first impressions of B173

ElCabong

There is a lot of variability in these games and this could be only me so if you are having a different experience, please post.

I'm at the end of day 2 and working on my base. I have the farm started and most of the base framed.

The loot is better.

I'm finding more food.

I'm still can't reliably hunt chickens and rabbits with the primitive bow. Takes lots of arrows and more patience than I have unless I'm really hungry. I wouldn't fix that.

Big bad things still spawn at night

I can't pick up the iron pot sitting on top of counters. I can loot them from cupboards and sinks.

My problem with the food system is that it doesn't make any sense. If I eat three grilled meats, I shouldn't be hungry 5 minutes later. Likewise if I loot some cornmeal and make two or three cornbread, I should be very hungry in the morning but that should get me through the night.

I think I found an almost full set scrap armor but I don't use it.

A zombie bear spawned about 10 feet from me at night.

Those running shoes I found are going to be hard to give up.

I'm getting the impression that animals can spawn quite close to you during the night. Does anyone know how to check their minimum spawning distance?

Just run at the chickens and club them if the bow doesn't work for you. I do it all the time when I can't see to line up a shot because there's too much grass. "Playing tag with poultry" is my new favorite day 1 mini game (and also probably the title of a picture in the Kama Sutra somewhere).

I like the arrow drop and it's way satisfying to one shot an animal while accounting for distance and all of that.

I just pretend rabbits don't exist early game because I'm not going to spend five minutes chasing one and send volleys of arrows into the dirt for 5 meat or whatever. Even though that death scream is super satisfying...

12 minutes ago, wizard puke said:

Just run at the chickens and club them if the bow doesn't work for you. I do it all the time when I can't see to line up a shot because there's too much grass. "Playing tag with poultry" is my new favorite day 1 mini game (and also probably the title of a picture in the Kama Sutra somewhere).

I like the arrow drop and it's way satisfying to one shot an animal while accounting for distance and all of that.

I just pretend rabbits don't exist early game because I'm not going to spend five minutes chasing one and send volleys of arrows into the dirt for 5 meat or whatever. Even though that death scream is super satisfying...

Rabbit and chicken hunting with the primitive bow takes some skill and patience. I enjoy it. They have done a good job of emulating what a real bow does. I'm usually in a hurry to get to the trader and get my bass started and don't take the time starting out. Chickens are faster in b173. Not sure I could club them but I haven't tried it.

1 hour ago, ElCabong said:

I can't pick up the iron pot sitting on top of counters. I can loot them from cupboards and sinks.

Sure it ain't a cooking pot mine? I found one with no popup, backed off and hit it with a arrow..BOOOM.

So can anybody explain in simple terms what the "poi's may be marked clear" or whatever was at the start of hated's update post means?

I am on B169, and have found the perfect area to live in, and don't want to restart fresh again.. (just did that a few days ago after the death spawn etc when I updated to 169 and ruined my save). What's the risk of staying on my current save?

Running and clubbing chickens is a fun minigame.

For the bunnies, best to just either:

A) ignore the damned things,

B) wait for them to stop and take up the "Shoot me now... if you can" pose.

C) wait for them to fall into your open pit mine, THEN treat them like a chicken.

:D

(can't even run them over with a motorcycle.  Deer, wolves, BEARS you can. not the wee ones.)

oh well.

9 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

Sure it ain't a cooking pot mine? I found one with no popup, backed off and hit it with a arrow..BOOOM.

So can anybody explain in simple terms what the "poi's may be marked clear" or whatever was at the start of hated's update post means?

I am on B169, and have found the perfect area to live in, and don't want to restart fresh again.. (just did that a few days ago after the death spawn etc when I updated to 169 and ruined my save). What's the risk of staying on my current save?

I am sure it was not at mine because I would have set it off if it had been.

18 hours ago, ElCabong said:

Use a wrench on it. Promise me.

18 hours ago, ElCabong said:

My problem with the food system is that it doesn't make any sense. If I eat three grilled meats, I shouldn't be hungry 5 minutes later. Likewise if I loot some cornmeal and make two or three cornbread, I should be very hungry in the morning but that should get me through the night.

What are your days set to? Any recipe less complex than bacon and eggs is going to to result in you eating more often. Activities such as running, chopping, and mining will deplete your food faster.

10 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

To set it off on the counter you would have to jump up on the counter then walk onto it. If you can't pick it up, it's a mine.

It's the same one that killed rick in one of the recent dev streams lol..

I almost got outplayed by a sneaky cooking pot mine on top of a fridge. There was a bag or something on top of the cupboards which I couldn't open from the floor level, I have a couple of points in Parkour so I jumped on top of the fridge, CLICK - had time to react and press S, lost about 70 health (wearing light armour).

Who put that there?? 😄

Also, this is the first time I've put points in Parkour, the doubled jump height spices things up a lot!

18 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

There are mines on top of fridges and walls also....

It does not make sense to put the mine where you're not likely to walk on to it. likewise when I press e to try to pick it up it should blow up in my face but it does not. Perhaps that is what it is meant to do.

It's okay to put it on top of frigerators if somehow you're going to walk on it. Like coming in from the ceiling and going to land on the fridge perhaps or jump onto the fridge to get up into the Attic

On 7/25/2020 at 8:07 AM, ElCabong said:

Are you getting the hungry notification? Or is your food bar just dropping? The first one would be a problem after five minutes, the second would be the normal manner in which the digestive system works. I.E, you eat food and your body starts to digest it and burn it up, that's why you don't get the "hungry notification" or suffer any penalties until about 55%. Just because your bar has dropped a bit does not mean you are "hungry".

As for the second bit about food getting you through the night . . . Are you doing things that use stamina in the interim? If you eat a little and then do nothing until morning you will probably get the results you expect.

None of this is to say that I don't think that the hunger system needs a little tweaking, but overall they have done a fairly good job with it.

Archived