means possibly slower given the handicap. Also, as usual, Intel is preventing reviewers from releasing any benchmarks on the internet until the product is available for purchase, which is just such a scammy way of doing things.

For the record, the handicap has recently been patched.

I personally would still stick with Ryzen simply because you know exactly what you're getting when you buy it. I'd also avoid DDR5 right now since it's still new with bad latency and as new / better ram releases, those ddr5 motherboards will be older and therefore might not support the better ram properly anyway. Essentially, always wait a year for things like that to get proper support. Also, the new PCI-E gen whatever # we're up to now is still pointless as we haven't reached the limits of the current gen or possibly even the gen before that one with GPUs.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/   Is a decent site to shop at for sort of building a PC as you can pick and chose from a small selection of parts you want, just not really the name brand you prefer unfortunately. Also, expect increased pricing for any PC nowadays. May not be as bad as the GPU scalpers on ebay or whatever, but it's still pretty bad with buildable PC websites too.

EDIT:  Ok, after reading more of your post, if you're stubbornly going to stick with Intel, then you might as well wait for 12th gen Intel 12600KF on a DDR4 based motherboard. Even if it happens to not be as fast as AMD's, it'll at least be faster than 10th and 11th gen Intel CPUs.

I don't know why anyone would waste money on an i9 (or Ryzen 9), unless you actually do a lot of non-gaming heavy CPU based tasks. 4 to 6 cores is plenty for any game allowing more budget for the GPU. And in case you didn't know, RTX 3060 TI is equivalent to RTX 2080, I think the only major difference is that it uses less power.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

Thanks for the insights Fox, very much appreciated.

I'll reconsider the Intel vs AMD for the CPU. You make a lot of good points but for me it's very difficult not buying from the same company in which my last product from them lasted 11 years. I figure that in the least, from me anyways, they deserve a bit of brand loyalty and I just have this feeling that if I switch to AMD I'll have bad luck that will cause me to regret the decision. I know that on paper with all things considered AMD is the way to go to be sure so I'll reconsider. And yes, you're not the first to consider me stubborn but aren't we al? :)

I only mention the i9 to show that with the parts that I'm considering there's still room to grow if need be down the road. My current system is an i9 but that's from a time when they weren't that expensive.

In regards to graphic cards...There are several that I would consider even from the 1000 series but most of the sites that I've looked at that allow you to pick your own parts only offer 3000 series cards to choose from. There are a couple that offer some cards so I'll look hard at them before buying.

Lastly, you have convinced me to avoid the 12th gen for now and all of the new parts that go with it. There's just no reason for someone in my position to be worried about all that right now and to be honest it just caused a headache. I'd rather stick with hardware that has been run through the trials a bit before going full steam ahead with absolutely brand new tech.

The only other thing that is holding me up is choosing between Windows 10 and Windows 11. I haven't found a site yet that offers a choice as so far all of them either offer one or the other. I'd rather stick with Windows 10 so if others tell me to stick with that I'll avoid the sites that only offer 11.

Oh and I'll be checking out Digital Storm today. It was on my list of 10 sites to look into and I'm pretty much only doing two a day until I pick the winner. Thanks again for all your help over the past year.

Edited by BioFringe (see edit history)